Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Please Change Pbr To Allow Us To Colour Things Black!

Zareek

I will chant my frustrations about this until the day you address it. There are SO many things in game we currently cant colour black because of PBR. At best it's just medium dark grey. And don't tell me it's for realistic reasons, because metal CAN be coloured black.

I dont know how clear it will be in this image, but you can see it for yourselves if you have the same items:

ddsfsfg_zpsm6g27nzq.jpg

Rakta Ballistica, GREY

Targis Prime (expensive as hell cosmetic): middle part, GREY

Weapon skin: GREY

Ash: BLACK

It's pretty obvious that PBR is flawed in this regard, and quite frankly I think it's unacceptable. It looks like a slow and painful process to PBR everything, but then at least finish PBR before you do this. I really dont want to wait another year to be able to colour my stuff the colours I desire.

-rage mod deactivated-

All PBR I saw could be colored black only the "non PBR" reflective stuff had this white glow to it (like my soma was white before they PBR'ed it now it's black)

I was told the exact opposite numerous times! I hope you are right though.

Edit: I also used to be able to colour Rakta Ballistica black, but NOW it can't. It also looks a lot more warm and shiney in the dark red, which it did not before, implying it IS PBR.

Edited by Zareek

its a physics based material, that's how it would look like if it had that color (dyed) in real life, not everything can be black like that.

PBR just means they are using a texture (or whatever the right term is) that simulates a real life material by using the correct values, it's not a system by it self and its not flawed.

What I'm saying is: the material they chose for those weapons/armor can't be completely black, it always reflects lights. black + white reflections = gray.

Sorry about that - we'll get this fixed up on those items! In defense of my crappy new shaders, this isn't a PBR problem, it's a problem in the tint mask texture! Both old (blinn phong) and new (PBR/GGX) shaders added specular reflections on black tinted materials for sure but the problem with these items is the tint mask that applies your black color choice wasn't fully opaque... artist missed a setting to include the alpha (4th color slot) to the tint mask.

We'll get it fixed up for ya!

Sorry about that - we'll get this fixed up on those items! In defense of my crappy new shaders, this isn't a PBR problem, it's a problem in the tint mask texture! Both old (blinn phong) and new (PBR/GGX) shaders added specular reflections on black tinted materials for sure but the problem with these items is the tint mask that applies your black color choice wasn't fully opaque... artist missed a setting to include the alpha (4th color slot) to the tint mask.

Really appreciate it Steve

Please tell me it's not going to ruin the 'quality' of the PBR we currently have.

The current quality of PBR compared to the old shiny-ness we had before - particularly when it comes to Prime gold - is very lacking (and apparently still not effectively recognized by dev's despite countless topics), and when we were given black energy the quality and depth of powers effects were also seemingly downgraded to compensate. Again, a few topics exist for these concerns as well with little to no feedback. I find a few of the power effects look like opaque paint lines or splatters.

Nvidia Physx is also sorely missed.

Edited by Naith

When PBR released I didn't like the new "black" metallic color, but over time, I've grown attached to it. Especially on my Sybaris and Penta. And I can bet that other players would think the same thing too. If the change is made to  "correct" this issue, is it possible to give us a PBR palette in the same manner of the Gamma Palette since it was palette in response as an apology for people who played the game under incorrect color rendering? I'd love to see PBR as its own palette, and for other players to have it so we can see the cool color designs for our weapons and warframes.

I'd really love to actually be able to play a black Chroma... it's funny than the colors frame can't actually be black. :P

EDIT: Wow. That... that sounded pretty racist.

... yup.

o3o

Edited by DiosGX

Oh nice! A thousand thanks.

Edited by RawGritz

Will exal prime get some PBR too 

Come on, Steve!

PBR for excal prime sounds nice. Hope it happens eventualy.

PLEASEEEEEE ANSWER THIS STEVE! With Excal rework this seem like a better time then ever, and im worried if it doesnt happen now that hes getting so much attention it could potentially be a really long time.  Any answer will do, I just really wanna know if you all plan to do this for the rework or if it is planned to happen a little further down the line. Save us Steve! lol

Also thanks for all your hard work , I really do appreciate it, I am really enjoying the new syandana physics! 

When PBR released I didn't like the new "black" metallic color, but over time, I've grown attached to it. Especially on my Sybaris and Penta. And I can bet that other players would think the same thing too. If the change is made to  "correct" this issue, is it possible to give us a PBR palette in the same manner of the Gamma Palette since it was palette in response as an apology for people who played the game under incorrect color rendering? I'd love to see PBR as its own palette, and for other players to have it so we can see the cool color designs for our weapons and warframes.

You could probably just replicate it with a grayscale.

when everything get's PBR'd will we possibly get a color pallet that gives off a matte finish? like if i want to use pitch black, the shine really just kills the look since it looks like you're just wearing latex