The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Help with 75% market discount (New Player)

(PSN)RYNOratchet68

Question

Hi, this is my second day playing Warframe (on a PS4) and I got a 75% market discount.  With the ps plus booster I will have 150 plat in total.  I heard that starting players should get warframe and weapon slots, but because these discounts are rare, I want to spend some plat on a warframe.  Would you recommend any warframes to buy (preferably ones that are hard to grind or are good with dual-wield weapons)?  Also, can you buy prime warframes with the discount?  Any help will be appreciated 🙂 

11 answers to this question

Where as you cannot buy Prime frames with plat on the market, you can get some of the hard to farm ones. As far as the hardest in my opinion to farm are Harrow, Octavia and maybe Grendel, Wisp and Gauss (only because you won't really be able to get them till much later in your game journey).

Normal Ivara and Equinox are also a bear to farm, but since they both have prime variants out now I would not worry to much about getting the regular versions.

Using your discount on some of the more expensive items is not a bad idea at all, but make sure you save some for the weapon and warframe slots, you will need them as you can quickly stack up new frames and weapons in the beginning of the game that you will run out of space quickly for.

First of all, there is no use of using plat at the moment, especially on frames. All plat at this stage should either be saved for hard to farm mods or prime frames, or to buy frame/weapon slots.

Prime frames cannot be bought with plat from the market, however you can buy them from other players.

If you really want to buy a frame, I strongly suggest using Saryn. She is one of the few frames in the game of which ALL 4 abilities are amazing. She wipes entire maps, and is (undisputably) the greatest crowd control frame in the game. She scales extremley well all the way to the non-existent endgame.

A quick overview of her abilities (https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Saryn/Abilities)

1. Spores - A virus that you cast on a single enemy, it spreads to enemies around the initial enemy, the damage dealt per second increase every second, and increases faster the more enemies that are infected. Its an effective passive way to eliminate big numbers of enemies. 

2. Molt - Leaves a decoy behind. Used for temporary speed boosts and to draw fire from enemies

3. Toxic Lash - Increases damage of all weapons. Just a little bit of ability strenght will multiply your damage by 1.5 or more (toxin), and the toxin procs (staus effect) are insane.

4. Miasma - Death button. Eliminates pretty much anything in range, enemies affected with spores take even more damage. If you put some power strenght on her, everything below level 60 is instantly eliminated, and enemies above that level either die over a few seconds or take near fatal damage.

Note that because of her overpowered 4th ability, some people might not want you with them because they are trying to level up weapons.

She is harder to farm compared to other frames because she is found on sedna by killing an annoying boss, so if you want to spend plat, use it on her.

If you are interested in buying mods from other players, you want a max rank adaptation. If you try to farm it, you won't be seeing it for a couple of months at the least because the mission in which you get the mod can only be unlocked once you complete every single mission in the game. Even then, it has a 2% chance of dropping in that mission, resulting in playing that mission roughly 50 time to obtain the mod. It is the most useful survival mod (excluding redirection and vitality, which increases shields and health of your frame respectivley) in the game because it reduces all damage by up to 90%. You cannot however buy this mod with a market coupon as its only buyable from other players, but I included it to show you what you should be saving your plat on.

https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Adaptation

Hope this helps and good luck!

Edited by (PS4)GOT_WIC
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, (PS4)RYNOratchet68 said:

Hi, this is my second day playing Warframe (on a PS4) and I got a 75% market discount.  With the ps plus booster I will have 150 plat in total.  I heard that starting players should get warframe and weapon slots, but because these discounts are rare, I want to spend some plat on a warframe.  Would you recommend any warframes to buy (preferably ones that are hard to grind or are good with dual-wield weapons)?  Also, can you buy prime warframes with the discount?  Any help will be appreciated 🙂 

listen to this guy:

27 minutes ago, punish_me said:

Slots, potatoes, formas, cosmetics imo best things to spend plat. Buying warframes = skipping game content.

couldn't have said it better

if you are a starting player and have time to spend on playing the game, save your platinum

start spending in this order:
Warframe slots
Weapon slots
Cosmetics that you can only get by buying it with platinum, I recommend starting with color pallettes because they give you great customization for all your frames, weapons, accessories and more.
Then after that look for Syandanas or other universally applied cosmetics like armors and such.
Once you are comfortable with the cosmetics you have you can start looking at weapon type skins and deluxe skins for warframes and once you get there operator and companion skins.

If you are planning on investing lots of money into the game and don't mind skipping content, just go wild but just don't ever buy any resources or mods from the shop.

OP is on PS4, he can only use his 75% voucher on one item, preferably a high cost, hard to farm, item. Months ago, I would have said Ivara, but that would now be a waste with the prime version available. I would suggest Khora, quite handy for defending and the pilfering strangledome augment is good for bonus resources, useful for a newer player.

I guess most, if not all, of the OP's plat is free plat, so can't be used to buy prime parts. Any plat left from buying Khora or other item may best be saved for frame/weapon slots and orokin reactors/catalysts.

It is nice to get a 75% voucher, but it could be too early in the game for OP and buying a frame could be a waste of initial plat, even with a discount.

12 minutes ago, (PS4)whit4242 said:

OP is on PS4, he can only use his 75% voucher on one item, preferably a high cost, hard to farm, item. Months ago, I would have said Ivara, but that would now be a waste with the prime version available. I would suggest Khora, quite handy for defending and the pilfering strangledome augment is good for bonus resources, useful for a newer player.

I guess most, if not all, of the OP's plat is free plat, so can't be used to buy prime parts. Any plat left from buying Khora or other item may best be saved for frame/weapon slots and orokin reactors/catalysts.

It is nice to get a 75% voucher, but it could be too early in the game for OP and buying a frame could be a waste of initial plat, even with a discount.

did not know the mechanics for a 75% voucher on PS4

regardless, only the order of the items he could purchase would change for me, i.e. trying to buy a collection with deluxe skin(or color package) would be the first thing on my mind then.

although by frame choice you gave him the best advice (Khora imho is the most overall useful frame to have)
I still wouldn't buy a frame that you can farm without spending platinum

40 minutes ago, (PS4)RYNOratchet68 said:

I will save most of my platinum for slots (and other useful things that you can't farm for) and won't buy a non-primed warframe.

In the end it's your plat and you should do what ever you want with it.  A big factor in that decision though needs to be how and when you'll get more plat, because if you can't/won't buy it when you need it then you really need to maximize the small amount you have.  It's that mindset that has people tell you to hoard it and only use it on slots.  And that's sound advice if you are going hard on the FREE part of free to play.

I buy plat when I need it because I'm fortunate enough to have that ability.  As such I have no problem buying regular frames with a 75% off coupon.  When I was in your position years ago I bought Frost as my 2nd frame with plat and NEVER regretted it.  On my second alt account I also bought Frost as my 2nd frame even though I was in a much better position to grind it out already knowing the game in and out, etc.

Having the choice to pick any frame super early, well before you have the ability to farm them can make the game much more enjoyable while you become more powerful.  Doing so is letting you break the progression curve of starter frame to rhino to some other early frame.