Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why gas on nataruk?

Feng030126

Question

I recently swapped my nataruk build from viral slash to gas build. As I have saw quite a number of it on overframe.

After some self research on wiki and YouTube, I am still clueless on why using gas.

If I  not wrong, Gas status make a cloud of DoT and the damage scale off BASE damage ( serration, arcanes ). And with the unlimited punch through that nataruk have, it can easily slap through high density and proc a lot of gas. I don't think gas is anyway stronger than viral hunter munitions but I am actually surprised that gas nataruk isn't performing too bad compared to viral slash at SP Mot, using Ivara.

Still clueless on why gas.

Build is weak since I am new and have no Endo. Just want to know why gas.

image-1.png

10 answers to this question

8 hours ago, taiiat said:

AoE DoT's can perform pretty well against groups of Enemies, as long as you have a way to group them, mmh.
Electricity is better IMO, but Gas can still work.

you sure it's still making an impact - that AoE nerf applied to all types of Radial Damage. though Headshot Multipliers maybe are able to still increase it back again afterwards, so maybe it does still do something.

Oh yes, I wasn't clear. Some of the details I didn't remember, and a couple seemed to have changed or I misunderstood the explanations before.  I think I've got it worked out now after some testing.

Due to lack of time I only tested Gas and Electric, plus Toxin as a control, but I think...

- All status dots benefit from the (normally) 3x innate headshot multiplier. 

- This includes secondary targets from Gas and Electric AoE from a headshot on an initial target.

- However this only applies once.  IOW, even if the AoE itself hits a head, no second application of the 3x multiplier.

- Toxin (and presumably) Heat and Slash benefit from any additional headshot multipliers like Deadhead as normal.

- The same goes for secondary targets from Gas and Electric AoE.  (Again, only applies once.)

- Gas and Electric procs on the initial target double dip on any additional multipliers.  So Deadhead is worth not x1.3, but 1.69.

To illustrate what happens with gas/electric dots with actual damage numbers:

Spoiler

No special multipliers...

Primary target body: 6 // Secondary target body: 6

Primary target head: 18 // Secondary target head: 18  (3x multiplier)

With Deadhead's 30% bonus

Primary target head:  30 // Secondary target head: 23  (30% applies twice on the primary, but only once on the secondary)

With Deadhead plus Prowl, 110% total bonus

Primary target head:  77, Secondary target head: 37 (ditto)

Conclusion, if you can hit headshots without too much trouble with gas/electric, do it.  Gas especially, since it's lacking some of the multipliers of electric, and some of the effect lingers even if you kill the original target.

2 hours ago, Feng030126 said:

Build is weak since I am new and have no Endo. Just want to know why gas.

The status effect of  Gas damage is Gas Cloud. It produces a gas cloud that deals a tick of damage each second to all enemies within a 3-meter radius; subsequent procs increase the radius by 0.3 meters up to 6 meters in total after 10 stacks. The cloud has a 6 second duration
Notice that modded base damage calculation used for DoT is not the same as normal damage calculations, ignoring physical and elemental damage bonuses.
Additional Multipliers include modded critical multiplier on Critical Hit and multipliers on Enemy Body Parts; these stack multiplicatively with each other.

Gas can use crit damage in the formula, Natatuk have a ridiculous crit chance, high crit damage and high status chance.
But there's also the case where Warframe like Saryn has abilities that give other elements to the mix.

Test with gyre pull and Nataruk 0 forma:

Work good with zephyr to:

In short, I think it works well with any ability with pull

PS: You can also use it with ivara as long as you have the complete Kubrow MECHA SET.

38 minutes ago, DrivaMain said:

Gas is terrible, DE butchered it. Gas stacks are capped at 10 instances, every time a new instance is triggered, the oldest instance is removed. If you want AoE status, go with electricity instead. No stack limit and can be combined with Viral.

I thought the same thing 1 hour ago xD but it's quite efficient with a good pull, I just tried it with Proboscis Cernos and it works quite well to.  only with pulls abilities.

50 minutes ago, CosoMalvadoNG said:

I thought the same thing 1 hour ago xD but it's quite efficient with a good pull, I just tried it with Proboscis Cernos and it works quite well to.  only with pulls abilities.

It CAN work on high burst DPS with weapons, but only on infested and maybe corpus. Grineer's cloned flesh 50% DR against gas hurts it a lot because they already have armor DR ontop of it.

On 2023-01-19 at 2:33 PM, DrivaMain said:

Gas is terrible, DE butchered it. Gas stacks are capped at 10 instances,

Per enemy. If you have plethora of enemies available and the ability to stack them together (Larva, Ensnare, Zephyr, Gyre, Vazarin) so their respective clouds overlap you got yourself a nuke. Just keep bringing the enemies to the center and watch the fireworks.

On 2023-01-19 at 6:22 AM, Feng030126 said:

So if I land a crit, my proc damage is increased. And red crits will increase the gas damage further. Am I correct about this?

Yes.  Headshot procs work in the same general way.  Even on Nataruk with its non-existent headshot multiplier, as long as you've got that Deadhead slotted.  Or another source of headshot damage, but I think Prowl is the only other option that works on it.

Extra headshot damage is especially tasty with gas and electric dots, as the tick damage will double dip on additional headshot multipliers.

AoE DoT's can perform pretty well against groups of Enemies, as long as you have a way to group them, mmh.
Electricity is better IMO, but Gas can still work.

7 hours ago, Tiltskillet said:

Yes.  Headshot procs work in the same general way.  Even on Nataruk with its non-existent headshot multiplier, as long as you've got that Deadhead slotted.  Or another source of headshot damage, but I think Prowl is the only other option that works on it.

Extra headshot damage is especially tasty with gas and electric dots, as the tick damage will double dip on additional headshot multipliers.

you sure it's still making an impact - that AoE nerf applied to all types of Radial Damage. though Headshot Multipliers maybe are able to still increase it back again afterwards, so maybe it does still do something.

Archived