Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Adaptative Overguard, a healthy replacement to Damage Attenuation

lukinu_u

1 hour ago, lukinu_u said:

If you did, adapting your loadout to a certain threat should take about 2-3min at max without considerably affecting your performance.

More like half a minute, if that. Depending on how drastic the shift is in terms of loadout and level, maybe a minute, but it doesn’t take long to adjust.

It can take longer to search the loadout selection than to swap some mods or gear around, but it does depend on familiarity with the equipment in question, personal capability, and familiarity with the content. Certainly not as big a deal as most players who stick to one loadout all the time would have you believe

Edited by (NSW)Greybones

2 hours ago, lukinu_u said:

And that's exactly the reason rules should rotates, to reward players for understanding and mastering all game mechanics.

If you can only use one loadout for the game, why would you bother learning and understanding the rest. I mean, yes you do "for fun", but there is no fun challenge when you can just cheat at any point by swapping, especially when there is long farm involved.

this doesn't... reward us for anything, though. if the game says "Crit Mods are weaker, cuz", then we type on a Calculator for a few Seconds and pick the next strongest Mods instead.

there's no discovery here, because the game is telling you what's getting weaker. to actually do what you're saying you're wanting, it would have to be hidden - but i'm obviously not asking for that because we have enough terrible stuff like that as is, where we have to reverse engineer the game with Weeks of testing to figure out how things actually operate.

instead this is just adding hassle of swapping stuff in your Arsenal. it's not the end of the World, but it really doesn't actually add anything of value, either. it's just change for the sake of change.

Yes this how it's designed right now, and it's a problem.
Improving that is the whole point of this topic, and issues in the current system shouldn't be considered as something to keep, since they are... the issues that need a solution XD

don't look at me mang, they're the one that said the Content is supposed to be something - but it's supposed to be whatever it exactly is, whatever something is, by extension is how it's supposed to be. that's all we know about something, and actions speak louder than Words too, so what actually ships into the game speaks louder than any potential Vocal expression by Digital Extremes about what they say they want. 

The idea here is not diversity in how every person play, but diversity in what equipment is useful to avoid a boring single meta. Avoiding a static meta by constantly changing the rules in the only way to reward people that do understand the game, and this is what endgame should be.

the game does FOTM rotation fine as it is through its infinite Gear Ladder of adding new stuff. Warframe already has the LoL Business Model in place that you're looking for - new stuff added on a regular basis, to rotate the Gear around in an infinite circle in order to drive Monetization for acquiring that stuff.

Warframe is already built that way from top to bottom as is, and has been since Update 1.

You will probably not like this, but the only reason you feel like it's an annoyance is most likely because you do not understand the game that well and aren't ready to face every situation. If you did, adapting your loadout to a certain threat should take about 2-3min at max without considerably affecting your performance.
If the above is not the case for you, you are just not ready for it and it's ok because everyone have to learn, and you have a whole week to prepare (in case of Archons).

get over yourself - i like using things that i find enjoyable, and stacking as many Mechanics as i can. i don't need to be pushed to find interesting ideas, be creative, and independently consider choices on my own - if you do, that's your skill issue honey, not mine.
if you have an existential crisis or something, that's not my responsibility.

Il y a 18 heures, (NSW)Greybones a dit :

More like half a minute, if that. Depending on how drastic the shift is in terms of loadout and level, maybe a minute, but it doesn’t take long to adjust.

It can take longer to search the loadout selection than to swap some mods or gear around, but it does depend on familiarity with the equipment in question, personal capability, and familiarity with the content. Certainly not as big a deal as most players who stick to one loadout all the time would have you believe

I said 2-3 min at max, to emphasis the worst case scenario, but yeah as you mentionned, it's often much less.

Il y a 17 heures, taiiat a dit :

this doesn't... reward us for anything, though. if the game says "Crit Mods are weaker, cuz", then we type on a Calculator for a few Seconds and pick the next strongest Mods instead.

there's no discovery here, because the game is telling you what's getting weaker. to actually do what you're saying you're wanting, it would have to be hidden - but i'm obviously not asking for that because we have enough terrible stuff like that as is, where we have to reverse engineer the game with Weeks of testing to figure out how things actually operate.

instead this is just adding hassle of swapping stuff in your Arsenal. it's not the end of the World, but it really doesn't actually add anything of value, either. it's just change for the sake of change.

Some conditions can actually encourage different playstyles and reward the mastery of these, here are a few examples :

• Headshots only : Encourage fairly accurate weapons and matching gameplay OR extremly close range gameplay with higher DPS that partly headshot.
  • Physical/Elemental damage only : A lot of weapons rely on their base damage distribution (including added element) shift the power of weapons a lot and influence your choice a lot. This is also true for abilities that do often do one damage and elemental buffs.
  • No critical multipler (the one you mentioned) : encourage weapons/modding that don't rely on crit while also reducing the max benefit of headshots, which can shifts the way you chose to mod and play.

In short, it's not simply about swapping but, but about swapping weapons and adapting your whole playstyle around it for maximum efficiency. If you don't understand that, I have nothing more to say.

don't look at me mang, they're the one that said the Content is supposed to be something - but it's supposed to be whatever it exactly is, whatever something is, by extension is how it's supposed to be. that's all we know about something, and actions speak louder than Words too, so what actually ships into the game speaks louder than any potential Vocal expression by Digital Extremes about what they say they want. 

Ok let me give you a comparison :
Someone make a joke and no one laught. Was the joke supposed to be funny ? Probably but it's not, because he messed up the joke.

The exact same applies to this. It's supposed to be some endgame challenging content but it's not, for the exact same reason. And if you ask "who said it was supposed to be challenging content ?", my answer is : They decided to make a mission with the highest level enemies in the game (ignoring endless), prevent the use of revive, make some boss with adaptative damage reduction that prevent all strong builds to perform normally, rewarding unique endgame optimisation rewards, all unlocked after doing a serie of quests that conclude the big first story ark of the gamea after 10 years. So yes, obviously it's supposed to be more challenging than the rest of the game.

Their vision of "challenging" might be different, but it is supposed to be a challenge and you can't deny that.

the game does FOTM rotation fine as it is through its infinite Gear Ladder of adding new stuff. Warframe already has the LoL Business Model in place that you're looking for - new stuff added on a regular basis, to rotate the Gear around in an infinite circle in order to drive Monetization for acquiring that stuff.

Warframe is already built that way from top to bottom as is, and has been since Update 1.

It does and that's a big problem. People are interested in getting the lastest stuff because of this, and the older stuff being left behind which isn't a good business model because you spend less time playing the game for a simple reason that nothing is worth your time.
If everything has it's use for different pieces of content, everything picks your interest for different reasons and this exactly the reason "FOTM" rotation is trash and should be avoided at all cost in favor of a fun experience that depend purely on your choices and progression, rather than the current meta.

get over yourself - i like using things that i find enjoyable, and stacking as many Mechanics as i can. i don't need to be pushed to find interesting ideas, be creative, and independently consider choices on my own - if you do, that's your skill issue honey, not mine.
if you have an existential crisis or something, that's not my responsibility.

Yeah you don't, but where is the fun ? A video game has the power to put some set rules on the player to create a challenge, so why would you have to make said challenge yourself ? To me, it's the exact same thing as playing a game where you are immortal, but pretend you lose when you get hit and restart yourself, it just makes no sense.

It's your opinion on the subject and I won't change it, but I really want to understand because it's seems like a common perspective from mostly PvE players. I really don't understand how providing some addtional challenge for those who want it is harmful for the rest of the population, aside from said challenge being things they can't complete, but it's a challenge they don't even want in first place, so they just have to ignore it.

Edit : My point on that last part (and the initial topic) is : Challenge can be ignored if you don't want to do it, but the lack of challenge cannot, so why not provide challenge for everyone to be happy ?

Edited by lukinu_u

3 hours ago, lukinu_u said:

Some conditions can actually encourage different playstyles and reward the mastery of these, here are a few examples :

• Headshots only : Encourage fairly accurate weapons and matching gameplay OR extremly close range gameplay with higher DPS that partly headshot.
  • Physical/Elemental damage only : A lot of weapons rely on their base damage distribution (including added element) shift the power of weapons a lot and influence your choice a lot. This is also true for abilities that do often do one damage and elemental buffs.
  • No critical multipler (the one you mentioned) : encourage weapons/modding that don't rely on crit while also reducing the max benefit of headshots, which can shifts the way you chose to mod and play.

In short, it's not simply about swapping but, but about swapping weapons and adapting your whole playstyle around it for maximum efficiency. If you don't understand that, I have nothing more to say.

random buffs would always feel better. a Mechanic is suddenly significantly better is more interesting than "most of the Mechanics don't work". one of these encourages experimentation, the other is just antagonistic. 

3 hours ago, lukinu_u said:

Their vision of "challenging" might be different, but it is supposed to be a challenge and you can't deny that.

the only part i'd notice is Respawns disabled. otherwise i don't see what is supposed to be 'challenging', it's just sorta something to do for lategame Players, Content. 
though, scuffed Content since most of the Game Mechanics are disabled, refer to antagonistic design again.

4 hours ago, lukinu_u said:

It does and that's a big problem. People are interested in getting the lastest stuff because of this, and the older stuff being left behind which isn't a good business model because you spend less time playing the game for a simple reason that nothing is worth your time.

if it wasn't working out well Financially, i'm sure they wouldn't be doing it. it's very profitable.

4 hours ago, lukinu_u said:

Yeah you don't, but where is the fun ? A video game has the power to put some set rules on the player to create a challenge, so why would you have to make said challenge yourself ?

i pick different stuff because it plays differently, and it's interesting to use different stuff sometimes. i do have my """go to""" Loadout so to speak, where i have about as many of the Mechanics i like all jammed together at once as i can - but it has not that much to do with whether Overframe says it's good, it has to do with "i like these things and i'm going to make them work". game gives us enough options to do so thesedays.

stuff that People say is bad isn't even really exactly. like uh, idk, Ember. if you Subsume Fireball to add one of the things that's sorely missing (something for real CC, like Airburst, Coil Horizon, Et Cetera), that lets you take advantage of stacking AoE's which is kinda neat. 
or whatever, they keep adding new Mods or Arcanes or whatever that lets you adjust your Loadouts to get, i guess you could say, "that not meta stuff" to continue to be better.
if that stuff can be made good enough to be competent, then it's all working. the Players that only ask Content Creators for "tell me what to use" aren't even looking for variety/diversity, infact if you force it on them they are more likely to complain that it's too hard or something, rather than actually embrace it.

just wrap it back up into antagonistic design is, well, antagonistic, rather than encouraging. 

5 hours ago, lukinu_u said:

I said 2-3 min at max, to emphasis the worst case scenario, but yeah as you mentionned, it's often much less.

? You often sound like the players you’re trying to get to engage with the game who are actively avoiding doing so; isn’t the point of the topic trying to re-do some of the game’s mechanics in order to force you to play at least a little bit of it? I’m mildly surprised to hear that you have an idea of how long it takes to adjust your gear according to what you’re fighting and what you’re using and how you want to play, as I was under the impression that that 2-3 minutes was what other players who stick to what they can fit into their loadout manager told you

1 hour ago, taiiat said:

random buffs would always feel better. a Mechanic is suddenly significantly better is more interesting than "most of the Mechanics don't work". one of these encourages experimentation, the other is just antagonistic. 

The game already has plenty of encouragement using bonuses; things like the Archon bonuses or Arbitration bonuses let someone take a favoured build that may not work in that content into said content.

That does require having an alternative build that may not fit in the content even if it finds its place elsewhere, though, which not many players bother with, so the bonuses become mostly redundant except as an additional bit of overkill in survival/damage. Kind of like with the Lohk shrines, or those wall latch spots on Lua, or anything that benefits the player in the mission becoming mostly redundant excessive boosts

1 hour ago, (NSW)Greybones said:

The game already has plenty of encouragement using bonuses; things like the Archon bonuses or Arbitration bonuses let someone take a favoured build that may not work in that content into said content.

That does require having an alternative build that may not fit in the content even if it finds its place elsewhere, though, which not many players bother with, so the bonuses become mostly redundant except as an additional bit of overkill in survival/damage. Kind of like with the Lohk shrines, or those wall latch spots on Lua, or anything that benefits the player in the mission becoming mostly redundant excessive boosts

and those bonuses don't even matter anyways, because of so many of the Game Mechanics being disabled there! so the Equipment buffs for Archon Hunts does nothing. 
buuuuuuuuut, if most of the Game Mechanics weren't disabled, then wow, those buffs could actually work and be cool! :^)

23 minutes ago, taiiat said:

and those bonuses don't even matter anyways, because of so many of the Game Mechanics being disabled there! so the Equipment buffs for Archon Hunts does nothing. 
buuuuuuuuut, if most of the Game Mechanics weren't disabled, then wow, those buffs could actually work and be cool! :^)

They still elevate alternative builds that involve things like weapons with more customisation for better-feeling gameplay, which is kind of the point of the bonuses since power comes with a literal cost in slots and capacity and more power = less customisation or alternative building options (and part of what makes higher-level content harder is how much needs to be sacrificed to engage with it), and the bonuses let those more-custom builds now stand toe-to-toe against content that they normally wouldn’t perform adequately in.

In the case of Archon Hunts and its damage attenuation though, it can be a little tricky to identify even what that baseline level of Enough Damage (survival is a little more straightforward) is meant to be, and thus makes it harder to determine how Damage Attenuation will impact a build after the bonuses are applied

edit: 🤔 Though a thought just occured to me, and maybe the preceeding missions can be used as a sort of measuring stick since they’re roughly the same level. Hm…. maybe the appropriate amount of damage can be figured out….

Edited by (NSW)Greybones

58 minutes ago, taiiat said:

I’m not entirely certain what you mean by game mechanics being disabled though. There’s a few things like abilities and their impact being nullified/reduced, which is annoying, but I wouldn’t say most of the game mechanics are disabled…?

Edited by (NSW)Greybones

2 hours ago, (NSW)Greybones said:

I’m not entirely certain what you mean by game mechanics being disabled though. There’s a few things like abilities and their impact being nullified/reduced, which is annoying, but I wouldn’t say most of the game mechanics are disabled…?

the key feature for Archon Hunts is the Archon itself ofcourse, and most of the Game Mechanics as far as dealing Damage (which again, is basically the entire Content piece) are functionally disabled. when it's like -95 to -99% from normal, those Stats aren't that important anymore. 😁
whether you have or don't have them becomes not that significant at that point. so yno, a Weapon having a +300% base Damage.... well, that won't really change anything, Et Cetera.

14 minutes ago, taiiat said:

the key feature for Archon Hunts is the Archon itself ofcourse, and most of the Game Mechanics as far as dealing Damage (which again, is basically the entire Content piece) are functionally disabled. when it's like -95 to -99% from normal, those Stats aren't that important anymore. 😁
whether you have or don't have them becomes not that significant at that point. so yno, a Weapon having a +300% base Damage.... well, that won't really change anything, Et Cetera.

I’m not sure I follow. You’ll still need to deal some amount of damage not only to the Archon but also any adds that don’t have DA, so damage boost abilities combined with damage mods are still applicable, and then any bonuses to weapons will elevate weapon builds that focus on something other than damage from the content they would originally find themselves in.

If you’re building way beyond the content and for something higher-level and are being squashed back due to DA, the amount of damage was already redundant…? As long as the damage is sufficient (which DA does make it difficult to identify what “Sufficient” due to its mercurial nature), whether through abilities or bonuses or mods or any combination, that’s when someone can stop building for damage and use whatever space and capacity or whatever’s leftover for something else because any excess damage is unnecessary. It’s how the rest of the game works

Edited by (NSW)Greybones

Il y a 14 heures, (NSW)Greybones a dit :

? You often sound like the players you’re trying to get to engage with the game who are actively avoiding doing so; isn’t the point of the topic trying to re-do some of the game’s mechanics in order to force you to play at least a little bit of it? I’m mildly surprised to hear that you have an idea of how long it takes to adjust your gear according to what you’re fighting and what you’re using and how you want to play, as I was under the impression that that 2-3 minutes was what other players who stick to what they can fit into their loadout manager told you

Oh right I see how it's confusing but le me explain.
Interacting with the game doesn't mean spending time in doing so, what count is the thinking process, decisions you take and how your experience/skill affect that.

Here is one example :

• Shooting a bullet sponge that doesn't move for 30min straight isn't engaging, even tho it takes time.
  • Shooting a small weakspot on a fast target to one shot is engaging as it stimulate your aiming capability, but can be faster depending on how good you aim.

In my opinion, any good mechanic should encourage the fast and engaging mechanic, for the thing to be fun to master, but not boring on the long term when you do master them. Modding is one of them, it can take time to learn, understand and think about on the instant, but if you know exactly what you're doing it should only take a few clicks in a few seconds. The duration doesn't matter, since it requires a whole thinking process that leads to the same result, just in a different amount of time.

35 minutes ago, lukinu_u said:

Oh right I see how it's confusing but le me explain.
Interacting with the game doesn't mean spending time in doing so, what count is the thinking process, decisions you take and how your experience/skill affect that.

Here is one example :

• Shooting a bullet sponge that doesn't move for 30min straight isn't engaging, even tho it takes time.
  • Shooting a small weakspot on a fast target to one shot is engaging as it stimulate your aiming capability, but can be faster depending on how good you aim.

In my opinion, any good mechanic should encourage the fast and engaging mechanic, for the thing to be fun to master, but not boring on the long term when you do master them. Modding is one of them, it can take time to learn, understand and think about on the instant, but if you know exactly what you're doing it should only take a few clicks in a few seconds. The duration doesn't matter, since it requires a whole thinking process that leads to the same result, just in a different amount of time.

Makes sense, I guess. Every shift in the loadout or change in content or different playstyle presents a potential new modding puzzle to solve to get to the goal of building for the desired gameplay using the pieces available and what the player wants to use (like what it takes to bring a shielded Frame to a no-shield modifier instead of just relying on Inaros or any other modifier that either causes the player to shift loadout or redesign the current loadout’s builds or just play differently accordingly), with so many permutations that the loadout manager just ends up getting in the way and it can be easier to build from scratch if not just swapping a few mods around

On 2023-09-21 at 3:28 PM, lukinu_u said:

What is commonly referred as "damage attenuation" is a damage resistance that scale based on the DPS received by an enemy to reduce the gap between bad and good loadouts and make the fighting experience more consistent regardless of your level.

Its not the good loadouts. It is the loadouts that can have the potential to one-shot it.

There is absolutely no mention of this system in the game, making it hard to understand if you don't do deep research online. This is completely opposed to the rest of the game where you can simply check the codex and understand stuff very easily (even if a few numbers on the wiki still help).

Patch notes are considered an official resource therefore I don't think it should be considered as unknown just like how I don't consider drop rates that are officially published to be requiring deep research.

Joining the point above, the system is flawed in a way that make certain stats benefitial while completely ignoring some other. This could be a good point if it made sense, but the way it work is unintuitive and does not encourage interesting creative builds. It simply asks you to have as much multishot and critical stats as possible, aka using Kuva Hek (there are alternative, but not much due to the few stats can contribute in a damage increase).

I might touch on this later. Yes bypassing the mechanic through one of these builds is something that I consider is deep research since the actual formula isn't officially published to a wide degree. Which as a result shoehorns all effective strats into them since they bypass the mechanic and everything else is being unfairly punished by the system, including builds of your own design. The way it should be is that is the weapon considered a bossing weapon? A la Kuva Hek or Stropha or Warframe buffing like dps Saryn? If so then it should be one of the most effective methods but not the sole effective method.

On top of being unintuitive and not very interesting to mod around, the lack of helpful stats means most of your arsenal is simply pointless in these fight. Again, this could be interesting but all of these are things all players already use and most likely have maxed already so it doesn't shift the use of warframes/weapons to something less commonly used to make them invest in something different, it just force the already existing meta by killing any alternative.

I'd say this is untrue. It isn't the lack of unhelpful stats. Sure is not being affected by WF abilities and only four status effects makes it considerably tougher than other enemies. But the main culprit is how harsh damage attenuation as its core. It is so harsh that it becomes counts a tps(ticks per second) simulator rather activating a new damage buff to see an increase in dps. Damage buff still shows some dps increase but the problem is the improvements are so minuscule that it isn't considered helpful when it should be.

Due to how the damage reduction is calculated based on previous hits rather than the current one, other players hits (or previous from you) can negatively affect your next hit. This mean you can actually ruin the fight by inflicting more damage, it make no sense and is not interesting at all. The only way shooting at enemies should negatively impact you is some deflected damage back at you, not making your allies deal less damages.

And this is why the bypassing methods sometimes don't work is because it sets in to preventing it from dealing as much damage as it did before it set in.

Adaptative Overguard decay at a fixed rate depending on the target. It determine the maximum intended duration of the fight (ignoring normal health under it, that should exist but be negligible). Due to the fixed decay rate, it means there is a maximum duration to this fight, any damage done reduce said maximum.
The fixed decay mean you can deplete it with 0 damage by just waiting, but if you have trouble dealing damage you most likely have trouble surviving as well, so it's still a tough fight. As for afk-ing, if you are able to casually survive, yes you can afk but you're wasting time by not dealing damage.

And waiting makes this mobile defense iteration number 1,000 No. . . just please no..

Adaptative Overguard is split into Gates. Each gate take 10x less damage than the previous and certain debuffs applies to the way each of them receive (indicated on the screen). The number of gate depend on the target, and the debuffs stacks (for example if the first gate had "no critical hit" and the second have "no ability damage", both would applies on the second Gate and so on).
The possibles debuffs that will occure are visible before starting the mission (on mission screen for Archons, on the Lich/Sister page, etc) and can include :
- No critical multiplier
- One projectile per weapon (to discourage shotguns use)
- Damage is lowered to 1% and increase by 0.25% every shot to 100% (to discourage snipers/encourage fast fire rate)
- No ability damage
- No physical/elemental damage (mutually exclusive)
- Status effects only or no status effects (mutually exclusive)
- Take damage only if corresponding status on (for example, viral damage would only apply while a viral status is on the target)
- Headshot only

No just no. This is beyond absurd. You can't just nullify a bunch of weapons just to publish your alternative idea.

CONCLUSION
Instead of using an adaptative damage reduction to erase the power creep gap, this new system provides a long fight that encourage players to push their limit to reduce said fight duration with exponential investment for a linear outcome. This can sound wild at first, but this a way to reduce the gap while still rewarding invested player in a way that still make it an intense fight.

For me, the intent of the system is fine. The time it takes to do with DA in place takes way too long with the highest tier being way too harsh that it doesn't allow for meaningful buffing to be done. If they simply fixed the systems that bypass it and made it able to completed with a traditional bossing build in a standard amount of time woth damage buffing abilities able to show dps increases on the healthbar rather than ticks I feel like it would be a lot more well received. And it really sucks that it had no changes since its inception for archons.

On 2023-09-25 at 8:04 AM, (NSW)Greybones said:

When it takes 3 seconds for a Max health Inaros to die then no i don't want to waste 2-3 Minutes of Non-Progress, Especially when my progress can just be healed back to full health Nullifying the "Difficulty" part of difficult to just annoying

Example Halo 3 Legendary Scarab without heavy damage to do anything but wait or Restart the entire mission