Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe: The Lost Sector (Currently In Development)

PenutReaper

Don't get your hopes up, folks. The game will likely never be more than a really short demo. You'll find better games made in Flash over night.

I'm not trying to crap on PenutReaper or anyone trying to put in work (I'm actually signed up to contribute if there was any engine to work with), but I've seen it a million times before to know how this will go. It's a passion project that will never really be more than passion. There will be little chance of a game to play, and what there is will be neat, for about 30 seconds.

I didn't want to say anything early on, because Penut was excited and dug right in. After a short time, he posted the first framework of the game: a sprite sliding around the screen. And then what? Not much, really. It's just about time and skill level. If anyone here thinks they'll get anything even remotely playable in a couple years, you'll likely be disappointed. Some folks can prototype a map with running, shooting, weapon pick ups, and a couple enemies in one night. Those are the games that actually get made. Some folks take much longer. We're in the latter, here. Penut's experience with the game will be great, but he's still in school and it's obvious he's at the start of the learning curve (seriously, I was doing small games and speed game development for 15 years now and I know people's skill levels by the products they put out and the pace of this game projects out another 30 years). Take this as a learning experience, Penut, but don't lead people on. People who get things done, actually get things done. Everyone else learns from it.

But I'm not putting down Penut or his efforts. He'll do what he can, when he wants. But he has a life. Whatever he gets out of it will be good moving forward. I just don't want people to feel like they are waiting for something that will likely never come. I just get updates to this thread, and every few weeks someone posts, so I get an update, and it's often someone asking if the game is still going, or just showing their excitement because they just dug up the thread from the last post a month or two ago. You should be able to guess from that where this project is headed. See what happens after those "couple of exams." 

So don't expect anything from it, and if/when something playable is finally posted, you can enjoy it. :) And if you're working on this game and want to prove me wrong, I hope you do.

-Snip-

So you think passion projects cannot work? I have several examples that would prove you wrong.

Penut simply has other things on his mind. Things that should be dealt with before he continues work on TLS.

there is barely any movement with the game there is no way they would add concept frames into the game if they don't even have any kind of solid game yet

Woops, you're right, they should only make this as "bonuses", but finishing this promising old-school game first is what unite us here... :p

Edited by unknow99

• 2 weeks later...

I have something important to let you all know. I am no longer going to be working on this project. This does not mean that there will be no Lost Sector, just that I will no longer be involved in it's development, or any development. I am taking an indefinite break from game development. My heart is no longer in it any more. I tried to force myself to complete this, but after studying game development last year, I fell out of love with it.

I'm sorry.

I have seen the work that Anoncat and his brother have completed for other projects and I have complete faith that they can make this project more successful than I ever could. Not only that, I have seen the wonderful art, in a wide range of forms that this community has created, I have no doubt they will find someone more suited to the role than I was.

Again, I apologise. The last thing I wanted was to get your hopes up just to disappoint you all.

Lastly, I wish Anoncat and Co the best of luck with this project in future.

I will be pick up the dev work in due time. Currently doing a lot of studio-side and personal work that should be cleared by the end of the year. Using the Unity engine, Lost Sector should only take about a month to complete, polish, and end up in your hands.

It's just a matter of clearing my own schedule. I'll create a shiny, new LS thread when we begin work, so keep an eye out for it around December.

Good hunting Tenno. AnonCat out. =3

So you think passion projects cannot work? I have several examples that would prove you wrong.

Penut simply has other things on his mind. Things that should be dealt with before he continues work on TLS.

Even though Penut has now resigned, I'm responding to this.

My point was not that fan made projects can't succeed. You can't prove me wrong because it wasn't my point. Passion projects do succeed, and do get put out in a timely manner.

My post was a warning that based on the events preceding my post, I was cautioning people not to get their hopes up. It was very specific to this thread and the manner of posts I saw. I have been a part of passion projects, both successful and failed. I've seen enough in both project updates and actual real world game development to know when a project is having problems it can't recover from. This was one of them.

With that said, if AnonCat and others (including myself) contribute more time to the project, and we see relatively consistent updates, TLS could still be made successfully to some degree. But if you're asking me based on past events, no.

What we can achieve is based on what we do moving forward, but what we expect is based on what has been done in the past.

~ Quote from me, in this post.

Good luck to all involved.

i just read this as someone in my sprite thread notified me about this little project, and i was wondering if you needed any sprite models..?

I would like nothing more than your help ropefish, all community aid is invaluable! If you truly would like to do some sprites, shoot me a pm!

Much love, AnonCat =3

With that said, if AnonCat and others (including myself) contribute more time to the project, and we see relatively consistent updates, TLS could still be made successfully to some degree. But if you're asking me based on past events, no.

What we can achieve is based on what we do moving forward, but what we expect is based on what has been done in the past.

~ Quote from me, in this post.

Good luck to all involved.

Well said mate, if actual dev time is put towards LS it will succeed. If nothing is invested moving onwards, nothing will come to fruition.

Well, so do I. ^_^

Also, If you want any of the songs in the videos I posted, they are on my soundcloud page, you can help yourself, all I ask is that I get credit if you use 'em.

I'll find the image of the logo from the front page and put it on my google drive for you if you want me to, just ask. I have it in a couple of sizes, IIRC. WingedSwine gets the credit for the logo.

I think you guys have everything else.

• 3 weeks later...

Yea, same:

Got really excited as I stumbled on this topic, then reading your no longer working on the project. Good luck to any future projects.

Thanks. Like I said previously I am taking an indefinite break from video game production. I do have a new project in mind, but it's not going to be released under the pseudonym 'PenutReaper'.

I remeber DERebecca saying she wanted this to become a thing when they showed fanart on a primetime episode so i doubt they will ask you to stop/copyright strike you. I really wish to become a programmer and help with the game but i have no experiance with it yet. Best of luck to the team working on it now. I look forward to playing this if/when it becomes a thing. :D

This project has approval from DE.

My advice to becoming a programmer would be to download an IDE and just start with it. I found that I could teach me better than any class or tutorial, with a little help from documentation and deconstructing other peoples code.

• 2 weeks later...

Sweet! Thanks~ =3

You're welcome. I'm not planning on full dedication to the team, but I might just drop by and give this project a few things when I'm bored.

Also, here's an extra little thing.

TYYkA1i.gif

Edited by Arceus255

Me and my brother are very much looking to finish this. I just landed a new job, allowing me to work from home and dedicate more time to side projects. Currently waiting on Typhuus to send sprite sheets. These are already done, but Typhuus is incredibly hard to get a hold of!

Me and my brother are very much looking to finish this. I just landed a new job, allowing me to work from home and dedicate more time to side projects. Currently waiting on Typhuus to send sprite sheets. These are already done, but Typhuus is incredibly hard to get a hold of!

Typhuus?