Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Will we ever get dedicated servers in warframe?

Midas

The end of host migrations

No more arbitrations deaths due to host migrations

No more leaderboard missions being ruined by host migrations

No more lag (Unless you have problems with the Server).

Has anyone heard anything on Dedicated Servers anywhere?

Edited by Midas
  • Like 1

While it would be neat, its the cost that prevents them from doing it (most likely).

7 hours ago, MagPrime said:

I thought the Conclave ones were done by players?

1 hour ago, MagPrime said:

IIRC you have the option to start a PvP server via your launcher.  Never bothered with it, not a PvP'er.

This is correct, it has always been peer to peer hosting.

14 minutes ago, Nova-IX said:

While it would be neat, its the cost that prevents them from doing it (most likely).

This is correct, it has always been peer to peer hosting.

Let's first get an idea what these terms mean:

• P2P: Is often used here to say that games are player hosted. It's not really the right word for it. BitTorrent is P2P, there's no host. What we have are...

• Listen Server: One of the games serves as host for others. Positive: more decentralised than having the company use their own dedicated servers, which saves a lot of money. Potential negatives: some machines are not fit to host; ping/bandwidth issues; when the host leaves there's a migration, or possibly a failure. And some other bugs, like things only working on host but not on clients.

• Dedicated Server: This is how the Conclave servers work. You run the program and all you get is a console window, but not even that is technically necessary. The key point here is that only the engine runs, but there's no visual output (also known as headless). Other points here are that there's no host advantage, which is important in PvP, and there are no host migrations, unless the hoster shuts down the program while others are playing on it.

Wikipedia has a description of these.

Now I've said so before: they should definitely consider enabling the same thing in specific PvE missions, too. Arbitrations would be a very good idea. It might need a bit of additional work to enable those, but the groundwork has already been done 2 years ago. The dedicated servers workshop thread even mentions Trials.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kontrollo said:

Let's first get an idea what these terms mean:

• P2P: Is often used here to say that games are player hosted. It's not really the right word for it. BitTorrent is P2P, there's no host. What we have are...

• Listen Server: One of the games serves as host for others. Positive: more decentralised than having the company use their own dedicated servers, which saves a lot of money. Potential negatives: some machines are not fit to host; ping/bandwidth issues; when the host leaves there's a migration, or possibly a failure. And some other bugs, like things only working on host but not on clients.

• Dedicated Server: This is how the Conclave servers work. You run the program and all you get is a console window, but not even that is technically necessary. The key point here is that only the engine runs, but there's no visual output (also known as headless). Other points here are that there's no host advantage, which is important in PvP, and there are no host migrations, unless the hoster shuts down the program while others are playing on it.

Wikipedia has a description of these.

Now I've said so before: they should definitely consider enabling the same thing in specific PvE missions, too. Arbitrations would be a very good idea. It might need a bit of additional work to enable those, but the groundwork has already been done 2 years ago. The dedicated servers workshop thread even mentions Trials.

I see, thanks.

2 hours ago, Nova-IX said:

I see, thanks.

Heh, I just watched Glen's AMA stream. The real answer is even more complicated. Some things in there are actually P2P -- VoIP is. Here's what his drawing looked like by the end:

Spoiler

qtWKFyv.png

😄

The corresponding thread:

Spoiler

Edited by Kontrollo
link to thread