Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Official Necro Ability Discussion

[DE]Megan

My point with terrify was to illustrate that  people have no idea what they're talking about.  They hated on a superior skill and now for the most part, like what is blatantly inferior.

It's a perfectly good argument.  Only the most OP and unbalanced skills require you to not think before using them.  And even some of those require you to use a little fore thought.  Don't use snow glob on the cryopod in infested defense.  Overload is pretty bad vs infested.  Bastille isn't really all that helpful vs grineer etc. etc.  If you're not bothering to use an ability where it's most effective, you can only blame yourself if it's not as effective as you'd like.

Getting more health, ammo, energy, mods, and mats is more than interesting.  It's effective and covers a wider variety of needs than any other ability in the game. All it really needs is for health/ammo/energy drops to be a bit more evened out and for the corpse issue to addressed.  Even without out that, it's still a solid ability.

Your point doesn't address the issue; point blank, DE wasn't honest about what would be done if feedback remained negative on Desecrate. They gave assurance to do X in the event of Y condition, Y condition was met, they didn't follow through - where I come from, that's called a lack of honesty and integrity.

It's not at all valid when even the creators of the skill you're trying to defend admit it doesn't function as it should, hell, you tacitly admit as much yourself; if it's solid, effective, etc. why does it require the corpse issue to be addressed, hmmm? And doubling down on an event some of us have seen in six figure amounts is hardly "interesting", quite the opposite, it's tedious.

There are way too many pages to read through, so my apologies if I repeat ideas. 

Soul Punch is fine how it is. 

Terrify needs to be looked at. It is a great skill and really useful in tight situations, however there is always at least one enemy that escapes and hides somewhere, and makes it so you can't recast the skill until the effect wears off. This is very annoying in situations when you really need to use it but can't because of "power in use". Especially if you are using a continuity mod. I want to use continuity for Shadows of the Dead, but I am not equipping it because of Terrify. My suggestion, make it so that Terrify can be cast at any time, but make it so each enemy can only be terrified once. 

Desecrate can be tricky to use, especially since bodies don't stay around very long or just don't proc at all on laggy servers. I have suggestions for two possible alternatives. The first is to prime enemies before hand, so that when they die they auto desecrate. The second is to place a small icon (skull and crossbones or something) on the location where enemies have died that only Nekros can see. This icon will last for 10 seconds before disappearing. This gives Nekros enough time to cast desecrate without having to worry about bodies disappearing (especially due to disintegrate effects).

Shadows of the Dead is good how it is, except for the extremely bad AI. More often than not, my clones will stand there shooting at nothing instead of seeking out enemies. This needs to be addressed. 

I feel that with these simple changes, all the frustrations I have with Nekros will be relieved. 

Your point doesn't address the issue; point blank, DE wasn't honest about what would be done if feedback remained negative on Desecrate. They gave assurance to do X in the event of Y condition, Y condition was met, they didn't follow through - where I come from, that's called a lack of honesty and integrity.

It's not at all valid when even the creators of the skill you're trying to defend admit it doesn't function as it should, hell, you tacitly admit as much yourself; if it's solid, effective, etc. why does it require the corpse issue to be addressed, hmmm? And doubling down on an event some of us have seen in six figure amounts is hardly "interesting", quite the opposite, it's tedious.

I could care less.  Following through on uninformed feedback is the worst thing a developer can do.  It's one of the biggest problems with devs getting too involved with users.

Not functioning by design is entirely different from not functioning because of a bug or forgetting to change other systems to accommodate the ability. 

I would posit that Desecrate is viable, but mostly for defense or survival. The corpse issue is really only a problem when you don't have a mass-killer like Nova. If you learn to time it right, Desecrate can even work on Molecular Prime's kills, but you don't actually need any mass killer for it to be usable, as the guy I referenced above has proven several times.

Mostly, Desecrate fills two niches: healing and energy restoration, which Trinity has, and ammo restoration, which cannot be done outside of consumable items. Is that not enough?

Edited by L33tV154g3

There are way too many pages to read through, so my apologies if I repeat ideas. 

Soul Punch is fine how it is. 

Terrify needs to be looked at. It is a great skill and really useful in tight situations, however there is always at least one enemy that escapes and hides somewhere, and makes it so you can't recast the skill until the effect wears off. This is very annoying in situations when you really need to use it but can't because of "power in use". Especially if you are using a continuity mod. I want to use continuity for Shadows of the Dead, but I am not equipping it because of Terrify. My suggestion, make it so that Terrify can be cast at any time, but make it so each enemy can only be terrified once. 

Desecrate can be tricky to use, especially since bodies don't stay around very long or just don't proc at all on laggy servers. I have suggestions for two possible alternatives. The first is to prime enemies before hand, so that when they die they auto desecrate. The second is to place a small icon (skull and crossbones or something) on the location where enemies have died that only Nekros can see. This icon will last for 10 seconds before disappearing. This gives Nekros enough time to cast desecrate without having to worry about bodies disappearing (especially due to disintegrate effects).

Shadows of the Dead is good how it is, except for the extremely bad AI. More often than not, my clones will stand there shooting at nothing instead of seeking out enemies. This needs to be addressed. 

I feel that with these simple changes, all the frustrations I have with Nekros will be relieved. 

Good comments. Would like to add to this rather than repeating:

Terrify: Speeding up the casting animation just a hair would also make this a bit more viable, since enemies are often shooting at you as you cast this. Shadows of The Dead overcomes this problem by dropping your summons in good locations if you're in cover, but due to the near-enemy necessity of this power? It needs to go off just a HAIR faster.

Desecrate: I'll save my opinion that Desecrates primary ability makes more sense as a sentinel mod than a warframe ability for another thread down the line, since that could be flame bait. But its limited if viable use screams: "Why don't I have a team buff?" I would use this ability more if it had a reliable use for my energy investment; casting it turned a corpse into a totem of some kind that provides a limited team buff? Maybe a defensive trait like a wall of terror/repurposed corpse bits? Since it needs both a corpse and energy to be 'successfully' cast, I don't think a buff/defensive tool of some kind would be out of the question.

Shadows of the Dead: Rename the spawned NPCs to "Shadow" or something. Makes it easier to tell which is which if the texture glitches.
Edited by KoshLovesYou

Now that I have a maxed out Nekros, I feel I can throw in some feedback.

Soul Punch: I would like this skill a lot more if it had a more obvious visual effect for me to figure out what using it will likely do, since I can't figure out any apparent reaction from enemies as compared to the skill description.  I would also like it more if it were like fireball or freeze, and didn't require a target in order to be cast.  I get the lore behind it, as blasting a soul out of a wall would be silly, but from a gameplay perspective, it might be nice to just cause a mini-explosion (or whatever it is Soul Punch does, see first part of critique).  It also currently has the feeling of using the old Mag Shield Polarize, where that perfect aim is required, which can be difficult in combat.

Terrify: Great skill, but it needs a quicker cast animation.

Desecrate: I have applied this skill to great success in defense and survival, but I still don't terribly care for it.  I dislike that two of Nekros' four skills require targets to already be dead, and this is the worse of the two outside of that particular niche.  I understand that it fills a niche, but I feel low satisfaction after using it.  I don't think buffing it in any way would increase the satisfaction I feel, as the mechanic is the problem for me, not the end-result.

Shadows of the Dead: Not sure how I feel about this one.  As stated above, I don't particularly like that 2 of Nekros' 4 skills require targets to already be eliminated.  I think this is also a difficult skill to use, because you need to optimize kills, which isn't terribly efficient in combat, and really hard in team play.  It also becomes frustrating when a sentinel gets the killshot.  It also has a really long cast animation.  I like the concept more than I thought I would, though.  I just don't have any ideas as to what would improve it.  I would like, however, for the spawns to not block gunshots from players.

Absolutely, unquestionably the most useless frame in the game. Just an immensly downgraded Nyx.

A support warframe that is unable to support himslef or the team in an effective way is not good. At all. Except some cool animations this warframe does not seem to bring anything new to the table. And his "cool" is very easy to burn throught in a couple of days. We all though vauban got nerfed to the gourd so this thing could shine.... and yet it doesn't. You can imagine now how mediocre it feels. And it is.

This is all personal experience and observation of course and it doesnt mean i am right in any way. Just sharing an opinion.

Edited by zombaio

I could care less.  Following through on uninformed feedback is the worst thing a developer can do.  It's one of the biggest problems with devs getting too involved with users.

Not functioning by design is entirely different from not functioning because of a bug or forgetting to change other systems to accommodate the ability. 

First, define "uninformed feedback"; hint, feedback you simply disagree with doesn't qualify. Nice try poisoning the well though.

Beyond that, a far worse thing any company can do is make assurances they won't (or can't) live up to, this applies to developers too - atleast one was called out by the BBB for false advertising, another wound up ultimately losing their primary IP because of it. The only difference in those cases was where they made the assurance. As the wisdom in the army goes: "you don't jerk around the people who fix you, feed you, or pay you".

Even if I liked Desecrate, I'd have the same beef, because it sets a really bad precedent. That it looks like it may enter Sunk Cost territory in trying to make this one skill appealing/function well ain't great either. If they're going to spend additional manhours to "change other systems" so his abilities work well, I'd much rather it be the AI so Shadows of the Dead is more effective, simply because the entire game can benefit from better AI.

I've been giving Nekros some thought myself, and unfortunately most of his powers are fairly lackluster. Soul Punch, as well as having the daftest name in the game (shy perhaps of Dethcube), is a not-particulary-interesting damaging projectile. Terrify doesn't work properly, has pitiful range, and can create frustration when enemies become difficult to track down. Desecrate is just a plain bad idea, being the power of farming - hardly a very exciting or worthwhile use of the 50 energy, and that's if it works at all due to the rapid degredation of corpses.

I'd propose changes as follows.

Soul Thief (25 energy)
Replacement for Soul Punch, and functions similarly. However, the damage is reduced (to about the 350-400 mark at maximum level) and it loses the 'corpse-hurling' aspect.There are two potential versions of what happens instead:

Version 1: If an enemy is killed with Soul Thief, a Shadow of that enemy is immediately created (in the same fashion as those belonging to SotD). These Shadows, however, only last a short duration (10 seconds at max level?).

Version 2: Any enemy struck with Soul Thief is added to the 'summon list' for Shadows of the Dead. With this version, however, getting kills does not add enemies to the list for Shadows.

I like that the 2nd version of Soul Thief would remove the need for Nekros players to 'manage' their kills in order to preserve units they want to summon, as they can instead use Soul Thief to pick out what they want while still contributing to the team. However, the obvious downside is that Shadows of the Dead becomes worthless unless Soul Thief is equipped as well. I think having both Soul Thief and kills contribute to the 'summoning list' would be a poor solution to this problem, as it would render Soul Thief pointless (why mark an enemy when you can just kill them for the same effect?).

Life Drain (50 energy)
Replacement for Terrify. I've had multiple ideas about how this could work, so I'll try to list each of them succintly.

Version 1: An AoE cast centered on Nekros (or possibly an enemy, the same way Blade Storm's targeting functions, to prevent Nekros having to put himself in too much danger to use it) that drains a small amount of health from each enemy in range (say around 5%), and heals him by the total amount. The small drain amount prevents it being a direct copy of Trinity's Well of Life in function, as well as preventing the player too easily regaining huge amounts of health without a huge group of enemies.

Version 2: Similar to Trinity's Link, a single enemy in range is 'marked' (by a suitable shadowy effect), and will have their health gradually drained over time until they are killed ('pips' of around 3-5 health at a time?). If the enemy in question is killed before the duration expires, the mark will automatically jump to another target in range - although functionally identical to Link in that way, this prevents the player having to wait around if they want to heal themselves substantially.

Version 3: A debuff that effects an area around a target enemy (again, Blade Storm targeting) - each enemy affected will grant small amounts of health to the player responsible when damage is dealt to them. This version is more a team support skill, allowing all players to benefit from the healing, but runs the risk of stepping on Trinity's toes in it's functionality.

Version 4: The most boring version! It simply drains a fixed amount of health from a single target and gives it to Nekros. This would have to be a larger amount given that it is a single-target effect - but should still be a % so it scales. Maybe around 10-15% (of the target's remaining health) at maximum level?

Nekros is criminally lacking in real ways to protect himself, and this abillity would give him a way to restore lost health to himself without (depending on the version) being too similar to Trinity in that regard.

Curse (75 energy)
Replacement for Desecrate. This one would function as a debuff for enemies - fitting with Nekros's description (manipulating enemies), as well as being a skill type that isn't seen very much in Warframe (Radial Blind and Radial Disarm are the closest approximations that come to mind). It would be targeted the same way as Blade Storm (and two of the versions of Life Drain), and affect all enemies within range of the intitial target. Each affected enemy would have their armour reduced (in the same way the current Terrify allegedly does), though how this would work with the incoming new armour system I am not sure - perhaps allow it to reduce enemies with no armour to a negative value, such that the damage they take increases. I think 25% would be a reasonable figure for the maximum level.

Shadows of the Dead (100 energy)
More or less as it is now, with the added effects of an improved AI (far too often the shadows bumble around and shoot at walls), such that they make an attempt to follow their summoner unless otherwise engaged in combat, labelling the minions as 'Shadow' to help better differentiate between minions and enemies (especially a prevalent problem at the moment due to the bug whereby the shadows appear identical to normal enemies of their type), and some kind of onscreen representation of the souls that are in line to be summoned - this allows Nekros to better plan his summoning. As mentioned above, Soul Thief could be used as the method of harvesting the souls, freeing Nekros from the requirement to temper his kills in case he overwrites something he wants to summon later - though I would also be dubious about making one power completely dependent on another.

I feel these changes make Nekros more interesting to play as, as each power offers something useful and reasonably different, they have some synergy, and they fit with the description of Nekros given in game.

Edited by MalusCalibur

First, define "uninformed feedback"; hint, feedback you simply disagree with doesn't qualify. Nice try poisoning the well though.

Beyond that, a far worse thing any company can do is make assurances they won't (or can't) live up to, this applies to developers too - atleast one was called out by the BBB for false advertising, another wound up ultimately losing their primary IP because of it. The only difference in those cases was where they made the assurance. As the wisdom in the army goes: "you don't jerk around the people who fix you, feed you, or pay you".

Even if I liked Desecrate, I'd have the same beef, because it sets a really bad precedent. That it looks like it may enter Sunk Cost territory in trying to make this one skill appealing/function well ain't great either. If they're going to spend additional manhours to "change other systems" so his abilities work well, I'd much rather it be the AI so Shadows of the Dead is more effective, simply because the entire game can benefit from better AI.

How about people that haven't used the warframe at all?  Because that's where the majority of the feedback came from in most of this thread.  Just like with terror totem.  And that turned out well didn't it? 

All it means is changing the time it takes for bodies to clear.  I doubt it will take a massive amount of man hours and making assumptions about that is pointless.

Edited by Aggh

How about people that haven't used the warframe at all?  Because that's where the majority of the feedback came from in most of this thread.  Just like with terror totem.  And that turned out well didn't it? 

All it means is changing the time it takes for bodies to clear.  I doubt it will take a massive amount of man hours and making assumptions about that is pointless.

Except for the small issue that can be turned around on you; you keep slamming people for negative feedback on Desecrate by trying to say Terror Totem would've been better than what we got (which is a complete Red Herring, particularly since I don't know of anyone that was clamoring for Terrify as an alternative), but kinda hard to prove it - I'd consider it a fairly safe bet you never used Terror totem to provide an actual comparison.

And the bodies probably clear as quickly as they do for a reason, probably for the sake of performance (since Warframe ain't particularly optomized yet, given a sizeable number of people get video driver errors when trying to play the void or the new derelict missions). Note that DE's stance on changing how they clean up corpses was far less committed than changing the ability.

Except for the small issue that can be turned around on you; you keep slamming people for negative feedback on Desecrate by trying to say Terror Totem would've been better than what we got (which is a complete Red Herring, particularly since I don't know of anyone that was clamoring for Terrify as an alternative), but kinda hard to prove it - I'd consider it a fairly safe bet you never used Terror totem to provide an actual comparison.

And the bodies probably clear as quickly as they do for a reason, probably for the sake of performance (since Warframe ain't particularly optomized yet, given a sizeable number of people get video driver errors when trying to play the void or the new derelict missions). Note that DE's stance on changing how they clean up corpses was far less committed than changing the ability.

The difference is that we have two abilities that function similarly to attributes that terror totem has that we can judge it on.  Bastille, terrify. and chaos.

There are plenty of ways that they can change clean up without affecting performance.  Plenty of viable ways have been suggested in this thread even.

So I've had Nekros for around a week, and the frame feels slightly underwhelming. What I mean by this is that if you're not hitting 4, for the most part you're not doing a single thing for your team that actually matters. Terrify is a situational exception to this remark, providing a valuable few seconds when working correctly, to revive teammates or allow an easier escape. Desecrate doesn't seem to be able to work in the frame unless DE increases the time for corpses to vanish, in which case I'd say do what some people in the community are saying, and give him a small life drain. Nekros isn't meant for the front lines, and he dies very quickly at the hands of large groups, with only Terrify and Shadows to aid him, which have too long of a cast time to be used effectively in the situation. Now this doesn't mean I hate Nekros, I think it's actually a really nice frame, I just feel that abilities need to keep their general idea and change small details about them

Soul punch should become like Banshee's Sonic Boom in which he pushes back multiple enemies. He would exert enough force to knock an enemy, and the soul coming out would knock down more enemies (per level) within a distance behind that initial enemy (per level). This would be cast in the same fashion, but have a smaller AoE compared to Banshee's 1. The initial enemy would still take the full damage and armor debuff (if it exists), and enemies hit by the soul would take significantly reduced damage. Nekros needs some cheap CC to keep some enemies off him, and this would allow him to do this without being able to knock down too many foes at the same time, unless the player decides to do it multiple times, resulting in more energy used, but a better outcome.

Terrify is a very situational but lifesaving ability. Simply make it more reliable and it's fine as it is. If any changes should be made, players should have more incentive to use it more often, as right now it's more of a heavily nerfed Snow Globe.

Desecrate is quite a controversial ability, and it really should be replaced with a life draining ability. I don't think I could do much better than the others who have suggested this, their thoughts are as good as mine. It's simply not practical and in the end a waste of mod points since corpses vanish too soon to take advantage of. Plus with the introduction of Carrier, I've had no problems keeping my weapons topped up with ammo, not to mention having even a slightly levelled mutation mod; you'll likely not run into ammo shortages until light enemies become bullet sponges.

Shadows of the Dead is hands down Nekros's most useful ability. The ability to summon in up to 9 defeated enemies to fight for you not only gives you some extra firepower and something to hide behind, but the distraction allows full focus on important enemies without the worry of being shot at, which is a good plus for this near defenceless frame. This ability is quite a lot like Nyx's Chaos, but it does you to do some actual work before having the effect, which makes for good balance. However, when you summon them back, they have the same level as they did while alive, which may/may not help to make this ability a bit too good. Making enemies a slightly lower level at max rank of the mod could help out with making this ability more on par with other ultimates, although this is really just a shot in the dark with it being any bit reasonable of a change.

All in all, good frame, awesome design, nice general concept of abilities. I wouldn't expect much else from a horror themed frame. Sadly his sustainability is a bit of a horror as well, as he'll be the one hiding if he doesn't have 3 seconds to spare in point blank range of his enemies in order to use Terrify on them. If anything should change, I feel that Soul Punch should become the CC I mentioned. If the Nekros played smart, he would keep his energy for some life drain, summons, or whatever else this frame becomes in the future. If he used Soul Punch too much, he'd have a desirable effect, but be out of a lot of energy.

Finally got my Nekros to 30.  It was a rather dull experience.

I think the most important thing to change in this frame is how Shadows of the Dead works.  There are some nice sugestions about the initial damage poer (soul punch) adding to the list of summons.  The biggest problem is, the way it is now, it forces you to manage kills.  Ie NOT kill.  The number of times I would ignore regular infested and just target ancients, or ignore the small grineer and target the heavy ghrineer.  This is made much more difficult if you are playing with another nekros.  Most likely he is doing the same thing.

Maybe change the power so that all kills have 'points' to them.  And depending on your accumulated 'points' when you use the power it summons a set number of minions with varying power.

Let me ilustrate what I mean.  Lets say there are three tiers of enemies. the cannon fodder (crawlers, rollers, drones etc), the regular minions (most normal enemies), and the heavy enemies (heavy grineer, moa, ancients, etc).  Lets assign 1, 4, and 10 points for each kill.   For the sake of simplicity lets say you kill 14 fodder enemies and have accumulated 12 points in your power, when you use the power it summons something like 1 heavy and 1 minion (10 + 4).  If you kill 12 minions, for 48 points it would summon (4 heavies and 2 minions).  You get the idea.  

The point is to keep you killing and not manage 'who' you kill.

The Desecrate power is very situational and mostly useless I have to say.   If this was to give Nekros a supportive role it would be much better if it was replaced as a debuff of enemy armor, making nekros actually useful in high level content.

Terrify was not really my cup of tea.  Chasing down runners, depending on the map can be very annoying.  Would be better if it terrified in place (kind of like a stun).

My 2 cents.

1. Soul Punch: should create a shockwave on enemy hit, not when the projectile hits something, make it a skill that has free targeting, as it sometimes just doesnt launch even when you have the enemy in your crosshair.

2. Terrify, the cooldown is really annoing, otherwise the skill is OK, but seems like a worse version of nyx' chaos. I can live with that though.

3. Desecrate: the skill I hate most on Nekros, there should not be and extra-loot button in a game, life siphon would have been better(like: hit the 3/4/5 nearest  enemies with 500 shield ignoring damage, 10% of the damage dealt gets distributed to the team as health, 50 energy). But I really hope DE introduces alternative skills soon, then they could satisfy both factions.

4. Shadows of the Dead: needs a heavy buff, doesnt reach the utility or damage of other frames, also the casting time is incredibly long, for a pathetic reward. Shadows are too weak, AI is incompetent, you should be able to give them orders.

Id suggest an alterative fo SotD: For 30 seconds, every enemy killed by Nekros or a Teammate in a X meter radius, becomes a shadow, each shadow lasts 40 seconds, following Nekros. Shadows get more attention from enemies.

Atm Nekros is weak in solo and only of limited use in a team. When he is confronted with multiple ranged enemies he can barely defend himself, also he cant kill enemies, only make them run away. If I want utility I go with Loki/Nyx, when I want damage I go Nova, when I want defense I go with Frost, when I want a tank I go with Rhino. Nekros is like a wannabe-frame, might have a very low bit of all this together, but reaches non of those by far, making him the least fun to play at the moment.

He could have been so awesome... but there is still time to fix things. I trust in you DE!

So barring the fact that I've been leaving Desecrate unslotted because at best it slows me down and at worst it takes way too long to cast especially in comparison to the corpses disappearing...

I'm not seriously the only one bothered by Nekros' base stats, right? He's Excalibur with reduced shields. 

At least give him some bonus energy for it! After all, reducing Nyx's and Banshee's armor was enough to boost both their speed and energy, reducing Frost's speed was enough to give him bonus shields and supercharge his armor...

I'm not seriously the only one bothered by Nekros' base stats, right? He's Excalibur with reduced shields. 

At least give him some bonus energy for it! After all, reducing Nyx's and Banshee's armor was enough to boost both their speed and energy, reducing Frost's speed was enough to give him bonus shields and supercharge his armor...

Oh wow, I didn't even notice that.  I kept comparing him to Loki (because that's who I play as) and thought his skills sounded pretty balanced.  However, in that viewpoint, he probably should get an energy buff, especially after all things considered.  

I'm very audio oriented so I'd like it if we changed Nekro's pet's weapon's sounds a bit.

When I hear a Gorgon spinning up I think

A) Go get some big XP!!!

B) A teammate or objective is getting chewed up!!!

Either way the priorities are shifted from whatever I was doing to 'find the heavy'. And when the heavy turns out to be a Nekropet, I've abandoned some other responsibility for nothing.

I would rather have a soul drain for leeching health off single targets with less damage than a high damage 1 ability to be honest.  I'm trying to build nekros as close to a true necromancer as possible.  High health, low shields, possibly high armor, but his health and energy pool fluctuate a lot trading energy for health and health for energy using equilibrium.  That's what I think suits a necromancer frame.  Health and Energy that feed off each other.  Right now, I only have desecrate for trading off energy for health.  Either a health draining 1 ability to replace his high damaging 1 ability, or a more effective desecrate, maybe one that always loots all bodies within the set range.  Just my thoughts, :D