Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Melee sound feedback

RS219

Most of the updates are great, but I feel some were a bit hit-and-miss.

Jat Kittag sounded great as it was, brutal and clunky. Leaving in the original swings while changing its slam attack to this new sophisticated "shying-whuboom" sound makes it sound out of place now.

Also, the Ohma sounded great as it was, with its striking sounds being the original staff striking sounds. Now it sounds so... feeble when it hits a wall and its electric sounds have been toned down.

Same goes for all fist and sparring weapons, the new striking sounds for all of them feel so underwhelming; you're either gently tapping the wall or lightly slapping your enemies. How to describe... it went from "BOOM BOOMBOOM" or "WHUNK WHACK WHAP" to "plup pup pup".

Honestly, I think the old slam attack sound is kinda better for more than half the weapons changed. The slam attack sound needs to be toned down or removed from weapons and stances that incorporate slams (Rending Crane etc.).

Edited by RS219

It does indeed feel off on some weapons.

Each time when throwing that zenistar disc out, it sounds like I'm fumbling through a kitchen.
Making all pots, pans and cuttlery fall to the ground as I stumble through.

Orthos then sounds like it's about to break anytime soon.
As if chisling my kill count as markers on the walls.
On a plaster/concrete wall like those classic prison movies... but then on corpus steel...

Feeling the same about the slam attack sounds even.
Like whacking a glappid on a wet floor.
Just missing the water splash effects, which my brain expects to see each time, after performing one.

Maybe I just need some time to get adjusted to it.
I dunno.
It just doesn't feel like a 'fit' yet though.

yea, sword sounds are pretty good. but bigger heavier weapons like heavy blades, polearms etc just dont have the right amount of punch. especially when they strike a wall. feels like hitting the wall with a butter knife.

the slam attack has to be the biggest issue. they sound horrible, (and all the same). they dont sound like a powerful physical collision of anything. sounds like a weird corpus energy gun instead. a pew pew slam attack...

30 minutes ago, Worbane said:

The only one that really made me sit back and go "huh?" was the slam attack. I could live with it, but it does seem a bit overdone. Breaking open a chest/crate whatever you call them in this game now sounds pretty weak too. "ta-plink". I hear a lot of folks not liking the slide attack but I hardly noticed any change in that. It was not bad to me and I do have very decent set of home made 2.1 speakers + subwoofer on a Yamaha receiver. EQ'ed flat, not some 'enhanced' *read: stupidly overdone* bass like your typical store bought junk. *Cough*Bose*cough*.

overdone bass is the best for gaming bruh. fken awesome explosions rumbling ur whole table

On 2018-10-14 at 7:40 AM, RS219 said:

but I feel some were a bit hit-and-miss

I feel all these sounds were fired from twin grakatas with +recoil riven.

Nikanas sound like kitchen knives, and 'hitting enemy with nikana' either doesn't exist, is too quite, or doesn't play half the time.

Heavy blades sound like they are swung in slow motion or in extremely dense atmosphere.

Theres enough feedback on slide and slam sounds already.

The only good addition I found are jat kittag swing sounds.

The Arca Titron sound does not work for that weapon. It's a big heavy impact hammer that used to have a distinctive [BAM BAM] sound. Now it almost sounds like a sword or a cartoon hammer. Please bring back the heavy thumping sound!

1 hour ago, [DE]George said:

A lot of the sounds that were released are intended to work with melee 3.0.  However, we are going to take a look at them and tweak them so they work better with the current system.

i said some swears a couple of days ago and got suspended from the ingame chat its been 48 hours and i still dont have access to chat. ive spent hundreds on this game buying platnuim. it will be crummy if i cant chat again as thats half of the game right there. al i want is to once again have access to the chat. i will watch what i say so i dont hurt offend other people. ive submitted multiple tickets but i dont get no answer. i dont know where else to turn. to get unbanned, this is making me seriously depressed how no one answers

17 hours ago, (PS4)RoachxFairy306 said:

i said some swears a couple of days ago and got suspended from the ingame chat its been 48 hours and i still dont have access to chat. ive spent hundreds on this game buying platnuim. it will be crummy if i cant chat again as thats half of the game right there. al i want is to once again have access to the chat. i will watch what i say so i dont hurt offend other people. ive submitted multiple tickets but i dont get no answer. i dont know where else to turn. to get unbanned, this is making me seriously depressed how no one answers

Um, buddy. This is a thread about melee weapon sound feedback. We're discussing how melee weapons sound weird and off here for the latest mainline update, though you being a console player means you have yet to experience it for yourself since the patch will come much later after it hits PC.

From what I understand region chat bans are a "one strike and you're out" kicks for 1 week. You have 5 days left to go. Just go talk in clan chat or something, if you can. I mean, I don't use region chat for this very reason. Did a moderator PM you and tell you why you got kicked?

I honestly liked the old slam attack sound way, WAY more.

That low, powerful "KABOOM" Gram Prime did on Tempo Royale RMB combo was perfect. Now? Half the time when using slam attacks I feel like I'm hitting something with a plastic mop. 

18 hours ago, [DE]George said:

A lot of the sounds that were released are intended to work with melee 3.0.  However, we are going to take a look at them and tweak them so they work better with the current system.

I honestly liked the old slam attack sound way, WAY more. Some other sounds, too. 

That low, powerful "KABOOM" Heavy Blades (Galatine P, Gram P) did on Tempo Royale RMB combo, or spears on Twirling Spire pause combo was perfect. Powerful, satisfying. That's how slamming a huge hunk of metal into the floor should sound like. Same goes for hammer slam attacks.

Now? Half the time when using slam attacks I feel like I'm hitting something with a mop, or a garden rake at best, and many other weapon sounds make me think of hitting icicles with a glass rod. 

15 hours ago, Reifnir said:

I honestly liked the old slam attack sound way, WAY more. Some other sounds, too. 

That low, powerful "KABOOM" Heavy Blades (Galatine P, Gram P) did on Tempo Royale RMB combo, or spears on Twirling Spire pause combo was perfect. Powerful, satisfying. That's how slamming a huge hunk of metal into the floor should sound like. Same goes for hammer slam attacks.

Now? Half the time when using slam attacks I feel like I'm hitting something with a mop, or a garden rake at best, and many other weapon sounds make me think of hitting icicles with a glass rod. 

What bothers me is more the fact that slam attacks now get this very standardized and inconspicuous sound. Don't get me wrong, the previous slam attack sound was also used across most of the melee weapons but it did feel alot more fitting with its generic sound. This "SHYING-WHUBOOM" one on the other hand doesn't fit all melee weapons nearly as well as the previous one did.

Perhaps for daggers and smaller melee weapons they could have stood to have a weaker slam attack sound.

On 2018-10-15 at 11:08 PM, [DE]George said:

Glad to see it's still in review!

For me the worse one so far is Guandao. I dont even notice the sounds of other weapons since they fit. I think. But Guandao stands out for me a lot. The sound just seems wrong. I wish I could word it better. When just swinging the weapon it makes wierd metal sound. I guess it supposed to be the polearm striking the floor or something since its so long, but it bothers me a lot. The slam sound is also kind of wierd. The slashing sound is ok I guess. Although I cant remember clearly what the sounds were before. Which I think means they were better, they didnt stand out that much and fitted better.

Hopefuly this helped somewhat, good luck with fixes.

On 2018-10-15 at 8:08 AM, [DE]George said:

If heavy blades still sound like a small kitchen knife when melee 3.0 is out will it really have fixed the issue? I understand it's an overhaul, I've been with you guys through them all so far.  But why ship a small chunk of a system overhaul then try to square peg // round hole it into the old system?

• 5 weeks later...
On 2018-10-14 at 6:45 AM, Ragingwasabi said:

yea, sword sounds are pretty good. but bigger heavier weapons like heavy blades, polearms etc just dont have the right amount of punch. especially when they strike a wall. feels like hitting the wall with a butter knife.

the slam attack has to be the biggest issue. they sound horrible, (and all the same). they dont sound like a powerful physical collision of anything. sounds like a weird corpus energy gun instead. a pew pew slam attack...

i hate the sword and dagger the sound effects and combo system lacks abit of realism where enemies should block and guard frontal attacks with much more ease so that players aren;t just spamming , otherwise ignoring AI will result in upsetting counter-forces that make warframe CQCrepetitive and curly,players will cheat and use that same jumping slam over and the only fix is to attach starwars and laser sound effects to critical hits, then i'd be convinced, enemy reactions are more important and did u notice  innacurate strkes just makes wosh wosh sounds always like you are missing, a visual change coudl help to reflect these things, but i cant promise anything, the combos are also really close to being finished but seriosly feel unrewarding.

Edited by (PS4)santospizarro