Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Yet another Tenno's experience with Hydroid

NDMJ

Dear DE,

Despite what the title says, I'll try to restrain myself from making this a "give Hydroid a damn rework already" type of post.
All of us (and I'm absolutely sure all of you, DE) know how terrible Hydroid is at the moment.

I crafted Hydroid Prime not that long ago and was eager to start playing with him. The pirate aesthetic really drove me to get this Euron Greyjoy vibe from Hydroid.
When I got into the game, ranked him up and unlocked his abilities, I found that all of them have a very very "meh" feeling to them first of all.

The feeling of Warframe in general, is unlike any other game I've had the experience of playing. The abilities, combat, movement in this game is what makes any (almost any - not Granum Void smh) grind thrown our way tolerable. Abilities being tight, sharp, making an impact (and giving the player feedback that they've made an impact) - that's a big thing.
This usually comes as a consequence of good ability and warframe design before anything else. As much as Hydroid has in aesthetics, he lacks in design. Still tho, he does have massive potential.

Let's just focus on Tidal Surge. Hydroid becomes a wave that crashes into enemies. This sounds so much better than it actually feels in game. The wave is slow, doesn't really cover that much distance, doesn't really do that much CC and it deals very little damage. So, is it a movement ability with side-effects? Is it a damage/CC ability that just moves you a bit? It feels like a failed attempt at being somewhere in between all of this. I'd love to see it be a movement/CC ability. Make it go further, faster, be more controllable and to really send enemies flying. Make it proc blast and impact on enemies and stun them for a couple of seconds. The same kind of approach can be taken with pretty much all of his abilities. Let Hydroid be a dodgy, death defying pirate from the depths, that's extremely tricky to kill because he can become a wave or a puddle. It would be amazing if using one of these abilities felt like outsmarting your opponents and avoiding certain death or getting a better position on them.

I don't wanna spam with paragraphs of ideas, and you know, maybe it is just me who sees Hydroid as such a failure with so much damn potential behind it.
I'd love to see it be how I hoped it would from the aesthetics, nothing more

16 minutes ago, NDMJ said:

The wave is slow, doesn't really cover that much distance, doesn't really do that much CC and it deals very little damage

Can you post your build? All of these are affected by the stats. Higher range makes it move faster. You can make it go faster and/or further. Don’t get me wrong, I am not suggesting this ability is any good, you just seem to be making a point that suggests you don’t know how to work it.

18 minutes ago, NDMJ said:

All of us (and I'm absolutely sure all of you, DE) know how terrible Hydroid is at the moment.

Try not to assume. I don’t think that Hydroid is terrible. He’s not the best, but he has some uses. Yes, a rework would be beneficial.

22 minutes ago, krc473 said:

Try not to assume. I don’t think that Hydroid is terrible. He’s not the best, but he has some uses. Yes, a rework would be beneficial.

I do believe he's THAT terrible.

2/4 abilities are borderline RNG based and the other 2 are extremely clunky.

In a team base scenario, the group will be better off without Hydroid's abilities, since most of them makes the enemies flail around, toss them into oblivion or just "hide" them. In solo play you can use him, but I believe without specific types of weapons, explosives in particular, you are also better off not using his abilities that much (maybe panic button?) 

Hydroid is arguably the worst Warframe in the game. His abilities are extremely outdated and very contradictory to the fast paced combat of Warframe. Snail speed undertow, uncontrollable tidal surge, terrible damage tempest barrage in a game where DPS matters, and not very useful crowd control tentacle swarm. 

Everyone here has pretty much taken the words out of my mouth. Got nothing else to say really other than the usual "Hydroid is steaming hot garbage".

2 hours ago, NDMJ said:

I don't wanna spam with paragraphs of ideas

Wouldn't make any difference if you did mate. I speak from nearly a decade of seeing myself and other Hydroid enthusiasts craft incredibly interesting and detailed rework proposals on this stupid forum and all its amounted to is a tribute to the God of Wasting-Your-Slimy-Peasant-Time.

DE don't care about Hydroid and just straight up ignore any mention of a rework for him, even when he is getting some new skin or something. I wouldn't bother putting in any effort in making another thread like this mate.

2 hours ago, krc473 said:

I don’t think that Hydroid is terrible. He’s not the best, but he has some uses.

Like what. His augment was the only thing that kept him barely relevant and now Khora has firmly unseated him in that area. Augments should never be used to excuse bad frames to begin with anyway.

What real uses does Hydroid actually have outside of his (now dead) farming area, because I cannot think of any situation where he is more or even just as useful as another frame.

Hydroid is terrible. 

5 hours ago, TheGodofWiFi said:

Like what. His augment was the only thing that kept him barely relevant and now Khora has firmly unseated him in that area.

I guess the issue here is with the difficulty in getting Khora. You can buy Hydroid, you must farm a Khora. So, for people that don’t have a Khora, he is okay as a loot frame. 

5 hours ago, TheGodofWiFi said:

because I cannot think of any situation where he is more or even just as useful as another frame.

You seem to be ignoring many things here. There are so many instances where your frame choice is pretty much irrelevant, because weapons can easily do it for you. What you have to account for is that people will just prefer him to other frames. I find Hydroid better than Atlas or Grendel for example. He feels less pointless than them.

Again, I am not arguing that he doesn’t need a rework. He does, it’s long overdue.

4 hours ago, (PSN)AbyssalGladious said:

have you even tried working with builds cause i got mine to go 87.6 m/s 
its a movement ability that synergies with the rest of his kit 

It is an ability, costing energy, to move in a restrictive way... it isnt even as good as zepyhrs similar ability because it is limited to horizontal movement.

Why would you ever need to use it when you can bullet jump in any direction? For free... with no energy cost... while using your weapons...

Hydroid is a remnant of the old warframe that was slower and less vertical. I like him but his kit is not good.

7 hours ago, DrivaMain said:

Hydroid is arguably the worst Warframe in the game. His abilities are extremely outdated and very contradictory to the fast paced combat of Warframe. Snail speed undertow, uncontrollable tidal surge, terrible damage tempest barrage in a game where DPS matters, and not very useful crowd control tentacle swarm. 

You can say that he's slow and that it does not fit the game. But he can push out some meaty damage on level 100+ enemies if he's built right. You can go onto a survival and just sit at a door and watch people get mowed down by tentacles and corrosive barrage.

I'll just post what I wrote on the other thread about possible rework:

Funny just talked about this with a friend today and we were saying the same things that his buddle needs to be placeable without hydroid himself being stuck inside. The idea we had was "hold 3 to get in the buddle, tap 3 to place it on your crosshair for X seconds without Hydroid going in himself allowing for free movement while using it". Obviously balance it however needed. 

I wouldnt want his Tidal Surge to just remove armor though, I feel like too many warframes are starting to do that and it feels kinda boring. Id kinda rather see it as a mobility ability of some sort. Like casting Tidal Surge while aiming at a buddle made by his 3rd would teleport him to the buddle and make him emerge out of it. Kinda like Wisp with reservoirs and breach surge. Or enemies hit by Tidal Surge would be caught by tentacles.

Tempest barrage could be changed to a stationary "rain cloud" that had a duration similar to Gauss fire rings and it would bombard the area for a longer period of time (again, balance it out for this) 

9 hours ago, Whitestrake0 said:

You can say that he's slow and that it does not fit the game. But he can push out some meaty damage on level 100+ enemies if he's built right. You can go onto a survival and just sit at a door and watch people get mowed down by tentacles and corrosive barrage.

Camping is a bad strategy and DE admitted that they don't want players to camp. 

Hydroid can't do anything meaningful in most content and upcoming content except Survival and in Survival other frames do his job a lot better.

Wukong used to take the "worst warframe of the game" crown but since he got reworked last year, Hydroid takes that crown. Before you mention Nyx, she can be used everywhere except Eidolon Hunting.

I tried a 300HP with 250% duration and 230%strength in steel path in an extermination in the void (aura corrosive projection)

His 3rd can kill mobs, but it's damned soo slow

His 4th don't kill anything, even with his 1st.

Having duration / power to make his 3rd work lead to negative efficiency and negative range which makes his 2nd not that useful.

He definitely needs a rework, so that he could be useful appart from a niche use with pfilfering swarm in a team with a nuke frame.

57 minutes ago, MonsterOfMyOwn said:

I tried a 300HP with 250% duration and 230%strength in steel path in an extermination in the void (aura corrosive projection)

His 3rd can kill mobs, but it's damned soo slow

His 4th don't kill anything, even with his 1st.

Having duration / power to make his 3rd work lead to negative efficiency and negative range which makes his 2nd not that useful.

He definitely needs a rework, so that he could be useful appart from a niche use with pfilfering swarm in a team with a nuke frame.

Did you use Corrosive Barrage? Because that makes a very large difference, far bigger than you'd think. Once I started using that I was surprised at how much he could consistently pump out

On 2020-12-01 at 12:24 PM, Leqesai said:

It is an ability, costing energy, to move in a restrictive way... it isnt even as good as zepyhrs similar ability because it is limited to horizontal movement.

Why would you ever need to use it when you can bullet jump in any direction? For free... with no energy cost... while using your weapons...

Hydroid is a remnant of the old warframe that was slower and less vertical. I like him but his kit is not good.

mainly ment for leqesai
yes i agree about the bullet jump thing. buuuuut Actually play the frames AND experiment before saying something so dumb
1 you can use movement abilities after bullet jumping
2 zephyhr's ability is not limited to horizontal you can hold the cast button on many frames and it will do something else
3   every ability in hydroids kit is easy use and synergies with every ability in his kit
(don't use in steel path cause he is a farming frame) 
now shhh and stop posting stupid stuff on everything i see on my posts/replies 

I love the frame but i agree with the critics.

His 1 does very low damage but i like how it works, pretty satisfying to see enemies fall to the ground. The damage is extremely low though. I guess because the CC.

His 2 is uncontrollable and not useful at all in most situations, but again it works to sweep enemies and make them fall. Again CC

His 3 supposedly is intended to trap high level enemies and blocking a path too, but honestly i havent time for that. Warframe is all about mobility. And it feels awful to control the puddle.

His 4 again has low damage but its good to farm and again CC. Enemies cant reach the cryopod if they are dangling from tentacles

So all in all i would say hydroid is a CC frame in an age dominated by nukes. Its normal most people dont like it.

Archived