Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

HELP Please: Trying to play on PC with my son on switch on same WiFi...

Rebel230

Hello,

I have been trying to figure this out for hours. 

We live in NY, have Verizon FiOS 1 gig service with the CR1000B router and a 3100 extender on the network.

We can both play at the same time with no issues, however we both appear as OFFLINE to each other. He young so I want to group up with him to help him level/ learn etc.

I have tried changing the ports in game on my PC 1st, then his switch and vice versa, no good. 

We were both on the 2.4Ghz band no good

I tried me on the 5Ghz band, hes on 2.4Ghz band no good.

If I will need to mess with router settings, thats fine but I ask you be as specific as you can be. 

Thank you

• Like 3

I have no idea if this could help, but in the Warframe game there is a menu option where you can set the...port?  IP?  I forget, but it will list a pair of 4-digit numbers that your game will try to use when doing internet connection stuff.  You want your game to be using different numbers than your son's game.  I don't know if this will solve your specific issue but it will at the very least address other issues you would have down the line. (source: I play with my spouse)

EDIT: it looks like these options are called Network Ports and they can be found in the normal settings menu under the Gameplay tab.

Edited by (PSN)Unstar

i don't know if the Switch Build has this option, but i assume it does - in the Networking Settings there's an option that selects which Port pairs the game will try to use. if two Computers are trying to use the same pair of Ports, they step on each other. there's like 5 options in the setting. changing either of your Devices to a different one of those settings should improve connectivity a lot.

oh, i'm not the first to mention. anyways, yeah try that first.

I did that also, I tried changing the port pairs on his switch 1st, restart, no good, then my pc, restart no good etc. Its kind of ridiculous. I read somewhere that even though you change the port pairs in game it doesnt actually change them, but I have no idea how to do it in my router

By any chance do you have client isolation or network isolation enabled in Wifi or Untrusted network set in PC firewall ?

For instance I would expect that behavior on my guest Wifi.

I frequently see notices about blocked traffic in my router logs due to attempts to communicate with Private IP addresses e.g. some other players local LAN address instead of their public WAN address.  It makes me think WF first attempts to have clients communicate via local LAN address before resorting to the forwarded WAN ports.

That matters because many routers do not support "hairpin" routing e.g. you can not communicate with your own public IP.

Had this same problem back in the day, not only with same household, but also with a few others in my vicinity. Tried everything, including opening/closing and switching ports, googled every solution known to man, we couldn't find the problem. And we only had this connection problem in warframe. Eventually gave up as it became frustrating. Im sure there's a fix somewhere

@Rebel230 Could you try using something like a lightweight VPN (like Cloudflare WARP) on the PC side and see if that helps any? There might be something with the network topology that is causing conflicts between both PC and Switch having the same public IP, I know this game doesn't tend to handle same household players very well at the same time. I'd make sure UPnP (and its cleanup) is enabled on the CR1000B router (just because it should automatically forward ports per client as necessary). It looks like the 3100 extender does not have its own DHCP assignments from what the user manual tells me, so that should be fine for the main FiOS router to handle but you could try making sure the devices are solely connecting to the router to eliminate that as a point of failure.

If none of those things work, it might help to call your ISP since they're more familiar with the hardware and network infrastructure and could provide more in-depth logging and troubleshooting to help you get things sorted.

if that's no dice... your LAN is configured strangely and Upnp and NAT PMP aren't able to do work correctly. some Network Devices do weird things that can be fixed to abide by standards, some not so much.

"everything else" in the game appearing to work fine can be misleading in a way as the game runs many Relay Servers in every major Region that act as external Routers to aid People that have weird LAN configurations that don't work right.
many other games do something similar to this too - games try to compensate and bandaid for Networking anomalies that Clients have since 99% of the time they aren't going to fix them.

but anyways, that would be the next place i'd look.

Did you try just... relogging?

Being able to communicate with someone who is online but being told he's offline when you try to invite him is a pretty common bug, and that's how I've been resolving it for years.

Edited by sly_squash

22 hours ago, taiiat said:

i don't know if the Switch Build has this option, but i assume it does - in the Networking Settings there's an option that selects which Port pairs the game will try to use. if two Computers are trying to use the same pair of Ports, they step on each other. there's like 5 options in the setting. changing either of your Devices to a different one of those settings should improve connectivity a lot.

oh, i'm not the first to mention. anyways, yeah try that first.

that's not how networking works.

OP, have you tried to just meet up in a relay, group, and  start a mission from there?

3 hours ago, SQLOwns said:

that's not how networking works.

that's how Warframe works.

that's what this Port pair setting is for. the game performs almost all WAN communication in the chosen Port pair, aside from stuff like the Accounting Servers and Et Cetera (direct communication with Digital Extremes).
vfJiyMb.png

Edited by taiiat

OK So I tried the cloudflare warp, and did what you suggested and went to a relay and had him goto a relay. I was able to see him and group with him. I am not able to add him as a friend as it says we play on different platforms but I was able to help me run some missions on earth. Thank you for the help.

On a side note, is cloudflare safe to use?

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Rebel230 said:

OK So I tried the cloudflare warp, and did what you suggested and went to a relay and had him goto a relay. I was able to see him and group with him. I am not able to add him as a friend as it says we play on different platforms but I was able to help me run some missions on earth. Thank you for the help.

On a side note, is cloudflare safe to use?

at this current time, differing Platforms can't add each other as Friends, that's normal. you have to either Matchmake together or manually invite each other with their full Usernames.

Cloudflare is primarily a DDoS protection Company, they protect like 2/3 of the entire Internet, thesedays. they also offer some other Services like a VPN, some DNS Servers, Et Cetera.
they haven't as of Today given us reason to not trust them, we have lots of reason to like them currently, they seem to want to do what makes the World better and what is ethically correct.
but ofcourse, as any major Company we should be closely scrutinizing what they do, not fully trusting even if we seem to have lots of reason to trust them.
i like Cloudflare as a Company at this current point in time, but i always wonder, yaknow'.

3 hours ago, Rebel230 said:

I was able to see him and group with him. I am not able to add him as a friend as it says we play on different platforms

We should be hearing more news about crossplay at Tennocon. So maybe then we'll know more about cross progression, friending, dojos, and if or when those might happen. You'll just need to manually invite them to group each time. Maybe drop the "/invite mysonsgamename" command into a text file on your PC so that you can copy and paste it into your chat window easily when you fire up the game.

Not sure if Switch allows spaces. If it does you might need to do /invite "my sons name" with the quote marks.

The deal with the #123 that was added onto people when you look at a profile is still a bit unclear to me. I've seen stuff saying you need to add that when doing stuff, but I know I've invited people via text in the chat window without needing the number. So you might add that if it's not working.

Hi,

I have done this.

Right now is not completely linked so your son cannot be added as friend.

But you chat and whisper to his account name and then you can the right click it to invite him.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Moonhowlprime

• Like 1