Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

You guys played The First Descendant yet? How is it?

Amolistic.

• 4 weeks later...

It is a lot of grind (just like Warframe), but they are missing some key components. Like:

• Clans
  • Ability to sell/trade in duplicates
  • text chat needs an upgrade (scroll speed)

But it is new and different, so it has appeal. 

To be honest i gave it a shot and installed it. I played for 30 minutes and uninstalled. The content was super confusing too much information thrown at my face all at once, but the cosmetics were super simple though and frankly it looks nothing more than a cash grab. 1/10

From what I've seen and heard from other's who've tried it: it's the game for burnt out WF players to realize how much better they had it in WF.

It's got more grind, higher prices for less content, and a worse story. But the real kicker is it's owned by Nexon and has two kernel level anti cheats for no reason.

Honestly if you want to play something other than WF just go play Destiny. If you want something more "anime" then go play PSO. Don't go wasting time on this trash.

• Like 1

I like playing both WF and TFD. 

IGN gave it 5/10, such a rough nasty review.

However, this is the best, poorly reviewed game I enjoyed so far and probably robbed meself of having the pleasure of digesting the world of Albion if I believed what I read.

I mean, at least spend real time on it, before casting "expert" reviews 😆.

Edited by Alpha_Tango

I played quite a bit and I'm probably just going to get the last 3 achievements and stop.

Fashion is pretty limited and the prices for the skins aren't really worth it especially with the endgame being a bit bland and grindy, duh, but not enjoyable to do with the abysmal drop rates, having to repeat the same mission for void shards then farming the amorphous material THEN fighting the bosses for a chance to get the part you want it just gets pretty stale quickly.

5/10 doesn't seem that far fetched for the IGN review even if these reviewers probably only played the first area then dropped it

Edited by C11H22O1

37 minutes ago, C11H22O1 said:

I played quite a bit and I'm probably just going to get the last 3 achievements and stop.

Fashion is pretty limited and the prices for the skins aren't really worth it especially with the endgame being a bit bland and grindy, duh, but not enjoyable to do with the abysmal drop rates, having to repeat the same mission for void shards then farming the amorphous material THEN fighting the bosses for a chance to get the part you want it just gets pretty stale quickly.

5/10 doesn't seem that far fetched for the IGN review even if these reviewers probably only played the first area then dropped it

Can't blame you. I just got my first mushroom drop after 200+ hours. 

The game is a marathon not a sprint. There are players who thrive under such harsh grindfest. I guess I am one such player. 

It falls to preferences. I don't care for fashion and really don't mind the AM/shard/boss grind because I don't target farm and move on to other stuff when it fails. Can't put it down when every upgrades results to better chances to farm harder content. Totally addictive gameplay and challenging to boot.

I got seven Descendants so far as F2P and the game is barely even a month old.

Like other new games, this one stilll has a lot of time to improve. I plan to stop too as soon as 1999 starts. Let it mature more and see wbat happens. Trading is a key feature i am waiting for.

Whats to lose? I got free time to spend and it is free. It's greedy market is only for impatient players. I grind because it is suppose to be a grind.

P.S. IGN is ign. I played it and give it a solid 7/10. Pretty respectable start for a newbie.

Edited by Alpha_Tango

• 2 weeks later...

I have a little over 400 hrs in TFD now. It does a lot right, but it does fall short in many areas Warframe nails.

Pros:
Boss fights with raid-like mechanics (easier than Destiny raids mechanically, but bullet sponges w/10min timer)

Weapons actually feel unique. Warframe does a good job of this, but most of the weapons in TFD have a unique debuff/buff they apply, explosion aoe effect, some crazy synergy with a specific character, etc. They just seem like they MATTER more than guns in Warframe.

It's NEW (for those of us who have already experienced most of what other looter shooters have to offer content-wise)

Character Design? - I'm not really a huge fan of the egregious horny bait, but to each his own

Cons:

Drop rates are abysmal. I mean ABYSMAL. (LONG explanation inc.) Virtually every weapon/character in the game is locked behind a relic system called "Amorphous Material Patterns". In beta, this functioned similarly to relics in Warframe. If you had a team of 4 people and they all opened a relic, the group could choose between the 4 rewards obtained by the group. They entirely removed that feature, and now all loot drops are "personal loot". The drop chance of most highly-sought-after characters is 6-10%. In order to obtain some of the "relics", you have to do specific stealth-type missions that only 1 character in the game can do - so youre obligated to farm her first (Sharen). Once you have Sharen, you do a stealth mission and have a 5-20% chance to get the relic. Once you have the relic, you now have to grind a SEPARATE material called Void Shards in order to launch the mission where you open the "relic". Each mission that rewards these Void Shards must be completed 2-3 times (on the highest difficulty) in order to launch the "relic-opening" mission. The relic-opening mission is an open world miniboss with a boring copy/paste design whose only difficulty is how much HP it has (and you have limited ammo). In order to craft 1 descendant, you have to craft 3 prerequisite parts, similar to Warframe, but the "blueprint" to craft the final character is also a drop, so you're farming for 4 things total. Quick maths - 1 character = 4 parts x 10% chance x 1bossfight x 2-3 void shard missions x 5-20 recon missions. it takes 5-20 recon missions to get the relic ONCE. you need 10 or more relics PER PIECE. so 50-200 recons for ONE piece. 200-800 per character, THEN you have to factor add the void shard missions, but oh wait - you need SPECIFIC characters (tied to elements like fire, electric, cold dmg, etc) to complete the void shard missions, so you might have to go farm those characters first (or, ya know, just buy them in the cash shop). THEN you get to go farm the materials required to craft the character parts - turns out, half of them only drop from a SINGLE enemy in a specific dungeon-type mission, and you need 50-150 of that ONE material. I like grindy games, but this one is absolutely insane. It's very clear that they're creating a problem and selling the solution (did I mention that all of the good characters in the game cost SEVENTY DOLLARS? for ONE CHARACTER?), so if you expect to play free2play, or even just spend a reasonable, non-whale amount of money on the game, just be ready to grind til your eyes bleed.

There is no room for build diversity or testing. Once you have a character, you cannot craft a 2nd copy of that character. Once you forma that character to fit your mods in (you have to forma EVERY slot for a full build in most cases), you're stuck with those polarities. You can't change them in different configs, and the mods in that game ALL have a capacity cost similar to Primed mods. Imagine building out a warframe build, but ALL the mods are umbral. That's the game.

The multiplayer experience is very limited. There are no guilds, no leaderboards, no trading. You will encounter up to 3 other players at a time while doing missions, similar to warframe, but these are all in small "open-world" areas containing multiple missions, so once that space has 4 players, it's full. And you might all be doing different missions. Additionally, pugs can ruin your stealth runs for the aforementioned Amorphic Material Patterns by just getting close to an enemy and alerting them, so you're encouraged to do all those missions in a private instance. It's also faster to load into dungeons, etc, in private, so you'll end up doing them alone to shave time off the insane grind.

Customization is non existent without steady microtransactions. Dyes are SINGLE use and you CANNOT dye characters at all without buying a skin for them in the cash shop (there are a very few select exceptions to this via the battle pass system, but they only apply to the 3 starter characters you can choose from when you start the game).

Take this review with a grain of salt, as I am quickly approaching burnout. I have always enjoyed getting new weapons and frames in WF when they release. I always try to stay at the max available mastery rank (minus founder items), etc. But despite learning effective farming strategies, strategically going after items/characters that can cut down the time required to farm materials, minmaxing builds, etc, I have only unlocked the TFD equivalent of TWO Prime Warframes in over 400 hours (Ultimate Bunny and Ultimate Gley - the former is indisputably the best in the game at AOE clear/farming. The latter is one of the best for single target boss DPS). They are trying WAY too hard to convince people to just give up the grind and spend the cost of an entire AAA game on a single character, then another 20 bucks making them virtually naked. The only thing I find fun in the game anymore is playing with new weps/characters, but for every minute I spend learning a new character/wep, I have to spend hours grinding very boring, repetitive tasks with little-to-no social interaction.

TL;DR - The game is a good STARTING point and is worth checking out if you're running out of compelling content to tackle in other games. The characters are decently designed, the weapons feel good, and when one character or farming method excels too much at something, instead of nerfing it into the ground, they just tame it down a little bit (if absolutely necessary), and increase the power or efficiency of other characters/farms to be comparable. That being said, Warframe in its current state is a thousand times better than TFD for anyone that doesn't want to spend a thousand dollars playing Hentaiframe. Theres not really that much to do in the game once you finish the main campaign (30-50hrs if you take your time) other than replay pieces of the campaign a thousand times to grind an item you want, or spend a ridiculous sum of money to unlock a new character to play. My recommendation is: bury your wallet in a hole outside, download the game, play through story and see if you like it, finish story if you do, then quit and go back to Warframe/Destiny/other games until TFD either releases more content, adds trading, or significantly improves drop rates. (you can now safely dig your wallet back up).

Edited by Destroyalty
  • Like 2

It has a lot of potential. But it isn't quite Warframe. I wouldn't say the art style is generic. It is just typically how Asian people look minus the big curves most of the time lol. If this is generic most photorealistic games are lol

But gameplay wise it's not bad, but unless you are fighting a boss the gameplay feels kind of I don't know, off. I guess I got used to the heavy feel of certain weapons in Warframe. Descendants just feels kind of floating at times. As for it killing anything, Warframe is fine bc it isn't a looter shooter outside mods. Destiny 2 does a good job on it's own killing itself. I hate the publisher. But the game seems like it can develop it's own following it does stuff right. Sad the devs gave it to nexon.

On 2024-08-07 at 3:23 AM, Destroyalty said:

The only thing I find fun in the game anymore is playing with new weps/characters, but for every minute I spend learning a new character/wep, I have to spend hours grinding very boring, repetitive tasks with little-to-no social interaction.

This.

This game needs to find better ways to level up characters/weapons because the current content does not provide enough sensible areas to gain xp while trying to enjoy the game.   

On 2024-08-07 at 8:23 PM, Destroyalty said:

They are trying WAY too hard to convince people to just give up the grind and spend the cost of an entire AAA game on a single character, then another 20 bucks making them virtually naked.

Brain dead consumers strike again, I guess people really do get the products they deserve.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2024-08-25 at 7:58 AM, KroneVanguard said:

Now I understand why Warframes will suddenly have human faces. 🙂

Ah yes because of a game that launched after 1999 was revealed. And not because players have been fan arting that since launch, DE effectively cannonized it with Umbra, and that's how it worked back in Dark Sector.

Nope, definitely because of this fan service filled security risk mascarading as a game. 

• Like 1

In my opinion TFD is a decent enough game, but there are so many things that make me go "why would they decide to do that?"

Void shards are activities where you destroy a stationary thing using only abilities.  Ok, fine.  You can also only damage them with abilities of the right element.  Again, fine.  There are 2 electric characters, 3 fire, 1 each toxin and ice, and eight characters that are non-elemental.  Why on earth are you doing element matching activities when your spread of elements is so terrible?  Especially when you cannot get rewards at all with a mismatched element even if you help kill the enemies that also appear.

There's a guy in the hub that buys and sells weapons.  Fine.  He literally only ever sells 3 blue weapons, and 3 blue fire reactors, all at level 1.  Why does he even exist?  The gear he sells is outclassed the instant you start the game, and the money he gives you for selling is laughable.

When you login you are presented with the occasional notification (new content, don't be a jerk, join us on social media, etc).  You can dismiss these messages once, for the rest of the day.  You cannot dismiss them permanently.  So every day you need to dismiss the same "Join us on social media!" even if you may have already joined them.  Why?  This isn't a new notification, it's the same thing every day.  Just let us permanently dismiss them.

When you research (craft) something, they have to show you at minimum a full screen display of the item when you retrieve it.  Yes, thank you, I crafted a basic item.  That is very much worthy of taking over the entire screen for a short period.  If it's an ultimate they also throw in something like a (skippable) 20 second animation.

By default interact is the same button as jump (on consoles), meaning that in the heat of battle you'll regularly see two or three people jumping up and down furiously as they try and pickup the important item.  This also means that if you're not trying to pick it up, but instead just jump because you're under heavy fire, you might actually end up not being able to jump because the item eats your jump.  Why?  Everyone else defaults to reload, why did they go with jump?

Some "operations" involve laser jumping puzzles.  Unfortunately the game's movement system doesn't totally mesh with something like that, especially when it's dodging lasers and platforming.  The lasers also incur knockback, enough that in some situations you can hit one laser, only to get bounced into a dozen more.  Fortunately they are nice enough to turn the lasers off once one person makes it through.  Except they're not.  There's zero consistency in disabling lasers.  The corridor where you had to evade 4 slow moving laser hazards?  That one gets disabled.  The area where you have to jump between 10 platforms over a bottomless pit that sends you back to start if you miss one jump?  Nah.  Everyone's got to do that one on their own because lol.

If you go down in a mission your mates have a chance to revive you.  If they don't, you still respawn as long as the mission lives pool isn't depleted.  Unfortunately, you respawn exactly where you died, ready to get insta killed because you also can't move for like 3 seconds after reviving, and during that time you can absolutely take damage.  I've been killed, revived, and killed again before my character stood upWHY???  At least respawn the player somewhere "safe", or give them a brief period of invulnerability!

This ended up being a lot longer than I intended.  Now, all of these are annoying, and some can be mitigated or just ignored.  None of them are game breaking though, but it does make one wonder about the design process and how the game has released with so many little burrs that just snag on you mentally and (in game) physically.  Some things are getting fixed.  Like originally you couldn't favorite an equipped item.  So, they are paying attention to a degree.

Edited by (PSN)Lollybomb

On 2024-08-29 at 8:40 PM, trst said:

Ah yes because of a game that launched after 1999 was revealed. And not because players have been fan arting that since launch, DE effectively cannonized it with Umbra, and that's how it worked back in Dark Sector.

Nope, definitely because of this fan service filled security risk mascarading as a game. 

I like the Asian style. For them, characters have to be beautiful and enjoyable to look at. They know what is attractive and appealing and they give it to you without looking for excuses. They don't care about making weird original monsters with chicken legs, without feet etc... Even the enemies are beautiful in their own way. And if you're looking for a big armored guy, he's there and he's cool.

• Like 4

On 2024-08-07 at 6:23 AM, Destroyalty said:

They are trying WAY too hard to convince people to just give up the grind and spend the cost of an entire AAA game on a single character

Prime Access packs exist, with exclusive cosmetics, in a game where people regularly say "fashion frame is endgame." F2P devs gonna F2P.