Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Website logged me out

Myscho

Without missing a beat on each sunday or monday the Forums celebrate a new week's beginning by logging me off and sending me to deal with warframe.com and its faulty captcha system.

It's become a part of the routine honestly. Some people start a monday morning with a coffee, and I start it with questioning DE's handling of their own websites.

• Like 2

On 2023-06-16 at 9:32 AM, rodrigerzZ said:

the bug is very old. and i dont know how big company cant fix such simple bug.

i can only laugh. epic fail

To be fair, the issue seems to be specifically on the forum side, and the forums are powered by Invision -- which is software not written by DE (and which I've used to run forums myself).

There's plenty of things we can point the finger at DE for, but I'm not 100% convinced this is actually one of them.

• Like 2

vor 15 Stunden schrieb Packetdancer:

To be fair, the issue seems to be specifically on the forum side, and the forums are powered by Invision -- which is software not written by DE (and which I've used to run forums myself).

There's plenty of things we can point the finger at DE for, but I'm not 100% convinced this is actually one of them.

if you constantly cut yourself with a cake knife, do you complain to the cake knife company????
but of course prefer to blame others?

9 hours ago, rodrigerzZ said:

if you constantly cut yourself with a cake knife, do you complain to the cake knife company????
but of course prefer to blame others?

If I cut myself with a cake knife, it's probably my own fault. But if the cake knife has a terrible handle and the blade wiggles and cuts me as a result... then yeah, I'd complain to the cake knife company.

The thing is, in this analogy... we've got a wonky cake knife, but IPS (the company that makes the forum software) is the "cake knife company" and DE is the one using the wonky cake knife. If we (the players) fit into this analogy at all, then we're the ones waiting to eat the cake once it's done.

To continue your cake knife analogy, what DE could probably do is go buy a different cake knife (e.g., go buy different forum software) and hopefully that would not have a wonky handle (e.g., would integrate more reliably with their login system). But -- and I fear my ability to continue your cake knife analogy in a sane fashion runs up against a wall here -- if they do that, then unless the software supports importing an existing Invision installation's data we lose all past post history.

Which is... also not great.

I mean, I don't dispute that the situation with the forums constantly logging people out is extremely annoying. I, too, would like a fix. But I had a very similar issue on an Invision setup that I ran where the login was authenticated against an external service (in my case, a Mediawiki user database), which is a lot of why I think this issue is quite probably on Invision's side rather than DE's.

There's a lot of issues we can legitimately say DE is responsible for, as I said before. But if people are saying it's on Digital Extremes to fix the software that Invision Power Services writes, just because they use that software... then sort of by extension it's our responsibility to fix issues in Warframe, because we use that software. And I just can't make myself agree with that; I don't think it's ever the responsibility of the customer to fix issues introduced by the company they are a customer of.

And as annoying as this forum issue is, in this particular instance, Digital Extremes is the customer.

On 2023-06-08 at 2:20 PM, XHADgaming said:

@[DE]Tayler

Given that you are likely the main communication person for Twitch due to posting the community stream schedule and communicated recent site issues you seem like the person at DE that can contact the forum providers to get this issue with the forums logging people out that has spanned over a dozen pages that is still isn't fixed.

Is there an update on the issue with forum users being logged out despite not clicking the log out button that can be provided?

@[DE]Taylor

This message is meant for you, just now realized I pinged the wrong person.

On 2023-06-20 at 9:01 PM, Packetdancer said:

I know several other forums that are powered by Invision - and most of them were affected by this very issue, but all of them quickly got it fixed.

It seems DE can't even be bothered getting in touch with Invision, and just keep paying them for a broken service. The worst thing is that this problem most likely impact the community's engagement in discussions & feedback 9 times out of 10, I don't even report bugs anymore, because re-logging back in for the 100th time is getting old, and DE just ignores issues stemming from old code (that's the impression I get anyway).

• Like 2

vor 2 Stunden schrieb XHADgaming:

Is there any DE member at all that can give us an update? Any at all?

Been at least 3 months since we've had something regarding forum updates and this issue still persists.

they are not interested in that at all. but if you complain about it, you'll get a warning and a forum ban very quickly.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, rodrigerzZ said:

they are not interested in that at all. but if you complain about it, you'll get a warning and a forum ban very quickly.

If they are willing to allow me to be spammed with logging out messages and forcing light mode onto me every time, then I think I am right to comment that it is still happening.

If I was to get a warning and forum ban for this I'd think that would have happened a long time ago. So I think I am safe on following on the forum rules.

• Like 1

vor 32 Minuten schrieb XHADgaming:

If they are willing to allow me to be spammed with logging out messages and forcing light mode onto me every time, then I think I am right to comment that it is still happening.

If I was to get a warning and forum ban for this I'd think that would have happened a long time ago. So I think I am safe on following on the forum rules.

just not. we have steam platform and many other forums. reality sees things differently when you read the truth.