Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

More Tradeable Weapons

(XBOX)Ampathetiic

For context, I am an MR32 player who has almost every item and has done basically everything there is to do. A lot of the time I spend on Warframe nowadays is for the purpose of getting items just so I can them give away to players who need them, because I enjoy playing the game but I need things to work towards.

Simply put, I would like more items to be made tradeable so that I can grind more activities for different items, and use that time spent to help other players. For other players, this gives sellers a reason to do activities they normally would stay away from, and buyers another thing to spend platinum on. If it feels inappropriate for a new player to get an item without doing the prerequisite quest, add that quest as a prerequisite for trading the item in the same way that Mastery Rank is used in trading (although many quest-locked weapons are already tradeable).

Here's a non-exhaustive list of items that I believe should be tradeable; let me know if you disagree with any:

Spoiler
  • Acceltra & Akarius
  • Quassus
  • Alternox
  • Hespar & Aeolak (main blueprints)
  • Kompressa
  • Aegrit & Afentis
  • Dread, Hate, & Despair
  • Broken War & War (main blueprints)
  • Brakk & Detron
  • Simulor & Heliocor
  • Stahlta, Velox, & Stropha (main blueprints)
  • Perigale & Sarofang (main blueprints)
  • Trumna, Sepulcrum, Zymos, & Keratinos

Not every weapon on that list needs to be made tradeable simultaneously, but as content gets older and new weapons get added, older weapons should be made easier to obtain for new players.

8 hours ago, (XBOX)Ampathetiic said:

I enjoy playing the game but I need things to work towards.

So you want to spend your time giving items to players that erodes their list of things to work towards and gets them to the same place as you with nothing left to work on?

I mean I get it, I'm also kind of out of things to do and I like helping players too. I obtained and gave away Ignis Wraith BPs to new players even though I'm a solo clan that didn't have it in my dojo. But that was a special case and just giving a bunch of other weapons like that takes things off their goal list. Help them run missions where the stuff drops instead.

6 hours ago, SpicyDinosaur said:

It would also give a few more avenues of plat gain, as well.

Ah, so in your case you just want to shift newer players onto grinds for other items and sitting in the trade chat cesspool or buying plat outright instead of playing the game towards those weapons. Instead of the different locales where they drop, they'll play less missions over and over hoping to get items worth platinum to drop until they join the ranks of people that complain that the game is boring because "all you do is grind".

4 minutes ago, Hobie-wan said:

So you want to spend your time giving items to players that erodes their list of things to work towards and gets them to the same place as you with nothing left to work on?

I mean I get it, I'm also kind of out of things to do and I like helping players too. I obtained and gave away Ignis Wraith BPs to new players even though I'm a solo clan that didn't have it in my dojo. But that was a special case and just giving a bunch of other weapons like that takes things off their goal list. Help them run missions where the stuff drops instead.

They have more than enough items to work on getting even if I gave them every weapon I listed in the OP. Considering how many people drop the game before they get to the harsher grinds, I think it's pretty helpful to give them the occasional freebie that makes them feel good. If they really care so much about pursuing that item on their list (which they don't actually care about), they can just not take the trade.

6 minutes ago, (PSN)jaggerwanderer said:

I would be against it. Only because many will see it as mastery fodder. Not to mention most of the weapon listed are RNG base. There's other stuff to gain from farming the mode those weapons comes from.

All of these points apply to items that are already tradeable, such as Carmine Penta, Spectra Vandal, Arum Spinosa, or any invasion weapon. I'd argue that a weapon being RNG based is more of a reason to add a guaranteed way to get the weapon, while I'd also argue that something being considered "MR fodder" means that most players aren't going to engage with the process of getting it anyway, so making it tradeable is only positive.

You have to remember that certain game mode needs reward for players to engage in them. It really becomes barren when players avoid those nodes after getting their desirable reward. Conjunction Survival is an example. Making certain weapons from the drop table tradable will just cause new players to never jump into the node at all. Yeah it's a problem DE can't solve. How does one convince players to play a game mode for no gain other than to do the activity?

12 hours ago, Hobie-wan said:

Ah, so in your case you just want to shift newer players onto grinds for other items and sitting in the trade chat cesspool or buying plat outright instead of playing the game towards those weapons. Instead of the different locales where they drop, they'll play less missions over and over hoping to get items worth platinum to drop until they join the ranks of people that complain that the game is boring because "all you do is grind".

That's a lot of assumptions about my motivation. Personally, I don't use trade chat, I use warframe.market and direct anyone towards it that asks or wants to buy or sell. Having the option to farm the weapon using relics for the plat they are being sold for instead of the weapon farm itself isn't all that different. Some of those weapons are a nightmare to farm. But I don't expect new players to be buying these weapons, anyway. There are so many weapons that give mastery or are worth building that aren't on that list. I actually wonder what the minimum MR for each of those weapons is, and if it is even viable to worry about "new players" with them.

As someone who has been playing for many years and has earned all the plat I have had in more recent years from selling on warframe.market, (along with pet sales,) not only have there been items that would have been more painful to grind that I was happy to pay plat for, I have also sold items that others found painful to grind. I do not feel like this exchange is insidious, selling or buying with plat is not somehow a selfish act.

I think you are seeing shadows where there are none.

1 hour ago, (PSN)jaggerwanderer said:

You have to remember that certain game mode needs reward for players to engage in them. It really becomes barren when players avoid those nodes after getting their desirable reward. Conjunction Survival is an example. Making certain weapons from the drop table tradable will just cause new players to never jump into the node at all. Yeah it's a problem DE can't solve. How does one convince players to play a game mode for no gain other than to do the activity?

Actually I continue to do Conj survivals after having gotten everything to get extra arcane blessings to sell on warframe.market. Also, why does any of that matter? Will the game modes feel "neglected" or something?

5 hours ago, (PSN)jaggerwanderer said:

As I said in the OP, new modes like Conjunction Survival or Zariman bounties can remain as they are until the future, but is it really an issue if players can trade Acceltra or Akarius, both of which are low drop chance weapons from a mode that has been out for nearly 4 years? That said, if a mode was only going to be played for untradeable one-and-done rewards like weapons and warframes, that mode is already on a time limit before most people stop playing it, as we've seen numerous times in the past (Infested Salvage and Defection). In contrast, modes that have tradeable rewards (namely arcanes and relics) get more repeat engagement.

Are there any items on the list that you would want to be tradeable, or would every item there negatively impact the game in some way?

Nope none of the items listed I want to be tradable. Not because I have them already or care other are finding it difficult to continue engaging in mind numbing activity just for a chance at getting said item. It's for the simple fact that Digital Extreme made them exist. Because they exist, DE has to put them in a place for players to find them. Carrot on a stick if you will.

The "one and done" game mode has been a prevailing problem for a long time. Arcane exist but no one does Orphix Venom. People rather do Eidolon hunting. A lot of the game modes are engaging. There's stuff to do during those missions. Lots of activity going on for the players to interact with. Players just don't want to be active. 

Archived