Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is wukong any good?

(PSN)Raging_Storm8853

Question

Just now, AlphaPHENIX said:

They are summoning the Wukong main.

Ftfy :clem:

As for Wukong being good, that depends what you're looking for.

If you're looking for fun, then he can certainly be good. The Iron Staff is an absolute joy of a weapon, and it can deal viable damage (for now) in all of the games relevant content. Of course, if Primal Fury isn't really to you're liking then you're kinda SoL I'm afraid.

If you're asking if he's good from a "useful" perspective, then no, he isn't good. There isn't a single relevant situation in which Wukong is desirable over another tank, and the Iron Staff whilst enjoyable is a mediocre melee weapon due to it's lacklustre range. A polearm, whip or even a heavy blade is likely to be far more effective.

2 minutes ago, Wrum said:

4 to win.

Wukong... Press 4 to win?

When there are plenty of melee weapons better than his 4? Technically you could argue that makes it Press 4 to lose. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

17 minutes ago, AlphaPHENIX said:

They are summoning a Wukong main.

why am i thinking of pokemon in the way u are phrasing it😂

11 minutes ago, DeMonkey said:

As for Wukong being good, that depends what you're looking for.

If you're looking for fun, then he can certainly be good.

If you're asking if he's good from a "useful" perspective, then no, he isn't good.

well kinda guessed he wouldn't be the most useful frame from the number of people playing him...and from that dumb ability to turn into a cloud and do absolutely nothing... 

but im just looking if he's at least a playable frame that's either fun or useful.its good enough for me 

1 minute ago, (PS4)Raging_Storm8853 said:

but im just looking if he's at least a playable frame that's either fun or useful.its good enough for me 

He's playable, yes, just about. A lot of fun if you enjoy smacking things without a care in the world. Beyond that though, you'll struggle to do anything with him.

Very useful if you need high amount of survivability, in non-eidolon non-nulifier environment.

Works terrifically in high level infested and grineer and works well vs high level non-eilodon sentients.

Doesn't have any exceptional damaging, supportive or cc ability, so he is not particularly need in group comps.

So if you like to do a lot of survival with melee solo, he is a decent choice. But if you need to protect someone or something, or slay/cc massive amounts of enemies, look elsewhere.

23 minutes ago, (PS4)Raging_Storm8853 said:

😂

...and from that dumb ability to turn into a cloud and do absolutely nothing... 

I really only Maxed em and moved on so I didn't spend enough time to be an expert but here's my takeaway.

I found Coud Walker(His 3) to actually be his most useful ability to be honest.  If you're getting swarmed you can use it and let your shields recharge.  Plus (correct me if I'm wrong) I'm pretty sure it negates the effects of Toxin while allowing the Proc timer to continue to run out (Any Proc really but this is great to keep your health from getting any lower).  Also you can use it to get behind an enemy or pack of enemies quickly because you can go through the enemies and they can't see you.  And finally if you start reloading a weapon then use this ability it'll continue reloading so you can start firing right away when you re-appear.

I find his 4 to be somewhat pointless actually.  I'd rather use my own melee weapon and I really hated the animations and movement for the combos.  Not NEAR as much fun or as useful as Valkyr's Hysteria.

His 1 seemed to have very little use other than quick punch through for enemies directly in front of you.  It does impact damage and can knock down enemies. But if your wielding an Arca Plasmor I don't think you'll be concerned with such things (Again correct me I'm missing something about this ability)

And then there's his 2 which is only useful if you die.  The concept is good and at first I thought it would be really useful but instead of being set to a timer based on duration it drains energy while it's active so if you DON'T die you'll have wasted all your energy.  The only time I can think you'd use this is if your taking toxic damage and your health is low enough that you know it's going to kill you.  The few times I tried using it in instances where I thought I might die, my energy ran out way before.  I'm sure there is a way to slow this down (maybe duration does that, like I said I didn't spend too much time with him) and a large energy pool would definitely be beneficial so a Flow or Primed Flow would be a must.

Other than his abilities, he does have better armor than a lot of frames so you could stack that up quite a bit.  I really like his weird look and I enjoyed playing around with different fashion frame arrangements with him.

If I was to continue using him I would build him to be pure Melee (With my own Melee weapon)  I'd try to get his armor as high as possible.  I'd increase duration as much as I could to increase Cloud Walker time (and possibly slow down energy drain on his number 2)  And i would boost Efficiency.  Range and Damage could be sacrificed as needed.  So I would definitely throw Narrow Minded on there.  If you had a couple other mods boosting Duration you could probably get away with using a Rank 2 or 3 Fleeting Expertise.

12 minutes ago, withinmyself said:

I found Coud Walker(His 3) to actually be his most useful ability to be honest.

I'd be doing you a disservice if I didn't attempt to explain just how wrong this is, and I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Cloudwalker is 100% useless, seriously. You mention not having really experimented with builds for Wukong, trust me, building even slightly for Defy makes you immortal. There is never a reason to cast Cloudwalker to save yourself, because Defy will simply take care of it.

To make the easiest comparison possible, Cloudwalker is basically the same as your Operator form... just worse in every single way.

Mobility? Operator does that in spades with their dashes.

Finishers? Naramon focus has you covered, opening the enemy to finishers permanently and said finishers deal more damage.

Invisibility/Invulnerability? Again, Operator has that covered... for free.

Apologies if I sound aggressive, I really just want to make my point clear. It is not a good skill at all, and it is absolutely not his survivability skill.

Fair enough.  I wasn't really talking end game play here.  Obviously your operator solves a lot of problems.  But Wukong would be viable for someone early in the game who hasn't reached War Within yet.  And if you can build up Defy like you say i can definitely see that being his best ability. But my short time with Wukong I used Cloud Walker more than anything.  And really he's a completely different frame and play type than what I use.  (Mag main)  I didn't see any use for him because he has no support or cc.  But as an early game Melee Frame I think he'd be good.

4 minutes ago, withinmyself said:

But as an early game Melee Frame I think he'd be good.

Potentially, but on the other hand you can't really get him very easily at early game.

He has a decently high build cost, requiring Argon (limited ofc to the void) and Nitain which is time gated. Plus there's the fact that new players won't have many of the mods required to make Defy even work, because on the basic frame it's utterly unusable. You're left with... a pretty trash frame overall, even for new players.

To clarify, Wukong has 150 energy, Defy costs 50 energy to cast and drains 5eps. That gives you a maximum of 20 seconds of "defying", and much much less if you actually die. Unlike something like Iron Skin which a newbie can activate and forget about temporarily, Defy leaves you with nothing. You could, as you stated, use Cloudwalker in that situation but like... what's the point, you know? Just pick a frame that doesn't need to in the first place, rather than removing yourself from combat and idling as a cloud for a bit.

Rhino will (unfortunately) always be the newbies pick, and that applies to Melee as well, which at low levels he does better than Wukong can.

19 minutes ago, DeMonkey said:

you can't really get him very easily at early game

That is true.   Plus you have to be in a Clan with the research completed to even get the parts. 

I really try to give every frame a fair shake though.  I always look for any possible use that frame can provide.  Maybe he'd be a good mid-game frame.  Also if I'm in a public squad with lower level players I'm not gonna be using my operator.  Kind of a stretch to keep bolstering his Cloud Walker ability I know 🙂 He definitely needs re-worked and they are talking about it and it'll probably happen. 

I just hate when a frame is automatically considered trash/un-viable or on the flip side when a frame is considered the best/only frame to use for (mission/enemy/end-game/eidolon/sortie/etc.).  The best part about Warframe is its diversity of choice.  And that you can play it however you want.  I don't think any frame should ever be completely discarded.  Just like I don't think any one play style should be discarded.  I think everyone should develop their own Warframe experience.  That's not to say it won't change or be influenced at some point. 

My play style with Mag has changed a few times.  As has my build for her.  I've heard a lot of comments about Mag being trash but after Maxing 17 other frames I still have the most fun when I'm playing Mag.  I also still think she's the best all around frame in the game (getting off topic I know)

My opinions of course.  Thanks for the comments.

5 hours ago, withinmyself said:

I just hate when a frame is automatically considered trash/un-viable

I can appreciate that, same with not discarding a playstyle, certainly a good way of looking at things.

Believe me, my decision isn't automatic at all. I've devoted hundreds of hours to playing Wukong and will continue to devote more because I love him to bits, but I'm not blind to his faults :thinking:

That said, people should still give him a try, perhaps they'll enjoy Primal Fury as much as I do.

11 hours ago, (PS4)Raging_Storm8853 said:

Atm i have wukong being built, ive seen reviews on him but they're all outdated. 

So is wukong still good? 

Flashback to Infinity war, talk between Spider-Man and Starlord "it never was"

Honestly, this has been my biggest disappointment with Warframe. Since I came from LoL and there Wukong was my main, I was so hell-bent on getting him only to be extremely disappointed.

He has no passive, his 1 is...there. His 3 is useless, his 4 is worse than any other exalted weapon and most melees. His only saving grace, his 2, requires you to build towards it, forget about using it as a get out of jail card, it has a cast time that feels like ages when swarmed and it drains energy so fast. So you either build for duration and efficiency so you can just press 2 at the start of a mission and forget its there (recast if you keep dying etc.) or you barely get to make good use of it.

Inaros with an Orthos filled the void, however.

Cant rly understand ppl that call him useless. Or even bad. He is nearly immortal if you Build for his Defy(2) and his 4 (Prima Fury) does enough dmg to take out everything on the Start-Chart and i personally can kill Enemies lvl 155 with him just easy. Sure some Stufg like a fully ramped up Gram Prime does outshine his dmg but why is that "useless"?

Even if you dont wanna build for his 4 the pure fact that your are pseudo-immortal make him a nice frame to use in Taff Fights with any Weapon you desire. Wanna play Turret and shot on waves of waves of waves or enemies and dont even blink when they hit you? you can do it.
you wanna be a walking Inferno with your Ignis Wraith but are afraid to leave the Frost Bubble at level 100 enemies? no problem
you wanna shamelessly melee everything to death even at lvl 200? you dont wanna look for enemies to fresh iron skin? or take cover ever? here you go

thats far from useless, only thing rly ruin your day as a wukong is nullfier you didnt see and walk in or Scrambas deactivating your 2. everything else you just can give a Fuk about.

Il y a 16 heures, (PS4)Raging_Storm8853 a dit :

why am i thinking of pokemon in the way u are phrasing it😂

well kinda guessed he wouldn't be the most useful frame from the number of people playing him...and from that dumb ability to turn into a cloud and do absolutely nothing... 

Really depends on your definition of fun. In some situations he's completely broken (like using drifting contact and the gladiator set) and he generally can't die so there's that. I find him sort of boring after a whike so i only play him occasionally. 

Il y a 16 heures, DeMonkey a dit :

He's playable, yes, just about. A lot of fun if you enjoy smacking things without a care in the world. Beyond that though, you'll struggle to do anything with him.

He, he's basically pre-nerf Chroma levels of "there is no I in team so #*!% the team" 😧

Mostly tho if they fixed his modding interactions he could at least do some more fun stuff. 

3 hours ago, Cruelitas said:

Cant rly understand ppl that call him useless. Or even bad. He is nearly immortal if you Build for his Defy(2) and his 4 (Prima Fury) does enough dmg to take out everything on the Start-Chart and i personally can kill Enemies lvl 155 with him just easy. Sure some Stufg like a fully ramped up Gram Prime does outshine his dmg but why is that "useless"?

Even if you dont wanna build for his 4 the pure fact that your are pseudo-immortal make him a nice frame to use in Taff Fights with any Weapon you desire. Wanna play Turret and shot on waves of waves of waves or enemies and dont even blink when they hit you? you can do it.
you wanna be a walking Inferno with your Ignis Wraith but are afraid to leave the Frost Bubble at level 100 enemies? no problem
you wanna shamelessly melee everything to death even at lvl 200? you dont wanna look for enemies to fresh iron skin? or take cover ever? here you go

thats far from useless, only thing rly ruin your day as a wukong is nullfier you didnt see and walk in or Scrambas deactivating your 2. everything else you just can give a Fuk about.

Finally that one positive comment that makes me wanna play wukong unlike the others

Edited by (PS4)Raging_Storm8853

2 hours ago, (PS4)Raging_Storm8853 said:

Finally that one positive comment that makes me wanna play wukong unlike the others

Confirmation bias, anyone?

If you really want to play him, go right ahead. You can make any frame work in this game. It doesn't make Wukong good though, even with his unkillable niche.

2 hours ago, (PS4)Raging_Storm8853 said:

It's only positive because it's grossly exaggerating.

I'm not saying you shouldn't play him, you can have a lot of fun with him, but you absolutely should be aware of his faults before you do else you're likely to be disappointed.

5 hours ago, Cruelitas said:

That's because you haven't played him enough :wink:

I thought I'd made it pretty clear, but I'll try for a different approach.

There is no content in this game in which immortality is necessary, there is barely any content in which it is "helpful" and a similar level of tankiness can be achieved by other better frames like Inaros, Nidus or Rhino. His 2 does nothing else for him, and thus is not a good ability.

Nobody has called his 4 useless in this thread, people have merely (as you have) stated that it's not a good melee weapon. Gram Prime, Galatine Prime, Orthos, Mios, Atterax etc will all out kill it due to their extended range, cost 0 energy to use and don't lose their combo when you get nullified.

As for your level 200 point, that's beyond the realms of content that the game is balanced around, and thus has no weight.

If you want a melee tank, then there are simply better options:

Rhino has mobility, tanking and status immunity, crowd control and a damage buff that easily renders the Iron Staff's high damage insignificant.

Nidus has tanking, status immunity and the ability to group enemies up making swinging a Greatsword through them a piece of cake.

Inaros is incredibly tanky without even using an ability, has status immunity via an augment, and can CC and self heal till the cows come home. Can also cause enemies to be open to finishers far more easily than Wukong.

That's not even mentioning the fact that each of these frames also do something for their team as well, Inaros and Nidus can provide CC and healing, Rhino can buff and CC. Wukong, again, does nothing. He is not a good frame at all, he is objectively bad, I hope this clears up why.

2 minutes ago, DeMonkey said:

There is no content in this game in which immortality is necessary, there is barely any content in which it is "helpful" and a similar level of tankiness can be achieved by other better frames like Inaros, Nidus or Rhino. His 2 does nothing else for him, and thus is not a good ability.

But there isn't content where tanking is necessary either. It's a lifestyle choice. Most frames can get through the content without the need to tank. Tanks just make taking damage easier. Rhino's tanking will go down 15 far in the higher levels.Nidus tanking' becomes hard to manage with killers like saryn on the team. Inaros still will melt under enemies in high levels and his 4th ability makes him completely immobile meaning that if he isn't careful he'll die. Wukong is pretty much the only frame that's really invincible along with Nidus. But I will give you credit for the teamplay part. Although, many melee frames (valkyr, wukong, and ash) all seem to lean towards the solo side of warframe.

vor 15 Stunden schrieb DeMonkey:

I can appreciate that, same with not discarding a playstyle, certainly a good way 

That said, people should still give him a try, perhaps they'll enjoy Primal Fury as much as I do.

^

And i mean it isn't even that bad. I've run a primal rage setup myself for a while... it sure isn't up to par to some lf those meta melee weapons but melee is really that O.P. that it hardly matters whether you do 20% more or less dps.. and that damage is paired with some pretty heavy survivability.

He isn't a rhino wielding a plague zaw but he's definitly fun in his own way.