Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Railjack drifting

Ketec

Question

I can't seem to notice any difference between normal boost vs supposedly "drift".
You just flat out slow down or stop when boost runs out.

Even mapping maneuver and boost on separate keys, and hitting boost and holding during maneuver seems to make no difference. What am i missing here?

10 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Ketec said:

I can't seem to notice any difference between normal boost vs supposedly "drift".
You just flat out slow down or stop when boost runs out.

Even mapping maneuver and boost on separate keys, and hitting boost and holding during maneuver seems to make no difference. What am i missing here?

13 minutes ago, (PS4)Hikuro-93 said:

Same here. I've never drifted, at least that I noticed. Unless the drift is that small sideways maneuver where you "dodge".

Drifting allows you to store energy while boosting. its slightly faster than boosting, but the main thing about it is that when you release it, it will lunge your railjack forward to a direction that it is facing.

Think of drifting as the "blink" on for railjack, except it goes further and needs charge. Max charge is stored right when the drifting sfx ends (which is roughly 3-4 seconds)

Drift charging is triggered on a double shift hold. Railjack will shoot itself forward when the shift key is released.

1 minute ago, Aadi880 said:

Drifting allows you to store energy while boosting. its slightly faster than boosting, but the main thing about it is that when you release it, it will lunge your railjack forward to a direction that it is facing.

Think of drifting as the "blink" on for railjack, except it goes further and needs charge. Max charge is stored right when the drifting sfx ends (which is roughly 3-4 seconds)

Drift charging is triggered on a double shift hold. Railjack will shoot itself forward when the shift key is released.

Oh! Now I see it! That's the move everyone used (including me) to get faster to Murexes in SS. Ty for explaining it to me, as I wasn't aware that was the drift. ^.^

Just now, Ketec said:

So it has nothing do do with drifting but it's actually just a afterburner.

Yeah, its not like the drifting in cars do. We can already kind-of emulate that with regular boost. Rather, It blinks your railjack forward after you stay in that mode for some time.

Note: It does make regular manuvers harder to do as it causing some, for the lack of a better word, "mouse acceleration" on your turning. But it is faster than just boosting regardless.

Drifting works very well for me when I am going to collect loot and the enemy markers are at the sides. In these cases, I will rotate sort of 90 degrees towards the enemy fighters and drift sideways towards the loot. Usually once I'm in place to vacuum the loot, my field of view is towards the oncoming enemy fighters and I can properly engage them without anymore rotating.

If you can imagine what I'm trying to describe.

Edit:

It's literally sort of like a car drifting actually, except in space.

Edited by Jemmies

14 hours ago, (PS4)AbBaNdOn_ said:

Activate boost, tap evasion to enter drift mode.

Drift is currently next to worthless because of how insanely fast it drains energy, and how painfully slow your energy regens when booost is off.

I feel like a lot of folks don't know about drift mode. If you boost/drift, and then kill your boost before the end, your RJ will jump a fair distance ahead. Short bursts with Particle Ram especially to plow into enemies for extra damage is nice.

2 hours ago, HoustonDragon said:

I feel like a lot of folks don't know about drift mode. If you boost/drift, and then kill your boost before the end, your RJ will jump a fair distance ahead. Short bursts with Particle Ram especially to plow into enemies for extra damage is nice.

Everyone who activates drift knows about the jump at the end because it also happens if you just let your energy run out.   Whats your point?  That hop at the end is nothing special.

I think they should do away with the hop at the end.  Just improve drift speed a little more (and make it a hell of a lot more effecient) and it will be awesome again. I really hate that you cant drift sideways or backwards without jumping forward at the end  Removing the hop would let you drift in all directions.