Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Matchmaking options to exclude players on certain terms

Zi-Sui

Looking at all the complaints about people having with public matchmaking about other players, I felt this would be in order.

Basically, give us the option to not join any games where there are certain players with certain equipment. Like a non-maxranked weapon on teralyst and tridolon, a relic opening with other Volts, a boring E/SO where Saryn or Volt kills all the fun and so on. So that when we go public, we would have matchmaking options where we could set what kinda frames and weapons and such must players have for us to join their mission.

You could find squads for endo farm easier and would find better teralyst and tridolon squads... it's pretty self-explanatory.

The one and only problem with this that I can think of is, iit would take DE some work. But word of a feature like this and the positive results would bring more players, and make it worth the effort. So there should be financial incentive for DE.

How about it?

Yes there is but this could be faster, and you don't always find squads with the recruitment chat even if you have low standards. It should not be the only solution, it's bad quality of life.

4 Volts in a relic opening is too much when the speed buff doesn't stack. I have the fastest Volt around but someone else overwrites my speed buff with theirs and makes me go slower.

I've come to too many bounties where people level their equipment or are just underprepared. I don't blame them or have a bad feeling about it, it just isn't convenient.

And don't get me started on teralysts and tridolon.

No, recruitment should not be the only option. It's slow and unreliable, this would be faster and with better results.

35 minutes ago, AwkwardLazarow said:

There is always recruitment chat 

I only see that being viable for tridolons, which is what you should be doing if you want a team that is actually competent, or farming fissures for one specific prime component, or hour-long kuva survivals. However, forcing players to waste 10+ minutes trying to assemble a coordinated team for one single mission is both stupid and unviable for longterm use.

Edited by Pizzarugi

32 minutes ago, (PS4)Private_Ventures said:

Nah, just give us a "vote to kick" option. I'm tired of having AFKers in my bounties or my Kuva Survivals. I played one yesterday where a MR2 Excal who got taxied in hid in a weird little corner the whole time, and got to leave with 4400 kuva

Those are unfortunate, but you know there's already afk penalty in game that takes out the rewards from your afk time. And the votekick would just be abused. And it's a different topic with topics around the forum about it.

2 minutes ago, Emulad0or said:

Part of me disagrees because it sees how terrible and abusive of an idea it would be...

But a different part of me agrees because I would never have to play with another Volt ever again...

Both parts have good arguments, so I can't really decide...

Can you tell what's abusive about it? I just don't see it.

1 minute ago, BoarWarrior said:

Those are unfortunate, but you know there's already afk penalty in game that takes out the rewards from your afk time. And the votekick would just be abused. And it's a different topic with topics around the forum about it.

That's why I'm suggest a "Vote to Kick". If 1 out of 4 players votes to kick another, nothing happens, but if 3 out of 4 vote to kick the fourth, he's done.

Just now, BoarWarrior said:

Can you tell what's abusive about it? I just don't see it.

Well, take Limbos for exemple, how hard it would be to find a match if people can just choose to never play with one? This is just an exemple because he is one of the most hated ones (don't know why tho, it's not like he is Volt to deserve that much hate...) 

Just now, (PS4)Private_Ventures said:

That's why I'm suggest a "Vote to Kick". If 1 out of 4 players votes to kick another, nothing happens, but if 3 out of 4 vote to kick the fourth, he's done.

It still gives too much room to abuse it, even though it has it's benefit.

Now can we get back to topic and can you tell me what's wrong with giving us options to not join games with players with certain equipment?

1 minute ago, Emulad0or said:

Well, take Limbos for exemple, how hard it would be to find a match if people can just choose to never play with one? This is just an exemple because he is one of the most hated ones (don't know why tho, it's not like he is Volt to deserve that much hate...) 

True, didn't think of that. But that coin has two sides and one is the players who hate Limbo. I bet new players don't hate him so much, but I could be wrong, given how many Limbos like to use banish. I just mean it would be a QoL addition for limbo-haters too, and it would give banishing Limbos something to think about.

2 minutes ago, BoarWarrior said:

True, didn't think of that. But that coin has two sides and one is the players who hate Limbo. I bet new players don't hate him so much, but I could be wrong, given how many Limbos like to use banish. I just mean it would be a QoL addition for limbo-haters too, and it would give banishing Limbos something to think about.

Well, sure, but then Limbos only get to play with newbies, and the newbies are like "Why are there only four frames in this game" because they only get to play with Limbos because no one else will. 

Perhaps instead of limiting it based on equipment, you limit based on MR. A mastery lock for public play would be interesting. Maybe you wanna help new players, so you set your lock on MR 0-3. Maybe you want a sortie squad, so you set it on MR 10-25.

Just now, (PS4)Private_Ventures said:

Perhaps instead of limiting it based on equipment, you limit based on MR. A mastery lock for public play would be interesting. Maybe you wanna help new players, so you set your lock on MR 0-3. Maybe you want a sortie squad, so you set it on MR 10-25.

Eh, that just cycles back to the old argument of how MR is ineffective for determining player skill.

Just now, Omega-Shadowblade said:

Eh, that just cycles back to the old argument of how MR is ineffective for determining player skill.

Certainly it does, but I think it's better than someone who mains Miragulor to never see another player. Then again, maybe that's what they deserve. I'm just trying to find a way to simplify it so that the more dislike frames can still see play time.

I actually like this idea even though it has a long shot of happening. As others have said here recruit chat is unreliable for missions outside of ESO, Tridolons, and Sorties anymore. Wait times would significantly go up but I'd rather wait longer than have to deal with 3 Saryns in Hydron every time I jump in for a few waves.

There are no bad frames, just players that need help and the occasional troll.  

I dread defense missions with Frost.  Many people simply bubble the target (which ruins my Doom Zaw experience) and don't actually know how to undue it.  I've also seen Limbos that cataclysm a target, then don't bother to Stasis and the target gets demolished.  97% of the "terrible" frames out there are players who don't understand how to utilize a given frame in a squad well.  They need help.  

So yeah, there are trolls out there that do things like build a max duration Nidus, then link to the most powerful enemy at the end of a defense wave and laugh at you when you ask them to stop (true story).  I'd love to be able to kick them.  However, if I and everyone else get that power, it also means that every GOOD Limbo player out there will likely get kicked spawning into a mission before they get a chance to prove they know what they are doing.  

There is already a system in place.  Report Trolls and try to politely educate your fellow Tenno so your gameplay doesn't suck.  I have no idea how many times I've asked Frosts to debubble a target PLEASE.  If I don't get a response, I'll explain how to do it (again politely).  95% of the time, the bubble disappears, a Frost has learned something and I am happy.  If everytime you get an untrained Limbo in your group and you simply say "Limbo f'sucks" instead of trying to help them, guess what?  You are part of the problem too.  

Inserting a kick routine will likely make groupings more toxic and WILL NOT contribute to a more positive gaming experience.  It's the communities responsibility to create a positive gaming experience, DE is a partner in that, not the fully responsible party.

1 hour ago, Omega-Shadowblade said:

Anyone under MR5 in their first time playing has no idea what they are doing.  Cant use rivens, lots of prime weapons, most likely doesn't have prime mods and access to other end gameish type things. 

The afk's are really a problem. As much as the random squads with non sense players doing non sense things. 

Best solution evar. quit the squad and leave the afk do the mission. 3 saryns annoys just leave the squad before starts, simple... Other solution is to find a group of friends.

If you are trying to find be best squad in random play, probably you will find that this is not the best way. Sometimes it is, sometimes it is not. (Luck/bad luck).

I've been playing wf since 2014, as much as reading this sorta of posts because of other "bad players". 
WF is a co op game. If everyone leave the afk's playing alone, the afk's probably will learn something, or not, but that's their problem.

Leave a button to downvote someone on the squad it is a open door for anything else.

20 minutes ago, Omega-Shadowblade said:

K, but does mr 21 mean anything different than say mr 14?

Generally, yes.  One should be ready and expect the occasional exceptions, but GENERALLY higher level MRs will have more frames/weapons available (thus better able to handle any given mission effectively) and also generally have a better chance of having their mods ranked out.  They probably also have a bit more time under their belts and better understand the idea of tailoring a loadout to a mission.  

I am not a fan of the hard MR lines I see in chat either, but to some extent I understand that the bias is based on some reasonably true assumptions.  

Good players make just about anything work, that's the beauty of the game, it's doesn't force you into a specific weapon, warframe, build or riven, the efficiency will vary but not to the point of the objective beeing unbeatable, so filtering serves no purpose, recruit chat exists and provides all the filtering you need, you can do a 30 minute interview on each player if you feel like it.

As for vote kick, discussed already, it will not work as well as you might think, prone to abuse, afk behavior becomes encouraged because the player will try over and over untill all players accept it.

If you have a problem with a player, quit and make a new party, if the player is violating the rules, then report, stop trying to rely on automated systems, if you want punishments to happen then do something.

Edited by KIREEK

6 hours ago, KIREEK said:

Good players make just about anything work, that's the beauty of the game, it's dones't force you into a specific weapon, warframe, build or riven, the efficiency will vary but not to the point of the objective beeing unbeatable, so filtering serves no purpose, recruit chat exists and provides all the filtering you need, you can do a 30 minute interview on each player if you feel like it.

As for vote kick, discussed already, it will not work as well as you might think, prone to abuse, afk behavior becomes encouraged because the player will try over and over untill all players accept it.

If you have a problem with a player, quit and make a new party, if the player is violating the rules, then report, stop trying to rely on automated systems, if you want punishments to happen then do something.

Just tried a quick interview with players in recruit chat for Tridolon. I summarized it into 3 points: What is your chosen frame and build? What is your role in the squad? What is your preferred weapons loadout and tactic for victory. I interviewed six players. The first guy said "f**k you I'll find another squad". The next three didn't respond at all. The fourth both did not respond, and, five minutes later, send me repeated invites to Sanctuary Onslaught. The fifth guy told me it didn't matter, that he could solo Tridolon easily, and the sixth guy finally told me what I needed to know, sort of. "Chroma damage opticor" and then just "invite".

But then my wife decided to play too, and we just went for it together as a duo. She's not super experienced with Gant or Hydro, but we at least demolished Terry, did alright with Gary, but it took forever, so we didn't get to the Hydrolyst. But I would've liked if people were a bit more receptive to strategic planning.

BTW: I'm on PS4, and I use a relatively unusual tactic for Eidolons: I gear up with a max flight speed, no-bounce Kestrel with shattering impact, and break the armor almost entirely, to give us the greatest possible advantage. With the right team, you can Tridolon Cap, and still have fifteen minutes of night left over.  

And as for the Vote-To-Kick, I've already renounced that idea. What I would prefer now, is PLAYER REVIEWS. Imagine if you had a kickass squadmate, some guy that's just absolutely awesome in every way. His fashion frame game is on point, his damage dealt/damage taken is exceptional, and he's using weapons you rarely ever see. Drop that guy a five-star review, to be tallied into an overall player rating.

In contrast, you could leave a review for the leech in your bounty, fishing while everyone else battles lvl 60 ghouls, and still receiving all the fancy loot. You could leave a 1 star review stating "Went fishing while we fought. Caught no fish. 10/10 would abandon."

Edited by (PS4)Private_Ventures
just adding some junk I forgot to

10 hours ago, BoarWarrior said:

a relic opening with other Volts, a boring E/SO where Saryn or Volt kills all the fun and so on

This sounds like your Volt doesn't want another Volt in your team 😄

There are clans and there's the recruit chat. And while I believe that something could be done to prevent some unpleasant experiences, like maybe splitting the eidolon quests and gating them based on the # of time the player defeated the previous one or something, and maybe introduce a report for leeching option (without kicking) to the extend where a player is being banned from using the public option for a couple of hours or so after being reported a certain number of times.

Lastly, you don't seem to be a fan of public runs at all. Also, what happens if no players fit your high standard profile? You gonna solo it? Use the recruit chat? Return here to postulate the game is dead because you couldn't find a team for 2 hours? 😄 Even if you wouldn't pick the last option, you do realize - I hope - others might. The other two options are already available to you right now and there's a clan option too! Also implemented and sorely lackin' purpose 😉