Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New gear wheel kinda sucks

DeadEyedChicken

idk how many other ppl like me have keybound their gear wheel to numberpad, but with the new gear wheel, when u run out of this item it then moves all ur items up a number and when u build more of the item and want to re add it into the number u hotkey'd u have to shuffle all ur gear again, this is mindnumbing pls fix

Wai wai wai ... fix the gear wheel to match YOUR key bindings? Not sure that's how this works. I can understand how it's annoying how a better functioning and more responsive gear wheel that doesn't work with the old systems gear wheel can be ... maybe fix your keybindings?

Edited by Errodin

12 minutes ago, Errodin said:

Wai wai wai ... fix the gear wheel to match YOUR key bindings?

They're not even remotely saying that.

If I'm reading correctly, the problem isn't with THEIR key bindings, but key bindings in general.

Say for example you have the first 12 things on the wheel bound to 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12 on your Numpad, running out of #4 will cause 5 to become 4, 6 to become 5 and so on. Adding that same item back to slot number #4 requires a complete reshuffle.

Assuming I read that correctly, and that is indeed what happens, then that is a problem. It doesn't mean that the new gear wheel sucks in the slightest, but this is an unfortunate side effect that can certainly be rectified.

I propose that the keybind applies to the item, not the slot, so that no matter where on the wheel it is the button will always use it (assuming you have any to use).

21 minutes ago, DeMonkey said:

They're not even remotely saying that.

If I'm reading correctly, the problem isn't with THEIR key bindings, but key bindings in general.

I'm reading it the same way, but in my experience with the new gear wheel, I've never had it happen to me ... I access the gear wheel manually with Q, and I've run out of items or swapped items but never had it fill the gap ... maybe i'm special? or maybe it is a key binding issue revolving around binding the wheel to keys?

Edited by Errodin

1 minute ago, Errodin said:

or maybe it is a key binding issue revolving around binding the wheel to keys?

Probably that.

The old gear wheel would just leave a slot free when the item in it ran out, the new one, due to having extra slots now, probably removes that slot and moves new stuff into it.

So if you have your keys bound to specific things so that #1 always spawns Clem, #2 spawns an energy pad or whatever, having the gear wheel moving about on you and changing things is going to be irritating. Kinda defeats the purpose of the keybind in some respects, if you aren't necessarily getting the item that you bound it to.

But yeah, I personally just use the wheel itself as well, bound it to my mouse wheel though. Q is for my Operator.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, I'm having the same type of issue(s):

Once I run out of a specific item, it removes that item from the gear wheel, and pulls the next in line to that location (so #6 turns into #5, etc..), so then all of my keybindings are off, and there's no way to insert the specific item back into that location; thus, I have to rebuild my entire 40 items on my gear wheel to fit my prior keybindings, and since there are only a finite amount of keybindings that you can use, having 40+ items on the gear wheel doesn't really help in rebuilding the keybindings or the items on the wheel itself.

I like the idea of the gear wheel, but in practice it really doesn't work out very well if there's no way to insert items "between" current slots on the gear wheel.

the older gear wheel is much better... you can organized the wheel to your liking... but now you cant do so... everything you put in, is automatically set to sit next to each item... i prefer my older way of organizing my item.. where i put all the main gear that i use often to north, south, east or west and lesser use item in between.. this allow me to quickly access any item that i like to uses... 

I agree with you about everything moving up automatically when a slot is empty. That's really bad.

I also hate how the gear wheel spins infinitely and everything changes position. It's a complete mess and really confusing. The way it handles in the arsenal is great (no infinite spin, and the first item is always at the top). But then I jump into a mission and it works completely differently.

On 2018-11-12 at 3:53 PM, morningstar999 said:

I may be stating the obvious here but for now just make sure you have extra things in the slot and make sure you leave one/don't use them all? Count 1 as your 0.

Not saying de doesn't need to optimise key bindings but for now just use common sense? 

If you'd like to talk about stating the obvious -- then think about that not always working out. It's obvious that if you have an auto-scanning companion, or if you're using med packs, or boosters, or whatever -- that they/you can accidentally go through your last one, especially if you're in the middle of a mission and you're not really paying attention (and you shouldn't have to) to your inventory numbers. Talking about common sense would mean that whomever coded this would at least have added in an "insert" option to put something betwixt two other items. 

Your "obvious" and "common sense" options are just being condescending to every single person out there who might accidentally use all of their items without noticing -- which is pretty much everyone.

20 minutes ago, Machin3Doll said:

If you'd like to talk about stating the obvious -- then think about that not always working out. It's obvious that if you have an auto-scanning companion, or if you're using med packs, or boosters, or whatever -- that they/you can accidentally go through your last one, especially if you're in the middle of a mission and you're not really paying attention (and you shouldn't have to) to your inventory numbers. Talking about common sense would mean that whomever coded this would at least have added in an "insert" option to put something betwixt two other items. 

Your "obvious" and "common sense" options are just being condescending to every single person out there who might accidentally use all of their items without noticing -- which is pretty much everyone.

I always take note of what I have left everytime I glance and use something, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  but I don't use binded keys for it. 

when using something up and using the gear wheel normally it leaves a gap, (at least for me) so its a binding issue not a gear wheel issue i guess? I did say its something that needs to be sorted but I was trying to point out it's not like you cant for the most part can at least find ways to get around it for now, it annoying but the op was saying the whole gear wheel sucks when its not that, the gear wheel is a great deal better than it was before all things considered. it just needs some adjustments but that could be said about most of warframe.