Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A Message To The Dev, Design And Art Team Regarding The Design Of Frames.

Hi there.

In light of information gleaned from one of my previous posts about the current state of the art design of warframes and doing a little research on the side; may I suggest that there we have other designers designing warframes apart from Mynki.

As much as I have great respect for an Artists perogative, the design decisions for some of the warframes beg the question of how they even got out the door.

Zephyr for instance looks absolutely horrible and prevents me from playing an otherwise good frame with interesting abilities because I cannot stand her melted ice cream textures and awful oiled latex look.

It's such a massive travesty when compared with the original fan concept.

Trinity as well with her terrible lobster behind and unimaginative body suit.

It's such a far cry from the previous iterations of Rhino, Excaliber, Nyx and Loki. From what I understand this was designed by an artist called Keith Richardson (?) who made these incredible designs.

I understand that Mynki has the idea of implementing ugly designs or parts of the design to give the frames character. And this I can agree with in principle. I also believe it's an artists choice and judgement to what he produces.

And so my suggestion are alternative meshes and skins to warframes. Perhaps done by guest designers rather than Mynki that can be bought with plat. Such as Excalibers proto skin.

This way people that enjoy Mynki's design can still enjoy that, but those of us that feel it is a barrier to playing those warframes can enjoy those warframes with a more space ninja/guyver look rather than the latex doll look we have at the moment.

Would there not be a chance to get the old designer to perhaps do some work on some of the newer frames to give his perspective on Trinity, Valkyr, Zephyr et all and perhaps implement those at a premium to those willing to pay?

Games such as league of legends do exceedingly well on supplying skins of their champions. Perhaps warframe could do the same but with different designers.

Thank you for reading.

Edited by Divine-Seraphymne

It's such a massive travesty when compared with the original fan concept.

I'm sorry, what?

I'm pretty sure it was a happy coinsidence that both Mynki and the fan concept shared similar traits. There is absolutely no way of knowing which was drawn first unless Mynki releases a dated copy of his original concept.

I'm sorry, what?

I'm pretty sure it was a happy coinsidence that both Mynki and the fan concept shared similar traits. There is absolutely no way of knowing which was drawn first unless Mynki releases a dated copy of his original concept.

Source on this dated concept?

http://puu.sh/8MPyb

Zephyr is one of my favorite frames but I also kind of hate how she looks. I mean she looks cool, I'm just not aesthetically pleased by it like I am wish Ash and some others. I like the OG concept look quite a bit.

I'm sorry, what?

Uhh, Scott said the frame was inspired by Volkovyi's concept, which looks a ton like Zephyr, was wind based, and was featured on Prime Time a bit before Zephyr was announced. The notion that Mynki had the idea before or simultaneously is kind of silly compared to the alternative when you look at the order of events.

Edited by VegetableBasket

I'm sorry, what?

The guy who drew the fan concept got a recognition message and the U12 pack with added plat, if it's still there on the original thread, he even said so.

I agree, some of the frames have some truly bizarre design choices. Banshees one shoulder for instance greatly bugs me as a fan of symmetry. Would be very nice to have a large variety of alternate appearances/skins to choose from as opposed to the current maximum of two per frame (not counting Excalibur or Primes) and a different helmet designer...most of the helmets are just plain ugly.

I agree completely. Some frames have good design, like Vauban (leaving aside clown shoes) and Volt (seriously, my first and most liked frame yet, style-wise). And then, we get lobster-behing frame, "dangly bits" frame and Cone-eater frame, which, with Zephyr and Valkyr, make the horrendous five (though some could be improved with small tweaks, some are just disastrous).

to be honest, I really hate the alt helms. Most of them are just hideous and don't fit the frames they are bound to. Not only that but Zephyr, god Zephyr. Zephyr's original art was excellent but then all these unnecessary assets where added to it and it became this giant, uncolorable Cluster#$%* . Valkyr looks nice, as well as hydroid. But I really think they should try better on these alt helms, and Zephyr is in DIRE need of a redesign (that she's not going to get).

EDIT: I would also like to point out that Nova's *$&@ing neck hasn't been fixed yet, and never will be. Also her Immortal skin makes her look like she got ran over by a dirtbike 30 times.

Edited by Towermice

I like most of mynki's work, but I don't know if I agree with the art direction he's been taking with new warframes by making them so fantasy oriented. (Necromancer, goatman, berserker, bird, Davy Jones Pirate Hentai frame.)

I like most of mynki's work, but I don't know if I agree with the art direction he's been taking with new warframes by making them so fantasy oriented. (Necromancer, goatman, berserker, bird, Davy Jones Pirate Hentai frame.)

I like Davy Jones the Hentai Pirate Frame.

Was this the fan concept or was it something else?

That is infact the original concept.

Also in regards to your list. OP. Things are subjective mate,

Personally I love how Zephyr, And Valkyr Looks. They are some of my favorite frames ingame aesthetically.

With things like Aesthetics, You can't just go all "That looks bad, And it must be bad to everyone else because I think it is." Because it's highly subjective.

(ALTHOUGH, I will admit. I would have much prefer'd the Fan concept over the real Zephyr we have now. As that thing was.. Majestic.)

Edited by SJunior

I actually like most of them, but I do agree that it been lately inconsistent.