Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New Vortex Augment, Good Or Bad?

Dornez

Vauban

Vortex's duration is increased by 70% of its max duration by each vortex thrown into it.

Maxed out only adds 70% of a vortex timer to the initial vortex. So you are wasting energy by using this augment. Unless you are SO busy you absolutely cannot be bothered to look in the general direction of your vortex and press 4. This augment is a waste.

Unless I can spam energy restore and build up to a 40 min vortex in 20 seconds.

If it added 100% or more, maybe I would consider using it. Otherwise another wasted augment opportunity.

EDIT: Did some testing with a maxed augment and Max duration Vortex

1) You have to hit DEAD CENTER of the vortex ball (the little floaty bit). This feat is made infinitely harder due to the awkward arc of the skills throw. otherwise your new vortex will shoot right past and start somewhere else. Wasted energy. THis is by far the most frustrating part, especially if there are mobs and drops flying around the center. It would be nearly impossible to add duration during a firefight. Vortex is thrown at the ground where you want the vortex to be, to add to it, you must change and throw dead center of the previous vortex

2) Max duration Vortex adds 20 more seconds to the existing timer. NOT affected by power strength I got mine up to 180 seconds and called it quits.

Edited by Dornez

I don't personally have the augment but already it's causing debate in my clan, so let's talk about it.

The argument they came up with is that you can simply cast another after the first one dies and get 30% more duration for the same price.

Can anyone come up with a counter argument for this? Is there anything you can recommend about it? All opinions are welcome.

Why don't you just put down another vortex

If it is affected by Power Strength, it may be a good way to counter Transient Fortitude's and Fleeting Expertise's duration losses. Also the idea of putting down a bunch of energy restores and spamming vortexes at the beginning of a defense mission and never needing to cast it again interests me.

Merged threads.

And changed title...........

Updated OP with some testing info and more feedback.

Thread title should still stay as it was. The augment is a waste

Pretty much all the augments have been affected by mods in one way or another.

Strength probably boosts the duration increase.

It does not

flat 20 seconds added with or without intensify on

Edited by Dornez

Vauban

Vortex's duration is increased by 70% of its max duration by each vortex thrown into it.

Maxed out only adds 70% of a vortex timer to the initial vortex. So you are wasting energy by using this augment. Unless you are SO busy you absolutely cannot be bothered to look in the general direction of your vortex and press 4. This augment is a waste.

Unless I can spam energy restore and build up to a 40 min vortex in 20 seconds.

If it added 100% or more, maybe I would consider using it. Otherwise another wasted augment opportunity.

Edit: That'll teach me to go by the announcement and not checking what it says in-game. Announcement mod had the "f" in "for" obscured, and the written text stated "or" as well - my mistake :S

Don't really see the point now that my initial assumption (damn you, announcement page!) is debunked. 70% extra duration is hardly enough of a "Quality of Life" improvement to warrant the 30% less duration you get out of a simple recast, especially considering you'd be likely to check the area where you deployed it anyway.

Had it been a mere "Let's you stack multiple vortices", then fair enough - not the most interesting of augments, but at least it wouldn't detract from the overall (potential) effectiveness of the ability.

As it stands, it's akin to making a Rhino augment where "Iron Skin's health is increased by 70% of its max health by each Iron Skin applied on an existing Iron Skin." - which I can't really see as any form of augment to the ability; "70% extra health now, or 100% later - how much is tapping that button worth to you?"

Havne't tested it yet myself, but considering it said:

"Vortex's duration is increased by 70% of its max duration or each additional Vortex thrown into it.", I assumed that it adds 70% duration base to any single vortex you create, or lets you stack a single vortex instead of having to recast it later.

So you either throw one vortex lasting 170%

Or you throw a second/third/etc. vortex into the first, and make it last 200%(+30%) / 300%(+100%) / etc. longer, depending on how many you throw in the first one.

But I assume this was the wrong assumption to make? :|

Edited by Santiak

Constructive feedback is appreciated, so feel free to post your thoughts in this thread. Perpetual Vortex is useful for setting and forgetting a single Vortex. Instead of babysitting a Vortex and recasting after it ends, you can pump it up with multiple castings then move on to something else. 

Constructive feedback is appreciated, so feel free to post your thoughts in this thread. Perpetual Vortex is useful for setting and forgetting a single Vortex. Instead of babysitting a Vortex and recasting after it ends, you can pump it up with multiple castings then move on to something else. 

I guess sewer camping just got better

Did you test it? It is near impossible to throw another vortex in. Even with a sterile test environment I had to stand on top of the initial vortex in order to hit the "sweet spot". Not conducive to a firefight at all

Vortex is aimed at the ground, adding to the vortex is aimed at center of mass, which is a dime sized ball. Couple that with the arc and swirling mobs and drops...you'll never do it. You need to increase the hitbox to the size of the vortex itself, that way one can toss a vortex into the vortex like the mod says.

and beef it up to AT LEAST 100%, if not 120% to make it useful,

Edited by Dornez

I think what would make it shine is, at max, +90%-100% duration per goat sacrificed to the vortex. By goat I also mean vortex.

I don't really see the purpose in a mod that does the same thing as three others (increase duration) yet only works on one ability. I'm also surprised by a mod that discourages player activity--it seems to be something that's discouraged too much as is for a game with parkour, melee, and movement powers.

And what the point in it? There are alot of topics about that most of augements mods are junk( F. crush, all excal even new, roar etc) There will be no changes to them what so ever.

But... it's harder to hit, and you get less duration?

So it costs 25,000 rep to get your own nerf disguised as an augment?

Narrow Minded and recast Vortex is much more efficient than drain mana with this augment. However, it was very sad. I already thought I could remove NM and increase the radius of Vortex, but no.

Edited by SixApax

Sounds fine to me. But whether it's worth a mod slot or not is anyone's guess.

I think a lot of people judge augment mods somewhat more harshly because you have to give up a slot for them. On ssome frames, this is fine; I have freedom with two slots on my Hydroid, after all. But for other frames that require perfect stat balancing to work where one missing mod throws it way out of proportion, it becomes a big deal in deciding whether or not an augment is worth it.

I personally hope you guys have maybe at least considered the various augment slot/direct augment ideas that have been floating around. I believe they'd free up the system a lot more, if done right.

Personally, I think the thing that would benefit this mod best would be to add pulling range to the vortex affected by the mod, even if the 70% duration was kept as is. Maybe something like adding 5% range unranked to 20% maxed would make the mod viable. I'm not extremely experienced with Vauban, so I don't know if this would be a useless addition, a workable one, or even an overpowered one, but I think it's something to consider.