Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

PC Players and Cross-Proggresion, Let's Chat

(NSW)EpiL0N

It seems that a lot of the annoyance comes from the topic itself being beaten like a dead horse on the forums. That's understandable, but also stands as a testament to how eager the playerbase is to see it happen. 

Not all posts on this topic are aggressive but some definitely come off that way which is why I made this thread to begin with.

My intention wasnt to contribute to the masses pleading for cross-progression but rather to understand everyone's perspective on the matter.

Thank you all for the input.

Edited by (NSW)EpiL0N
  • Like 2

The main issue for PC players is our updates being slowed down to synch with the delays tied to the extra hoops devs have to jump through for console updates.

The other barrier is that the console companies (by which I mean Sony) won't ever go for it.

1 hour ago, MagPrime said:

Wait, I wouldn't get to take my plat?

...not sure I want to transfer if I lose all of it.

This is actually somewhat common on cross platform titles that have a premium currency of sorts. Moreso with Sony than others though. Fortnite for example, VBucks earned in game can be used anywhere. But if you play on PS4/PC, and buy VBucks on the PS4, you cannot use them while on PC. That may have changed recently, but that's how it was the last time I looked into it.

honestly even if it is in their 'to do' books it would take many years to complete. if theyre still saying things like they 'want' to do it means they havent even struck earth with any of the companies involved yet. my perspective is extremely outside though so dont take it to heart. i dont work for them and i dont know anything passed what i know about making games cross-platorm from my friend who was part of a game that did it and what they said recently about wanting to do it.

3 hours ago, MagPrime said:

Wait, I wouldn't get to take my plat?

...not sure I want to transfer if I lose all of it.

Yeah, Tennogen and Plat itself are 2 thing that for sure must be locked to the console you bought it on, to avoid defrauding any Tennogen artist that's let something drop on consoles of money, and to stop NinSonysoft from losing money cause all their players would just but okay from PC thanks to all our discounts. And as someone else said, consoles would have to deal with chargebacks and bad plat as well.

Edited by Atsia

4 hours ago, Shadow-Spawn said:

That's it - DE wants you to do everything from scratch again because if you do it will most likely include more platinum buying - and it will keep you from burning yourself out by only doing endgame grinding - it prolongs your stay by making you start from scratch on a new platform.

Making me start from scratch is the most certain way to ensure that I personally never try to do that at all.  I've gotten every Warframe, and every Prime Access, and every weapon.  I did take advantage of the Switch account copy.  Logged in and realized just how much of my stuff got deleted to "keep the economy fair."  Logged out, deleted the game from my Switch.  I don't enjoy the grinding, I just like being able to do whatever is within my abilities with the stuff I *already* earned via my real world grinding.  (Aka, the real job that lets me treat Warframe as something I do when I feel like it for fun, rather than an unpaid job.)

There is zero chance I'm going to re-purchase all the Tennogen that got stripped from my Switch account.  And between losing most of my costumes, all of the small number of Rivens, and a ton of Rare Mods that I don't have any interest in grinding for... nope.  Not going to happen.

I have a Switch account.  But I'm not a player of Warframe on Switch, and probably never will be.

18 minutes ago, (NSW)Nahaha said:

Empyrean involves connecting players and rebuilding the game engine, right? What better time to do what Bungie has the balls to do with Destiny?

Sorry, no. D2 is in a much better situation to make it happen compared to Warframe. There are many more hurdles that DE has than Bungie had.

10 hours ago, --Councilor_Vay_Hek-- said:

Maybe you confused cross platform play? I've seen posts a long time ago that were completely against cross platform play. But cross platform saves benefits everyone.

This, 

I mean cross-platform would be interesting but that would be a whole can of worms DE said they dont plan to open. Cross-save just means people can finally play on any desired platform they choose with out losing progress. 

Like I said, I never thought I'd get this deep into warframe. I'm in too far with switch to consider starting over. But playing on PC is where I would like to take my experience. 

I'm fine with waiting. When the day of cross-progression comes I'll be overjoyed. Whether that be 3 months from now or 3 years.

Edited by (NSW)EpiL0N

As long as all trades and plat are disabled when playing on a platform where those items were not earned then I am fine with it. The problem comes when DE allows an exploit to occur on one platform and prevents/patches it on others. So one platform could exploit a mechanic, transfer their ill-gotten goods to another and trade them for plat. This would also avoid the issue of PC players farming a new mod and then coming to consoles at release and selling it for a small fortune due to its rarity.

42 minutes ago, (XB1)Timidobserver said:

It's probably not going to happen anyway. DE can't even keep consoles and PC on the same version of the game. Cross-progression is probably beyond their capabilities. 

That's one of the common misconceptions going around.

Cross-platform would require scyned updates. Cross-progression would not.

When pc crossed to switch they took their current saves backwards. It only locked certain items that had yet to be released to switch.

This is why cross-proggresion is a possibility as opposed to cross-play.

49 minutes ago, (PS4)Hiero_Glyph said:

As long as all trades and plat are disabled when playing on a platform where those items were not earned then I am fine with it. The problem comes when DE allows an exploit to occur on one platform and prevents/patches it on others. So one platform could exploit a mechanic, transfer their ill-gotten goods to another and trade them for plat. This would also avoid the issue of PC players farming a new mod and then coming to consoles at release and selling it for a small fortune due to its rarity.

I'm fairly certain that this is why they are currently trying define the scope of how they would like to implement the feature. Whether that be fuild cross-saves, or limited with restrictions. 

being 99% of the time a PC gamer I'm actually against cross-paly because the sheer amount of game breaking bugs EVERY  major update had can potenialy harm consoles. And seeing how fast players blaze though every new update whether major or not, delaying updates even more will have negative impact on player's satisfaction with the game.

Console only cross-play is actually reasonable since all non-PC platfroms recieve cumulative updates with a ton of hotfixes included.

Face it - DE doesn't have large enough QA team to fail proof their major updates and probably doesn't have financial power to go through dozens certifications because of hotfixes.

8 hours ago, HorridaMessor said:

being 99% of the time a PC gamer I'm actually against cross-paly because the sheer amount of game breaking bugs EVERY  major update had can potenialy harm consoles. And seeing how fast players blaze though every new update whether major or not, delaying updates even more will have negative impact on player's satisfaction with the game.

Console only cross-play is actually reasonable since all non-PC platfroms recieve cumulative updates with a ton of hotfixes included.

Face it - DE doesn't have large enough QA team to fail proof their major updates and probably doesn't have financial power to go through dozens certifications because of hotfixes.

Thing is, right now no one is considering cross-play it is not a probability atm, or possibly ever. We are talking cross-progression which only involves allowing players to take their save to another console or pc to play exclusively on that platform.