The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Cosmetic Helmets, Why De?

Eternity07

You're like the 1% of the community who thinks this is a bad idea...stop arguing about something that's smart for them to do.

Very smart idea:

But without stats im not even going to care to go out of the way for an alarm since the mats could be used for something that is actually is some way.

If you never see good helmet in use (such as Vanguard) - don't speak about "community".

Does this mean we are also getting cosmetics to change how the Warframes look? I love Volt but goddamn, could you have made him any more horrifyingly ugly? It's like his suit is comprised of all the parts that no one else wanted.

Edited by Volthorne

Why not?

Player A: Man I like the new Nekros helmet, too bad the stats on it suck.

Player B: I like the new Nekros helmet too but I don't mind the stats so I'll use it.

Player C: I love the stats on the Nekros helmet, but I wish the helmet wasn't so ugly.

If you remove the stats from the Nekros helmet player A can wear it for the looks and be happy. Player B will be happy and will stay equal in power to other players. Player C will be happy because he can choose to not wear the helmet and will not be losing or gaining anything from it.

See why removing stats is a good idea now?

You forgot about Player D, who enjoys both the looks and the stats of his helmet. Is removing stats going to be nice and dandy for him? No, it isn't.

What the game needs is for Helmets and their respective stats to be selectable separately, i.e. you want to use a Pendragon helm's stats with the Avalon's look, or the Essence's stats with the Default Loki's look. Or maybe you didn't obtain Vanguard yet, so you want to use the Default Rhino's stats with Thrak's looks.

Each helmet blueprint will yield both the Helmet itself and the helmet's stats (possibly called "Systems"; i.e. Thrak Systems, Default Vauban Systems, etc.) upon purchase or crafting (except for the Default Systems, which are obtained from obtaining the Warframe itself, just like the Default helmets), so obtaining helmets and their respective stats will be the same as before. The Helmets and Systems can be selected independently of each other, provided that you have them.

With this system, much more freedom is given and players can adapt their Frames to both the appearance and playstyle they want without looking back. It will also encourage players to buy helmets for Platinum, since the potential drawbacks to using either the helmet or its stats are entirely optional.

I'm not the one who came up with this idea, but the original thread (which, IIRC, received a crapton of approval from most of those who saw it) has been buried with time, so I can't post the link. But that's the gist of it. If anyone thinks that there's something wrong with this system, I'd love to hear it.

Edited by SortaRandom

Its been said in numerous threads.

All they have to do is make the helmets another piece of equipment that will accept mods.

You get teh exact look you want, and the exact stats you want.

And they could keep the idea of "corrupted" mods for helmets so there would be tradeoffs.

Just making them cosmetic here out is a lazy choice IMO.

perhaps in the near future they can add helm with upgrades? O.o

IMO it's probably for the best, that players can choose which helm they want, and then they can get mats, or maybe research a blueprint to make an upgrade for the helmet itself.

So instead of nerfing/deleting the helmet's ability, we choose what ability/mods we want to use in that helmet.  About the stats add/reduction, we can do it in the mod/upgrade the helm, without affecting the cosmetic appearance.

Thus, we can still be 'YAY LOOKS' while 'YAY UTILITIEZZZ'

well, it's just my opinion :)

Why not?

Player A: Man I like the new Nekros helmet, too bad the stats on it suck.

Player B: I like the new Nekros helmet too but I don't mind the stats so I'll use it.

Player C: I love the stats on the Nekros helmet, but I wish the helmet wasn't so ugly.

If you remove the stats from the Nekros helmet player A can wear it for the looks and be happy. Player B will be happy and will stay equal in power to other players. Player C will be happy because he can choose to not wear the helmet and will not be losing or gaining anything from it.

See why removing stats is a good idea now?

Why not let all helmets be purely cosmetic. BUT give us a "helmet slot" in the arsenal where we can choose our preferred bonus stat? You could implement this pretty simply with the mod system already in place!

We wouldn't get anymore powerful, you just get to choose the stat trade off.

Pros:

1. More personalisation of frames appearance (can use nice helms with jo worries about completely terrible stat reduction)

2. More personalisation of frame loadout.

3. You might see a rhino without the vanguard helmet.

4. Can add helmet stats to drop pool. Good for DE as counts as content.

5. Very easy to add new stats by adding new mods.

6. Helmets would still be "statless" by definition.

Cons

1. New players wouldn't get old helmet benefits.

2. New arsenal helmet screen could make arsenal cluttered.

3. Complaints of "too powerful", which would be completely unfounded.

4. Helmet mod cards could dilute the drop tables further.

The problem, I originally saw with the removal of stats was the price not changing at all. I bought Vanguard with Plat b/c I like the stats attached to what I was buying at the time. With the Nekros helmet it put me off immediately b/c the price in plat wasn't different at all, seventy-five plat for a cosmetic item seems a little off. Here is a question, are you going to wait for a helmet to show up in an alert or buy it in the store with plat, also is it worth with the stats or no stats at all. Its all about the compensation you are getting back from the store.

Edited by Eternity07

I agree with this change. The bonuses were usually useless for the most part and the negatives too much. 

I however wouldn't mind a option to have a set of bonuses linked to negatives then I swap whenever I want with certain helmets. That would be awesome. Like what others have already said.

Edited by Kami3k

The helmets should probably just not have the stat alterations on them altogether considering the main purpose is appearance for wearing them. Something less conspicuous to equip and achieve the same stat effects would probably be more palatable.

I think it is silly to start implementing cosmetic helmets when the first 14 warframes have at least 1 beneficial helmet. All the new warframes from now on will have a disadvantage compared to the old frames since they don't have any stat boosting helmets. They should either get rid of the stat boosts on all helmets or keep on giving helmet stat boosts but not make the stats crappy.

Having no stats limits build diversity. You could have one Nekros helmet which would push him in the direction of a Shadows of the dead build (duration) and another which is useful for Desecrate spamming (power efficiency, range, etc).

But instead you have nothing.

They should just take the helmets with lousy stats as considered by the community and perhaps voted upon by the DC, and reverse them. If they weren't worth it before, they would be after being reversed.

They also need to separate the looks from the stat tradeoffs. There's no reason not to. It's just best for everyone.

I was wondering if DE could just do what some other games do and make the alt helmets give purely beneficial stats. The stats would be pretty insignificant like say +5% shields or no stamina for jumps kind of thing. Thus, the people that do equip those alt helmets do get an edge but it's really small so the people who think certain helmets look ugly won't be missing out on much if they don't have them. Also, since there are multiple helmets (2 as of now and more to come in the future), it wouldn't be hard to appeal to everyone and anyone that has access to an alt helmet would benefit in some sort of way.

Edited by Kiwilicious