Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Gunslinger Warframe Concept - With Art By Ignusdei

TunaMayo

-snip-

luke_by_ignusdei-d6sfwov.jpg

ohhh i love that art design! :D just awesome work from IgnusDei!!!

Your Powers are also kinnda cool, i had some ideas of my own too for a Frame like this, here they are:

In my imagination the Gunslinger Frame would have 2 unique Pistols, that he uses for his Abilitys simmilar to Ash´s  and Valkyr´s Blades.

1. Jackpot (DMC anyone?!^^)

The gunslinger channels Warframe energy into his trusty guns and fires 2 (1 for each pistol) supercharged shots that cut through every enemy they hit(innate puch through). Each shot deals 500 damage with a 100% proc chance. One is pure puncture and the other pure slash damage, both proc respectively bleed and punctured!

2. Bulletstorm

No one fires faster then the Gunslinger! Upon activation you channel for 5 seconds, firing at a blistering rate in a cone in front of you. Every shot deals ~50 impact (just suggesting, no idea when it comes to numbers) damage with a 100% knockback/stagger proc.

3. GunKata (cuz Equilibrium was awesooome!)

**I have difficulties, coming up with a concept that really would work in game for this, however i like the idea a lot. Here is what i have so far:

As a true master of Guns, the Gunslinger can evade getting hit and precisely take out anyone attempting to at the same time!

Activation starts a channeling state, in that state the Gunslinger "evades" all range projectiles(not melee hits or rockets). Simultaniously firing in all directions (auto targeting enemys) at enemys around him. 

Your Pistols would copy the damage/stats of your current secondary for this skill!

***imagine this as a kind of "dance", you would still be able to move at low/walking speed and steer the direction of your Frame this way.

Here is an example:

I have not a good idea for an Ultimate yet, will edit* once i ahve something.^^

Edited by r0ckwolf

Just read the concept. very awesome, Im genuinely impressed with how well it turned out and would fit into Warframe. You should add a note about the coat (with a bandeolier or two across his chest?) syandana thing to the main post.

Also just a thought here... and this may seem kind of radical: but maybe some of the abilities would be toggled??

Hear me out. Im aware warframe has had no abilities like this, but I think it could be cool, especially for a warframe so reliant on his guns. Toggling would mean that the abilities could be active for an entire firefight (provided there was enough energy to continue them), whatever the length of the fight. For example, using Momentum (I know it's one of his back-up skill ideas but I love it, or even say Survivor for this example): it would suck to use this ability when a fight suddenly turns out to be shorter than you expected, wasting the energy, or vice versa, when it is much longer than anticipated and the ability expires right when you're about to capitalize on it (say, building Momentum stacks with rapid fire sidearms to unleash that deal-sealing shot from your Vectis sniper rifle). In those situations, a toggled ability would allow Luke to use them however long he needed to, to fit the situation. Think about it :P

Additionally, to clarify, toggled would mean that having said ability active would constantly drain your energy pool and could be turned on/off whenever. Higher cost abilities would just drain the pool faster. There'd also be some serious potential with power efficiency mods here (though power duration would be out, Im aware... since toggled technically is infinite duration spaced across uses).

But here's my second big point about the toggling. Multiple abilities could be active simultaneously, consuming great amounts of energy together but skillful use of the ability combos with proper management off the toggling could create some truly awesome burst damage or close call situations (imagine Gunzerk and Momentum being switched on at the last second to finish off that boss that was about to end you). Also, maybe there could be a n additional energy cost for having multiple abilities active at the same time, to encourage careful use of the combos.

The reason why I'd advocate for toggling over just set durations (which could just as easily create the combo-ing of Luke's abilities) is because this would likely create a learning curve to his abilities that would, when mastered, leave players utilizing his combos at just the right moment for devastating effects rather than just popping his abilities and going wild while they lasted, attempting to use every second of them.

Just my personal thoughts on it. Take them or leave them, as long as you hear me out I'll be happy haha awesome concept, again!

P.S. it would be really cool if the gun clones of Luke during his ult benefitted from what he had toggled as active! :P

• 2 weeks later...

Just read the concept. very awesome, Im genuinely impressed with how well it turned out and would fit into Warframe. You should add a note about the coat (with a bandeolier or two across his chest?) syandana thing to the main post.

Also just a thought here... and this may seem kind of radical: but maybe some of the abilities would be toggled??

Hear me out. Im aware warframe has had no abilities like this, but I think it could be cool, especially for a warframe so reliant on his guns. Toggling would mean that the abilities could be active for an entire firefight (provided there was enough energy to continue them), whatever the length of the fight. For example, using Momentum (I know it's one of his back-up skill ideas but I love it, or even say Survivor for this example): it would suck to use this ability when a fight suddenly turns out to be shorter than you expected, wasting the energy, or vice versa, when it is much longer than anticipated and the ability expires right when you're about to capitalize on it (say, building Momentum stacks with rapid fire sidearms to unleash that deal-sealing shot from your Vectis sniper rifle). In those situations, a toggled ability would allow Luke to use them however long he needed to, to fit the situation. Think about it :P

Additionally, to clarify, toggled would mean that having said ability active would constantly drain your energy pool and could be turned on/off whenever. Higher cost abilities would just drain the pool faster. There'd also be some serious potential with power efficiency mods here (though power duration would be out, Im aware... since toggled technically is infinite duration spaced across uses).

But here's my second big point about the toggling. Multiple abilities could be active simultaneously, consuming great amounts of energy together but skillful use of the ability combos with proper management off the toggling could create some truly awesome burst damage or close call situations (imagine Gunzerk and Momentum being switched on at the last second to finish off that boss that was about to end you). Also, maybe there could be a n additional energy cost for having multiple abilities active at the same time, to encourage careful use of the combos.

The reason why I'd advocate for toggling over just set durations (which could just as easily create the combo-ing of Luke's abilities) is because this would likely create a learning curve to his abilities that would, when mastered, leave players utilizing his combos at just the right moment for devastating effects rather than just popping his abilities and going wild while they lasted, attempting to use every second of them.

Just my personal thoughts on it. Take them or leave them, as long as you hear me out I'll be happy haha awesome concept, again!

P.S. it would be really cool if the gun clones of Luke during his ult benefitted from what he had toggled as active! :P

Thankyou for your feedback!

It would be interesting to have a frame with toggled abilities, but then at the same time extremely controversial.

How would you go about balancing around the lack of duration whilst bearing in mind his ult would probably still rely on duration?

How would you justify giving just this frame toggle powers and not other suitable frames? (Zephyr and turbulence, Hydroid and undertow, ember and world on fire etc).

I understand how toggled powers could be appealing, and viable for Luke, but it would either result in backlash from the community or adding toggled powers for other frames, meaning a complete rework and balancing of certain frames and mods.

This is one of the reasons I tried to keep it in tone with the game meta at the time. But, if you can think of justifications for toggled powers as a whole in warframe, and not just for Luke, I'd love to hear it!

And that would be a rather nice touch for his ultimate! I've always been an advocate of trying to change Nekros' ult so that shadows are effected by team buffs, I don't see why not on Luke!

Wonderful! I was just recently thinking of how this game needed a frame focused on augmenting gunplay, rather than attempting to replace it.

I propose the name "Virgil", after Virgil Earp, one of the greatest (if not well known) gunslingers of the old west, and the one with the coolest name (we can't very well have a "Wyatt" or "Holiday" frame). Here are some skill concepts I thought of:

Sharpshooter - Virgil focuses, increasing headshot damage while tightening the spread of his weapon and reducing its recoil for an amount of time.

Execution - Virgil fires a powerful shot aimed for the target's vitals. While the power will fail without a firearm equipped, or while not aiming at a valid target, all enemies down the sight will be hit and knocked back. (I'll acknowledge right now how incompatible this is inherently with continuous and/or range-limited weapons, but I trust someone to find a subversion.)

Bullet Storm - For the power's duration, the user and nearby teammates do not consume ammo, allowing them to fire an unending stream of bullets.

Wonderful! I was just recently thinking of how this game needed a frame focused on augmenting gunplay, rather than attempting to replace it.

I propose the name "Virgil", after Virgil Earp, one of the greatest (if not well known) gunslingers of the old west, and the one with the coolest name (we can't very well have a "Wyatt" or "Holiday" frame). Here are some skill concepts I thought of:

Sharpshooter - Virgil focuses, increasing headshot damage while tightening the spread of his weapon and reducing its recoil for an amount of time.

Execution - Virgil fires a powerful shot aimed for the target's vitals. While the power will fail without a firearm equipped, or while not aiming at a valid target, all enemies down the sight will be hit and knocked back. (I'll acknowledge right now how incompatible this is inherently with continuous and/or range-limited weapons, but I trust someone to find a subversion.)

Bullet Storm - For the power's duration, the user and nearby teammates do not consume ammo, allowing them to fire an unending stream of bullets.

The idea of an ability failing for any reason feels.... wrong, and while I like the idea of Sharpshooter, I feel as though it could be refined to be more useful with even melee:

Hawk-Eye/Eagle-Eye - Virgil focuses, increasing critical strike chance and damage while tightening the spread of his firearms.

I also think that Bullet Storm should have it's effect KINDA nerfed so it seems less like an ultimate because there's already an ability on the main post that would be SUCH a cool ultimate. So perhaps:

Bullet Storm - For the power's duration, Virgil and nearby teammates have their magazine size and fire-rate doubled and their reload time halved.

And for a proper ultimate:

Posse - Virgil creates energy clones of himself that carry duplicates of his sidearm. These clones follow Virgil and fire at whatever he fires at.

Four ability... I dunno. Someone suggest something.

Also, though I like the name Virgil I can't help but feel like it sounds off... I dunno, the more I think about it the more it sounds fine anyway. 

If I could offer some alternative names:

Vigil - feels western, even if it is just a one-letter difference, but we have a LOT of V-names, so:

Cazador - Spanish for "hunter" or shooter, conjures up an idea of Mexico (for me) and with it that arid American-desert setting

Cazar - A more feminine sounding name, but we ARE due for a female frame next. Is the verb form of the above, meaning "to hunt," "to chase." Same reasoning for Cazador.

Calamity - While we're on women, how about naming her after Calamity Jane? Would also work for a male frame (if maybe making the reference weird)

Procopio - A bandit, I think the name sounds damn cool.

Edited by Morec0

The idea of an ability failing for any reason feels.... wrong

Perhaps I didn't word it too well. Desecrate 'fails' when there are no suitable corpses in range; Soul Punch and Smite 'fail' when not properly aimed. Along those lines.

While your idea for Hawk / Eagle Eye increasing critical chance seems fair, promoting the need for precise aim seems befitting of a gunslinger frame. Also there are mods named Hawk Eye and Eagle Eye, those were some of my first name considerations as well until I remembered them.

Perhaps I didn't word it too well. Desecrate 'fails' when there are no suitable corpses in range; Soul Punch and Smite 'fail' when not properly aimed. Along those lines.

While your idea for Hawk / Eagle Eye increasing critical chance seems fair, promoting the need for precise aim seems befitting of a gunslinger frame. Also there are mods named Hawk Eye and Eagle Eye, those were some of my first name considerations as well until I remembered them.

Ahhhh, I see. Gotcha. As long as it's not just "use used this with no gun? F*** you! you get nothing!" it sounds fine.

And yeah, I remember that now, so disregard it. How about instead (and I'm just throwing this out there):

Farsight - Virgil's zoom increases greatly while aiming down the sights of his weapon.

Don't like it all that much, but just trying to think of a good idea. I think the rest of the one's I suggested are good.

Thankyou for your feedback!

It would be interesting to have a frame with toggled abilities, but then at the same time extremely controversial.

How would you go about balancing around the lack of duration whilst bearing in mind his ult would probably still rely on duration?

How would you justify giving just this frame toggle powers and not other suitable frames? (Zephyr and turbulence, Hydroid and undertow, ember and world on fire etc).

I understand how toggled powers could be appealing, and viable for Luke, but it would either result in backlash from the community or adding toggled powers for other frames, meaning a complete rework and balancing of certain frames and mods.

This is one of the reasons I tried to keep it in tone with the game meta at the time. But, if you can think of justifications for toggled powers as a whole in warframe, and not just for Luke, I'd love to hear it!

And that would be a rather nice touch for his ultimate! I've always been an advocate of trying to change Nekros' ult so that shadows are effected by team buffs, I don't see why not on Luke!

Well, I understand that concern for sure. I knew my idea was pretty radical XD but it's food for thought.

There are some current abilities for warframes now that seem like they would be affected by certain mods, but are not. Actually, there are some abilities that benefit from certain mods in unusual ways (a great example of this would be Nova's Null Star: Power Duration mods add more particles to orbit her, rather than a time duration since that ability has no set duration).

With the toggled abilities I proposed, and in referencing your original post, here's some ways this could work:

• Gunzerk - (Toggled) Power Duration mods would inversely modify reload times (ie. speed up reload times drastically). I know your original post suggests that no ammo would be consumed during Gunzerk, but I think it should, but rather increase clip size to an amount that more than makes for the increased clip consumption stemming from the increased fire rate. Note, this ability should still not consumeeee ammo, just work with the clip's capacity. Why do I propose this? Well, in most cases a bottomless clip would be fine, but what about, say, weapons such as the Vectis, or Paris? In the case of the Vectis, maybe a bottomless clip wouldn't be a big deal, but for bows, it would be very, very odd to be shooting arrows without having to draw them from the quiver... so the arrows would just appear? And firing bows would be like God of War in this state? :o well with my proposed change, the clip increase would benefit larger clip weapons very well while adding some benefits for one-shot-clip weapons (to prevent them from being overpowered, I mean imagine a bottomless clip with a fully modded Dread. I wouldn't even need the ult XD ), but one-shot-clip weapons would have other benefits from this skill such as the decreased reload times resulting in less time between single-shots aaaand the fire rate would really help with charging up bow shots! So it'd still be balanced.
  • Maybe Critical Thinking would not be toggled. In alot of ways, it would be like Valkyr's Warcry or Rhino's Roar. No need to toggle. Affected by duration mods regularly. Also, you should specify the radius for this ability's cast, affected by Power Range mods. :D
  • Survivor "[Luke] gains 5% damage reduction and 5% damage buff per enemy surrounding him in a 10m radius... for 5/10/15 seconds..." Alright so, in thinking about modding, I imagine Power strength would increase the % buffs to Luke, while Power Range should increase the radius of the ability's effect. Duration (as you stated) would affect the duration. However, I propose Survivor (toggled) should utilize Power Duration by increasing the cap of enemies used to buff Luke. What cap? Well, this is a bit of a stretch, and I like the ability as it is, but if it was toggled (or even just as it is, I think it should have this) Survivor would have an enemy cap that it can work upon. Thus, at rank 0, maybe this ability could only affect a maximum of five enemies (actually this would make sense since usually there are slightly less enemies in lower level areas), but at rank 3 it could affect 20 enemies. So, with Power Duration, you could even get maxed Survivor ability to affect 30+ enemies! This way, without proper modding, the ability would have some restriction on the amount of buffs it can give to Luke, but it also hinges upon your placement of Luke on the battlefield to make the best use of the cast (and give some reason to mod him with Power Range too, to catch more enemies in the radius!!). I personally think this is fair, but it'd be great to hear from you to see what you think. Remember this is all just suggestion.
  • Never Outgunned (awesome name by the way) would just benefit from Power Duration how you think it would. Also, maybe Power Range would affect the maximum targeting distance of Luke's space western sidekicks? :P

Those are my proposals for working-in toggling, with some suggested changes to the abilities. I wanna hear what you think :P hopefully it's pretty agreeable.

In regards to having other warframes have toggled abilities, I suppose I would support that. I originally suggested toggled abilities just for the case of Luke, since I feel that it would help make him extra unique. But, I see no issue coming from implementation of toggling into other warframes' abilities, aside from which ones would or wouldn't be toggled. The way I see it, only self-affecting abilities would be toggled (so, offensive, enemy-affecting powers such as World on Fire or Undertow would not be toggled, while abilities like Turbulence or Speed would be toggled). I think that's fair and would make for easier implementation if need be. However, a point of debate would be Loki's Invisibility. Personally I don't like how, with proper modding, Loki can be permanently invisible (little bit OP) so maybe toggling would do him some good, especially since one of his helms gives power efficiency. However, I do think Power Duration should still somehow factor into his Invisibility. But to be honest I didn't want to talk big picture with toggling so much as I did with just toggling Luke's abilities XD as I said, uniqueness and such (which I don't think is outrageous because DE has been straying more and more from formulaic abilities, just think about Undertow and changing the physical state of the warframe).

Thanks for reading and hearing me out,

-FinnishHim

A good alternate ability would be something like loki's invisibility. Something along the lines of a 300% armor buff while buffing secondary weapon damage and crit rate.  maybe call it (Last Stand) or something.

I also have an idea for the name, what about "Kaiote" named after a Coyote, a typical western animal

Edited by Gunsuit

A good alternate ability would be something like loki's invisibility. Something along the lines of a 300% armor buff while buffing secondary weapon damage and crit rate.  maybe call it (Last Stand) or something.

I also have an idea for the name, what about "Kaiote" named after a Coyote, a typical western animal

I like the name! We don't yet have a K or a C name, it would be MOST welcome!

As for "Last Stand" how about name it "Alamo"?

I like the idea, but an armour buff would be inappropriate as I never planned for him to be an armour heavy tank type frame.

Also I think stealthing wouldn't quite fit his theme either.

But your "last stand" idea gave me a thought. What if he had a mild passive like zephyr does presently? Like if he kills x amount of enemies he can get himself up again when in a downed state? Or bonus gun damage when in downed state? Or is faster to revive?

I like the idea, but an armour buff would be inappropriate as I never planned for him to be an armour heavy tank type frame.

Also I think stealthing wouldn't quite fit his theme either.

But your "last stand" idea gave me a thought. What if he had a mild passive like zephyr does presently? Like if he kills x amount of enemies he can get himself up again when in a downed state? Or bonus gun damage when in downed state? Or is faster to revive?

The first one is... broken as hell. That's not a minor passive, that's an ability. The faster revive and bonus damage are much better, but I think the faster revive is just a LITTLE wonky - so I'd say downed state bonus damage would be fine.

The first one is... broken as hell. That's not a minor passive, that's an ability. The faster revive and bonus damage are much better, but I think the faster revive is just a LITTLE wonky - so I'd say downed state bonus damage would be fine.

I guess, I just kinda want one frame in the game that isnt a complete lemming when downed.

Ok, here's another option. Like a traditional western movie, Luke is always, down but not out". When downed, rather than being completely down and crawling on his back, when downed Luke takes a knee. Still has dying timer, but can shuffle faster and has slightly more movement than other frames in a downed state.

Could use an ultimate similar to Hysteria called Desperado when everything is red and he shoots faster and moves faster and has gunblades for melee.

Also raising the crit rate of the his warframe's pistols.

Jump height increased and the ability to shoot in midair while remaining in air able to turn. Also has a longer slide that is also faster(or this could be what his warfarme can do without Desperado, same with air shooting). He also sees targets in red through walls. And he is not invulnerable like Hysteria. As he kills, a meter fills up after absorbing red energy from corpses for the ultimate finisher which is big.

Also one of his powers can spawn a torrent allowing him or anyone else to use it and another power that tosses grenades making a big aoe.

Considering this is warfarme, he should at least have this power turning him into a "gunzerker". And he can go into full on melee with his gunblades and use channeling and maybe(yes maybe) press the reload key to shoot while auto aiming at torso.

And that is Desperado. it can perhaps have a 25% damage reduction. And crit/damage boost can be combined into one power and the boost get's bigger with more kills or crit/speed or damage/speed or all three depending on the boost.

can't have him pure utility like Trinity.People expect gun like attacks as well. Maybe for 5+ seconds he whips out his warframe's pistols and let out a barrage of shots whether stationary or mobile.

The crit/speed/damage buff is great, can add bullet speed buff too and the making him able to use enemy as bullet sponge live or corpse while firing his warframe pistol.

Can look at other games for inspiration.

And if needed, Desperado's buffs won't stack with his buffs from his powers.

Another possibility is summoning 3-5 tenno and have them follow you and shoot everything then press the power key again to have them go crazy with higher fire rate and vanishing.

They are only around short duration and not very long. Short enough to not be an Ultimate skill.

• 4 weeks later...

Another possibility is summoning 3-5 tenno and have them follow you and shoot everything then press the power key again to have them go crazy with higher fire rate and vanishing.

They are only around short duration and not very long. Short enough to not be an Ultimate skill.

perhaps that could be incorporated into the ult?

• 2 weeks later...