The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Cheat Engine, Permaban and account flagging.

G0odevil

Yesterday I got a two week suspension on trading with the following in-game mail "Hello,X... two-week trading suspesion being placed on your account due to the fact you ran cheating software while playing warframe.
 The suspension is only temporary as a sign of good faith, yet this is a one-time-only chance, and we repeat:ONE-TIME-ONLY-CHANCE.If we find you running similar programs while playing the game from here on, you will be suspended permanently from access to the game."
This happened since after playing another game (Singleplayer) and using cheat engine I ran Warframe without noticing.

At first I hadn't even the slightest clue of why I would get banned until I remembered that about a week ago I played some game I deemed too slow running for me so I used the "Speedhack" feature on cheat engine.

I went investigating the EULA of warframe to see if they're even allowed to do it. and they can.

Spoiler

under License restrictions and limitations -
f.use cheats, automation software (bots), hacks, mods or any other unauthorized third-party software, tools or content designed to modify the Software, the Service or the Game experience;
and h. use any unauthorized third-party software that intercepts, “mines”, or otherwise collects information from, within or through the Software or Service, including without limitation, any software that reads areas of RAM used by the Software to store information about a character, in-game items or the Software environment; provided, however, that Digital Extremes may, in its sole discretion, allow the use of specified third party user interfaces;

Here I would like to point out again that the software wasn't in use during the play session so technically those two sections (but this is opened to interpretation.)shouldn't apply moreover the said "unauthorized third-party software" hasn't been run during the play session but long before it.

So I tried to appeal with a ticket only to get a generic answer that's basically the in-game mail all over again. Trade-suspesion stands and the next time we'll decide you're running something which is unauthorized by us your account that you poured money and time to is banned permanently.

So I decided to search permaban occurrences and the reasoning behind them, and many has been found such as an antivirus program scan that warframe didn't approve of.. other softwares running at the background not related what or soever to cheating. People who tried the game once for a couple of hours and when they tried to give it another go permabanned account for no reason.

And now my account is flagged and whenever the next program I will run during the game opened or before that warframe will not approve of will result of a ban. (Lets be honest this could happen as a result of a bug as there are abundance )

TLDR - Banhammer on unauthorized software or just because.

this got me curious who else has encountered such issues with different programs? and do you think it's alright for DE to decide what programs you're allowed to monitor and decide which programs you're allowed to run?
is it alright for them to ban people regardless of if such application are idle in the background or used?

There also been instances of the 14 Days trade ban for orokin razoback farm .(which is a mission released by DE) that players noticed the high orokin cell droprate and decided to farm it, oversighted or approved by DE.
which later condemned the high drop rate and spawn rate of a mission they released as an exploit and unleashed the ban hammer.

• Like 2

Cheatengine is THE number one flagged 3rd party program that'll get you a ban INSTANTLY if Warframe even smells it running alongside it. nomater the usecase you've had for it. It's about what the program is capable of doing not about what YOU specifically have used it for.

TL:DR Used cheat engine got banned deservingly.

Be careful on your next account m8. Oh and if warframe is running that slow for you maybe consider getting a new PC first.

Edited by EDM774

Just to clarify I haven't used it on warframe, it was just left on the background after using it on another game that is rather too slow paced for me (Divinity original sin 2).it wasn't used , and warframe hadn't warned me that there's a forbidden program running at the background.

4 minutes ago, EDM774 said:

TL:DR Used cheat engine got banned deservingly.

Did you even read what the OP posted ? he didn't got banned, he got a trade ban

8 minutes ago, EDM774 said:

Oh and if warframe is running that slow for you maybe consider getting a new PC first.

what's the point of this comment ? he never said that warframe was slow on his PC

15 minutes ago, G0odevil said:

is it alright for them to ban people regardless of if such application are idle in the background or used?

unfortunately that's just how it is... By accepting the TOS you should be aware that they can ban you for whatever reason or no reason at all. Is it fair ? no...

I think it would be nice to get some sort of a list of programs that might be triggering their systems (cheat engine is kinda obvious) they could also implement some sort of software that wouldn't allow you to open the game if any program violating their rules is running.

• Like 3

you don't need to be warned about common sense IMO. Like I said even if you're not using cheatengine on warframe just the 2 programs running together is a trigger for a ban. Be careful next time.

Edited by EDM774

6 minutes ago, suchamess said:

Did you even read what the OP posted ? he didn't got banned, he got a trade ban

what's the point of this comment ? he never said that warframe was slow on his PC

ok I may have skimmed trough the OP but what I said stands. Cheatengine is a big NO NO to even be run in the background when WF is open. And that much should be obvious.

Edited by EDM774

vor 29 Minuten schrieb G0odevil:

There also been instances of the 14 Days trade ban for orokin razoback farm .(which is a mission released by DE) that players noticed the high orokin cell droprate and decided to farm it, oversighted or approved by DE.
which later condemned the high drop rate and spawn rate of a mission they released as an exploit and unleashed the ban hammer.

You should read up on the patchnotes there and not just believe some salty reddit poster. People got trade banned by the auto-system, DE has said in the patchnotes that this was by accident and that they are reverting the tradebans for razorback cell farm manually.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, G0odevil said:

Yesterday I got a two week suspension on trading with the following in-game mail "Hello,X... two-week trading suspesion being placed on your account due to the fact you ran cheating software while playing warframe.
 The suspension is only temporary as a sign of good faith, yet this is a one-time-only chance, and we repeat:ONE-TIME-ONLY-CHANCE.If we find you running similar programs while playing the game from here on, you will be suspended permanently from access to the game."
This happened since after playing another game (Singleplayer) and using cheat engine I ran Warframe without noticing.

At first I hadn't even the slightest clue of why I would get banned until I remembered that about a week ago I played some game I deemed too slow running for me so I used the "Speedhack" feature on cheat engine.

I went investigating the EULA of warframe to see if they're even allowed to do it. and they can.

Hide contents

under License restrictions and limitations -
f.use cheats, automation software (bots), hacks, mods or any other unauthorized third-party software, tools or content designed to modify the Software, the Service or the Game experience;
and h. use any unauthorized third-party software that intercepts, “mines”, or otherwise collects information from, within or through the Software or Service, including without limitation, any software that reads areas of RAM used by the Software to store information about a character, in-game items or the Software environment; provided, however, that Digital Extremes may, in its sole discretion, allow the use of specified third party user interfaces;

Here I would like to point out again that the software wasn't in use during the play session so technically those two sections (but this is opened to interpretation.)shouldn't apply moreover the said "unauthorized third-party software" hasn't been run during the play session but long before it.

So I tried to appeal with a ticket only to get a generic answer that's basically the in-game mail all over again. Trade-suspesion stands and the next time we'll decide you're running something which is unauthorized by us your account that you poured money and time to is banned permanently.

So I decided to search permaban occurrences and the reasoning behind them, and many has been found such as an antivirus program scan that warframe didn't approve of.. other softwares running at the background not related what or soever to cheating. People who tried the game once for a couple of hours and when they tried to give it another go permabanned account for no reason.

And now my account is flagged and whenever the next program I will run during the game opened or before that warframe will not approve of will result of a ban. (Lets be honest this could happen as a result of a bug as there are abundance )

TLDR - Banhammer on unauthorized software or just because.

this got me curious who else has encountered such issues with different programs? and do you think it's alright for DE to decide what programs you're allowed to monitor and decide which programs you're allowed to run?

1 hour ago, EDM774 said:

Cheatengine is THE number one flagged 3rd party program that'll get you a ban INSTANTLY if Warframe even smells it running alongside it.

... Congratz, OP... You just shared on a public forum seen, monitored and owned by [DE] and its staff, that you ran Warframe while running Cheat Engine (doesn't matter if it was idle on background or not)...

... Willingly or not, noticed it or not, doesn't matter.

Edited by Uhkretor
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, G0odevil said:

Just to clarify I haven't used it on warframe, it was just left on the background after using it on another game that is rather too slow paced for me (Divinity original sin 2).it wasn't used ,

Thing is that for a game it can be very hard, not to mention adds a lot of overhead, to detect IF a memory editing program is being used on it.

The three options for a game are:
-Somehow get it access to monitor RAM access (Not always practical, can cause slow downs across your entire PC if something goes wrong, and can be stopped depending on permission levels, and this can be a privacy nightmare as then warframe knows everything that you have in active memory)
-Add a ton of "watchdog" memory values and do constant checks of the watchdog values...which adds a ton of overhead to everything the game has to do just to ensure that its not being messed with.  This tactic is used in some simpler games (flash games and such) but nothing as large as warframe because it becomes very burdensome and very hard to maintain.
And both of these will only detect memory changes, not memory reads...which can give a lot of information for various things if you just monitor a games memory without changing things.
-Just check to see if a forbidden program is running and flag the account if it is.

It is much faster, easier, and less burdensome to everyone (both the game and person playing) to just check to see if a specific program is running and then flag the account just in case.  A lot of games go the third route if they are concerned about memory-hacks.

57 minutes ago, G0odevil said:

, and warframe hadn't warned me that there's a forbidden program running at the background.

While this would be nice, its just best to use your common sense and double check what you have running.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, G0odevil said:

and warframe hadn't warned me that there's a forbidden program running at the background.

imagine warframe warned cheaters for using cheat programs, it can be used to find loop holes.
OP you just #*!%ed up, just endure the punishment.

Doesn't matter if you didn't use it on Warframe, if it was only running in the background, etc. If you're running a memory editing program like CheatEngine (or other software used to edit active running memory of programs), you will face a suspension of some form at the least, and a permanent ban from the entire game itself at the most.

Moving forward, you should try to be cognizant of running applications on your PC to make sure you don't launch the game with a memory editor running. 

• Like 6