Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Getting kind of annoyed that pretty much everything on the youtube channel requires a credit card to watch.

TheArcSet

The only thing holding you from watching those videos is the age restriction. In most countries this doesn't require credit-card info to be linked to your youtube account or anything similar.

If DE doesn't put the age restriction on some Youtube employee will probably do and DE might get into trouble quickly with how Youtube mostly handles things with "3 strikes you are out".

Your problem is with youtube and/or your government, DE does not control or own anything on youtube other then the footage itself. Watching their footage isn't even exclusively done on Youtube, you can (re)watch the most recent streams on Twitch.

On 2022-02-04 at 8:48 PM, Quimoth said:

In most countries this doesn't require credit-card info to be linked to your youtube account or anything similar.

Interesting, I had no idea. Most?

If DE doesn't put the age restriction on some Youtube employee will probably do

Pretty sure that's never happened (Edit: apparently it has, but by bots, so I assume off tags and such) and as I said, other channels, both partner companies and reactors, often mirror the exact video unrestricted.
You can see all the trailers on the PlayStation channel.

Your problem is with youtube and/or your government, DE does not control or own anything on youtube other then the footage itself. Watching their footage isn't even exclusively done on Youtube, you can (re)watch the most recent streams on Twitch.

Restricting the videos (or accepting flags) on youtube is 100% DE choice though.

I did say I understood the reasons and I put this in community discussion, rather than complaining to DE.

So, do you personally think restricting pretty much all promotional videos is the right decision for Warframe's marketing?

Devstreams are not promotional material and since the entire game is marketed as mature 17+ it probably is legally best to treat any videos on that game the same. DE is responsible for their own accounts/content not that of others. Why they do/dont put the restrictions on some videos is honestly not my problem. Those people that are blocked from watching the videos are also the same people that shouldn't be able to buy plat or play Warframe.

I do not care if it is locked behind an age restriction or not, because I am by no means hindered by that restriction myself.

How can you know DE hasn't got at least one person responsible for rating/restricting their videos to prevent legal issues or problems with Youtube? To me it is a no-brainer that DE takes into account that they rather advertise with restrictions then not advertise at all due their account being suspended and all videos blocked/removed due to a violation on any party (government or youtube it doesn't really matter)

4 hours ago, Quimoth said:

I've never mentioned dev streams. Those, or game-play, aren't age restricted.
I posted this after the latest frame spotlight dropped and like all the retroactive ones, I could no-longer find no way to watch it.

If I physical can't see the promotions they've spent time and money making and that's because they ticked a box that their partners  and peers chose not to, that does seem to be a less than ideal situation.

As I said before understand, I understand the mature content flag reasoning, but given Youtube's actual system, unless DE is desperately concerned with raising ad revenue on their videos, this still seems like a decision that is not particularly helpful for anyone. Unless you think DE actual 'desire' is for no one under 18 to play Warframe.

'Most' people wouldn't happily give Youtube their credit cards ether, unless they very desperate to see 'mature' videos.

And a lot of global player live in countries where that is mandated by this choice.

frame.png

Kind of shows some confusion on their part.
That video has a warning, the others, like Garuda's are actively restricted.

Implying that they think at least one of the methods is unnecessary, or that the prominence of 'mature' content is more important than it's actual presence.

47 minutes ago, TheArcSet said:

And a lot of global player live in countries where that is mandated by this choice

Pretty sure it is mostly just countries in the UK/EU area that require this. The majority of people will be unaffected. No age verification is required in my country, just tell YT whatever age you want and that’s it.

DE may have nothing to do with this. Perhaps they are forced to flag videos to avoid getting in trouble with YT/others. Blame government regulations for your problem.

If you're in Europe then it's because of "The Audiovisual Media Services Directive (AVMSD)". Basically telling them your age isn't good enough so they require proof of your age (picture of your ID card or credit card details) to watch age restricted content on video sharing platforms. Essentially it's to protect kids but it's also Government telling parents what their kids are allowed to do rather than the parents deciding. 

Usually it's down to the Youtuber to decide if their video is restricted. However Youtube do also make videos as restricted (sometimes maliciously too). The best you can do is find a re-uploader  Garuda

Archived