Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Official Necro Ability Discussion

[DE]Megan

I noticed how a lot of people want to change desecrate, or complain about the energy cost really. Why not just put equilibrium on? you seem to get a ton of health orbs when using this skill so that should not be a problem *consider this, with stretch and streamline on you can cast it for 35 energy across a decent range. If you get even 2 health orbs with a maxed out desecrate you are already up in terms of energy. at the same time, if you are using it only for 1 or 2 corpses why are you even fighting? each time i cast it, i tend to get a field of red but not much in terms of blue, meaning equilibrium is a god like mod for nekros. Just saying....

As for those with the Shadows of the Dead, i would like it changed a bit, since lets face it those 8 really arent that useful if you get yourself killed using it. Of course chaining Terrify then Shadows of the Dead would solve a bit of the issue, it wouldnt help if the entire room is after you and you dont take a little cover. My idea would be for it to be a duration buff for you, that makes everything you kill (and that they kill cause its annoying not to have shadows sometimes) resurrect till the end of your personal duration. Im not sure what numbers would be good to balance it, but a minute long duration would not be bad *naturally affected by mods* Focus strengthening them would be nice, but not entirely needed. and of course there would be some things that would not come back (like the rollers),

Just my two cents.

I noticed how a lot of people want to change desecrate, or complain about the energy cost really. Why not just put equilibrium on? you seem to get a ton of health orbs when using this skill so that should not be a problem *consider this, with stretch and streamline on you can cast it for 35 energy across a decent range. If you get even 2 health orbs with a maxed out desecrate you are already up in terms of energy. at the same time, if you are using it only for 1 or 2 corpses why are you even fighting? each time i cast it, i tend to get a field of red but not much in terms of blue, meaning equilibrium is a god like mod for nekros. Just saying....

That would only work if you just so happen to be missing health all the time and can pick up the orbs to gain the energy from them.

It would be better to combine Terror and Desecrate and add a third ability.

When the enemy units run away, they drop stuff.

Drop rate for goods can be adjusted accordingly.

Or killing the affected ones can make them drop more stuff.

Or going near a corpse that was affected an pressing loot button yields more goods.

I tried this and it doesn't really work.  Even though the health orbs would give you energy you still can't pick them up unless you are missing health.  So even with Equilibrium on, there was still a sea of red orbs everywhere.  I promptly took the mod back off.

I would love it if Terrify did hold the enemies closest to you in place, like it was initially intended to work.

Also, if Soul Punch worked as a body explosion with a small AoE effect, I think it would make Soul Punch much more fun and viable to use to get rid of a few enemies rather than just 1. The radius of the AoE doesn't have to huge, just big enough to get maybe 1-3 other enemies in close proximity to the Soul Punch target.

I posted this on another Topic, but that also applies here.

SoTD needs an AI tweak beacuse they either shoot themselves or shoot at walls. We should get XP for dead kills as well. It would also be nice if we got the "dead perks" as well (e.g. Ancient Healer heals, Osprey Gunner Shield boost, etc.)

Desecrate is still useless IMO.

instead of  Desecrate 

POSSESS

you taking control of single enemy  ... 

your Nekros changing form to ghost/ether/cloak    and enters the body of enemy ...  in result you actually starting   playing (steering)  for X amount of time as an for example  "Grineer assault"  or infested or Corpus ( only enemy with soul )

and at the end of Skill time  u exiting the possess enemy by ripping body apart from inside  damaging nearby enemy's 

Like NEO to Agnet Smith  ;p 

Edited by SethSamson

I tried this and it doesn't really work.  Even though the health orbs would give you energy you still can't pick them up unless you are missing health.  So even with Equilibrium on, there was still a sea of red orbs everywhere.  I promptly took the mod back off.

Still helps, especially for solo or infested defense. It grants a extra option.

the problem is that with lagg, nova, ember, fire dmg mod, shotguns and any other thing that will make the corpse disappear/explode the ability is useless, yes if you get lucky you can get health orb, mats or even mods but with the lagg and other thing that make the corpse vanish, i dont see the point of getting this ability

This mod is quite useless to me.  All my corpses always evaporate on me no matter how I kill them.  I have gotten zero use out of it so far.  I may as well just forma over it when I get the chance unless DE changes its mechanics or the power itself.  I personally love having a mod that helps me loot more.  I'm not too crazy about using a power slot for it.  But a level three power slot that is absolutely useless?  I am thinking something is wrong here

instead of  Desecrate 

POSSESS

your Nekros changing form to ghost/ether/cloak    and enters the body of enemy ...  in result you actually starting   playing (steering)  for X amount of time as an for example  "Grineer assault"  or infested or Corpus ( only enemy with soul )

and at the end of Skill time  u exiting the possess enemy by ripping body apart from inside  damaging nearby enemy's 

I like it, Nekros dissapears and the possessed enemy gains aggro from his former comrades. Ability one becomes whatever ability that enemy has usually (if they have one) on a long cooldown, and pressing 3 again ends the ability early with reduced damage. Would be worth 75 energy under certain circumstances.

A few tweaks to Terror, like say making it cost 50 energy, and I'd be very happy with Nekros.

Yeah, he'd play quite a bit like Nyx, possess would be mind control on steroids while summon is a much more situational chaos. But that's no bad thing in itself, Nyx is a good frame and lots of frames have similar skills.

Edited by Jandor

instead of  Desecrate 

POSSESS

Mind Control crossed with Invisibility? I can dig it. Don't need to explode the body, enemies attacking it will be fine.

Loving the new frame but reading the forums he does appear to be lacking some luster. Below are some simple tweaks i think would bring him into level with the other frames.

SOUL PUNCH: Direct X% damage that knocks the soul out of them, 5% armor debuff, stacking.

Fix: If soul punch kills the selected target the soul is absorbed and gives the player 25-50 health recharge.

TERROR: Necro deploys a totem of terror, causing X number of enemies within radius to
freeze in fear; the rest will flee.

Fix: Should actually freeze all enemies in range in fear and give half shields or half armour, or maybe increase critical hit by 50% for all players.

SEARCH THE DEAD: Generates loot from corpses (health, energy, ammo, etc).

Fix: The bodies disappear, but being a frame based on death he should be able to remember where bodies have fallen for at least 10-20 seconds, this can be shown by a faint ghost image of the corpse or by a faint marker like the o2 canisters. Casting near these points will cause them to disappear and loot to surface from the ground like rising from the earth.

CLONE THE DEAD: Necro creates friendly nano bot clones of the last X enemies he has killed.

Fix: This skill is great, but also has issues. When you are fallen it resets and you loose all clones gathered. The ones killed by your clones are not added to the clone pool. A possible fix for this is it will raise the same fallen from your pool of collected souls if you haven't killed anymore since last cast or if you cast after a revive. Another fix, Have whatever clones raised last as long as their health instead of a time limit, also have them follow player until they spot an enemy.

DE isn't going to tank this game's already iffy optimization just so one frame can use a terrible skill. They aren't going to keep the bodies around, DE is going to have to change the skill, hopefully to some actually interesting.

I actually feel that this is a cool power.  I get what they're doing behind it too.  But DE needs to do something, unless they consider giving away a free Forma with each purchase of Nekros

So I finally maxed out my Nekros and my verdict is this: 

Nekros is an UNDERPOWERED Nyx.

You took Nyx's best ability (chaos) and split it into 2 separate abilities (Terrify and Shadows of the Dead). 

Terrify has a longer cast time than Chaos, which often times gets me killed in dangerous situations.

Shadows of the dead only raises enemies that you have killed and not your teammates.  While this is great, since you can pick and choose which enemies to kill, before using the ability, this promotes passive gameplay for Nekros players.  While my team is being overwhelmed by Infested Chargers, I'm sitting back and waiting for Ancients to pick off, just so I can get a good AI squad to form.

And even after I raise my pet AI, it's still only as strong as AI enemies.  They don't do any extra damage, they shoot into walls and ceilings and it takes too much preparation to use that ability to be affective.

Soul punch is down there with every basic #1 attack.  Nothing really special about it.  It's a single target attack just like Fireball.  Unfortunately, it's Nekros' only instant damage ability.  I would say Nyx's psychic bolts are better.

Desecrate is a waste of energy.  The return you get if never worth the energy cost.  If it worked on every enemy you killed in the last 30 seconds, regardless of their body still being there, that would be great. 

While Nekros is probably the coolest looking Warframe out now, the novelty wore off long before he hit 30, and I'll be putting him on the shelf in favor of my other Warframes that can actually do damage and survive.

Edited by Soulie

I don't like when people compare Nekros to Nyx. They're not the same.

Nekros is not a frame focused on confusion and control. 

SoTD+ Terrify is nothing like Chaos. Terrify makes them run away, and also adds dmg, unlike Chaos as well as the fact that summons do not attempt to kill you when you're near which makes a big difference to me.

2 thinks...

1. 2nd ability not always works on body. Saryn and Nova Ulti destroy body and Necro can't use this ab.

2. 4th skill few thinks:

- best AI have Infested SHadows, Grineers and Corpus sux.. dont see walls etc, try kill mobs through walls don't try to move in other possision to see target

- Shadows of Death block our bullets , it would be nice when Necro bullets or all team bulets can go through they body... they are SHADOWS :P

- Shadows of Death block our bullets , it would be nice when Necro bullets or all team bulets can go through they body... they are SHADOWS :P

To be honest I wouldn't mind that, it just require you to use the ulti with a bit of strategy, think about where you use it and what you should go/ do afterward. They block your enemy's bullets too, also helping you to track enemies, especially if your shadows are infested, you will see them go hunt in packs.

Don't use the ulti brainlessly

Besides, if they are truly shadow, how the hell do they hurt people..

Edited by tnkfreexx3

I haven't had any problems with Desecrate, myself.  I can usually get in a cast before the bodies disappear, regardless of whether or not I'm hosting.  Even when an ally uses a skill that causes enemies to disintegrate immediately, if you're quick, you can catch the bodies just before it's too late.  It's definitely a situational skill, but it reinvigorated the game quite a bit for me, as most frame skills fall under one of two categories: Movement or Damage.  I would actually like to see more situational skills.  Some complaints I've seen are about making Nekros a requirement for farming: Not true.  Frame choice is not cosmetic, it is a strategic decision based on what mission you're going in to.  There are trade-offs and advantages.  With Loki, you're going to be weak, but you can move more efficiently.  With a Frost, you'll be slow, but have more defensive options.  With Nekros, you'll be weak, but you have a chance at more materials.  While that's simplifying it a bit, the core idea is that aesthetics are for helmets and scarves and colour schemes, while choosing a frame is choosing specific benefits that you feel comfortable using, despite what you're missing out on.  Each frame is a different experience.  I would definitely say the increase the wait time for body despawn by 1-3 seconds, as it's definitely an issue people are having.  The casting time is perfect, very short, but not instant, and fits in line with Nekros' ritualistic movements.  The one problem I have with this skill is that you won't know if it's working all the time, as it doesn't always affect nearby bodies.  About energy, I'd like to say I'd switch this and Terrify for cost, but with streamline, it runs the risk of being too OP, as it would be free energy when you find an orb.  As it is now, I only loose out on 10 energy if I find an orb, and if not, 35's not too big a deal.

I think Terrify is a skill that needs work.  The idea is great, causing enemies to flee makes Nekros more viable in solo play as well as helpful when an ally needs reviving, but the effect is arbitrary at best.  I think the problem, though, lies not with the skill, but with how the AI handles it.  It's already a bit iffy sometimes, and having to deal with something telling it to run off, they just end up running into a wall until the effect disappears.  This skill doesn't so much need a rework as it shows some flaws in the AI handling.  AI improvements might be what's needed to boost the effectiveness of this skill, as well as other skills that effect the AI, like mind control, chaos, radial disarm, etc.

Soul Punch, I haven't used much yet compared to the other three skills, but a shorter range AOE would be great, considering enemies rarely form up in a line.

Shadows of the Dead is fun, nothing beats leading a Zombie army, but they also suffer from AI issues:  They just hang back.  Sometimes they'll try to find an enemy even if it's out of their line of sight, but most of the time I end up having to abandon them in another room as I try to complete the objective.  I do like how it synergizes with Desecrate though.  Once they're all dead, I can pop up some ammo and health reliably, and sometimes even mods, materials, and life support if I'm on survival.

After levelling Nekros two times, here's my thoughts :

Soul Punch : damage is okay, control is good for managing heavies, but the multi-target part is broken/bugged. Sometimes it doesn't work at all, and when it does, it deals reduced damage. There's no mention of armor reduction in game, I suppose it was removed and added to Terrify ?

Terrify : Good control, seems to have an armor reduction debuff, which is good. Again, more details in game about the range and the effects would be appreciated. Is the armor debuff affected by focus ? 

Desecrate : Crap. In it's present iteration, it costs too much for what it gives, corps decay too fast for it to be really useful, and it only pops health orbs and ammo most of the time. So it's expensive, not always usable, and gives usually nothing valuable. Either rework it to be a debuff on living enemies and change the drop table, or change it by another utility / movement power.

Shadows of the Dead : looks great, provides control and distraction, overall a good power but the AI is sometimes a bit dumb and shoot at walls / roof.

Conclusion : A fun frame to play with, good amounts of control, but the 3 is really disappointing, a movement skill or another utility skill would be a major improvement, along with tweaks to Soul Punch multi targeting and Shadows' AI.