The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Mastery rank 9 is so ridiculous

LastGodMars

11 hours ago, EinheriarJudith said:

these tests are absolutely useless. DE could and should just expand the tutorial (and allow it to be replayable) to cover all the different game play mechanics. much like elite dangerous does with its flight controls, manueverability etc.

remember Metal Gear VR missions? why cant these MR tests just be tutorials rather than gatekeepers with 24hr lockout? answer: because DE.

Because they are tests and not tutorials. It’s in the name.

Proper tutorials should come, like for melee combos, parkour 2.0, ect.

im MR27 ive failed maybe 4 tests out of all the ones i took. there is no point in these tests. nothing is proven by completing them. a person can play every different mission type once and know all there is about playing the game.

its gatekeeping plain and simple. atleast the nightmare test in The Secret World was to test to see if you were ready for nightmare difficulty dungeons, and to unlock them (which had no time gate).

Edited by EinheriarJudith

2 hours ago, EinheriarJudith said:

im MR27 ive failed maybe 4 tests out of all the ones i took. there is no point in these tests. nothing is proven by completing them. a person can play every different mission type once and know all there is about playing the game.

its gatekeeping plain and simple. atleast the nightmare test in The Secret World was to test to see if you were ready for nightmare difficulty dungeons, and to unlock them (which had no time gate).

Time gating? The first 12 (the most important ones) are almost laughably easy, the day wait is just a punishment for failing. If your complaining about an avoidable days delay, then your playing the wrong game.

As I said, practice in a relay. It’s super simple and gives you unlimited chances to fail. Then when you feel comfortable you can do the test.

1 minute ago, (XB1)DA ZACHYZACHY said:

Time gating? The first 12 (the most important ones) are almost laughably easy, the day wait is just a punishment for failing. If your complaining about an avoidable days delay, then your playing the wrong game.

As I said, practice in a relay. It’s super simple and gives you unlimited chances to fail. Then when you feel comfortable you can do the test.

the tests can be cheesed. limbo can cheese 2 of the later ones that require you chase capture points while being under heavy enemy fire. titania can cheese alot of the plat form ones as well. if you can simply turn off aspects of what the test is testing you on then why have them.

they... have... no.... reason... to... exist.

1 minute ago, EinheriarJudith said:

the tests can be cheesed. limbo can cheese 2 of the later ones that require you chase capture points while being under heavy enemy fire. titania can cheese alot of the plat form ones as well. if you can simply turn off aspects of what the test is testing you on then why have them.

they... have... no.... reason... to... exist.

If they can be cheesed then what’s this time gate nonsense about? Thank you for debunking yourself.

Abd so what if they can be cheesed, that still requires the player to actually figure that out. If they don’t then they will have to do it as intended, it’s not like it’s very hard, i must emphasise 

Just now, (XB1)DA ZACHYZACHY said:

If they can be cheesed then what’s this time gate nonsense about? Thank you for debunking yourself.

Abd so what if they can be cheesed, that still requires the player to actually figure that out. If they don’t then they will have to do it as intended, it’s not like it’s very hard, i must emphasise 

right right i see you have no idea about d/c causing a fail state or that weird glitches that have happened can cause a fail state. why even have a time gate anyway, the simple answer is there is no reason.

warframe lacks a fleshed out tutorial and uses some pretty archaic way to allow you to go up in MR.

MR should be tied to star chart completion. you know actually playing the game? im MR 27 anyway with more than 6k hours, and even i think these tests have no meaning.

9 minutes ago, EinheriarJudith said:

right right i see you have no idea about d/c causing a fail state or that weird glitches that have happened can cause a fail state. why even have a time gate anyway, the simple answer is there is no reason.

warframe lacks a fleshed out tutorial and uses some pretty archaic way to allow you to go up in MR.

MR should be tied to star chart completion. you know actually playing the game? im MR 27 anyway with more than 6k hours, and even i think these tests have no meaning.

MR is tied to many things, doing new nodes, completing junctions, leveling up gear. It’s all to do with playing the game, then you do a final test, the easiest and most rewarding part.

Just now, (XB1)DA ZACHYZACHY said:

MR is tied to many things, doing new nodes, completing junctions, leveling up gear. It’s all to do with playing the game, then you do a final test, the easiest and most rewarding part.

there is nothing rewarding about the tests. they are an annoyance. we will not agree on this. MR can be handled better and it isnt imo.

MR23 here, and I don't think the "mastery tests" denote anything special about me. Most of them were easy. Some were frustrating. They ALL encouraged finding a way to cheese them, due to the 24wait nonsense... so getting through the most reliable way possible, with least chance of failure due to wierd quirky behavior of the tests, was favored - EVEN IF one could easily do them the way they were intended to be done. (the 24hr "penalty" is garbage for more than one reason.)

MR 9 and 19 being particularly atrocious, because in the ACTUAL GAME, you use spy frames... they test a self-imposed condition that we can take on as a personal challenge, and call it a mastery test? Sorry, no. If you play the rest of the game like those supposed mastery tests... you're doing it wrong.

(The relatively recent - after I already passed them - change to the detection sensitivity of enemies changed the conditions of the original tests' difficulty factors by a large margin, IMO. They need to tweak those tests to take into account how it works now. That may be as simple as changing their patrol routes, length of their pauses, which direction they're facing while paused, etc... but they NEED tweaking.)

I consider the easy Mastery Rank tests to be mandatory speed bumps...
and the worst to be sadistic situations made to be recorded and watched by their makers for them to laugh at all the failures.

As a game developer, I don't take kindly to devs who like to torture players. (and while I don't know the motivations behind the selection "tests" they devised, it sure feels like they were doing it on purpose. Othe games do have devs who actively say they like to watch players fail... like it's their job to kill players, or whatever fail condition exists, and they derive great pleasure in that... while I feel games should be FUN for the players, not the game makers...)

On 2020-01-14 at 3:08 AM, NekroArts said:

There's practice tests if you head to where Simaris is in the relays. After you walk through his door, immediately turn right and you'll see a hallway curving up-left.

Thanks for infomation and advise . But still, this is unnecessary 💩.  My mastery rank is still 8 btw.

On 2020-01-17 at 5:00 PM, (XB1)DA ZACHYZACHY said:

Just practice, it’s not really that hard, you have 3 retries.

Have you tried MR9 Test recently?

Maybe you're remembering the OLD test...

Just go behind each enemy and stealth kill, easy as that.

Killing is not the problem. The problem is not being seen by other enemies!!!

That happens all the time (in the third section), UNLESS:

- You time your moves flawlessly (something most people evidently struggle, as per this thread)

- You have huge luck

Please don’t make rage posts because you failed something

Since LOTS of people have this issue, the problem is real, it's not whining.

Just because you are able to do something, doesn't mean everybody can. That would be like Einstein calling everybody a moron because they couldn't understand Relativity.

Of course Einstein wasn't that obtuse or arrogant - unlike you.

You're a classic case of obnoxious egocentric individual who thinks the world revolves around himself - and his opinion is the only valid one.

Edited by Pulsar63
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Pulsar63 said:

Have you tried MR9 Test recently?

Maybe you're remembering the OLD test...

Killing is not the problem. The problem is not being seen by other enemies!!!

That happens all the time (in the third section), UNLESS:

- You time your moves flawlessly (something most people evidently struggle, as per this thread)

- You have huge luck

Since LOTS of people have this issue, the problem is real, it's not whining.

Just because you are able to do something, doesn't mean everybody can. That would be like Einstein calling everybody a moron because they couldn't understand Relativity.

Of course Einstein wasn't that obtuse or arrogant - unlike you.

You're a classic case of obnoxious egocentric individual who thinks the world revolves around himself - and his opinion is the only valid one.

I did one about 4 months ago, and here’s a few easy tips: take it slow, use cover, and aim glide. They literally can’t see you unless your under their nose, only failed once during practice.

Is it to much to ask the average player to use their brain?

And may I repeat, it’s a #*!%ing test! It’s meant to be hard. I’m sorry to those failures that didn’t take the time to practice, but you have to wait that extra day to get that Ignis wraith.
Game breaking, I know!

This is all too funny... You have people complaining that it is too challenging, and you have others claiming that it is easy. This all brings me back to the original Gran Turismo where you had to take a driver license test just to have the ability to race.

While many if not all of us do not enjoy testing in life. We must realize that, at least to me, test are designed to "test" one's knowledge and experience. It's simply "what you know". In the case of Warframe it is testing everything you should know up to that point. Sure, many of the test don't seem to make since, but then, their not really meant to. They help you think outside the box. It's why in some test you can use spectors to deal with a defence and in others such as the spy test it locks all abilities away.

If you found the test to be nonsensical and easy, good for you! If you found a way to "cheese" them, I'd argue that it was in fact your knowledge of the game and its systems that allowed you to do so. If your watching videos, well I don't feel like your really helping yourself, but play as you wish. It bothers me none.

In all, I feel that Warframe can be easy if you make it so. The combat and overall game is not, say physically challenging, but more intricate in knowing how to use the tools at hand and creating builds.

Most of all, have fun and enjoy! As a parting gift, I offer everyone this piece of knowledge...

Spoiler

Use Wisp, she goes invisible when in the air.

It's hard for me to believe that anyone would try to lay claim to this not being a time gate.  Yes, you can practice, yes, you can ......ahem......spend time........ensuring you won't get time gated, but none of that has anything to do with the actual, factual reality of a twenty four hour lockout that absolutely exists upon failure.  It is the very definition of a time gate---it's literally what a time gate is, it's not even a matter of opinion---do X, can't do again for Y amount of time.  Bam, time gate.

As a point of trivia, that practice that folks keep drumming up is a relatively new addition---we spent a long time without that ability, and it came about in no small part due to the feedback of those that came before you because without it the---get this---time gate was much harsher.

Whether that's a good or bad thing, I dunno, and frankly I don't care, but it is what it is, denying that is silly.

Almost as silly as the folks laying claim to an MR9 not needing to progress.  There is equipment that is unusable at that mastery rank.  If you want to use it, you'll need to progress.  There was a time that we didn't have to move up for much of anything, then came a little bit higher, and we're well into the teens for items right now. 

Try to empathize a little bit with the position of those that haven't spent five years ahead of the curve.  Personally, I'm dreading the day that I actually have to mastery rank again(I'm MR24, been 23-24 for a long time) because I'm not relishing the idea of skilling a few dozen more things I don't care about, then doing yet another handful of these mastery tests---I didn't personally find them particularly difficult(a few failures here and there, nothing too bad), but I'd be lying if I said I enjoyed any of them at all and I cheesed literally every one of them that I found a way to do---it's a piece of content that was far more important to put behind me than to actually play.

• Like 1

I cant remember this very test, but I know from my experience, that some tests are ridiculously tough for no reason, while others are a piece of cake. Ive just had a laughable mastery test at rank 16, but a couple tests ago (15 or less) I was almost unable to complete one of those tests. Shouldnt it be  very easy, easy, medium, hard, super hard instead of easy, super hard, hard, easy, medium, super easy? Also the brigthness/contrast in this game is so bad, that I have to lower the settings from default to lower values just to see the actual map! The platforms are nearly as white as the background, jeez.

Edited by MaxTunnerX

The biggest problem with this test in my opinion is that this situation doesn't happen in real gameplay. All tests prior to that have use: basic weaponry and combat are transparent, though by the time the player got enough exp to attempt those tests, they're pretty trivial. Terminal hacking is everywhere in the game, and in sorties you can't skip them. The MR8 movement test is easier than some of the tilesets, like Grineer Asteroid. But the MR9 test, where else would you need to stealth kill every single enemy in a mostly open map whose number and patrol routes are fixed and synced with nothing but your melee weapon? The only similar one I can think of is spy vault, but there you are not limited to melee only and most of the time it's about finding an alternative route, not killing everyone. Honestly it feels like a worse MGS VR mission clone.

• Like 2

Completely true - there are no circumstances where being noticed immediately fails the mission, except the stealth MR tests. It might make it harder - like a spy - but yeah, this isn't mastering anything you need to worry about in game. 

Hell, stealth doesn't even work in game anymore, or offer any real benefit.

• Like 1

On 2020-01-21 at 7:41 AM, (XB1)DA ZACHYZACHY said:

I did one about 4 months ago, and here’s a few easy tips: take it slow, use cover, and aim glide. They literally can’t see you unless your under their nose, only failed once during practice.

Is it to much to ask the average player to use their brain?

And may I repeat, it’s a #*!%ing test! It’s meant to be hard. I’m sorry to those failures that didn’t take the time to practice, but you have to wait that extra day to get that Ignis wraith.
Game breaking, I know!

Try the test again, perhaps.  It was very different 4 months ago (before infinite cone of sight was introduced for all NPCs).

There's a legitimate complaint here, the test went up in difficulty by a huge factor.  When I did it originally  (9 months ago?  8?) it wasn't very hard, I just crouched  and hid behind things, and npcs couldn't see me further than ~40 meters.  Now that neither of those work at all, and corpses also stick around causing alerting and shifting of patrol paths, it is actively a much harder test.  If you don't think it's too hard, that is absolutely your opinion- but to claim it hasn't gotten harder/changed is silly, and not productive.

When this got changed, I was under the impression it was just people complaining, until I actually went and tried it myself, and saw how crazy it was.   Is it still passable?  Of course- wisp, glaive, banshee + redeemer, memorizing paths- there are many ways through it.  Some people may feel that it went from being 'trivial' to 'still very easy', and that is their opinion, but the fact remains it did change twice over the second half of last year (cone of sight, then the no removing of bodies from 3.0), and DE has never gotten around to addressing it in any fashion.

• Like 2

MR19, which I just got up to myself, is a very similar test, and I wonder if MR9 could be similarly cheesed. I used Wisp, since her passive is that she's invisible while airborne, and basically just aim glided or hopped everywhere, which took pretty little effort once I realized that might work.

• Like 1