Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

QoL for frames with switchable abilities

ixxxo

I like the warframes that have more than just four abilities, but I always considered cycling by holding and casting by taping cumbersome approach.  I know, I can switch it - but it's simply too slow for me.  I suggest being able to customize starting ability by emmisive color (coding for this is I believe already in place, considering you can already do this for for example Chroma or Equinox). 

I always have a preferred ability for each such frame (but above suggestion would really suit everyone):

Vauban - I always start with Flechette Orb

Wisp - Haste Mote (I know there's multi-mote augument, but I consider the energy price a bit too steep, especially for mission start)

Ivara - Cloak Arrow

Xaku - Gaze

More frames that could benefit from suggestion - Khora, Titania, I possibly forgot others.  But for at least the above four I personally consider having preferred ability ready at start of the mission to be crucial.

6 minutes ago, ixxxo said:

I like the warframes that have more than just four abilities, but I always considered cycling by holding and casting by taping cumbersome approach.  I know, I can switch it - but it's simply too slow for me.  I suggest being able to customize starting ability by emmisive color (coding for this is I believe already in place, considering you can already do this for for example Chroma or Equinox). 

I always have a preferred ability for each such frame (but above suggestion would really suit everyone):

Vauban - I always start with Flechette Orb

Wisp - Haste Mote (I know there's multi-mote augument, but I consider the energy price a bit too steep, especially for mission start)

Ivara - Cloak Arrow

Xaku - Gaze

More frames that could benefit from suggestion - Khora, Titania, I possibly forgot others.  But for at least the above four I personally consider having preferred ability ready at start of the mission to be crucial.

Maybe make it so you control what mode it starts in by choosing a specific colour. Like Chroma.

Rather be able to set a default independent of emissives. It was a whole thing with arcane helmets, the idea being cosmetics shouldn't influence gameplay.

Not to mention, while it's easy coding, it's a headache with design. Chroma and Equinox are fairly intuitive: elemental colours and light/dark colours. Blues are associated with ice, greens with toxin, bright and dark colours for light / dark. What colour is Flechette Orb? Sleep Arrow? Those don't have the same intuition. (Heck, sometimes it's bad enough trying to figure out whether a colour is sufficiently light to count for Equinox.)

11 hours ago, Tyreaus said:

Rather be able to set a default independent of emissives. It was a whole thing with arcane helmets, the idea being cosmetics shouldn't influence gameplay.

Not to mention, while it's easy coding, it's a headache with design. Chroma and Equinox are fairly intuitive: elemental colours and light/dark colours. Blues are associated with ice, greens with toxin, bright and dark colours for light / dark. What colour is Flechette Orb? Sleep Arrow? Those don't have the same intuition. (Heck, sometimes it's bad enough trying to figure out whether a colour is sufficiently light to count for Equinox.)

For Vauban for example Flechette Orb icon actually is red, Haste Mote green, Sleep Arrow yellow IIRC.  But for some abilities they might first adjust icon colors (or not, as long as they have some color, but that depends also on how detailed their current coding of color recognition is).  Of course, having ability to set skill default would be best and preferred by me too, I was trying to bring up something that is sort of in the game already. 

Also I was totally unaware that arcane helmets did this, that would be nice solution too (as long as the helmet design would be acceptable personally, which honestly, most of the extra helmet designs are not for me).

Good points!

40 minutes ago, Drasiel said:

It would be nice if instead of once more having to pick colours based on mechanics instead of the ones I want you could just go into the power menu and select default power.

Agreed, I'd be totally happy with extra UI option to set default.

Yes please, let us choose the starting ability, and also the order in which we cycle through them.
Most definitely let us simply choose things like Equinox' starting form / the subsumed Rest vs Rage effect.

Same for weapons with multiple firing modes while we're at it,
where I'd also love to have further customization options, like choosing, say,
for my Corinth Prime to shoot Airbursts by default, and only use "regular" shots while aiming,
or my Penta to detonate upon letting go of the fire button if you choose to hold rather than tap it,
to have my Bramma start charging and eventually auto-fire upon tapping the button,
maybe have my Kuva Hind's 3 firing modes allotted to hip fire, ADS, and Secondary Fire, stuff like that.

Going back to abilities, I still think the cycling is a super clunky solution.
What about an option where, similar to how Lavos combines elements,
you tap, let's say 2 on Vauban, then a selector thingie pops up, and you choose which mine to deploy by pressing 1-4.

For repeated use, you could make it so holding the button simply uses the last-selected mine again.
And you could of course still choose which effect happens on tap vs hold, as is the case now.

(Alternatively just split up cycle abilities if possible, on Vauban you could have his 8 abilities all neatly spread out via tap vs hold functions.)

5 hours ago, NinjaZeku said:

(Alternatively just split up cycle abilities if possible, on Vauban you could have his 8 abilities all neatly spread out via tap vs hold functions.)

This^ but let us choice:

- remove subabilities

- swap (sub)abilities inside one slot or between 2 slots

- add (sub)abilities to slot

I still wish they use the game called Smite, vgs system where you can quickly tap buttons in a certain order to activate commands

Ig R1 twice, R1 then L1, R1 then X

Smite vgs be having atleast 3 to 4 button steps that you have to take to say what you want, and people can almost do it instantly

"You rock, cancel that" vgs be lightning fast

Or just make more menu button commands where you hold 1 button, then press another to activate an ability or action. I need that real bad because the "secondary fire" button i be needing but have no buttons for it

All solid points, especially @NinjaZeku, I actually had exactly same discussion with clanmate few days ago, when he was trying Bubonico for the first time and wished he could swap alt mode to regular mode.  Having option to set different firing modes when aiming would be immersive too!

I haven't play Smite, but by description it sounds like user friendly solution as well.  As for Lavos, I didn't enjoy his elemental priming too much, but that's again because holding is required.  I'd like to see holding really go in fast paced shooter like this.  Or only on very special abilities you cast few times per mission, not every few dozens of seconds at best.

On 2022-08-25 at 5:49 PM, maaleru said:
The idea is great, but how much work will be required to implement it.
Also I don't want to change colors of anything.

Yeah, I suggested color priming because they have it already ingame.  But having full freedom to set it up from Arsenal would probably be preferred by most.

Archived