Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New player time gating

CuddlyTyrant

1 minute ago, (PS4)CrazyBeaTzu said:

Even if they made it 6 hours....not having a practice test is kind of asinine, don't you think? You would have to make all your mistakes on the real test and you would a lot more people upset at multiple 6 hours waits instead of 1 24hour for an oops flub that probably wouldn't happen again.

I never said remove or for players to ignore practice tests...All I'm suggesting is to lower or remove the time gates for mastery...why does that opinion or thought upset you? If you're past MR 10 it literally wouldn't impact you. 

Just now, CuddlyTyrant said:

Sure, but that doesnt make the time gate any less dumb.

It's not a big a deal as you're making it out to be. If you're in such a rush....after tomorrow just buy 100 dollars worth of plat, buy every weapon and 50 affinity boosters and you'll be MR 27 in no time. 

You can simply do 100 other things in the game and in real life even until then. It's one day. Why not plan out your next MR test so you dont fail that one.

The time-gating is both necessary and useful. Both for fighting botting, account selling, keeping those things unreasonably difficult, and for adding to the intensity of the challenge moment. There are so many checks and balances to help prevent account selling and botting in a PVE centric game (where these things tend to be the most prevalent) and I'd like to see them stick.

I'd understand the first MR ranks, not the first 10, but even then, a precedent needs to be set from level 1, so I expect the 24 hours to stick. Hell, make it a week, I don't mind, and I'm working on a third account.

What I'm trying to say is, punish me harder Daddy [DE], that's all I want, make me feel it when I fail a test.

Time-gating items and MR tests isn't dumb, it's not just about making you come back. 🙂

Edited by Nathren
  • Like 3

Just now, (PS4)CrazyBeaTzu said:

Even if they made it 6 hours....not having a practice test is kind of asinine, don't you think? You would have to make all your mistakes on the real test and you would a lot more people upset at multiple 6 hours waits instead of 1 24hour for an oops flub that probably wouldn't happen again.

It should still be 24hrs, I have zero issue with that 

The reason the cooldown exists is at it's core to prevent people from burning through the first 10 or so mastery levels in under a day. However because of where it triggers "on attempt" it needlessly frustrates players in a hamfisted attempt to meet it's goal. 

If you shift the cooldown to "on completion" the tests still retain the desired effect of timegating you with regards to the next MR test but they don't needlessly frustrait the playerbase by locking them out of retrying the current test. The practice tests become outmoded because you aren't locked out for failure and no "challenge" is lost because you still have to complete the test to complete the test. 

It's just strait up a better/more player friendly system that also retains the desired timegating effect on subsequent MR tests. Which is only really applicabe on the first 10 or so MR tests anyhow because gaining XP after that becomes sufficiently prohibitive as to more than meet the 24hr cooldown anyhow.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CuddlyTyrant said:

I never said remove or for players to ignore practice tests...All I'm suggesting is to lower or remove the time gates for mastery...why does that opinion or thought upset you? If you're past MR 10 it literally wouldn't impact you. 

That was for Oreades who said practice tests dont need to be there.

9 minutes ago, Nathren said:

The time-gating is both necessary and useful. Both for fighting botting, account selling, keeping those things unreasonably difficult, and for adding to the intensity of the challenge moment. There are so many checks and balances to help prevent account selling and botting in a PVE centric game (where these things tend to be the most prevalent) and I'd like to see them stick.

I'd understand the first MR ranks, not the first 10, but even then, a precedent needs to be set from level 1, so I expect the 24 hours to stick. Hell, make it a week, I don't mind, and I'm working on a third account.

What I'm trying to say is, punish me harder Daddy [DE], that's all I want, make me feel it when I fail a test.

Time-gating items and MR tests isn't dumb, it's not just about making you come back. 🙂

That's fine as a personal preference. I prefer not being punished in games. I think a lot of the people on here are forgetting the last time they were MR <15 was a long ass time ago. 

9 minutes ago, Oreades said:

It should still be 24hrs, I have zero issue with that 

The reason the cooldown exists is at it's core to prevent people from burning through the first 10 or so mastery levels in under a day. However because of where it triggers "on attempt" it needlessly frustrates players in a hamfisted attempt to meet it's goal. 

If you shift the cooldown to "on completion" the tests still retain the desired effect of timegating you with regards to the next MR test but they don't needlessly frustrait the playerbase by locking them out of retrying the current test. The practice tests become outmoded because you aren't locked out for failure and no "challenge" is lost because you still have to complete the test to complete the test. 

It's just strait up a better/more player friendly system that also retains the desired timegating effect on subsequent MR tests. Which is only really applicabe on the first 10 or so MR tests anyhow because gaining XP after that becomes sufficiently prohibitive as to more than meet the 24hr cooldown anyhow.

Why is blowing through the first 10 mastery ranks in a day bad, if that's how you chose to spend your time? 

12 minutes ago, (XB1)Phantom Clip said:

I believe if you buy weapons from the market , you can use at any rank. Not sure though,  maybe check first. 

7 minutes ago, CuddlyTyrant said:

Most weapons are mastery locked.

6 minutes ago, Oreades said:

They're MR locked but if you buy them with plat it sidesteps the MR requirements

Lol. I told them the same thing.  You can get plat and buy weapons from market faster than you can level MR. If the issue is mr locked weapons, focus on trading. Prime items can get you 10-20p per item. Just avoid the cheap people and the crooks.

GL

1 minute ago, CuddlyTyrant said:

Why is blowing through the first 10 mastery ranks in a day bad, if that's how you chose to spend your time? 

I do respect why they have it but the way they implemented it is just hamfisted and no bueno and it just takes shifting a block of code to fix it. But instead they went out of their way to add practice tests into the game and walked away even tho that didn't solve the core issue. 

As for why the cooldown exists that's multi fold

Firstly because Warframe is a F2P game, they need people to log in and play as much as is possible. If you are allowed to burn through all the content in one day, there is an increased chance that the player will get to a point that they feel sated before they are hooked. To survive they need people in the game for the long haul and well implemented timegates are a way to go about that. Thing is IMHO they did a poor job with the MR timegates because of where they trigger not because of the actual 24hr cooldown. 

Secondly because they are using it to try to mitigate bot accounts and scammers because it's going to take a few days to get to a point where they can start doing harm. Which hopefully minimizes the amount of harm they can do before they are caught by the system and banned.

50 minutes ago, CuddlyTyrant said:

Time between tests and failing one. I just don't see the point in time gating the first 10 mastery ranks, especially with 24 hours. Sure, later on it doesnt matter because of the exponential growth but early on it shouldnt be time gated. 

I don't see the point at all in time-gating them either (or even having MR at all) 

Like previously suggested, some of them can be annoying, especially platforming in those bloom-filled cloud worlds, so running the practice is def the way to go in case your display settings are blinding, etc.  

1 hour ago, CuddlyTyrant said:

As a new player, its extremely frustrating to have a 24 hr cooldown on mastery tests. I think the game would greatly benefit from lowering it to 6 hours or less for the first 10-15 mastery ranks. 

Essentially this boils down to, "I'm new, so make it easier.". To which I reply, what makes you so special? Play the game like everyone else. Earn your rank. 

2 minutes ago, (XB1)Rust Plague said:

Essentially this boils down to, "I'm new, so make it easier.". To which I reply, what makes you so special? Play the game like everyone else. Earn your rank. 

There is NOTHING hard about the MR system.  Means absolutely nothing when it comes down to how good one is or ever will be in WF

21 minutes ago, CuddlyTyrant said:

Because DE wants you to come back the next day to play. If you go through 10 ranks in a day then you have less content to do tomorrow.

Sure, it's player retention and how they handle some of that stuff could be better, but that's a reason why.

1 hour ago, CuddlyTyrant said:

As a new player, its extremely frustrating to have a 24 hr cooldown on mastery tests. I think the game would greatly benefit from lowering it to 6 hours or less for the first 10-15 mastery ranks. 

... Sounds like you just want to rush your access to all of the available equipment without taking the time to learn their pros and cons... I'm pretty sure that, even if you deny, you're following a guide of some ex-partner that jumped ship because he/she couldn't handle the game properly without throwing a fit out of a frustration based on the misunderstanding that there's nothing interesting, when the real reason is exactly the same one that caused him/her to jump ship in the first place...

1 hour ago, trunks013 said:

If its after failing a test you can practice them in simaris sanctuary on the right staircase.

I don't really know what's worse, running a mastery test once without practice and failing... Or spending a week training for that mastery rank test without failing once and then failing the real test...

@CuddlyTyrant, probably best to avoid practicing for a test unless you actually need it. You can complete all tests without practicing for any of them, if you actually explored the game properly without guides...

24 minutes ago, CuddlyTyrant said:

That's fine as a personal preference. I prefer not being punished in games. I think a lot of the people on here are forgetting the last time they were MR <15 was a long ass time ago. 

I'm MR 14 lol. I have less than 500 hours. I failed one test, and simply did something else until then. 

I learned my lesson, because the wait did suck, and i practice every test a few times before the real one. 

I have other time gates I deal with as well. Every heard of Vallis and Cetus bounties?

Your standing is based on your MR, so everyday around 5pm, I max my standing at 15000 and cant do anything else until the next day technically lol. But I still get rewards for the bounties it works out. 

3 minutes ago, Uhkretor said:

... Sounds like you just want to rush your access to all of the available equipment without taking the time to learn their pros and cons... I'm pretty sure that, even if you deny, you're following a guide of some ex-partner that jumped ship because he/she couldn't handle the game properly without throwing a fit out of a frustration based on the misunderstanding that there's nothing interesting, when the real reason is exactly the same one that caused him/her to jump ship in the first place...

I don't really know what's worse, running a mastery test once without practice and failing... Or spending a week training for that mastery rank test without failing once and then failing the real test...

@CuddlyTyrant, probably best to avoid practicing for a test unless you actually need it. You can complete all tests without practicing for any of them, if you actually explored the game properly without guides...

Well practicing is just to make sure you dont have a bad surprise.

But honestly some mastery tests needs to be tryed in practice i had a test of melee stealth where if you didn't step back in the first 15 seconds an enemy spot you and its instant fail ( got fixed since that time ) So yeah just a little practice to know what you are getting into may be a good idea from time to time i'm not talking about practicing it for week thats kinda overkill imo.

Edited by trunks013

1 minute ago, (XB1)Rust Plague said:

I'm not crying for it to be easier. Aim your comment at the right person.

Well you did say "Earn your Rank", as if rank means anything in a game where progression and power are based on mod/arcane collections, not xp.

"Prove to me you've built and ranked 100 terrible pistols, thrown them in the trash, and are using a kitgun like everyone else" lol

Sorry, not trying to be a &#036;&amp;*^, I just loathe the MR system for some reason.  Its just so jarringly out of place in this type of game (though perfect for a f2p, so I get the intention... It was just a poor execution)