Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

K-Drives in Normal Missions?! Not just Free Roams!

Chilled_Ferrum

Hello there Players and Digital Extremes!
I played around in a normal mission and I attempted to launch My K-Drive.
I noticed that it didn't work.
What if it did!? 
Every player could use their own custom K-Drive in any mission.
I find that to be super sick and players will find the use of K-Drives to be more useful.

Just imagine how cool it would be to roam around the mission with a K-Drive!! 
Of course the speed could be slightly reduced or some sort of a slight nerf to balance it with the ratio of the scale of the map, compared to the Free Roams.

What do you all think??
Please upvote this post in case if it gets some more attention. 
It could surely be a game changer!!

What if it did!? 
I find that to be super sick and players will find the use of K-Drives to be more useful.
The number of people that will use the K-Drives will surely be increased.

Now as a community player I do not know how successful the K-Drives expansion was, but I believe that it could definitely benefit to us all!

Just imagine how cool it would be to roam around the mission with a K-Drive!! 
Of course the speed could be slightly reduced or some sort of a slight nerf to balance it with the ratio of the scale of the map, compared to the Free Roams.
Technically speaking a speed based Warframe can easily out speed a K-Drive so it only makes sense if we all had the chance to use it in a normal mission!

Please DE, have a look at my suggestion it may be pretty cool!

What do you all think??
Please upvote this post in case if it gets some more attention. 
It could surely be a game changer!!

Have a good day everyone!

You might want to try Yareli and see how you feel afterwards. Personally I like flowing through the level on her second skill, though I’m not exactly finding lack of k-drive a huge problem. Not sure there’d be many players using k-drives in mission anyways outside of novelty’s sake.

🤔 That said, most things don’t get used outside of the most efficient things, so I’m not sure non-use is a proper argument against the introduction of something that doesn’t help make the grind faster. I guess personally I’d be pretty “meh”, but I would also suggest seeing how Merulina feels to use

1 hour ago, Chilled_Ferrum said:

You are not the first to make a post about this. When K-drivers were first introduced other players wanted to use them in normal missions.

The problem is most tilesets are not designed to allow players a smooth traverse with something like the K-drive, even Yareli suffers a bit with it, having her speed significantly limited by it. There is also the fact that there is a mod that would make them too good to use in missions as it would provide players with infinite energy.

If DE hadnt released Yareli and the Juice mod, i would maybe consider it.

1 hour ago, Chilled_Ferrum said:

What if it did!? 

Yareli's collision mechanic because she's riding higher than the door is not only annoying, it's jarring as well.  While the Voidrig and Bonewidow simply walk through the door with a bit of sparks and not even a pause in movement: Yareli when she's on Merulina pauses/jitters as she hits the top of the doorframe before she moves on through it.   Can you imagine the annoyance that's going to generate when all players have to experience it and not just the Yareli mains? 

I think DE needs to work on the collision mechanics for Yareli first before they try to add the rest of the k-drives to all missions. 

None of the maps are designed with K-Drives in mind, unfortunately, so it creates many, many, many, MANY problems. Yareli is STILL encountering extremely frustrating bugs and issues as a result of having her own personal in-mission K-Drive (Merulina), so the chances of a game-wide K-Drive enabling is, well, slim. Not to mention it's really the only unique thing Yareli has to her, so I doubt DE would be willing to just allow them anywhere.

The same more or less also applies to Archwing & Titania. Titania is able to essentially Archwing in any map, which at face value seems like it'd be a colossally horrible idea with just how huge Archwings are. So how does it work just fine (for the most part) for Titania? Easy. She becomes as close to microscopic as possible without being unseeable.

However, I don't think that would necessarily fix Yareli (or K-Drives in general)'s problem.

Many maps are still super glitchy even with Movement 2.0 (for those unaware, it's our current parkour system), and next to none of the maps function with K-Drive. Even Fortuna, Deimos, and Eidolon Plains are pretty glitchy with K-Drives. Fortuna was when K-Drives were introduced, and Deimos is newer than Fortuna.

The best way for a K-Drive to be functional is to have a big, excessively empty room. But that doesn't leave for good level design, because big, excessively empty rooms are boring. just look at half the Lua tilesets

K-Drives also essentially make your warframe about 1/3rd of a warframe taller. Most doors don't exactly accommodate that, and many decorations don't either. So overhead collision becomes a problem. Then there's weird hitboxes on some doors (or doors that are otherwise just outright slow) which is most noticeable with Grineer-type doors. (They open VERY slow, as any Gauss player would discover pretty quickly)

TLDR: Next to none of the maps in the game are currently able to accommodate K-Drives, leaving the player in collision-state way, way, way too often. Even in Plains/Fortuna/Deimos.

EDIT: Eidolon Plains is probably the only map that accommodates K-Drive sort of well, and that's only because the Plains are already pretty excessively empty. Fortuna is also pretty excessively empty, but there's enough random hills, divots, etc that make it a little more of a hitbox nightmare on top of Corpus dropships magically knowing where you are at any given time. Deimos has too much crap in it.

Archived