Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Noob: Do I have to grind old levels after building a new Warframe?

(XBOX)DamienYouth

Question

So, I started a couple of days back, and I've been doing sleepless nights since then. Opened with a Volt frame, MK1-BO and the MK1-Paris bow. I've got Rhino, Excalibur, and Frost building. However, once they're built, do I have to grind them through all the lower levels again to level them up? Because I see that with weapons, the newly crafted ones on level 2,3 cannot really handle the upper levels bosses or huge waves like on Ceres. I have to switch back to the level 30 weapon for that. This causes my new weapons to lose out on a lot of XP since I actually play the new levels and speed run the older ones.

Basically, I'm kinda confused. Am I supposed to go back to levels like the early ones on Earth and Venus to level up my new Warframes or is there something I'm missing?

Edited by (XB1)DamienYouth

9 answers to this question

Play however you want, right now if you don't like a weapon or a frame, don't bother too much with it. Later on you'll have access to plenty of missions that level mastery fodder from 0 to 30 in 5-10 minutes.

Edited by Ver1dian

2 hours ago, (XB1)DamienYouth said:

I have to switch back to the level 30 weapon for that. This causes my new weapons to lose out on a lot of XP

Eh, I honestly never found this to be a huge drawback,
I always take at least one maxed out weapon (or at least nuking / support Frame).

Getting in my share of the kills, even if that's "suboptimal" for leveling, is just good manners IMO,
and you'll still get plenty of shared Affinity, not least if your Squad sees you not leeching and thus stays for more Waves.

5 minutes ago, NinjaZeku said:

Eh, I honestly never found this to be a huge drawback,
I always take at least one maxed out weapon (or at least nuking / support Frame).

Getting in my share of the kills, even if that's "suboptimal" for leveling, is just good manners IMO,
and you'll still get plenty of shared Affinity, not least if your Squad sees you not leeching and thus stays for more Waves.

Uh, I actually haven't played a single squad game. I'm just going in solo now. Doing that bosses like Krill and Vor together against a level 15-20 Cronus is kinda tough. 😞

Doing the low level missions again seems kinda tiring, but, I guess it's fair enough and I'll hoof it. Maybe even level up my Kubrow while I'm at it. Also, could be fun trying out the new skills and weapon synergies on lower level enemies and enjoy the visuals. 😛

Edited by (XB1)DamienYouth

Tactics I employ for leveling items

WARFRAME 
Really depending on the type of frame, but if you can find dark sector missions defense/ survival 
they typically have affinity bonus.

Also after leveling up a few levels, consider going to popular node like Hydron which is XP farming spot

This applies to sentinel, and companion, but to take note is since Warframe gain affinity through ability kills, 
it is possible to solo level Warframe,

but you will need a squad to level up sentinel and companion faster from the EXP leeching/ sharing while you do your fair share of damage.

WEAPONS

I usually go for stealth kill, this can be used to level up frames with stealth capabilities 
Loki, Ash, Equinox, Ivara etc, the 500% affinity boost is what you are after, 1-2 run is typical to get level 30 without affinity booster.

Do take note - TRY NOT TO LEVEL ALL UNRANKED ITEM AT ONCE
In the event of stalker, zanuka or G3 shows up you just miss your opportunity at getting a dread blueprint or something, 
which revive will also consume your XP gained especially when soloing.

2 minutes ago, Ada_Wong_SG said:

I usually go for stealth kill, this can be used to level up frames with stealth capabilities 
Loki, Ash, Equinox, Ivara etc, the 500% affinity boost is what you are after, 1-2 run is typical to get level 30 without affinity booster.

Yeah. I hear you. My MK1-Paris bow leveled up like crazy. Other weapons were at level 15 when this guy reached 30 all because I used to stealth snipe most enemies on early levels. Volt has that neat additional damage based on movement thing, and you can pretty much one shot a lot of things. Remember literally one shotting the Specter on one of the junctions (Mars or Phobos I can't remember). Pretty nice.

6 minutes ago, Ada_Wong_SG said:

Do take note - TRY NOT TO LEVEL ALL UNRANKED ITEM AT ONCE
In the event of stalker, zanuka or G3 shows up you just miss your opportunity at getting a dread blueprint or something, 
which revive will also consume your XP gained especially when soloing.

This will help a lot. Thanks. I made that mistake quite a few times. Got greedy, dropped the rifle, the sidearm and just took the melee to a mission only to be wrecked by enemies who throw you off your footing, blast stuff, perma shockwave or firewave or something.

2 hours ago, (XB1)DamienYouth said:

Because I see that with weapons, the newly crafted ones on level 2,3 cannot really handle the upper levels bosses or huge waves like on Ceres

What you seem to miss and nobody yet mentioned: It's not only about their level. 

Your Rank 14 weapon could be better than a  Rank 30 weapon and a Rank 6 Frame can take more damage than a Rank 30 frame.

It is how about you mod your frame. Better use 2 Rank 5 mods (Vitality and Steel Fiber) instead of 8 mods Rank 0. In weapons better use Rank 5 Serration + Vigilante Armaments instead of anything Rank 0.

@topic: you don't need to visit lower levels, you can grind in levels you feel comfortable and stay public, because you will gett 100% of the Affinity (exp) from your Teammates if you are nearby (50meter)

36 minutes ago, (XB1)DamienYouth said:

Doing the low level missions again seems kinda tiring, but, I guess it's fair enough and I'll hoof it. Maybe even level up my Kubrow while I'm at it. Also, could be fun trying out the new skills and weapon synergies on lower level enemies and enjoy the visuals. 😛

As a new player I do recommand at least start grinding these ranks in low level missions, but I also suggest this so you won't burn out:

Rank up casually, try to hard grind xp as less as possible. I won't tell you how to rank up your weapons, but in order to have fun in the game as we suppose to, I suggest to just grab your weapons and frames that need to be ranked up and do the missions you do every day or unlock new node you havn't done yet. This way you both progress in the game and get some xp. You can always grind up later if you don't feel like doing it this way.
Us veteran players are almost out of stuff to do in the game because there is not enough content in the game at this point, if we only had more weapons to try, new builds, new frames, some goal we havn't achieved yet. Those are things you as a new player have, have fun while you have content to play.

Challenge yourself. This is also to help you get better in the game and feel more confident about your skills. Nothing can stop you later.

Edited by FrostedMike