Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

My own dumb Loki Rework idea. (Updated 10/14/2021)

ENIAK_Prime

~PREFACE~
I was one of the maybe handful of players who had the (mis?)fortune of starting the game during a time when Loki was one of the starter choices (instead of Volt), and I selected him because I liked the idea of being a Trickster God on the battlefield and actually confusing and toying with my enemies. Loki, however, does not really live up to his trickster-god namesake. He is just kind of mostly an invisible jerk who steals people's guns. There is nothing particularly tricky about that.

So keep in mind as you read this that I am not suggesting these changes under some misguided notion that Loki is not a good, functional Warframe. No. These changes are being suggested because Loki is not FUN. And he COULD be. He could be a LOT more fun. And he could certainly be more of a trickster.

NEW PASSIVE - When enemies are alerted to his presence, Loki's ROLL (which is now a sliding, cool, spinny dash maneuver like Limbo's), will leave a DECOY where he was standing before.
- The Decoy casts a "Distracted" debuff on enemies that attack it. Distracted enemies ignore all other targets in favor of the distraction. Take advantage of this!
- - - There is a cap to how many enemies can be distracted by the decoy at a time. Keep killing distracted enemies to get more enemies distracted!
- - - Distracted enemies are also open to Finishers at all times, both front and back, and not just by Loki but by his allies, too!
- - - While there is a "distraction cap", Decoy will still generally pull aggro from other enemies as well, as long as Loki is not closer to them!
- The Decoy has HP and when "killed" will enter a 7-second "bleedout" state where it will continue to distract enemy targets until it "dies".
- - - Loki can kill his own Decoy with any attack from a non-melee weapon, making it vanish instantly rather than entering a bleedout state.
- - - Since there can only be one Decoy on the field at a time, use this to set up a new Decoy placement.
- If the Decoy "dies" and enemies no longer have sight of Loki, their alert state will go down to "on guard" (triangle with smaller triangle inside it on the minimap) unless Alarms are active.

(REASONING: Originally, my idea was for his passive to simply be energy regen and a resistance to ability blockers/energy drainers, because more than anyone else in the game, it feels like Loki relies heavily on his abilities to avoid damage and stay alive, so a Loki with no energy is essentially a dead Loki. But what if, like some other frames, he simply had abilities built into his passive? Then it wouldn't matter if he ran out of energy because he could still rely on the important things that keep him doing what he does. So now, his Decoy is baked into his passive so that even when he's completely out of energy, he can throw down a Decoy and run away while it takes the heat for him!)

NEW 1: SCRAMBLE - Loki deploys a jamming signal in an AOE at any location marked by the targeting reticle. This jamming signal casts a temporary "Scramble" debuff on enemy targets, making them take 400% damage from the next attack that hits them. It also makes them unable to see Loki or his allies for as long as it lasts.
- - - The "Scramble" debuff also applies to Corpus Security Cameras and Grineer Sensor Regulators, preventing them from detecting any Tenno or allies in their line of sight.
- - - (This could be signaled by their visual line of sight actually disappearing while the Scramble debuff is active.)
- Interactive Consoles within the Scramble Zone will be hacked successfully! (but not Objectives like Spy Vaults and Mobile Defense target consoles).
- - - Downed Bursas and hackable MOA pods will count as viable interactive consoles to be Scramble'd.
- A Decoy within the Scramble zone will become a special "Scrambled Decoy" with the ability to "revive" ONCE after it's "bleedout" timer expires.
- - - This acts just like the player's revive, knocking down nearby enemies and offering brief invincibility.
- - - After "reviving", Scrambled Decoys become normal Decoys and can't revive again (unless SCRAMBLED again).
- - - Scrambled Decoys still count toward the Decoy Limit of 1, but can still be insta-killed by Loki (just in case the player changes their mind).
- This will be the new ability offered by the HELMINTH when a Loki is subsumed.
- Power Duration will affect how long the Scramble debuff lasts on enemy targets.
- Power Range will affect the AOE of the Scramble Zone as well as how far away you can cast it from.
- Power Strength will affect the damage bonus on Scrambled targets.

NEW AUGMENT IDEA: SYSTEM SCRAMBLE - Scramble's energy cost is refunded if there were no enemies in the Scramble Zone (downed Bursas, Grineer Sensor Regulators and Corpus Security Cameras will not count as "enemies" for this).

(REASONING: With Loki's Decoy rolled into his passive, he needed a new 1, and I think Scramble is a great way to have players interact with enemies and the environment. Scramble has a number of uses and interacts with not only Decoy, but his new Switch Teleport, adding synergy to his kit!)

NEW 2: MASQUERADE - Loki gains a hazy aura that causes enemies to see him as one of their own! (To the player and allies, he will just look like Loki with foggy energy around him).
- Loki cannot use Masquerade if enemies are currently focusing aggro on him (pop a Decoy!).
- Loki cannot create Decoys while Masquerading (but he can still use his other abilities).
- Masquerade will vanish when performing high-speed or complex maneuvers such as slides, bullet-jumps and wall-hops. Be mindful how you move!
- If multiple factions are available in the same mission (ie, Crossfire Missions or Operation Plague Star), Loki will default to Masquerading as the faction of the nearest enemy.
- - - "Hunter" units like Zanuka Hunter, Stalker, and the Grustrag Three do not count for this selection bias.
- - - The color of the haze around Loki will change depending on the faction he is masquerading as: Red for Grineer, Blue for Corpus, etc...
- Loki will be ignored by enemies of the same faction he is Masquerading as (but not by enemies of other factions).
- - - Loki's Masquerade will instantly vanish if an enemy from that faction witnesses him attacking another of their own! But not if an enemy from another faction attacks him.
- - - This means that during missions like Crossfires, if Loki is disguised as a Corpus Crewman, his disguise will NOT break if he is fired upon by enemy Grineer.
- Masquerade will NOT break due to environmental damage (except Arc Traps, but they will ignore him while he is disguised).
- While Masquerading, he can slip by security cameras and arc traps, but will still be affected by laser barriers (which will break Masquerade).
- Masquerade allows Loki to perform both frontal AND back finishers on enemies, just be wary that you aren't seen by anyone else!
- If Loki is killed during Masquerade, he will reserve 1hp and become invisible for 3 seconds.
- Power Duration will affect how long the Masquerade will last, naturally.
- This ability is unaffected by Power Range or Power Strength modifiers.

NEW AUGMENT IDEA: MASQUE-RAID - Enemies killed by Loki while Masquerade is active drop additional loot and have a greater chance of dropping rarer loot.

(REASONING: I just figured Invis could be a lot more fun and a lot more sneaky. Let Ash be the guy who gets to wildly hack-and-slash while invisible. Loki is more... subtle.)

BUFFED 3: SWITCH TELEPORT - Same as old Switch Teleport, but also casts a "Scapegoat" debuff on any enemy you switch with, which makes other enemies think they are Loki!
- - - Scapegoats, like Decoys, DISTRACT enemies nearby and have their own distraction cap, but do not count as Decoys for the Decoy cap.
- - - If the Scapegoat is killed before the debuff wears off, enemies will drop their alert state to "on guard" (unless Alarms are active).
- - - Cast Scramble on the Scapegoat to turn them into a bomb that takes 400% more damage from all attacks and deals 200% of their max HP as damage in a radial burst upon death (but only if killed before Scapegoat wears off).
- If Switch Teleport is used on an ally, they will gain a "Surprise" buff that increases all weapon damage by 400% for 3 seconds.
- If Switch Teleport is used on a Decoy, the energy cost is refunded.
- Power Duration will affect how long the Scapegoat and Surprise effects last.
- Power Range will affect how far away you can cast it from.
- Power Strength will affect the damage bonus on surprise and the detonation damage on killed Scapegoats when scrambled.

(REASONING: Switch Teleport was always the most disappointing ability for me, because it was the one I was the most hyped about. I remember watching the trailer with Lech Kril where the Loki player swapped in a Lancer when he was about to be struck by Lech's hammer, and the Lancer being killed in his stead. That's a great idea, I thought. Too bad it doesn't work like that in the game. And it's ESPECIALLY disappointing because all it would have taken to make this happen was to add a radiation proc and I am baffled as to why that wasn't done. At first, my idea was to simply do that and call it a day, but now I have this instead which I think is several times more interesting.)

NEW 4: TRICKSTER - Loki's namesake. A channeled ability that creates a "Trickster Zone" around Loki with a radius of 6/9/12/15m until cancelled or his energy runs out. During this time, special "Trickster Decoys" will constantly and randomly spawn near enemies within this radius to pull aggro!
- - - Trickster Decoys do not enter "bleedout", and just vanish instantly when "killed".
- - - Trickster Decoys have their own cap of 2/4/6/8 and constantly spawns new decoys to fill this cap when old ones die.
- - - Trickster Decoys do NOT cast Distraction on enemies. Instead, all enemies within the radius are considered distracted, regardless of whether or not there is a Decoy nearby.
- The ability button can be held down to "set" the Trickster Zone in a specific location instead of staying around Loki (so that Loki can run away from the Zone and cancel it to manipulate enemy alert states!).
- While Trickster is active, Scramble and Switch Teleport cost no energy to use.
- If Loki is killed while Trickster is active, he will reserve 1hp and become invisible for 7 seconds (however, Trickster will deactivate), and enemies will drop their alert state to "on guard" (unless Alarms are active).
- This will be the ability that can be cast as remote support during RailJack missions.
- Power Duration will affect how long Trickster lasts, naturally.
- Power Range will affect the size of Trickster's effect radius.
- Power Strength has no effect on Trickster.

NEW AUGMENT: TRICKSTER GOD - Damage done to Loki is filtered out to existing Decoys, while Loki only takes 25/15/5% of any damage done to him.

(REASONING: I never personally liked Radial Disarm that much. It felt out of place and it didn't fit his """theme""" of being a trickster at all, in my opinion. I was never going to make a Loki Rework where I keep Radial Disarm. Originally the idea was to make Invis his new 4, but that was when his passive was still the energy regen. Once I baked invis and decoy into his passive I obviously had to think of a new 4 and I think this one turned out amazing.)

~UPDATE LOG~
EDIT (09/09/2021): Thanks to user Kainosh for some good suggestions! Including the easily-abusable invisibility duration on Roll, which has now been fixed.
EDIT (09/12/2021): Some really good suggestions for Loki to masquerade as the enemy instead of just going invisible differently!
EDIT (09/22/2021): Added optional "Vampiric Masquerade" augment. Modified how Decoys operate, adding health back in, but also giving them a "bleedout" timer and "revive" functions (see Passive and SCRAMBLE ability for more details).
EDIT (09/22/2021): Some additional notes about what happens when using Masquerade in missions where multiple hostile factions are present (ie, Crossfires, or Operation Plague Star).
EDIT (09/25/2021): Big Trickster update plus some other "Distraction" based notes, such as Scapegoats also casting Distraction debuff and how Obscurity actually works.
EDIT (10/14/2021): BIG update. Removed a bunch of redundancy such as the Obscurity effect (since it's just an aggro modifier, which Decoys already do), streamlined explanations so there is slightly less text. as well as various modifications to all existing abilities and explanations as to how Range, Duration and Strength mods affect them.

If you liked this, you may also like my Dumb Frost Rework Idea, too: 

1 hour ago, ENIAK_Prime said:

INVIS SWAP - Invisibility is now Loki's 4

I think that Invisibility must be a passive.   Activates after all abilities, and lasts for duration (duration is affected by duration mods)

Think about it.   Decoy placed, you go invisible. Switched? You go invisible and enemies attack "scapegoat"....   Allows you to keep Radial Disarm.

Scramble is kinda pointless tbh.   Loki already has invis and can avoid detection and cameras easily.  Ranged hacking.....nah. Not worth it.

Instead, his 4ht must be a Ranged finisher (Loki himself stays where he is).   Loki throws/teleports a dagger that hits vitals of distracted/unaware enemies.   Can be VERY useful in many situations.

11 hours ago, (PSN)Reaper330011 said:

So, the 3 is a imposter ability? I like it, but the amount of invisibility and enemies “Scapegoated” should increase if the ability ranks up.

I mean, if you're trying to convince others that someone else is you it probably works better if you don't just suddenly spawn a whole bunch of you's, but I get what you're saying.

Maybe instead of scapegoating a bunch of enemies at once, the scapegoated enemy becomes a bomb if killed while under the debuff that deals damage to others nearby. The debuff could make them take more damage so that it's more likely they'll die to enemy gunfire (AND/OR we could allow the detonation to be triggered by anything killing the Scapegoated enemy, including the Loki player himself).

10 hours ago, Kainosh said:

I think that Invisibility must be a passive.   Activates after all abilities, and lasts for duration (duration is affected by duration mods)

Think about it.   Decoy placed, you go invisible. Switched? You go invisible and enemies attack "scapegoat"....   Allows you to keep Radial Disarm.

Scramble is kinda pointless tbh.   Loki already has invis and can avoid detection and cameras easily.  Ranged hacking.....nah. Not worth it.

Instead, his 4ht must be a Ranged finisher (Loki himself stays where he is).   Loki throws/teleports a dagger that hits vitals of distracted/unaware enemies.   Can be VERY useful in many situations.

Honestly I was expecting more people to be appalled at the idea of ditching Radial Disarm since it's universally considered to be one of his only two good moves (if not THE best one).

I can see what you mean about Scramble being "pointless", especially if you don't care much for things like chaining stealth kills, but I'm still rather fond of it so I'd rather buff it and see what you think about that.

I like your idea for invis to be just baked into his passive, though, but I think I have a much better idea for his 4...

12 hours ago, ENIAK_Prime said:

This jamming signal casts a "Scramble" debuff on enemy targets, lowering their alert level and making them take 400% damage from the next attack that hits them.

Or you can just infuse Baruuk's Lull to reset alert if you really want it.   It works just fine.

I dont really care about Radial disarm....but what it does is unique to Loki.  No other frame can turn Grineer into Infested.

15 minutes ago, Kainosh said:

Or you can just infuse Baruuk's Lull to reset alert if you really want it.   It works just fine.

I dont really care about Radial disarm....but what it does is unique to Loki.  No other frame can turn Grineer into Infested.

Agree to disagree.

6 hours ago, ENIAK_Prime said:

I mean, if you're trying to convince others that someone else is you it probably works better if you don't just suddenly spawn a whole bunch of you's, but I get what you're saying.

Maybe instead of scapegoating a bunch of enemies at once, the scapegoated enemy becomes a bomb if killed while under the debuff that deals damage to others nearby. The debuff could make them take more damage so that it's more likely they'll die to enemy gunfire (AND/OR we could allow the detonation to be triggered by anything killing the Scapegoated enemy, including the Loki player himself).

Honestly I was expecting more people to be appalled at the idea of ditching Radial Disarm since it's universally considered to be one of his only two good moves (if not THE best one).

I can see what you mean about Scramble being "pointless", especially if you don't care much for things like chaining stealth kills, but I'm still rather fond of it so I'd rather buff it and see what you think about that.

I like your idea for invis to be just baked into his passive, though, but I think I have a much better idea for his 4...

Why have this when u have nix or radiation damage? If you can scapegoat multiple enemies it’ll be more useful or just take a weak radiation secondary with a lot of status mods

On 2021-09-06 at 10:03 AM, ENIAK_Prime said:

NEW 2: CAMOUFLAGE - A toggle ability that grants Loki "Camouflage" and slowly drains his energy over time. Camouflage's effectiveness is based on Loki's movement speed and distance from targets that might see him. The slower and more distant you are, the harder it is for enemies to detect you. Camouflage is perfect while standing still, or crawling slowly, and temporarily breaks during high-speed maneuvers like slide attacks and bullet jumps.

This one is good.   Invisibility is cheap and too easy... and DE refuse to add enemies that can see through invis and break it.

Add this:   In the darkness (see Mirage's Eclipse) Camouflage doesn't break even if you move fast.    
At 100% (perfect) Camouflage, detection range is 5 meters.  Coz otherwise its just invis.

On 2021-09-06 at 10:03 AM, ENIAK_Prime said:

NEW PASSIVE - Loki becomes INVISIBLE for 3 seconds every time he performs a ROLL

3 seconds is nothing....its going to be rather annoying, constantly flickering like that every time you roll.  Meh. 

It works for Limbo coz his Void lasts indefinitely, and you don't have to roll constantly to keep it up...

I thought you want to make stealth without invisibility? Do that. Get rid of all those "3 seconds invis" things. 

3 hours ago, Kainosh said:

I thought you want to make stealth without invisibility?

I did! You're right! Somehow it just didn't occur to me that the 3 second invis would be abused like that. I got hyperfocused on all the other stuff.

The point of the invis on his roll isn't supposed to be about letting him have a stealth option. The focus of the roll is supposed to be the Decoy it creates when enemies are alerted to Loki's presence, and the invis is supposed to just help the Decoy stand out and be a more desirable target for enemies to fight so that Loki can have a bunch of Distracted targets to kill.

Thanks for pointing that out, actually. I THINK I've fixed it now.

Loki is a solo trick master according to Nordic mythology, so I think the group invisibility is way to out of character but:

Passive could stay like it is, cause it's a way to stealthily plan a Decoy, or Teleport without using energy...

Decoy, could lower the alert when killed. After all, enemies have kill who they think was Loki, why do they still be on alert? When real Loki die they return to unalerted, could be the same for a perfect (or not) copy of Loki why not?

Invisibility, is the 2nd best invisibility skill after Ivara, I wouldn't dare to change it!!! Or maybe adding a steal (like Ivara) or a speed buff? Plus Stealth gameplay is real hard now with all the nerf on all frame, weapons and affinity scaling, so really don't make thing worst by nerfing an already nerfed skill we need some buff here, and some easying stealth options (on all frames stealth oriented and on some weapons as well) cause for solo (bad connection) player stealth exterminate is the best way for affinity farm (plus it's gratifying to kill everyone of them while they wasn't able to see you).

Teleport, is good but be better with the scapegoat thing but only on one enemy with the decoy aggro and without invisibility that would rebalance it a little, plus the scapegoat could keep Loki's appearance for a time lowering the alert before revealing itself and raising it again while pushing nearby enemies to return inspect the corpse...

Radial Disarm is for me good as it is... I "Lokily" love to see allies fighting each others empty handed...

Ninja must deceive without a way to do so... They are doomed!!!

10 hours ago, NeoSnakeVenom said:

Loki is a solo trick master according to Nordic mythology, so I think the group invisibility is way to out of character but:

Passive could stay like it is, cause it a way to stealthily plan a Decoy, or Teleport without using energy...

Decoy, could lower the alert when killed after all the have kill who they think was Loki, why do they still be on alert? When real Loki die the return to Alert Lvl0 same for a perfect (or not) copy why not?

Invisibility, is the 2nd best invisibility skill after Ivara, I wouldn't dare to change it!!!

Teleport, is good but be better with the scapegoat thing but only on one enemy with the decoy aggro and without invisibility that would rebalance it a little, plus the scapegoat could keep Loki's appearance for a time lowering the alert before revealing itself and raising it again while pushing nearby enemies to return inspect the corpse...

Radial Disarm is for me good as it is... I "Lokily" love to see allies fighting each others empty handed...

Ninja must deceive without a way to do so... They are doomed!!!

Loki is a shapeshifter and had a Giant wife, a giant half zombie daughter, a big wolf dog, and world eating snake as kids.

he played messed up pranks, and jokes, but ended up killing baldyr and got punished pretty badly

invisibility has been Loki's go to in warframe, and his overall kit is lame, i like his 4 to disarm crowds, but i dont know.

Switch teleport and decoy severly need something better. and invisibility is a must. 

he just needs a bag of tricks, and maybe the ability to turn into other things or enemies. 

On 2021-09-06 at 2:03 AM, ENIAK_Prime said:

NEW PASSIVE - Loki becomes OBSCURED for the duration of his ROLL (which is now a sliding dash move similar to Limbo).
- If enemies are alerted to Loki's presence, this maneuver also leaves a DECOY where he was standing. The Decoy lasts for 15 seconds.
- The Decoy DOES NOT take damage, and casts a "Distracted" debuff on enemies that attack it. Distracted targets are opened to finishers.
- There can only be one Decoy on the field at a time (unless TRICKSTER is active), and the oldest Decoy will be replaced (unless SCRAMBLED).
- Obscured is a special stealth that makes Loki semi-transparent. If a Decoy is around, enemies will ignore an Obscured Loki in favor of the Decoy.

i dont really like leaving decoys around because what i use Loki for alot is Stealth finisher Riven challenges, that say do not alert the enemies

This would make his "stealth" non existent. 

On 2021-09-06 at 2:03 AM, ENIAK_Prime said:

EW 2: CAMOUFLAGE - A toggle ability that grants Loki "Camouflage" and slowly drains his energy over time. Camouflage's effectiveness is based on Loki's movement speed and distance from targets that might see him. The slower and more distant you are, the harder it is for enemies to detect you. Camouflage is perfect while standing still, in dark spaces, or crawling slowly, and temporarily breaks during high-speed maneuvers like slide attacks and bullet jumps, and is less effective in bright light.

literally a more obnoxious and tedious stealth than just being invisible, but being able to turn into enemies would be an interesting concept if we could use their gear and abilities. 

On 2021-09-06 at 3:03 AM, ENIAK_Prime said:

NEW PASSIVE

That passive..... that's hot! 👏

SCRAMBLE

I think the enemy's not responding to deaths isn't necessary, it only takes away a special feature to banshee imo

CAMOUFLAGE

I see the direction you are trying to go in, and while it is a good one I don't think you should remove something that's so iconic about lokis kit. Its like removing the mane of a Male lion just so that he fits what you like more vs what people who like male lions like more (if that makes sense). I think every rework should keep the most well known parts of their kit.

I think that maybe your goal for reducing the power of invisibility is possibly through some sort of battery. Instead if running on energy perhaps loki can have some sort of battery icon that drains as he uses abilities, or just when he uses invisibility. Keeps it from being spammed 

SWITCH TELEPORT 

This change is pretty good! I think I dig everything about it! If DE can't reduce alert level at the very least it can act like a sort of crowd control where all the nearby enemies stop attacking and walk towards their fallen ally to investigate for a few seconds. Similar to Octavia's little meatball that hypnotizes enemies.

Be dope

TRICKSTER

I think this should stay as disarm. Trickster stealing weapons seems pretty trickstery to me, and this replacement doesn't sound more fun than his current imo, as it's just more decoys. It's also yet another iconic feature of loki. 

Aside from disarm change, I think the other changes are pretty good, the direction is really neat

8 hours ago, (PSN)Tomplexthis said:

This would make his "stealth" non existent

Nah man you misread, it says if enemies are alerted of your presence it will drop a decoy, so it works when you fail stealth.

But what you were saying before about loki having a bag of tricks, 100% agree! He should be able to surprise his enemies and even allies imo. Trickster with no tricks is no Trickster at all

On 2021-09-10 at 11:39 PM, (PSN)Tomplexthis said:

Loki is a shapeshifter...

... he just needs a bag of tricks, and maybe the ability to turn into other things or enemies. 

On 2021-09-10 at 11:47 PM, (PSN)Tomplexthis said:

being able to turn into enemies would be an interesting concept if we could use their gear and abilities. 

... THAT'S NOT A BAD IDEA. HOLD UP A SECOND...

EDIT: Camouflage is now Masquerade. I didn't keep the "using their gear and abilities" thing since I dunno if DE wants to go through all the trouble to do that so I think simply appearing to them as their own is enough for now.

For further trickstering I added in the ability to kill his own Decoys while Masquerading, so he can further fool his enemies.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2021-09-06 at 3:18 PM, Kainosh said:

Mag with Magnetized Discharge, "Am I a joke to you?"

Jokes aside, I've read reworks for Loki and I thought I had seen the best but yours? My god. Trickster God that would make him mechanically more complex, me likey very much.

2 hours ago, PR1D3 said:

Mag with Magnetized Discharge, "Am I a joke to you?"

Jokes aside, I've read reworks for Loki and I thought I had seen the best but yours? My god. Trickster God that would make him mechanically more complex, me likey very much.

Thanks!

And yeah I always think it's kind of dumb when people ask what the point of an ability is when there is maybe one or two that do the same thing.

By that logic why does Vauban need Tesla Nervos? he can just mod his guns for Shock procs.

Why does he need Flechette Orbs? He can just mod his guns for puncture damage.

Let things be "redundant". Jesus... There's a MILLION things in this game that can be described that way. It's not a good criticism at all...

• 4 weeks later...

Archived