Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Update (Twitter): Warframe Alerts App - By Kingtaro

KingTaro

App has been deployed for the Blackberry aswell.

However, I do not own a blackberry, so I wasn't able to test it on an actual device. But it did look good on the simulators!

Still working on the Admin panel. Will try to make a Webapp for the other devices, once the Admin panel is done.

Hey, great app. Installed and running fine on a HP Touchpad running CM9.

I do have a request tho, can you make a landscape view? My tablet stands on it's side, so, I kinda have to tilt my head every time I want to read it, worth it tho :P

My name will be "Grinn", I plan to use the app for good, and not evil.

Just a possible improvement to the actual submit system, and to eliminate troll attempts:

You said you were afraid of it almost being impossible to counter typo's and such, but what about making the submissions only choosing from plain dropdown menu's? I know it would be a bit less elegant, but it would mean troll attempts can only go as far as posting an alert that's not happening, and it would be possible to validate an alert way easier.

For example, make dropdown menu's for every planetary system, and once you chose that, the second one opens with the actual mission. Choosing that opens the third dropdown menu which is used to choose what reward it drops. The fourth and final one decides how much time (roughly) is left in a dropdown.

This way you can just compare choices instead of actual text which would make it a lot easier to validate. On top of that, this should be fairly easily coded into the existing webpage with like Javascript or something. But seeing what you have accomplished so far, this system should be a breeze for you. Only 'work' that might be tedious is actually adding all systems/missions and rewards, but all that info is available either ingame or on this forum, and only has to be updated by an admin once new rewards or missions are actually added.

Just a small sidenote. If you need any help with anything, either graphical or something else, don't be afraid to ask. I'm pretty sure me (or the community) is glad to help you with whatever.

Edited by aMannus

Posting this for my friend. He got the app for his Android device, but it didn't fit properly on his screen. If you'd like, I can link the screenshot he took later (posting this from my phone, would have to transfer his pic to my computer) and I can also find out his model of phone. Although I have yet to try this app for myself, it sounds awesome and I hope you continue it :) I'll be getting an Android sometime soon and this will be one of the first apps I get.

Edited by TheFired3mon

@Grinn and Daeron

Your accounts have been approved!

You can now submit the alerts. Thank you for your support!

@aMannus

Thank you for your suggestion, aMannus!

I did consider making a dropdown selection, but I'm afraid it's not an efficient solution.

For intance, on a shopping website, where you have an option to search using categories, people would most likely ignore it and use the searchbar instead, if they know what they are looking for. Simply because it's faster.

That's the reason why I went for a textbar, rather then the drop down. There are way too many missions to choose from for it to be efficient.

A better approach, which I'll be implementing, is code-hinting. As you type down a list appears showing you all the possibilities. You can either click on one of the items in the list or keep typing untill the list is short enough to see the mission you're looking for.

Still, I appreciate your input!

Thank you.

@chuuburg

Is it only the sound?

Do the new alerts appear automatically?

If it's only the sound, you might have the sound turned off for your browser. Youtube would be a good way to test it. If the sound is disabled, you can turn it on by pressing the sound icon at the right corner of your windows bar. Then choosing "Mixer" and turning it on for your browser.

If the Alerts don't appear automatically either, then it means something is blocking the app requests (when the app is not being focussed). It could be some sort of browser-blocker plugin or a program/service running in the background.

If it's a blocker on the browser, try a different one. (Firefox, IE, Opera, Chrome, Safari,...) and see if it works.

@TheFired3mon

Yes, I'd like to see a screenshot.

I've got an idea why it won't fit properly on some devices. (It's due to width being greater then the height as far as I know).

But as I do not posses such device it will be difficult to adjust it properly.

I'd like his help to test the app as I try to fit it on his screen. But this is something for later on. Could he send me a PM here on forum to keep in touch?

Thank you!

PS: There is an alternative Mobile app avaible for the Android and Blackberry.

The alternative app will shout "Something's wrong" when a new alert appears!

Mobile apps: http://www.kingtaro.com/warframe/mobile/

@aMannus

Thank you for your suggestion, aMannus!

I did consider making a dropdown selection, but I'm afraid it's not an efficient solution.

For intance, on a shopping website, where you have an option to search using categories, people would most likely ignore it and use the searchbar instead, if they know what they are looking for. Simply because it's faster.

That's the reason why I went for a textbar, rather then the drop down. There are way too many missions to choose from for it to be efficient.

A better approach, which I'll be implementing, is code-hinting. As you type down a list appears showing you all the possibilities. You can either click on one of the items in the list or keep typing untill the list is short enough to see the mission you're looking for.

Still, I appreciate your input!

Thank you.

Well, the only difference in this application and a shopping app is that you're not trying to sell anything. People are trying to help by filling the application which means they must be prepared to put atleast a tiny amount of time in it. I agree with you that code hinting would definiately be better though! I don't know if it's possible, but the same 'concept' could still be used with code hinting, meaning that there's only the actual choices ingame that can be used, except that you use a or multiple search fields instead of a dropdown menu. As far as I can see though, you're more than capable of thinking about how to execute all of this, so all the good luck to you while working on this :).

I have a question for those of us who do not own advanced cell phones with apps. Can the webpage instead be used? I have not registered to look at it yet but just wondering. Since its a pain to hit alt+tab every 10-20 minutes. Not to mention I could have a video on youtube running at full speed instead of having the game on have a webpage on that shows everything.

@Arlayn

Off cource!

The mobile app is just a simple version of the browser app.

You don't even have to register to use the app on the website, the registration is only neccessary if you'd like to submit an Alert.

Here is the webpage: http://www.kingtaro.com/warframe/

Just open it in one of the tabs and let it run, when a new Alert is avaible, you'll hear a notification sound.

@TheFired3mon

Yes, I'd like to see a screenshot.

I've got an idea why it won't fit properly on some devices. (It's due to width being greater then the height as far as I know).

But as I do not posses such device it will be difficult to adjust it properly.

I'd like his help to test the app as I try to fit it on his screen. But this is something for later on. Could he send me a PM here on forum to keep in touch?

Thank you!

He says he has a Sony Experia Go, and I'll ask if he'd like to hop on the forums and keep in touch with you.

Here's the screenshot. http://tinypic.com/r/54u0zl/6

@chuuburg

Is it only the sound?

Do the new alerts appear automatically?

If it's only the sound, you might have the sound turned off for your browser. Youtube would be a good way to test it. If the sound is disabled, you can turn it on by pressing the sound icon at the right corner of your windows bar. Then choosing "Mixer" and turning it on for your browser.

If the Alerts don't appear automatically either, then it means something is blocking the app requests (when the app is not being focussed). It could be some sort of browser-blocker plugin or a program/service running in the background.

If it's a blocker on the browser, try a different one. (Firefox, IE, Opera, Chrome, Safari,...) and see if it works.

The alerts appear and updates every minute, sound is fine on stuff such as youtube on my firefox.

I'll try on chrome and see how it goes

Edited by chuuburg

Just wanted to say, the application has been working perfectly fine on my Sony Xperia U. This is the regular version with the *ding* sound I'm using, and the push sounds also work beautifully. Was kind of forgetting to mention this earlier, but might be nice to add to the list of 'Confirmed working devices' or something.

@chuuburg

Maybe it has something to do with the flash player plugin on your browsers.

Try to download the latest player and see if it works.

You can download it on the official adobe website.

Flash player for most browsers, except the IE: http://download.macromedia.com/pub/flashplayer/updaters/11/flashplayer_11_plugin_debug.exe

Flash player for IE: http://download.macromedia.com/pub/flashplayer/updaters/11/flashplayer_11_ax_debug.exe

For other versions, see: http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html

I'm not sure if this could help, because you said the sound did work on youtube video's, but here are some extra solutions on how to fix the sound in flash: http://codecguide.com/fix_for_flash_sound_problems.htm

PS: Please try these extra solutions at your own risk. I haven't tried those myself, so I can't tell whether or not they'll fix the problem.

@aMannus

That's indeed a great idea!

Will update the thread in a moment.

@Ultr3cht

Your account has been approved now! You'll now be able to submit an Alert.

When the app first launched, everyone that registered could submit an alert right away, and in the first 5-10 min, we already had people submitting false alerts. Or posting inappropriate content. That's why I implemented this security measure to prevent people from spamming.

I'm currently working on an admin panel. This should speed up the accounts approval process.

@DellTheBeginner1

I approved your account, but I see you didn't activate the account yet.

You'll receive an email with an activation code.

Once you login again, you'll be redirected to activate your account with the activation code.

These are just extra security steps neccessary to prevent "spam".

The Admin Panel

Hi there guys!

The admin panel is done! This should speed up the proccess of new users getting approved.

And make it a bit easier to monitor the Alerts.

I'm still looking for more Admins to help me out.

If you're interested, please list or PM me the following info:

- Your IGN (or add me, my IGN is KingTaro)

- Your time-zone (I'd like to have admins from as many time-zones as possible)

- Name you used to register at my App (www.kingtaro.com/warframe). (So I know who to allocate as an admin)

Regards,

Taro.

needs a refresh buttom, and if you should make it last like 5~8 alerts that went off, also needs what day/time they went off, i'd be nice if it did that. i like seeing all the things that go off/what reward they give

The app will automatically retrieve the latest Alert and notify you.

So, just keep the app running in the background and you'll hear a sound once a new Alert gets submitted!

But I guess I'll add a refresh button on the mobile app for those who have a phone that stops all the apps running in the background.