Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Rip Shooting While Wallrunning

S7ORM

With the animations shown in the devstream (#55) where you bounce along the wall (which frankly, look silly to begin with), it seems you'll have to continue to aim your cursor along or towards the wall to move along it, rather than bouncing away from the wall.

This means that A) you cannot shoot while moving along the wall, and B) you'll have to be stationary, hanging on the wall to shoot from it.
Now, any experienced player can tell you that being stationary is a really bad idea, unless you've got a camping strategy planned out. I'll be very sad to see the days of shooting while running across or sliding down walls gone.

Please, DE, I urge you to keep the wall run we have now in SOME FORM, so I can aim away from the wall while moving in the same direction I was before aiming.

Option 1:

... should have a place in the game. Also I'm referring to the nice directional wall running they demo'd a few dev streams back before the wall hopping concept appeared.

I think the biggest obstacle to this are controls. Keeping them usable while having options can be a difficult design problem. I think I have a small solution for it though.

The sprint key seems to only ever be used while we are on the ground currently, I think it could be the key in conjunction with the jump key to decide what kind of parkour we want to do. So here's how I think the controls should look:

Jump at a wall and continue to hold the jump key: Wall Cling

Jump at a wall while holding both jump and sprint: Wall Run

Jump at a wall and TAP the jump key while touching it: Wall Hop (sprint can still be held here)

Wall Running and let go of the sprint key: Wall Cling

Wall Running and let go of the jump key: Wall Hop

Wall Clinging and let go of Jump: Wall Hop

Wall Clinging and start to hold sprint: Wall Run

This seems workable even for console controllers. The main idea being that both runs and hops can be executed while holding sprint, controlled by tapping or holding jump, while wall cling is determined by the sprint key.

Only issue I could see is the delay in wall running if you're already against one when you decide you want to run along it, since it would take a moment for the game to register as holding the key. This isn't an issue when you jump at the wall while holding the key, and is already a problem with wall running presently.

EDIT:
Ok, so, having seen the Parkour 2.0 preview from Devstream #57, I can revitalize this thread and say I was right -- the wall leaping means that if you aim away from the wall while trying to wall run, you will move away from the wall, meaning you won't be wall running anymore.
Why can't we just keep the "Actually running across the wall" in addition to adding?

Option 2 (preferred):

Hold SPACE for a short duration to initiate wall run. Tap space at any point to do a wall leap in the direction of the crosshairs. Tap space again when pressed up to a wall to wall leap again (so, wall hopping).

This would allow us to shoot while aiming away from the wall, and still wall run. Also, it would help with the curved walls that you can run around in one consistent motion, instead of jumping past the curve (Orokin like their curved walls...).

Thoughts?

EDIT2: With the removal of stamina, it doesn't change the fact that the old wall-running would still fit in here. We can infinite wall hop, so why not just infinite wall run.

Edited by S7ORM

*snaps fingers*

if you use Fine Aim while doing things on a wall, switch to sticky Wallrunning?

now we just need to finally ungoof Weapons that have their Fine Aim unusable.

because that's just dumb.

Meh. I normally dont zoom while running. I like my FoV.

I'd rather see something like:

You wallrun normally when you initiate a wallrun, but you can tap space rhymically while being near the wall to do the hopping thing.

Pressing space initiates a bounce in the direction of the camera if your crosshairs are pointing at the same wall you're running on.

Soo they make movement slow..

and at the same time you cant do sh1t.

before was fast and you do load of insane stun.

improvement ......... (¤_¤) I'm looking at you DE

You haven't played with it, none of us have.

You guys seriously have to relax, give feedback after you try the product. I imagine it was the same with touchscreen "wut no buttons? stupid."

• 4 weeks later...

I could have sworn they mentioned something along the lines of if you keep pushing in the direction of the wall regardless of where you are aiming your will keep hopping along the wall? I may be mistaken but pretty sure I heard something line that.

I could have sworn they mentioned something along the lines of if you keep pushing in the direction of the wall regardless of where you are aiming your will keep hopping along the wall? I may be mistaken but pretty sure I heard something line that.

They said you can hop across (implying you can hop along the wall too) but if you're aiming away from the wall you're pushing off of it, so you have to cancel the forward momentum and build backwards momentum to get back to the wall, rather than keeping your forward momentum and just moving sideways.

Ah ok I guess I see what you mean, personally I think we will just have to wait and see, they did "Up the ninja" so I would hope they kept something as basic as shooting while going along a wall, because let's face it, a ninja could do that.

I dont know about everyone else but im really sad to see horizontal wall-running go :(

They could still add it though, Since wall-hopping requires that you press the spacebar over and over they could implement horizontal wallrunning if you just hold down [ Spacebar ] and when you let go you wall-hop.

I was super hyped to see direction wallrunning ( From the first parkour 2.0 preview in devstream 52 ) But now it looks like its pretty much scrapped.

what about mastery tests that require shooting while wallrunning?

This is the only real concern.

Otherwise, wall running and shooting is a literal crap shoot with a support strut sticking out of the wall every 4m on tilesets outside of the void.  I like the idea someone mentioned of holding space and movement is locked in a direction along the wall.

Edited by Littleman88

They could still add it though, Since wall-hopping requires that you press the spacebar over and over they could implement horizontal wallrunning if you just hold down [ Spacebar ] and when you let go you wall-hop.

I really like this idea, even if just for visual effect. 

*snaps fingers*

if you use Fine Aim while doing things on a wall, switch to sticky Wallrunning?

now we just need to finally ungoof Weapons that have their Fine Aim unusable.

because that's just dumb.

They're doing that, y'know. No longer must you noscope with the Quanta: All is well in the world.

It would be wonderful if they bring back the wallrunning more polished in the future, in addition to the wall hopping. It is possible since you have to tap space to wall hop and you have to hold space to wallrun, if that happens i will be more than satisfied that because wallrun looks cooler.

Lol, ahhh, and here come the inevitable doom threads.

Doom? This is legitimate concern from the OP.

There is a legit problem since we cant shoot while wallrunning. We need to be able to shoot. 

This update being all about mobility means that we need to be able to USE that mobility to shoot people!

Still not a fan that I can no longer shoot while wallruning, and I can't slide down walls.

P2.0 definitely still needs some work -- I am getting stuck wall hopping on more edges of objects and walls than I did in Parkour 1.0.

Seriously -- originally, walls with curved tops of little juts would just see the Tenno run up them, perhaps with a bit of awkward spawn between the Tenno and the wall (especially when then sliding back down the wall). Now, your Tenno just jumps infinitely at that edge, hitting its head over and over and over.

Further, we definitely need to be able to aimglide directly into a wall-latch (without letting go of the Aim key). It's frustrating bumping into walls and sailing by, or drifting slowly down instead of clinging so I can jump towards another wall.