Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Rise of Anthem:- Warframe Overhaul?

(PSN)kfrancis902

20 hours ago, DrBorris said:

There is a lot Destiny can learn from Warframe. 

There is a lot Warframe can learn from Destiny. 

And most likely, there will be a lot Warframe can learn from Anthem.

Just tossing the entire game to the side and not analyzing it in comparison to Warframe is not only ignorant, but also ignoring things that could make Warframe a better game. This blind hatred for a game that is not out yet is petty, juvenile, insecure, and as mentioned earlier ignorant. 

Warframe is a very, very flawed game. That is not to say it is not great, but there is a lot Warframe could improve on. Analyzing other games' components objectively to give yourself a new context for analyzing Warframe is an invaluable asset. 

And even if a game is flawed, or even if it is as a whole just plain bad, there is nearly always something a game gets right. From what has been shown of Anthem there does seem to be quite a few systems they have put in place that are good. It does not mean the game will be good, nor that those systems could/should be one-to-one lifted to Warframe, but understanding why those systems are good is invaluable. 

/rant

Always good to get objective views. This was well written, nice to see the community has these views

3 hours ago, (PS4)JohnnyPersia said:

I'm cautiously optimistic for both Anthem and The Division 2. I'll be waiting a week or so after release to decide if I will purchase either (although I did put 300 hours into the Division). However, so far Bioware's transparency and dev streams have been relatively refreshing, but we'll see if they continue post release. One advantage for both DE and Massive (developers of The Division 2) is that they both have considerable experience developing looter shooters now, whereas this will be Bioware's first foray into the genre, so I expect more bumps along the way in regards to Anthem.

I'm fine with random rolls for weapons, but I'm not sure how I feel about it for the components (mods). The Division 1 had random rolls for mods too, but I believe they said they're changing it for The Division 2 (someone correct me if I'm wrong). With so many options, it becomes almost pointless trying to grind for specific items. One other concern I have for Anthem is that while they said there will be loot tables, they didn't make it altogether clear whether different bosses and strongholds would have different loot tables. This was something the Division 1 struggled with for awhile. On the one hand, if the same loot is everywhere, you can do whatever activities you want in order to acquire that loot; the problem, however, is that the loot tables become so diluted that it becomes difficult to get what you want, let alone with the right stats.

One interesting point you made is regarding the lack of rewards in Warframe, and Warframe is in a weird spot on this aspect compared to these other games. Because Warframe is F2P, nearly all of the cosmetic items are acquired exclusively through the store. But for Anthem and the Division 2, while i know they will both have cosmetic microtransactions, many, if not all, of the cosmetic items can be acquired through playing the game as well, which gives players an additional incentive to grind. Warframe doesn't really have this.

Anyhow, as I mentioned before, I'm cautiously optimistic for both Anthem and The Division 2, and I'm looking forward to watching reviews and gameplay before I make a decision to buy either.

My worry is that I have no idea what I'm going to do if I like both Anthem and The Division 2. How am I going to alternate between 3 of these games plus any single player games I want to play?! lol

Good read, thanks for contributing.

From what I can tell though, Anthem doesn't let you hit the enemy with your sword.  One of the classes has daggers and I think a heavier class has a hammer for some special attacks, but without a dedicated melee mode with swords and other weapons, this is a hard pass for me.  I only care about hitting things with my sword.

From what I've seen of Anthem, it has some large issues that are going to hurt it longterm, and some of them being just on a gameplay level.

Then there's the sequel issue which it will most likely run into; Activision and EA love pushing out sequels to games, even if the games are ones in the "games as a service" category, and this will result in resetting your progress, which is already a huge deterrent for a lot of people.

I, and I know many others, won't bother with a game that you're supposed to just keep building up your character in a way that Anthem, Destiny, Division, and Warframe all expect you to do when its going to all be lost in just a couple of  years. Additionally, the ability to trade the premium currency within Warframe has also led to a lot of people, including myself, to stick with it.

22 hours ago, (PS4)BlitzKeir said:

1. Jesus god no, are you out of your mind? You can't just borrow mechanics like that. Think about how that would affect the modding system. Think about weapons with stat values that actually matter, like almost any shotgun.

2. Why? This mechanic exists in Destiny to control the pace at which a player can progress and what activities they can do. In WF, this would prevent you from getting mods from missions you can completely trivialize, but aren't allowed to do because an arbitrary value isn't high enough. It also restricts equipment to specific levels, which no. No. Absolutely no.

You are looking at this isolated

I cannot wrap my head around this way of thinking. It makes sense for a developer, but what brainworm could make a person care about this? If you think a game is fun, play it. If you think two games are fun, play them both. It's not #*!%ing sports teams.

Its to companies competing for your time, money and genre space and not looking at your competition and making the appropriate adjustments leads to PUBG when Fortnite blows up. 

Example: Scorpion. It throws a physics-defying grapple, or runs at you and slowly swings its sword like it's never held one before. Suggestion: Scorpion retains its whip, but it has a slow windup and incredibly fast deployment. It gains an evasive ability, similar to Manics, but less annoying. When shot, it will quickstep side-to-side, but becomes unable to act for a second after each use. It can only do this up to three times in a row, then must wait 5 seconds before doing it again. It gains a rushing melee attack that moves toward the player at high speed, with a dramatic delay just before it connects, giving the player time to react.

Enemy overhauls like this would make combat intense and enjoyable, instead of the Dynasty Warriors mook steamroller we have currently. Fortuna is a great step forward in this regard, its enemies are diverse in more ways than their gun. We also need more Nox-like miniboss enemies. Nullifiers are alright (except for their sniper death-on-a-dice-roll BS), but imo Nox are more enjoyable to fight. They take a serious beating, and their damage partially ignores armor so they can even threaten certain tanks if ignored. Their helmet SFX are also very gratifying. Hyenas are good too. They don't take much damage, but they are highly evasive and close quickly, making them tricky to target without anticipatory footwork. The spiders... well, the big ones are threatening, but the flesh-looking ones don't have enough health to threaten, what with being such a delicious meaty target. DE needs to apply this logic to older factions.

I would also like superbosses. Hear me out. Imagine a Grineer in a mech about 5m tall, similar to Hek's Terra frame but more humanoid. It moves slowly and has shoulder cannons and wrist-mounted hellfire rockets, a laser, etc. Just a ton of artillery. The frame itself has so much armor it's damn near invincible, and immune to armor removal. Once the weapons are destroyed, it will suddenly become very fast, rushing between players with its rear jets and attempting to melee and grab with ragdolls. At this stage its armor is severely reduced, and it becomes vulnerable to corrosive procs. The whole fight would only take around 60-80sec, but it would totally change the pace of combat. It would spawn under certain uncommon circumstances, so you wouldn't see it very often. More stuff like this would just make the combat more dynamic and enjoyable.

Excellent breakdown of fun enemy design, more of this will be welcomed. However the issue of rewards and irrelevant mods still exists 

1 hour ago, Sean said:

Then there's the sequel issue which it will most likely run into; Activision and EA love pushing out sequels to games, even if the games are ones in the "games as a service" category, and this will result in resetting your progress, which is already a huge deterrent for a lot of people.

Resetting my progression isn't really that terrible. Quite the opposite. I didn't transfer my Warframe account to the Switch, because the idea of resetting my account was far more appealing than just keeping an account that had already done everything there is to do.

In Diablo 3 and Path of Exile they have seasons/leagues for that very reasons. Because players actually wants their accounts "reset" every 3 months.

1 hour ago, rune_me said:

Resetting my progression isn't really that terrible. Quite the opposite. I didn't transfer my Warframe account to the Switch, because the idea of resetting my account was far more appealing than just keeping an account that had already done everything there is to do.

In Diablo 3 and Path of Exile they have seasons/leagues for that very reasons. Because players actually wants their accounts "reset" every 3 months.

To each their own.

That's why I was talking about myself and a lot of the people I've spoken to in my post, not everyone.

If I was forced to lose all my progress in Warframe then I simply wouldn't play the game again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Padre_Akais said:

Anthem's flight mechanic uses what amounts to our old Stamina mechanic for parkour/melee.

Apologies for not being more clear.

The cooldown mechanic matters little compared to the flight model, which is the core element and most important part of the flight system. And in that area, Anthem is certainly better than Warframe.

29 minutes ago, A-p-o-l-l-y-o-n said:

The cooldown mechanic matters little compared to the flight model, which is the core element and most important part of the flight system. And in that area, Anthem is certainly better than Warframe.

Interesting logic.

Considering that one is reliant on the other in combat there I'm not sure how you could have made that jump.

Needless to say though I wasn't referencing the model insomuch as I was the mechanic itself.

You appear to be very excited about Anthem flight though so I hope you have fun with it.

6 hours ago, (PS4)BlitzKeir said:

In hindsight, I apologize if I came off as caustic. @(PS4)kfrancis902 I stand by my criticism of your suggestion, these things do not fit with the rest of WF's mechanics. However, I meant no disrespect. Coffee withdrawal and medical bills have eroded my capacity for courtesy.

No offense taken, passionate thought is always welcomed/needed with some objectivity of course.

On 2018-12-18 at 12:43 AM, (NSW)Scintal said:

Just hypothetically speaking, if something like Diablo 4 was sold to EA.  Can you truly say it wouldn't affect your expectation of it at all

Considering that blizzard made loot boxes popular with Overwatch, blizzard is no better than EA. The difference is blizzard has diehard fans that love them no matter what they do. So no it wouldn't.

• 4 weeks later...

Have you forgotten that it’s a game from EA? Have you seen their track record? Anthem will likely be incomplete at launch; either missing content or just buggy. Micro transaction are dead certain from anything EA, I just don’t know how it’ll be implemented. Over priced season passes and deluxe editions with instant access are sure to come out at launch as well. Take a look at battlefield 5. Poor marketing, the political and historical controversy, their divisive behavior, and once again missing content at launch all took its toll on the game; and battlefield is one of their flagship franchises. What makes you think anthem will be an exception to this? Thanks to EA’s position, anthem has no room to breathe. It either succeeds or fails. No in between. But I hope for Bioware’s sake that it does well. Am I excited though? Not at all. 

1 hour ago, (XB1)SilverSurferGuy said:

Have you forgotten that it’s a game from EA? Have you seen their track record? Anthem will likely be incomplete at launch; either missing content or just buggy. Micro transaction are dead certain from anything EA, I just don’t know how it’ll be implemented. Over priced season passes and deluxe editions with instant access are sure to come out at launch as well. Take a look at battlefield 5. Poor marketing, the political and historical controversy, their divisive behavior, and once again missing content at launch all took its toll on the game; and battlefield is one of their flagship franchises. What makes you think anthem will be an exception to this? Thanks to EA’s position, anthem has no room to breathe. It either succeeds or fails. No in between. But I hope for Bioware’s sake that it does well. Am I excited though? Not at all. 

Bioware has already stated numerous times that the only MTs will be cosmetic and even then you can earn them in game by completing event raids. They've also stated that you pay once for the base game and all expansions will be free. 

On ‎2018‎-‎12‎-‎19 at 12:55 AM, A-p-o-l-l-y-o-n said:

Having played the alpha, I'll simply say I disagree and dislike the flight system. 

Keeping my comments as bland as possible in order to not break the NDA and have EA sue my butt, these are my very general impressions on Anthem based on the Alpha:

Disliked the flight system based on the cool down mechanic - passed my feedback over to Bioware

Disliked the melee system. It felt clunky and tagged on - feedback passed to Bioware.

Loved the atmosphere. It really did feel like I was part of some epic story 

Loved the overall movement of the Javelins minus melee.

Loved the synergy between powers and weapon systems. They defo looked at Bungie's initial screw up with weapon slot allocations and simplified it for the better. It almost feels Warframe like.

Loved the in player interactions - you'll see what I mean when you play the game. 

There wasn't much evidence of the loot system but there were a few Destiny like resource farming.

All in all the Alpha played more like am ARPG then an objective based looter. I personally think it'll be more a 'Destiny vs Anthem; fight for our attention then a 'WF vs Anthem' one. However that's not to say all 3 can't occupy the same space and thrive. As for Div 2 - I was so disappointed with Div 1, I'm not sure I really want to revisit that IP.

5 minutes ago, Kidkilla said:

Bioware has already stated numerous times that the only MTs will be cosmetic and even then you can earn them in game by completing event raids. They've also stated that you pay once for the base game and all expansions will be free. 

I’ll believe it when I see it. Things change. EA has pulled fast ones before. They held back on MT’s at the launch of battlefield 1 to get good press only to put them in once everyone bought it. We’ve yet to see what constitutes an expansion for this game as well. So don’t get your hopes up. There’s still a myriad of other things that could potentially go wrong for anthem and the things you’ve stated won’t save the game from them. 

13 hours ago, Kidkilla said:

Having played the alpha, I'll simply say I disagree and dislike the flight system. 

Keeping my comments as bland as possible in order to not break the NDA and have EA sue my butt, these are my very general impressions on Anthem based on the Alpha:

Disliked the flight system based on the cool down mechanic - passed my feedback over to Bioware

Disliked the melee system. It felt clunky and tagged on - feedback passed to Bioware.

Loved the atmosphere. It really did feel like I was part of some epic story 

Loved the overall movement of the Javelins minus melee.

Loved the synergy between powers and weapon systems. They defo looked at Bungie's initial screw up with weapon slot allocations and simplified it for the better. It almost feels Warframe like.

Loved the in player interactions - you'll see what I mean when you play the game. 

There wasn't much evidence of the loot system but there were a few Destiny like resource farming.

All in all the Alpha played more like am ARPG then an objective based looter. I personally think it'll be more a 'Destiny vs Anthem; fight for our attention then a 'WF vs Anthem' one. However that's not to say all 3 can't occupy the same space and thrive. As for Div 2 - I was so disappointed with Div 1, I'm not sure I really want to revisit that IP.

The existence of the cooldown mechanic and the actual way the Javelins fly are different issues. I wasn't a big fan of the cooldown mechanic, but all I'll say about the Alpha is that, barring some technical issues, the way the Javelins fly is what I want to see for archwing (basically, the animations and how they turn). If Warframe's archwings can fly/move better than they do now, and at least as good as the javelins in Anthem, then Archwing will be in a much more comfortable place where it is at least enjoyable to fly around.

Edited by A-p-o-l-l-y-o-n

On 2019-01-12 at 6:12 AM, A-p-o-l-l-y-o-n said:

The existence of the cooldown mechanic and the actual way the Javelins fly are different issues. I wasn't a big fan of the cooldown mechanic, but all I'll say about the Alpha is that, barring some technical issues, the way the Javelins fly is what I want to see for archwing (basically, the animations and how they turn). If Warframe's archwings can fly/move better than they do now, and at least as good as the javelins in Anthem, then Archwing will be in a much more comfortable place where it is at least enjoyable to fly around.

oh I liked the way the javelins handled but I wouldn't bring that kind of movement to Warframe due to the differences in aesthetic and intent between the two - Anthem is more ironman esque while Warframe is matrix'y. I'd expect that heavy 'I am wearing a powered suit' feel in Anthem vs 'I'm a remote operator in Warframe' type of movement. 

6 hours ago, Kidkilla said:

oh I liked the way the javelins handled but I wouldn't bring that kind of movement to Warframe due to the differences in aesthetic and intent between the two - Anthem is more ironman esque while Warframe is matrix'y. I'd expect that heavy 'I am wearing a powered suit' feel in Anthem vs 'I'm a remote operator in Warframe' type of movement. 

I'm not talking about Warframe movement, though. I'm talking about Archwing flight. Archwing flight has no bearing on "remote operator in Warframe" type movement.

On 2019-01-13 at 8:37 PM, A-p-o-l-l-y-o-n said:

I'm not talking about Warframe movement, though. I'm talking about Archwing flight. Archwing flight has no bearing on "remote operator in Warframe" type movement.

Apologies I include flight as a movement. Should have clarified that.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2019-02-07 at 11:59 AM, (XB1)Jonatasu said:

I play Warframe, I'm not a Pro, but I really like to play Waframe and I think that it's all about your personal taste.

There isn't anyone that knows if Anthem will be linear or not, but if it will, well... it will be a paradigm break, a change of pattern.

We will have to wait.

it'll have quests and freeplay