Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Personal Secret Hideouts!

Electropuncher

My ship is tiny. My dojo is massive. My Railjack is a nightmare of design mirroring the gamemode itself. Wouldn't it be cool if you could have like a little secret base where you can put together your own setup on a planet of your choice? I'd totally love to have a little home on Earth in a treefort, with a day-night cycle that actually mirrors the time of day I log on. Nothing fancy, just something that doesn't have a ceiling. Maybe you would prefer an asteroid base you stole from the Grineer, or an igloo on Europa. Possibly even have a firing range there, so you can test fire your guns without having to wade through two loading screens and a relay just to load up the Sim. Honestly, I'd be okay with that replacing the Simulacrum so I don't have some random YouTuber showing off a "broken" combo that doesn't work in a real mission, and then having the "combo" getting nerfed so hard it kills a Warframe or a weapon. 

Some ideas for where you set up your hideout.

Mercury: An abandoned garage in an asteroid base.

Venus: A room in Fortuna.

Earth: A treehouse outside of Cetus.

Mars: A Petra, Jordan, style of house carved into a cliff wall.

Phobos: A stolen Corpus skiff.

Deimos: An amniotic sac with the Necralisk on the horizon.

Ceres: An old Grineer factory with a river of sludge.

Jupiter: An abandoned platform in the clouds.

Europa: An igloo in the permafrost.

Saturn: A crashed Grineer freighter on Titan.

Uranus: A grotto with a ton of sea-life.

Neptune: Jupiter, but blue and with Nef Anyo's face everywhere.

Pluto: A Corpus garage built into a cave.

Eris: A salvaged Corp-fested ship that Helminth has made its new home.

Sedna: Ruins of a Rathuum arena.

Lua: Old Orokin housing complex.

What do you guys think?

56 minutes ago, (NSW)Electropuncher said:

My Railjack is a nightmare of design mirroring the gamemode itself.

Railjack layout reminds me a little bit of undercity in wow its just a maze to navigate !! unnecessary upper and lower parts you have to traverse as you go back and forth just to make it feel bigger ?

I don't dislike the idea of a hiedout but I think Railjack could easily become a "home base" if they redesigned it a little so it was easier to navigate

allow you to "park" your hideout some system of your choosing for the view when it isn't on missions.

maybe added a simulacrum room that unlocks if you own the simaris key. (who doesn't want a holodeck)

add a purely cosmetic captains quarters

allow decorating of the whole ship (within reason) so it could be shown off to other players on missions.

allow players to set it as their default craft

---so it would be the place to log in to.

---allow launching all missions from the railjack command table.

---have alternative mission intros of the railjack coming into orbit and the orbiter breaking off from that.

railjack is supposed to be this awesome ship but its only usable on a handful of missions! it could be put to more use and think having a bigger better home would be neat

22 hours ago, (PS4)Hikuro-93 said:

Of course, I'd love that. I don't know if you intended it in your post, but can I assume we'd be able to switch locations upon the payment of a small fee? Kinda like most camps of this type work in other games. GTA V Yachts, RDRO Camps, Fallout 76's C.A.M.P.'s come to mind.

Why would it have a fee? It's basically changing a background.

13 minutes ago, (NSW)Electropuncher said:

Why would it have a fee? It's basically changing a background.

It could, or could not. Most games do have it, which is why I believe DE we do the same if implemented., And it fits the game lore-wise since you're basically changing territories, and since it is akin to a "luxury" service (i.e., not needed to play the game). By fee I mean something like 10k credits, purely symbolical, which practically means "No fee at all".

3 minutes ago, (PS4)Hikuro-93 said:

It could, or could not. Most games do have it, which is why I believe DE we do the same if implemented., And it fits the game lore-wise since you're basically changing territories, and since it is akin to a "luxury" service (i.e., not needed to play the game). By fee I mean something like 10k credits, purely symbolical, which practically means "No fee at all".

I'd be okay with that. Considering this is the same game that makes you wait 12 hours for a rock to show up in your dojo, though...

On 2020-10-02 at 9:17 AM, _Anise_ said:

Railjack layout reminds me a little bit of undercity in wow its just a maze to navigate !! unnecessary upper and lower parts you have to traverse as you go back and forth just to make it feel bigger ?

I don't understand how people are getting lost in their Railjacks any more. Yes, on first visit I can see that, but on a second visit? It has literally a single location with more than one deck. All one would need to remember is that aft access is on the lower deck, fore access is on the middle deck. That's quite literally it.

On 2020-10-02 at 8:21 AM, (NSW)Electropuncher said:

My ship is tiny.

Wouldn't the solution, then, be to expand the interior space of the our ships? Remember - the Orbiter is a capital S#&$, frigate-size at least. The problem is we don't have access to pretty much any of it beyond the front section. Personally, I'd like to see a major expansion of the Orbiter, featuring actual facilities which make it seem lived-in. I'd like to see actual sleeping quarters with a bed and such. I'd like to see a space bathroom. I'd like to see some sort of gym and firing range to indicate we do some amount of training, I'd like to see a personal study to indicate we do some amount of research into our targets. I'd like to see a kitchen and maybe a larder somewhere. Hell, I'd like to see the actual Arsenal storage room somewhere on the ship - presumably all those guns and Warframes and mechs and flying machines have to live somewhere. I'd like to see a hangar for my Landing Craft, as well.

I mean, I'm not entirely opposed to having a ground camp somewhere, but I don't see the point, narratively speaking. We don't need to camp when we carry our homes on our backs. Indeed, this is the lore behind the Orbiters themselves. Part of what makes the Tenno so dangerous is that they're nomadic, able to pick up and move their entire operation anywhere at a moment's notice. That's what makes them hard to track down and kill. We're not on a car trip where we need to unpack and camp out in the open. We're on a camper trip, where we can easily live within our own vehicle.

39 minutes ago, Steel_Rook said:

I don't understand how people are getting lost in their Railjacks any more

because railjack isn't really all that fun and there is no reason to do it unless forced to by nightwave, the few times I do yeah its hard to navigate specially when there is an alarm going off saying there is a fire somewhere around the middle of the ship and you are having to open the map witch is 2d trying to figure out where the heck this fire is and on what level while having 10 seconds to do so, 🙄

Why would anyone ever design a ship when you have to go down a level to go up a level to get to the room you want? is it that hard to just have a single corridor running through the length of the ship that gives easy access to everything ?

3 hours ago, _Anise_ said:

because railjack isn't really all that fun and there is no reason to do it unless forced to by nightwave, the few times I do yeah its hard to navigate specially when there is an alarm going off saying there is a fire somewhere around the middle of the ship and you are having to open the map witch is 2d trying to figure out where the heck this fire is and on what level while having 10 seconds to do so, 🙄

Why would anyone ever design a ship when you have to go down a level to go up a level to get to the room you want? is it that hard to just have a single corridor running through the length of the ship that gives easy access to everything ?

You ever visit a military museum and taken a tour of one of the decommissioned vessels? Or seen the layout of one of the old frigates from the age of sail? 

diagram-of-a-frigate1.jpg

Railjack is a dream of simplicity, compared to those. 

5 hours ago, _Anise_ said:

Because the ship itself is "slanted." The aft sits lower than the fore, relative to the ship's horizon. Why they chose to do that? No idea - probably they thought it looked cool. Look at, for instance, the ship Serenity from Firefly - it has an elevated nose relative to its hull. I also believe this is a result of some kind of last 11th hour interior redesigns. It's pretty clear DE initially intended to host all of our Orbiter functionality inside the Railjack likely in the large three-deck section amidship. You can see that the nacelles sit VERY differently when viewed from inside than when viewed from outside.

I wasn't so much trying to S#&$-talk you, though. More to say that it really is as simple as dropping a deck to move aft and climbing a deck to move fore. I too found the ship confusing initially, but it really is that simple.

1 hour ago, Steel_Rook said:

Because the ship itself is "slanted." The aft sits lower than the fore, relative to the ship's horizon. Why they chose to do that? No idea - probably they thought it looked cool. Look at, for instance, the ship Serenity from Firefly - it has an elevated nose relative to its hull. I also believe this is a result of some kind of last 11th hour interior redesigns. It's pretty clear DE initially intended to host all of our Orbiter functionality inside the Railjack likely in the large three-deck section amidship. You can see that the nacelles sit VERY differently when viewed from inside than when viewed from outside.

I wasn't so much trying to S#&$-talk you, though. More to say that it really is as simple as dropping a deck to move aft and climbing a deck to move fore. I too found the ship confusing initially, but it really is that simple.

Big void engine thing is to the top, I guess. Forge is probably beneath and abaft of some mechanism that powers it. 

Regarding what we can see out of the "potholes"... I think of it as that's a projected image, fed from sensors on the hull. Like what we see when we are in the side guns. 

On 2020-10-03 at 8:44 AM, Steel_Rook said:

I don't understand how people are getting lost in their Railjacks any more. Yes, on first visit I can see that, but on a second visit? It has literally a single location with more than one deck. All one would need to remember is that aft access is on the lower deck, fore access is on the middle deck. That's quite literally it.

Because several of the rooms just exist and have no feature other than an exit at this point. 

On 2020-10-03 at 8:44 AM, Steel_Rook said:

Wouldn't the solution, then, be to expand the interior space of the our ships? Remember - the Orbiter is a capital S#&$, frigate-size at least. The problem is we don't have access to pretty much any of it beyond the front section. Personally, I'd like to see a major expansion of the Orbiter, featuring actual facilities which make it seem lived-in. I'd like to see actual sleeping quarters with a bed and such. I'd like to see a space bathroom. I'd like to see some sort of gym and firing range to indicate we do some amount of training, I'd like to see a personal study to indicate we do some amount of research into our targets. I'd like to see a kitchen and maybe a larder somewhere. Hell, I'd like to see the actual Arsenal storage room somewhere on the ship - presumably all those guns and Warframes and mechs and flying machines have to live somewhere. I'd like to see a hangar for my Landing Craft, as well.

I mean, I'm not entirely opposed to having a ground camp somewhere, but I don't see the point, narratively speaking. We don't need to camp when we carry our homes on our backs. Indeed, this is the lore behind the Orbiters themselves. Part of what makes the Tenno so dangerous is that they're nomadic, able to pick up and move their entire operation anywhere at a moment's notice. That's what makes them hard to track down and kill. We're not on a car trip where we need to unpack and camp out in the open. We're on a camper trip, where we can easily live within our own vehicle.

Scale in Warframe is blatantly inconsistent. You ever notice how your orbiter is way bigger in Archwing missions than it is when you leave a mission? Not to mention how colossal they are in relays? It could be my imagination, but it doesn't seem like we really have have a "frigate" sized anything. Hell, our railjacks are tiny compared to a Grineer Galleon, and the railjack itself dwarves our orbiter. But yeah, we could stand to have a ship that isn't a cockpit, an armory, a bedroom (with no bed), a chair with an angry worm attached to it, and a tree with a child sitting on it. As for a bathroom, it's kind of implied that you don't eat, thus you probably don't poop. Again, maybe that's just my interpretation, but Helminth does say he feeds for you, somehow.

As for the point: Something less claustrophobic and less "hey, this window cracks and you're lost forever." And as for a lot of your lore-based conjecture, I'd like to remind you that a lot of the stuff that we've learned in the codex is contradicted by quests and systems. Yeah, we're nomadic warriors that travel light, and alone, but we're also

Spoiler

apparently immortal child soldiers who blindly followed/were mind controlled by an angry toaster who dressed up like a lady we knew and thought we were cute, and the game's entire marketing is based around her logo.

Maybe it's time to settle down. Not to mention we can apparently instantaneously travel to the periphery of the solar system in literal seconds, so it's not a stretch to have a base camp.

Besides, who needs story when you can have style?

7 hours ago, (NSW)Electropuncher said:

Scale in Warframe is blatantly inconsistent. You ever notice how your orbiter is way bigger in Archwing missions than it is when you leave a mission? Not to mention how colossal they are in relays? It could be my imagination, but it doesn't seem like we really have have a "frigate" sized anything. Hell, our railjacks are tiny compared to a Grineer Galleon, and the railjack itself dwarves our orbiter. But yeah, we could stand to have a ship that isn't a cockpit, an armory, a bedroom (with no bed), a chair with an angry worm attached to it, and a tree with a child sitting on it. As for a bathroom, it's kind of implied that you don't eat, thus you probably don't poop. Again, maybe that's just my interpretation, but Helminth does say he feeds for you, somehow.

I think you're mixing up the Orbiter and the Landing Craft. The Landing Craft is small, yes. It appears to have only enough internal space to hold one Warframe in a prone position. It's ostensibly a flying coffin, which is why it has that rotating airlock, rather than having any sort of hatch. The Orbiter is much, much larger than this. We don't really have an in-game model of its exterior anywhere, so the only thing we have to go on is that one bit of concept art you can see in the Wiki, which is actually from the Orbiter Cephalon Fragment in-game. Luckily, that image does have a scale reference, as it includes the Liset Landing Craft at the nose of the ship. Even excluding the empty space at the back where the engine nacelle array is, that's still a big ship - easily larger than the Railjack, at the very least.

And yes, it does seem that one of the original concepts for the game WAS for the cockpit to be the actual Landing Craft docked to the front of the Orbiter and accessing the rest of the ship through hatch at the back. This concept seems to have been discarded, however, as the Landing Craft we have today are far smaller and outfitted with the "coffin roller" airlock, instead. That and we have a number of different shapes of them now, most of which don't fit the cockpit shape. At this point, I think it's safe to say that our Orbiter cockpit is no longer intended to be a docked Landing Craft.

Sadly, DE never did anything with our Landing Craft. We don't get to see the majority of the internal space and we don't see any of their external shape. That's the reason I'd like to see those expanded, with more internals even if they don't do anything, with the ability to jump out in our Archwings and look around the Orbiter from the outside, with the ability to dock the Railjack to the Landing Craft, etc. It's all non-gameplay stuff in that it's mostly just for the sake of being "neat." However, the Tomb Raider games from the late 90s and early 2000s proved, I think, that having Croft Manor was still worth it regardless. It gave us a safe space to practice our movements, it gave us a sense of where Lara lived, it offered a few secrets and overall it was just "neat" to have something other than combat spaces.

Archived