Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What mods should I be using/Not doing enough damage

SkyShimmer158

Question

I'm a rather new player when it comes to this stuff so bear with me here.

I'm having trouble with enemies level 25 and above, I don't do enough damage and can't deal with large hordes. I have no idea what mods/weapons I should be using to help me out with this. I'm at the very beginning of Saturn.

I have Mag(Max), Valkyr(5), and Gara(9) for Frames. My weapons I have are MK1-Paris(Max), Furis(21), Kunai(Max), MK1-Bo(Max), Heat sword(Max), and Fragor(14). The only companion I have is a Helminth Charger which is maxed.

Here are my mods for my current load-outs between Mag and Gara, I don't really have anything set up for Valkyr any help would be highly appriciated. https://imgur.com/a/nDVFY3X

13 answers to this question

https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Damage

each faction is weak and strong against various damage types. Starting out you want to focus builds per faction you face. eventually you get mods and catalysts and reactors for stronger builds on good weapons that need less specialization.

Its time to build a new primary weapon. MK-1 should be replaced as soon as you get the mastery rank from leveling it.

You can purchase a normal Paris blueprint from the market for credits. and a prebuilt Braton for just credits.

Keep upgrading that base damage increase mods like Pressure point for melee, hornet strike for secondary, point blank for shotgun, serration for rifles. You will have those on every build. And they boost the effectiveness of additional element mods. add two element mods for advanced elements. Such as Electricity + Toxin to make Corrosive which works well for grineer and lowers their armor often if you have a high status chance weapon. That's expanded on with the link I gave.

Its very much a wiki game since there are so many systems that are lightly explained in game. and it will serve you well to refer to it often. And look for clans who specialize in helping new players in the recruiting channel. The clan subforum are just club pages that don't actually link directly to the game and is a pain to navigate imo.

Edited by Firetempest

1 minute ago, LarryYourWaiter said:

Brand new player and you have Gara already!?  Well done!  

As above, use the wiki and guides on line.  There is an incredible amount of stuff to know in this game.

upgrade your damage mods.  Have you been upgrading mods?

I've been upgrading mods like Hornet Strike, Pressure Point. I've been having issues trying to upgrade mods like Serration because I don't know what I should be getting.

And I'll probably check that wiki page in a little bit, I felt a tad overwhelmed when I saw all the numbers heh...

And thanks about Gara! I heard that she was p decent and I thought she sounded fun. I started grinding as much as I could to get her, and I really enjoy the play-style!

Hello Tenno. I'm going to give you a small guide, as well as suggest a build you can use going forward.

If any of this becomes overwhelming, just skip ahead to my suggested build.

Okay, so: MK-1 weapons are mostly starters, they won't take you very far unless you have some pretty hefty mods to carry them over. Your Furis is going to be a decent weapon to help you out, but I would upgrade when you get the chance to something like a Lex - it's a high damage, accurate secondary that will take you most places. For a primary, upgrade to the tried and true Braton. Okay, let's talk damage.

having an Orokin Catalyst for your weapons will give you more points to slap on more mods. You are missing some essential ones, mainly multishot.

A quick tip: you can type in the mod search - 'cold, heat, toxin, electricity' - typing one of those words will bring up all mods related to that damage type.

Primary must-have damage mods:

Serration (damage), Split Chamber, (multishot) - these two should be leveled as high as possible, they will never be excluded from your primaries. Now you need elemental damage:

Stormbringer (Electricty), Infected Clip (Toxin), Cryo Rounds (Cold), Hellfire (Heat).

Elementals on their own will deal a decent amount of damage, but the trick is to combine them to make a special damage type that specific factions are weak against.

For Grineer, combine Electricity and Toxin to create Corrosive, this damage type strips armor, and most grineer are weak to it. For the weaker grineer enemies, combining Toxin and Cold will create Viral damage, which strips health. Keep in mind viral damage will only strip health AFTER armor is gone, which is why I like to stick with Corrosive.

For Corpus, the standard is combining Electricity and Cold to create Magnetic damage, which strips away shields. Personally, I like to combine Electricity and Heat to create Radiation damage - Corpus are also weak to this, and if this damage type gets a 'proc', the enemy will become confused and attack other enemies; It's great for crowd control.

For Infested, again, Corrosive (Electricity and Toxin) damage is most effective against their armor, or you can combine Heat and Toxin to create Gas - another anti-Infested damage type. I prefer Corrosive myself.

Other damage: Combining Heat and Cold will create Blast damage. When blast damage 'procs', it will knock all enemies within a small radius down. Another great damage type for crowd control, but the damage itself isn't spectacular.

Secondary must-have damage mods:

Hornet Strike (base damage), Barrel Diffusion (multishot). Again, these two should be leveled as high as possible, they will never be excluded from your secondary builds. Elementals:

Convulsion (electricity), Pathogen Rounds (toxin), Heated Charge (heat), Deep Freeze (cold)

Melee must-have damage mods:

Pressure Point (base damage), Shocking Touch (electricity), Fever Strike (toxin), Molten Impact (heat), North Wind (cold)

That's a lot to take in right? No worries Tenno, I'll start you off with a base build, something like this:

Grineer Corrosive Build

Primary: Serration, Split Chamber (if you have it), Stormbringer, Infected Clip.  Any other mods after that, depending on your space, would be preference.

Secondary: Hornet Strike, Barrel Diffusion (if you have it), Convulsion, Pathogen Rounds. Mod the rest to taste.

Melee: Pressure Point, Shocking touch, Fever Strike. Mod the rest to taste.

Corpus Radiation Build:

Primary: Serration, Split Chamber (if you have it), Stormbringer, Hellfire.

Secondary: Hornet Strike, Barrel Diffusion (if you have it), Convulsion, Heated Charge. Mod the rest to taste.

Melee: Pressure Point, Shocking touch, Molten Impact. Mod the rest to taste.

Infested Corrosive Build:

Same as the Grineer build. I would add heat damage after you have your corrosive on there, just for some extra on top, and to watch them burn baby, burrrnnnn!

And lastly, any of the special damage types (corrosive, viral, etc) will always be present once the mods are in place, but if you want to 'proc' any of the special damage types, which will do even more damage, and also have a unique effect (like blast damage knocking down enemies, or radiation causing confusion) your weapon needs to have a high 'status' chance. You can see what the percentage is on the stats. The higher the status, the more likely it is to proc. Some weapons have high status chance, but in the event that your weapon doesn't have a high status chance, check the 'crit chance.' If the crit chance is higher, add more crit chance and crit damage mods like Point Strike and Vital Sense (those two are primary mods). If the status is higher, maybe add some status mods, like Rifle Aptitude.

There are many more mods for damage that will get you even higher numbers, like Dual Stat mods such as Malignant Force. But for now, stick with these base builds, and after you get an understanding of how it all works, you can hunt for the more rare damage mods.

I hope this helped! Good luck and have fun, Tenno.

13 minutes ago, SkyShimmer158 said:

I've been upgrading mods like Hornet Strike, Pressure Point. I've been having issues trying to upgrade mods like Serration because I don't know what I should be getting.

And I'll probably check that wiki page in a little bit, I felt a tad overwhelmed when I saw all the numbers heh...

And thanks about Gara! I heard that she was p decent and I thought she sounded fun. I started grinding as much as I could to get her, and I really enjoy the play-style!

Without all the percentiles, generally

Corpus are weak to Impact, Cold, Electricity. or Magnetic: cold + electricity.

Grineer is Puncture, Toxin. and Corrosive: Toxin + Electricity. They also don't like Viral: Toxin + Cold but is best to deal with their armor health.

Infested is Slash, Heat, and Gas: Heat + Toxin

You'll find most enemy weapons are made for the opposite factions. Grineer weapons likes to use damage leaning towards impact, Corpus like to use Puncture weapons. Tenno styled weapons are more random, can be balanced or heavily leaning to any one damage type.

Your Paris bow is mostly Puncture damage which is great against Grineer. But bows are really slow starting out. Boltor and Latron are a good early rifles with blueprint available in market for credits.

I skimmed through and didn't see any mention of orokin catalyst/reactor. Doubles your mod capacity for the given weapon, warframe or companion. Costs 20p, appears rarely on invasions and alerts. You can install and buy it when you go to your weapon or warframe or companion and click "actions" on the lower right. Really essential. Should first get a good weapon and use it on that, Kohm is a good choise.

hace 12 horas, RuFi0 dijo:

If the status is higher, maybe add some status mods, like Rifle Aptitude.

Yeah, use other status mods if you have them, but not Rifle Aptitude, 9 points for 15% just isn't worth it.

Edited by Dankeerd

4 hours ago, Dankeerd said:

Yeah, use other status mods if you have them, but not Rifle Aptitude, 9 points for 15% just isn't worth it.

I'm honestly just glad someone replied because after I saw how much I typed up, to no response, I felt real sad lol. Even the reply afterward mentioned a catalyst, which I already covered. I'm glad I at least included something someone can disagree with, otherwise all of that would have been a complete waste.

Edited by RuFi0

Il y a 18 heures, SkyShimmer158 a dit :

I'm a rather new player when it comes to this stuff so bear with me here.

I'm having trouble with enemies level 25 and above, I don't do enough damage and can't deal with large hordes. I have no idea what mods/weapons I should be using to help me out with this. I'm at the very beginning of Saturn.

I have Mag(Max), Valkyr(5), and Gara(9) for Frames. My weapons I have are MK1-Paris(Max), Furis(21), Kunai(Max), MK1-Bo(Max), Heat sword(Max), and Fragor(14). The only companion I have is a Helminth Charger which is maxed.

Here are my mods for my current load-outs between Mag and Gara, I don't really have anything set up for Valkyr any help would be highly appriciated. https://imgur.com/a/nDVFY3X

Keep using a unique weapon style for primary so you don't have to use endo in too many mods.

If you are MR4, buy the Hek blueprint it can help a lot for the star chart.

Farm for damage mod, elemental mods, multishot mod and critical chance+critical damage. It's far enough at your level.

Don't forget to headshot, the damage skyrockets when doing so.

But don't think too much at this level, the difference between a good and a bad build is very thin.

Edited by (PS4)Herrwann69

You're spreading yourself thin on your weapon mods, for one.  You want strong core mods -- i.e. damage mods like Hornet Strike, multishot mods like Barrel Diffusion -- first and foremost.  Then you want elemental damage mods, since they scale off of your core damage and multishot mods.  It's generally better to have a few strong mods, than a ton of weak mods. 

Your Heat Sword, for example.  Max out pressure point (9 pts) and Fever Strike (11 pts), and put four points into Shocking Touch (10 pts).  It won't have as much area or speed, but it'll have a good amount of Corrosive damage, which is good against Grineer and Infested.  Max out North Wind (11 pts), and you can use that instead of Fever Strike to get Magnetic damage, which is good against Corpus shields.  You don't have a Catalyst on the Heat Sword, and Heat Swords aren't exactly meta, so it won't be amazing, but you'll definitely notice an improvement. 

Similarly, I'd try to get 6-8 ranks in Serration, Hornet Strike, etc, and then several ranks in their corresponding elemental damage mods.  Make sure to keep lesser-ranked versions of your mods so you can use as much of your capacity as possible.

For your frames, it looks like you need to fill out your mod collection, first of all.    You need undamaged versions of Intensify and Stretch, for one, you need Streamline, and you need auras for each polarity. 

Your Mag looks pretty good given the lack of options you have.  If you're using Armored Agility for the armor (and not the sprint speed), I'd suggest replacing it with Flow.  You don't have the energy regen options that a higher-MR player does, so energy cap is a lot more important for you.  I'd suggest replacing Continuity with Intensify, and putting a few points into it.  Mag's abilities do magnetic damage, and with a lot of power strength you'll be very effective against Corpus.

For your Gara, I'd suggest coming up with a Vitality/Redirection combo that can fit with your current capacity, because right now it has a fraction of the health and shields your Mag does.  Doubling your hit points will help you out a lot more than 5% duration and 3% power strength. 

For Mag try farming for Augur reach and Augur secrets in Plains. Then you can “stack” each with stretch and intensify to buff her range and strength. 

If low on energy wait for energy siphon aura, or purchase greedy pull, fleeting expertise with plat (use warframe market for prices) these will help your energy meter for casting, especially streamline stacked with fleeting expertise ranked to level 8

Cast 4 when in a big crowd to get overshields and do big damage. Constitution is also a good mod for her as casting 3 will do damage to Grineer/corpus only. 

Lose armor agility and the shield recharge mod as Mag can refill shields by casting 3 or 4 and put the Augur mods instead with Intensify and Stretch 

Convert your duplicate mods into endo to max out intensify and Augur secrets and you’ll have power strength. Plains is also generous with endo. GG

Edited by cheliel

with mag (remove all mod expect efficiency one) , pick a penta, use the mag's bubble, shoot penta grenade in it, don t detonate them, everything die .. easy

for gara, pop ur glass shield,  use ur 4 , go outside, use the 1 on the wall, repeat before the glass shield timer is off.