Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Spider Warframe Ideas

(PSN)shigaraja

alright so i have had this idea in my head for the past few months. and as i have been playing around with Ivara prime and having a lot of fun with the zipwires. i kept on pushing the idea of a Warframe that could do something similar and the theme that kept coming back to me was Spiders. So here i am working out this concept and i figured i would just share some of the ideas here as well as my over all feel for how the frame should play as well as get some other ideas and/or feedback.

Over all Game Play:

so the more i think about spiders and ways to work with this, i feel like a frame like this would work as a bit of a setup frame. the idea i have is that either her passive or abilities cast spread a webbing around on surfaces that slow enemies and buff her movement. so the point would be that she would be at her strongest by taking control of a particular area. thats not to say that she should be weak while being in an open world or anything she would still have a lot of CC for stuff like that as well. the other idea that im trying to work in is this idea of "descending from above". i like to play around on Ivara's zipwires much the same way i would imagine this frame would dance on spider webs up high. 

Ability Ideas (thus far)

Passive:
idea 1: my thought process here is that on webbing She gets a speed buff and Enemies are slowed. she could spread webbing with all of her ability casts. < simple enough
idea 2: her passive could be "spider climb" and she has the ability to permanently wall latch. and the Webbing would just be innate to abilities and not to the passive <(i dont like this one as much as it feels like its encroaching on Loki's stuff but it does fill the "descending from above" feeling that i like)

Ability 1:
so i keep liking the idea of a rotating ability in this slot mostly to just avoid redundancy later. i feel like this should be the main method of spreading webbing and the different rotations would act as different projectiles with different AoEs. first rotation would be a mid-long range strait shot spreading webbing and "cocooning" enemies along the path. second rotation could be a short range wide angle spread to knock back enemies and cover some decent area with the webbing. and for a third rotation it could be a lob of webbing like an artillery shot that explodes into a decently sized circle radius on point of impact.  each of these ( and maybe one more if i can think of one) would be good at spamming to get as much web out as possible but still having their own effects to give it some versatility. < damage numbers and the like would obviously need to be worked on but as im not exactly a master of the damage algorithm im not going to put any insane numbers in here.

Ability 2: 
yeah i gotta say im a bit stumped here at the time of posting this. part of the reason for asking for suggestions. i will update this if i get hit with sudden inspiration/some one post an idea that is universally loved. 

Ability 3: Spiderling Sac
she can put down an egg sack that will spit out 4(number subject to change) small spiders every few seconds. the small spiders in my mind should work exactly like Maggots and i think it would be cool if they where flagged that way so that Nidus or other effects that already work on maggots could also just work with the spiderlings. 

Ability 4: Spider Den
the idea here is that this is the quick control the situation and environment ability. 
i imagine this working out kinda like Nidus's 4th. but instead of healing it is a large spread of her web in the area around her that is affected by range as well as putting up zipline webbing for her to take up. enemies in the immediate AoE are cocooned and as per webbing enemies the step into the AoE after the cast will have their speed reduced. 

Final notes:
Obviously this is just a rough draft and i am very much looking forward to any other ideas here. i would love it if people loved this concept as much as i do and i would hope to see this make its way to DE(probably not). but if this get any traction i am looking forward to discussing and making a frame with this concept that i hope everyone would enjoy to play. also i am not an artist by any means so if this gets your creative juice's going i would love to see what ideas for a frame like this could look like. 

On 2021-08-12 at 4:01 PM, (PSN)shigaraja said:

Passive:
idea 1: my thought process here is that on webbing She gets a speed buff and Enemies are slowed. she could spread webbing with all of her ability casts. < simple enough
idea 2: her passive could be "spider climb" and she has the ability to permanently wall latch. and the Webbing would just be innate to abilities and not to the passive <(i dont like this one as much as it feels like its encroaching on Loki's stuff but it does fill the "descending from above" 

Sounds like a pretty good frame aside from all the arachnophobes out there. Personally I would want the passive not to be a conditional buff, and instead a spider based movement style. Think of the spiderman games and how you could stealthily crawl on ceilings and walls. Something that could also tie into this movement style is an ability that helps either take out enemies or incapacitate with web. Just imagine how good it'd feel decending from the roof and snatching enemies away from there squad without a trace

Alright, the return of my Therid ideas, for a new generation of players... ^^

So, this one got discussed a lot, before DE put the big old annoying 'we don't really want to create custom skeletons for new frames' thing as the reason they didn't go for a quadruped frame or similar. But the abilities discussed back then did actually make a lot of sense and could work today.

So the concept is that Therid is an off-stealth frame with self-scaling damage. As a note, rather than pigeon-holing her into a stationary hunter, Therid is based off many of the more active-predator spiders, such as the Wolf Spider, where they can quickly run down prey to attack it and snare it. As a Warframe she buys into the 'Ability Weapon' category with a 4th ability that gives her a semi-auto Rifle, and similar buffs to the way Gauss gains features on his abilities. Even without transforming into a spider mode, I think it would work because the thing it allows for is to progress on vertical surfaces (any that can be wall-climbed) at full speed and treats even ceilings as a floor as long as she doesn't jump away from them.

Here's the run-down of her kit:

Spoiler

Passive: Inverted Predator. While Therid is on a surface other than the floor (allows for wall clings and wall running to affect this too) she gains immunity to knock down and all Status types have reduced effects against her.

1. Poison Web. Therid shoots poison coated webs in a cone of effect in front of her that inflicts a slow and reasonably damaging toxin effects on enemies, this does not alert un-aware enemies. (Note, when I say 'reasonably damaging' I mean the unmodded ability can kill Grineer units up to around level 10, and Corpus units up to level 15 or so due to shield bypass, and with a bit of Strength can double that, but the damage isn't the key part of the ability. More on this later.)

2. Snare. Casts a bundle of web on the location you aim at which can entrap up to two enemies that come in range (see Khora's 4 or Hydroid's puddle for similar grab effects). Enemies are not alerted by this and enemies in Snare are not perceived by allies. Up to five Snares can be cast, and if Snares are within range of each other, they join with a web string and can hold additional enemies (so 2 per Snare, and 1 extra for combining, meaning a total of fourteen enemies can be held). If Snares join together, 50% of the casting cost is returned. Enemies killed while in Snares are dissolved so body parts cannot alert enemies. If an enemy dies in a Snare before the Duration is finished, a new enemy will be captured if one is in range.

3. Camouflage. Therid weaves a camouflage screen in front of herself that prevents detection from enemies, although it does not reduce the noise of gunfire. Enemies that pass through the camouflage screen are momentarily unaware and will not detect Therid for 1.5 Seconds. 

4. Hunt. Therid enters her hunter spider mode, able to stick to walls and even ceilings with ease (note, controls can be simplified to allow players to either rotate the camera with Therid, or leave the camera stationary and her movements are based on camera position, the idea is that if she runs at a wall, instead of running into it, she runs up it as if it were just a change in direction, the same for the ceiling). In this mode Therid draws her custom silenced Fang rifle, and improves her other abilities. While active, Therid has additional movement speed, and has no movement penalty for aiming down sights. 

Ability buffs: Poison Web has increased range, damage and a more effective Slow. Snares have increased range, and if they capture an enemy affected by Poison Web, status effects on them are refreshed and doubled. Camouflage is extended to a full dome around Therid, protecting her from left, right, above and below, but she can still be detected by enemies if they are behind her.

Synergy: Enemies affected by Poison Web take multiplied damage with guaranteed Toxin procs per hit, shooting enemies with her Fang rifle grants a higher damage multiplier.

Synergy: Shooting enemies in Snare with the Fang rifle strips defenses (meaning shields and armour) by a percentage per shot, affected by Strength.

Synergy: Enemies that pass through Camouflage's shield are stunned for a longer duration.

Now...

You see how this would work as a frame, because the abilities are classically simple, but combine into something that can be frighteningly effective.

The idea would be that, with 3 and 4 active, you are faster, unseen, able to sprint on any surface and have your abilities at maximum effectiveness. You would Poison Web a group of enemies, spam a bunch of Snares into the group and start shooting the Snared enemies. This would quickly strip their defenses, while dealing multiplied damage to them, and keep snaring more enemies as the ones you shoot die.

However, because we have quick-melee, Therid can also be used as a Melee frame even with Hunt active. Poison Web for a great CC Slow and an initial Toxin primer, her Camouflage shield acting as a quick stun function while enemies cannot see her from the front, and because Hunt's bonus for Toxic Web is not limited to her Ability Rifle, hunt also boosts her Melee damage with that too. You can even combine that with Snare so that you can melee enemies as they're pulled into it, killing them as they come.

And even then... you can still play her as a more camping style of frame, more of the passive spider style, by setting up in a location, cloaked with Camouflage, Snaring enemies as they come to you, and picking them off with the Fang rifle.

She could be a real Corpus killer as long as you can pop Nullifier bubbles quickly, and with her Defense strip on Snared enemies she has indirect scaling on everything else.

What do you think?

Sounds good, but an interesting idea for a power would also be a point to point style Web that you could activate, run to a point, reactivate and it creates a line of Web that enemies get stuck on. I don't know if this would be one line, or if you could maximise efficiency to be able to place many connected lines, but I feel like an ability like this would tie in well and provide a new type of defense power, instead of the bubble type defense powers every other frame seems to have.

9 hours ago, Birdframe_Prime said:

4. Hunt. Therid enters her hunter spider mode, able to stick to walls and even ceilings with ease (note, controls can be simplified to allow players to either rotate the camera with Therid, or leave the camera stationary and her movements are based on camera position, the idea is that if she runs at a wall, instead of running into it, she runs up it as if it were just a change in direction, the same for the ceiling). In this mode Therid draws her custom silenced Fang rifle, and improves her other abilities. While active, Therid has additional movement speed, and has no movement penalty for aiming down sights

Sounds pretty good

Archived