The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Railjack Auto-Orientation (please remove)

Wearbe

I'm an old hand at space flight sims, going clear back to X-wing vs Tie Fighter. I've played a lot of them. I've adapted to a lot of different takes on the theme. I'm very comfortable flying with no horizon and changing my X and Y axis rapidly and constantly.  What I am not accustomed to, however, is my ship rolling on my X axis without me giving it any input to do so. I am finding that my ship is appearing to "right" itself frequently, but I'm not sure what horizon it is thinking it is seeing. It is extremely disorienting.  I don't know why, though.  I am constantly changing my axis on my own and I have no problem with that so long as I'm hitting the control... it is just when it does it on its own, it makes me a little ill and I have a hard time setting the universe back into place in my head. Maybe it is because I had no intent to move that way, I didn't plan it in my mind first, thus the motion does not register correctly in my logic matrix.

Anyway, this auto-orientation feature makes me fight with my ship and I do not like it. Please let me control my orientation.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

• Like 15

6 minutes ago, Wearbe said:

my ship rolling on my X axis without me giving it any input to do so. I am finding that my ship is appearing to "right" itself frequently, but I'm not sure what horizon it is thinking it is seeing. It is extremely disorienting.

And annoying, I wish it was never implemented in the first place...

... But then again, "normal" people don't really know the difference between ground and ceiling except when they are standing on their feet...

6 minutes ago, Wearbe said:

Please let me control my orientation.

Yes, DE. Give us full control of our Railjacks.

... And while you're at it, give us full control of our ground Melee back by disabling/removing Melee Magnetism from the game. Your Archwing "fix" broke the rest of the game.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Uhkretor

5 minutes ago, (NSW)Greybones said:

Wouldn’t this topic be more observable to DE in Feedback?

... oh wow, I only noticed its in General Discussion now.

No, seriously, I didn't notice it.

Edited by Uhkretor
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Uhkretor said:

... oh wow, I only noticed its in General Discussion now.

No, seriously, I didn't notice it.

Haha. In this world of online communication where misunderstandings abound and intent is viewed as aggressive before anything is even said, I believe you 😛 I jump back and forth between mainly Feedback and General, and tend to lose track of which one I’m in if I don’t look for the landmarks

2 hours ago, Wearbe said:

I'm an old hand at space flight sims, going clear back to X-wing vs Tie Fighter. I've played a lot of them. I've adapted to a lot of different takes on the theme. I'm very comfortable flying with no horizon and changing my X and Y axis rapidly and constantly.  What I am not accustomed to, however, is my ship rolling on my X axis without me giving it any input to do so. I am finding that my ship is appearing to "right" itself frequently, but I'm not sure what horizon it is thinking it is seeing. It is extremely disorienting.  I don't know why, though.  I am constantly changing my axis on my own and I have no problem with that so long as I'm hitting the control... it is just when it does it on its own, it makes me a little ill and I have a hard time setting the universe back into place in my head. Maybe it is because I had no intent to move that way, I didn't plan it in my mind first, thus the motion does not register correctly in my logic matrix.

Anyway, this auto-orientation feature makes me fight with my ship and I do not like it. Please let me control my orientation.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

AGREED 100%

I want the roll axis back. 

Better yet. I want Roll, Yaw, Pitch and my strafing directions forward/backward, left/right and up/down. I want my Euler angles back for space battle and my Newtonian physics. Give them back to us. That is a great sense of immersion. Make it a toggle so people choose. Don't turn that off please. 

• Like 1

I just posted a reply to a thread on Archwing auto-orientation while looking for this exact thread because I was going to start one if nobody had.

I completely agree! There's no point in defining an "up" in space and the auto-orient implementation screws with full 3D combat mmaneuvers. The archwing and Railjack are given 6-axis thrust and rotation capability. Let us use it!  Having an "up" reference only matters on a planet surface and possibly inside a ship for some.

Make it a simple toggle. Orient to Reference on/off.  Maybe even make it key mappable.  That might make up for Archwing not easily mapping roll control to the most convenient Q & E (for PC) due to conflict with gear wheel and melee.  (I just use a quick corkscrew motion to roll... a trick from 3D CAD).

On 2020-05-06 at 9:35 AM, UwUber said:

THIS. It's so irritating when I line up for my heavy gunner to take out a crewship and the auto-adjust makes them miss their shot

Yes! It made me miss several shots in my runs as gunner. I had to apologise.

Back when Experimental Flight was a thing, I used to  have it off for Corpus Archwing missions and on for Grineer Archwing missions.
With EF on, I held X to bank left/right with LS, and I feel it should be the same for Railjacks (I'd like to use D-pad left/right for cycling between Battle Avionics).
(And yes, I play PC with an Xbox One controller.)

I've noticed that almost no-one I play with uses Waypoints in Archwing missions, so I was initially going to suggest rebinding D-pad up for the Orient to Reference option that Chrysdar so gracefully suggested (both here and in this forum).
Personally, tapping X would be a better substitute for the Orient to Reference option (it not being a toggle, as I've given it some more thought), with holding being reserved for banking with LS.
This is both for Archwings and Railjacks, and I feel that it would bring quality-of-life to both DE as they deliver future updates/hotfixes and us as we test them.

I miss roll in archwing. This auto upright feature does indeed bother me. It's almost as if someone forgot that up, and down don't actually exist in space. Then again it's a game so it doesn't need adhere to anything if it doesn't want. I would still prefer no auto upright myself though.