Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Trading, or the answer you rarely get to give.

(PSN)StBoulder

1 час назад, Shalath сказал:

The problem with auction houses that work while a player is offline is that they quickly start a -1 race which drives prices down. Anyone that played Pirates of the Burning Sea when they switched from a blind auction to one where the prices were visible will remember how the AH economy basically crashed over a couple of days and the game died.

The collapse of the economy is completely optional. In Guild Wars 2, for example, the auction has exists fine for five years now, and everything is fine with the economy. In WoW since the Lich King, as I recall, everything was fine with the economy too.
Inflation can be prevented in a fairly simple way, as in GW2 - there the auction simply will not accept the goods below the minimum threshold. This threshold of course varies, but rather gently.
In addition, the already existing site Warframe.market - it did not lead to any collapse.
There are also natural limitations, as it was in WoW - sellers of course sought to shave off the prices of competitors - but not  to trade for mere pennies and remain without profit.

And also, let's not forget that the prices in Warframe market are relatively “free”. They are largely determined by DE. 
DE determines the cost of credits, ducats, the cost of platinum in real money, DE determines the chance of loot of certain items and their characteristics. So with good management, any market failures can be prevented.
Also, DE income is also Prime Access, and warframes, and weapons, and slots, and boosters, and cosmetics, and palettes, and ... etc. These sales do not depend at all on the trading chat or on a hypothetical auction - direct sales of DE.
I do not see the slightest threat from the auction, only advantages.

33 minutes ago, Cephalycion said:

I think the reason why warframe.market works is because it is basically trading chat++, in a sense that, even if you do want to buy an item, you require the seller to be online as well. Most would assume a built-in AH would offer functionality for buying the item regardless of online state, which is the crux of the "-1" problem. Add to that the fact that not everyone knows about warframe.market, and you have your reason as to why it hasn't killed the economy yet.

But that's my point. Everything you just mentioned could be done in-game without requiring me to Alt-Tab to Firefox, sign up my account details to a third party with no accountability to DE and copy/paste stuff back into the game. You can keep literally all of the restrictions of warframe.market, just put it in the actual game UI and under the umbrella of the actual developer.

• Like 1

37 минут назад, Cephalycion сказал:

The safe way to implement AH, in my opinion, would be to basically take warframe.market and imitate its functionality in warframe. It looks like an AH but doesn't bring too much of the bad over.

Also an option, in any case, it is much more convenient than the trade chat.

warframe market did not appreciably change the calculus. You still have to be in game, they still have to be in the game, you both need to not be doing anything else to go somewhere to, "in person", trade item(s) for Plat.

It is still both of you going out of your way to make that happen. It doesn't get easier if you still want the ability to trade the premium currency of a F2P game. This isn't vacuum. This has a very real effect on their ability to sell Plat.

Pretending everything would be fine and there would be nothing wrong will not make DE do this.

6 hours ago, Gabbynaru said:

Yeah, well, excuse me for being tired of seeing the exact same type of thread at least once a week. Holidays or not, there's no excuse for this level of laziness (seriously, two words to search for). And while we're at it, auction houses are this exact type of laziness embodied. We don't need that frankly. People paid real money for that platinum, how about you put in some effort to get it from them?

Not to put too fine a point on it but mmos (nw) have in game currency purchased with money and an auction house. Auction houses exist for warframe, just in external sites.

It’s not lazy, it’s called a free market, of which trade chat is nearly the painful antithesis of. Buyers and sellers barely can clearly see pricing. There are people that sit for extended periods, flipping items.

Flipping items means one part of the player base is ripping off another. Prolly kids. So yeah, really cool.

DE already has Nexus stats, so they have all sorts of info on the market.

5 minutes ago, (PS4)teacup775 said:

Not to put too fine a point on it but mmos (nw) have in game currency purchased with money and an auction house. Auction houses exist for warframe, just in external sites.

It’s not lazy, it’s called a free market, of which trade chat is nearly the painful antithesis of. Buyers and sellers barely can clearly see pricing. There are people that sit for extended periods, flipping items.

Flipping items means one part of the player base is ripping off another. Prolly kids. So yeah, really cool.

DE already has Nexus stats, so they have all sorts of info on the market.

All the MMOs I played only had auction houses that used the in-game worthless currency (gold) rather than the premium currency (gems/shards/whatevertheycallthem). And that in-game currency, well, it was even more worthless than the credits we have thanks to the auction house either making all items be wroth jack sh*t or so ridiculously expensive no one could afford them. Frankly, I want neither of those in Warframe.

Oh and, flipping items is also a part of the free market. No one's forcing people to pay ridiculous prices, but if they're willing to, then so be it. It's no ones fault people don't have the patience to just watch the market and get an idea of the value of items.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, peterc3 said:

warframe market did not appreciably change the calculus. You still have to be in game, they still have to be in the game, you both need to not be doing anything else to go somewhere to, "in person", trade item(s) for Plat.

It is still both of you going out of your way to make that happen. It doesn't get easier if you still want the ability to trade the premium currency of a F2P game. This isn't vacuum. This has a very real effect on their ability to sell Plat.

Pretending everything would be fine and there would be nothing wrong will not make DE do this.

Well, the next logical step would be to imitate warframe.market functionality into the game itself, to smoothen out the process (no more tabbing out and no more third party site insecurities)

However, that falls into the "QOL" category. And we all know DE has no time to spend on QOL. Just look at Maroo's Bazaar.

10 minutes ago, Gabbynaru said:

Oh and, flipping items is also a part of the free market. No one's forcing people to pay ridiculous prices, but if they're willing to, then so be it. It's no ones fault people don't have the patience to just watch the market and get an idea of the value of items.

NW auction house gives you a clear and undeniable price on an item. Zen like plat purchased with money and is converted to the ingame AH currency, that in game currency can also be earned to xchange for Zen.

You can still “flip”, buy buying cheap and wait a few months to sell at higher prices, you can post an item for auction and an insta buy.

Kids may not know they are being ripped off. The variance of most items sold in trade is ridiculous.

11 hours ago, (PS4)StBoulder said:

So trading... When I first saw that we could trade I thought that was a unique feature of the game and could not wait till I had gear to actually trade. To have something someone else needed gave me just a happy feeling. Now... I'm kinda frustrated. I have a slew of things I don't need and I want to sell them, but this is proving to brather difficult. I know i can sell them from my inventory for credits, butwe all know if given the choicwe are going to try for that plat.  I've spent many ahour in Maroo's with my hand up hoping to make a sale. To walk around looking at my fellow tenno with their hands up. It is as if we are all in a classroom and have been asked a question by the teacher to which we all know the answer to. We all really want to give that answer, and so few are picked. Hours of standing around. We all try to hock our wares in the realy chat, and that gets repetitive rather quickly. The trade chat itself isn't much better. Items and prices go flying by. Did some person who wants what i have see it?  I don't know. So we post and wait. Post and wait. Post and wait. A reply! How much am I asking? Oh, well I'm not going to pay that, sorry. And we're back to post and wait, rinse lather repeat. It is... frustrating. My excitement for this trade featured has waned and changed into trepidation over this process.

But all is not lost, I do make some sales and by that I make some of that sweet sweet plat. And by doing so I have made somebody's playtime that much better. So I offer this tweak for your consideration, an auction board. A place where we as players place our goods with we wish to part with. Other players can come see them and search with a bit more efficiency for what they want. Items can be placed for a number of days on which to bid (I imagine 3 to 5 days) and a buyout price can be set if after a number of hours the bids do not exceed a certain amount. Players bid 1 plat at a time (kinda like a penny bid site), and players can see what items are hot in real time.

I know some of you are going to mention the third party listing sites that are out there. I know they are there, but I also think this idea has merit and I think it has a chance to help players of all levels trade a little more happily and get out in the game a little more. Thanks for your time any Seasons Well Wishes to you all.

Question.  Do you know what an auction is?  What you described isn't an auction.  What your asking for is a bulletin board or a market place.

An auction is a way of selling products by having the potential buyers compete against each other by bidding. 

Wow, there some angry people. Ok, first let me cover that I did intendmore of a board than a house dynamic in my first posting. But there seem to be this idea that I want to get rid of the trade system already in place. I do not. I want to enhance the system already in place by offering another element or texture to it. But as well as having some checks and balances. Limit the number of items any player can post at once as well as over a period of time, i.e. no more than  25 items in a 30 day period. Just adding a level of flexibility to the system would be a nice aspect. The second point I'd like to address is the fact that I'm not advicating a complete change, I am just kicking out an idea born of a bit of frustration, in a area where I thought it was encouraged. To give feedback, and present said idea where otheres could build on it to just see if it will work. But ultimately it is up to the good folks at DE if any changes get implemented.  And DE has tried things that haven't worked out well initially, but worked it, looked feedback, they tweaked it.  Until it was awesome. We've all seen the hot fixes. So i ask that if you disagree give me a concise and constructive argument, not an eyeroll and an insult.Show me how you think i'm wrong. Or right for that matter.  Thanks for your time people, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays

• Like 1

On 2018-12-24 at 6:23 AM, (PS4)StBoulder said:

So trading... When I first saw that we could trade I thought that was a unique feature of the game and could not wait till I had gear to actually trade. To have something someone else needed gave me just a happy feeling. Now... I'm kinda frustrated. I have a slew of things I don't need and I want to sell them, but this is proving to brather difficult. I know i can sell them from my inventory for credits, butwe all know if given the choicwe are going to try for that plat.  I've spent many ahour in Maroo's with my hand up hoping to make a sale. To walk around looking at my fellow tenno with their hands up. It is as if we are all in a classroom and have been asked a question by the teacher to which we all know the answer to. We all really want to give that answer, and so few are picked. Hours of standing around. We all try to hock our wares in the realy chat, and that gets repetitive rather quickly. The trade chat itself isn't much better. Items and prices go flying by. Did some person who wants what i have see it?  I don't know. So we post and wait. Post and wait. Post and wait. A reply! How much am I asking? Oh, well I'm not going to pay that, sorry. And we're back to post and wait, rinse lather repeat. It is... frustrating. My excitement for this trade featured has waned and changed into trepidation over this process.

But all is not lost, I do make some sales and by that I make some of that sweet sweet plat. And by doing so I have made somebody's playtime that much better. So I offer this tweak for your consideration, an auction board. A place where we as players place our goods with we wish to part with. Other players can come see them and search with a bit more efficiency for what they want. Items can be placed for a number of days on which to bid (I imagine 3 to 5 days) and a buyout price can be set if after a number of hours the bids do not exceed a certain amount. Players bid 1 plat at a time (kinda like a penny bid site), and players can see what items are hot in real time.

I know some of you are going to mention the third party listing sites that are out there. I know they are there, but I also think this idea has merit and I think it has a chance to help players of all levels trade a little more happily and get out in the game a little more. Thanks for your time any Seasons Well Wishes to you all.

1) Trade chat, use it to arrange your sales. 

2) Dojo is usually a smoother experience than Maroo's. 

3) If you want to just list it once and let buyers contact you, then try warframe market. 

4) Auction houses would mess up in game economics. For many you'd have an endless supply and limited buyers. You will find your competition skyrocketing overnight. 

So like others have said, it's not a new idea and the answer has always gone "no".