Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
Koumei & the Five Fates: Known Issues ×

Button binding conflict (Fixed)

(PSN)jaggerwanderer

On 2020-05-14 at 12:27 PM, [DE]Danielle said:

Hey guys, we have investigated ‘Touch Screen’ related issues (with swiping to be specific) where custom bindings are not registering assigned commands and instead performing the default ability cast and unfortunately, as we looked into the bug we discovered that the fix touches on code that can only be changed via Cert. We understand this is a frustrating issue, as most are when out of Hotfix reach.

There is a temporary fix for the time being: If you chose to, reset your bindings to default and then reassign your ‘Touch Screen’ bindings. The newly assigned custom bindings should now work as intended until you close and re-open the game (rinse repeat after opening the game).

Apologies again, we will let you know when you can expect that fix.

Amazing how DE does not test the game for PS4 before shipping. Can you hire a new PS4 QA manager that does? DE dropped the ball on Archwing blink not too long ago as well, unacceptable to not even spend 10 mins in a mission before allowing an update to go through with broken controls. And once again the non-solution is to wait weeks or months for another update. Horrible brand representation, even worse customer support

Edited by (PS4)True_Reclaimer

5 hours ago, (PS4)True_Reclaimer said:

Amazing how you dont test the game for PS4 before shipping. Can we get a new PS4 community manager that does? You dropped the ball on Archwing blink not too long ago as well, unacceptable for a "manager" to not even spend 10 mins in a mission before allowing an update to go through with broken controls. And once again your non-solution is to wait weeks or months for another update. Horrible brand representation, even worse customer support

I mean, you do know that community managers are not in charge of coding and/or testing, right? She is responsible for reading all the salty comments here and trying not to head-desk to much *I mean she is in charge of reading our comments on various social media and interacting with us, as well as a few other community interaction kind of projects (as far as I am aware of by the job description)*. They reviewed the situation quickly and are doing their best to get a fix to us ASAP. I know it's annoying, but going on the attack like this is not going to fix or help this issue. The blink update was not the last update, so clearly this is not an every update issue.
I do hope that now that they realize that controller binding seem to keep getting effected in un-intended ways that they do some special testing on that going forward. 
Try to be patient and have a good day bro.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, (PS4)BlightDragon89 said:

I mean, you do know that community managers are not in charge of coding and/or testing, right? She is responsible for reading all the salty comments here and trying not to head-desk to much *I mean she is in charge of reading our comments on various social media and interacting with us, as well as a few other community interaction kind of projects (as far as I am aware of by the job description)*. They reviewed the situation quickly and are doing their best to get a fix to us ASAP. I know it's annoying, but going on the attack like this is not going to fix or help this issue. The blink update was not the last update, so clearly this is not an every update issue.
I do hope that now that they realize that controller binding seem to keep getting effected in un-intended ways that they do some special testing on that going forward. 
Try to be patient and have a good day bro.

So she cant take 10 mins to play the update before it goes live? Youre right, she is NOT responsible. Nobody at DE has any responsibility for making sure console updates dont break the game, its OUR job as beta testers right? I get she doesnt code, but guess what, none of us customers do either! So its the manager's job to at least test the changes before shipping them. If she cant do it, then hire someone to do Quality Assurance testing before major updates. Or better yet, open the "public" testing servers up to consoles too, that costs NOTHING, and would save a lot of time and money

26 minutes ago, (PS4)True_Reclaimer said:

So she cant take 10 mins to play the update before it goes live? Youre right, she is NOT responsible. Nobody at DE has any responsibility for making sure console updates dont break the game, its OUR job as beta testers right? I get she doesnt code, but guess what, none of us customers do either! So its the manager's job to at least test the changes before shipping them. If she cant do it, then hire someone to do Quality Assurance testing before major updates. Or better yet, open the "public" testing servers up to consoles too, that costs NOTHING, and would save a lot of time and money

Setting up public test servers does indeed cost money. Just because she is A manager does not mean she is the Manager of that issue. I am quite sue someone at DE on the Console team IS responsible for that. Also, if you think we get broken updates, look at PC sometime. They are the beta testers. Bugs happen in modern games. DE is a much smaller team then people seem to think. They have been working on quality, and our SS update was FAR better then PC got. Railjack revisited, in comparison, was in pretty damn good shape. Not perfect, oviously, but better then updates had been.
I do hope that they learn from this and do implement more console testing. But you also have to understand that people give them a S#&$ TON of heat to get our updates to us faster. Fast and Quality do not always go hand in hand. So they are trying to balance getting our updates to us faster, and in better condition. 
I'm not saying they are perfect, or that no one at DE is to blame. I'm saying you are going about expressing your frustration in a poor way IF you actually want DE to listen to what you have to say. Calling for someoes's job (when what is wrong is not their job) is a just a WEEEE bit over the top.

• Like 3

Just to get my pennies worth in, i am also having binding issues, i generally use default settings for my controller but i use the "swipe" on my touch pad for gear wheel instead of abilities.  since the AW/NW3 update, the 'swipe always reverts back to the abilities, even though in the settings my gear wheel bindings still show.  the only way i've seen to 'fix' this is to return the binding to default, reload the game, rebind the 'swipe' to my gear wheel, and it will work for 1 mission, then upon returning to the orbiter and starting a new mission, the bindings revert back to default.  Other than this small issue, everything else seems to be working to y satisfaction, keep up the good work DE and stay safe.

Thank you,

DK

• Like 2

On 2020-05-15 at 2:38 PM, (PS4)True_Reclaimer said:

Hey, be nice... *Confirmed* They fixed it  (L1 abilities menu) and are aware of the issue the touch pad has with the gear wheel. Heck they even have a plan to fix with a timeline... and let us know about it the same feeling day. Let it go dude, I'm happy with the solution you should be too.

Thank you DE much appreciated 👏🌠😄

• Like 1

On 2020-05-13 at 10:28 AM, [DE]Danielle said:

Hey guys! Thanks for the reports - checked in with the team on this one and they have the issues logged (touch pad and ability menu binding blunders). We are taking a look at it. Apologies for the binding mess!

Hey Dani, any update on getting a fit though cert, or will we have to wait for the next console update? Since the next console update is a ways off, I hope that is not the case. Any info you have would be most welcome. TY

On 2020-05-19 at 5:27 AM, (PS4)BlightDragon89 said:

Hey Dani, any update on getting a fit though cert, or will we have to wait for the next console update? Since the next console update is a ways off, I hope that is not the case. Any info you have would be most welcome. TY

Well, on her stream yesterday, she said that where as they are looking for another solution, we will most likely have to wait for the next cert build. At least we know.

Also having this issue. Gear bindings to touch swipes just do powers. Also conservation is impossible because whistle is bound to R1 which is quick melee for me and it takes me out of conservation even when I hold the bumper. Probably other dedicated bindings elsewhere are also broken if you move quick melee to the same key.

8 hours ago, (PS4)HandOfLogan said:

Also having this issue. Gear bindings to touch swipes just do powers. Also conservation is impossible because whistle is bound to R1 which is quick melee for me and it takes me out of conservation even when I hold the bumper. Probably other dedicated bindings elsewhere are also broken if you move quick melee to the same key.

Having issues with this as well, having to use ability menu to be able to do animal preservation or fishing is really annoying as it means having to constantly change me controller config whenever i want to do them as i have never had the ability menu on my config as i've never needed it before. I don't know if the requirement to use the ability menu for fishing or animal preservation was an accidental change or an intentional one but i hope they fix/revert it soon as it makes fishing/animal preservation impossible without constantly changing your controls.

I have observed another interesting matter regarding keybinding issues since the fateful update that has destroyed our controls... 

Assigning certain actions to either Left or Right on the D-Pad completely removed access to the Tactical Menu or OMNI (via the R1+D-Pad Right keybinding) respectively. 

I will need to test it again when I have the chance, but I know that the Toggle Map Display, Show Quick Progress View and Set Waypoint commands were the three I moved around, and eventually I settled on having to move the Toggle Map to Down where I had my Quick Progress View and forego that altogether. I want to say it’s the map and progress view that are the culprits, but I will check for certainty later when I am able. 

There are a few things that have be noticed.

If controls are set to default one can not move the Ability Menu binding on the Ability Menu palette, it is locked on R1. I prefer to use L1 for Ability Menu personally and set Focus/Transference to R1, again on the Ability Menu palette tab. Ability Menu can still be moved on the General tab, however the changes are not reflected on the Ability Menu palette tab when it's done. This might be because there isn't a keybinding for Ability Menu to be selected on this palette tab. I personally have Ability Menu set to L1 and Melee Attack set to R1 on General, as it's more conformable to block with L2 while using combos, which adds the extra bonus of Aim Glide function more naturally, since with Primary/Secondary weapon out Aim Weapon produces a Aim Glide with L2 as well.

The next thing is that pressing the touch pad uses Focus/Transference instead of anything else that's bound to it, Quick Progress View in my case. I used Focus/Transference from the Ability Menu, again I use it by holding L1 and then pressing R1.

Other things that were noticed have to do with Railjack keybindings. On this palette Ability Menu is force bound to R1, which isn't ideal for myself, however even if it wasn't, there is no keybinding for Ability Menu. I've also noticed that there is a Cycle Power Left and Right, but no Activate Selected Power to make use of either of those. I would really like to move Ability Menu to L1, or remove and replace it with Activate Selected Power on L1.

R1 is fine for some, but muscle memory over 7 years with Ability use set to L1 is overwelming, especially when R1 was for Quick Melee, and block was moved from Up long ago.

P.S:

I did the testing while keeping my customization and it was doable with a few problems still there. I have since, accidentally, set it to default and saved it so I'm stuck with having to find a work around unless it's addressed. Let's hope muscle memory doesn't build up to much before that happens...

On a side note, it was nice to see 2 new things make it to the ability menu palette, Tactical Menu and Omni. It's be nice to see other things make it on that customization tab as well, and the controller expand and evolve. 

Some ideas, since it seems dead zoning the spirit to a distant tilt, freeing up the L3 button, is but a dream, what about adding the Reverse Camera to the Ability Menu palette for a second dream. There is also the option of adding Inspect to it as well, and allowing access to the Ability Menu even in a relay. Who cares if abilities are nullified in those specific cases? 

Edit notes:

The reason why Ability Menu on R1 isn't ideal for me on the Railjack palette tab, is that it conflicts with my muscle memory using Ability Menu with L1 on the General tab.

it seems like after it's saved the Ability Menu updates on the Ability Menu palette.

Another thought is it possible to implement left and right touch scre... pad presses, and not just the one big one?

Edited by (PS4)KyoMidori

Is there any word of when a fix might be in the works? I know it needs Cert, so I’m just wondering if there is even a loose idea of what is being aimed for. 

I, personally, understand that while frustrating as this is, you all have your hands full. I suppose I’d just like some light at the end of the tunnel to hope for ^_^

On 2020-05-12 at 7:43 PM, (PS4)DAVEGADGETBOY said:

Having similar issues myself, though my issue is that i can no longer change spears or bait when fishing as i don't have ability menu set anywhere on my controller as i've never needed it before. Really curious as to why DE would feel the need to change something that wasn't broken only to manage to break everything else.

All buttons on my PS4 controller are now at default settings. I cannot bind them/customize them the way I want. And this is only further exacerbated by the fact the fishing and hunting sub-menus don't work. "Use R1" to access baits, lures, change spears: it performs a melee.

We need a hotfix, DE. Thanks

On 2020-05-31 at 4:19 PM, (PS4)hamjam01 said:

All buttons on my PS4 controller are now at default settings. I cannot bind them/customize them the way I want. And this is only further exacerbated by the fact the fishing and hunting sub-menus don't work. "Use R1" to access baits, lures, change spears: it performs a melee.

We need a hotfix, DE. Thanks

In this very thread, Dani let us know that this is not hotfixable error. So unfortunately, we are going to have to wait till deadlock update for a fix.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2020-06-01 at 7:10 PM, (PS4)BlightDragon89 said:

In this very thread, Dani let us know that this is not hotfixable error. So unfortunately, we are going to have to wait till deadlock update for a fix.

Hey guys! Yes this is correct, the fix for the touch-pad issue will be coming with the Deadlock Protocol update on consoles. We are working on the build as we speak, we'll post the status thread once we are in Cert as usual 🙂

Thanks! 

• Like 6

Could you please soften the restrictions of keybinds too. There's so many things that cannot be bound where I want them to bind them (for example cannot put consumables menu on touchpad, cannot bind ability menu everywhere, cannot bind tactical menu everywhere. I know touchpad has some restrictions that regular buttons don't , but just allowing us to bind everything everwhere would help controller accessiblity.

Also maybe try to work solutions for a few things you can currently bind on touchpad and that don't work properly (for example I can bind the map to touchpad , but when I try to hold it to have the detailed map it doesn't work, same with the captura camera mode, even though I keybind place marker captura mode to touchpad, I have to rebind my controllers every time I enter captura mode since it's not supported). Really annoying because I have to rebind my controller every time I go to open world to be able to get detailled map, have to rebind for Railjack because I need ability menu to reach tactical menu which I don't usually need since I have dedicated buttons for my abilities on DPAD and I have to rebind every time I go into captura because I cannot open captura camera menu using touchpad. These are not even new issue's , they've been around since forever and I've kinda grown accustomed to them since each patch I hope a pass on controller accessibility is done yet it never happens.

Also if you could remove the restrictions on having the same button bound to two keys at once,  would also be great for some select situations where you want a specific control setup (like maybe have alt fire set on both face buttons and triggers).

Railjack controls also need proper dedicated controller binds for each abilities (right now it seems the abilties are bound to dpad by default, and if you bind anything else on dpad, you outright lose the ability to use dedicated ability buttons for your RJ abilities). Likewise there's restrictions to where you can bind the rotate left and right buttons ,and you can no longer place them on L1 and R1 for some reason (because I think ability menu is mandatory even though I don't use it in RJ because as I said, I hate ability menus).

Finally, perhaps consider adding the option for combo imputs (for example pressing two buttons at once to activate something else). Destiny 2 just did this and it tremendously increases the flexibility of what you can do with controls, and in a game like WF where there's more and more features that keep being added, It would help to be able to handle more features (since right now all my keys are being used to their full potential already, and I kinda hate the Ability Menu and anything of that nature. Small things like being able to hold O and Triangle to be able to deploy archgun / archwing / kdrive / shawzin , there's so much more that could be accomplished if the system was more flexible and allowed you to bind more stuff to more complex keypresses.

Also PS4 controller is still not natively supported on PC, meaning no touchpad support unless you use something like input mapper and do shenenigans to bind keyboard presses to the touchpad through it. Tons of games nowadays detect a PS4 controller natively without having to use a third party app, and it would be great not to have to emulate a Xbox One controller and hack the touchpad to be detected.

Edited by (PS4)Stealth_Cobra

• 2 weeks later...