The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

So, how long have Steam achievements been broken?

Hexerin

As I was booting up the launcher just now, I noticed I've almost got 100% completion. So naturally, I went in to see what I'm missing... and a whole lot of these are things that I've absolutely completed several times over. So obviously, achievements are broken. I'm curious how long that's been the case.

Just to give one example:

7b65b11887c30f165ec65388dd792ff1.png626a4df5870ad17e2b31d782205b098a.png

Also, apparently the ingame achievements also don't work:

75fe56bb8b727f2b52c31a76b641dae9.png

I have most certainly survived nights out there. Many, many times. I was an Eidolon hunter for a good long while there, after all.

Edited by Hexerin

The bug is as old as Steam achievements are for it. Though like all bugs here it's very inconsistent as for who and what achievements it affects.

As for resolving it you could try support (DE or maybe even Steam's), running Steam Achievment Manager (can get you banned from some games for using it), or the tedious but seemingly reliable method of making a new WF account and going after those achievements again.

37 minutes ago, Myscho said:

Since DE add them and they dont bother fixing. Used SAM to fix few

DE can't fix things that they have no control over. Steam only checks if you earned the achievement once and that is when it detects that you got it in-game when the Steam application is properly running. After that it doesn't care and DE Support can't do anything about it other than tell you to go to Steam support which in it's Habitual Defensive crouch will direct you back to DE Support.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, (PSN)Ember_Shade_Rose said:

DE can't fix things that they have no control over. Steam only checks if you earned the achievement once and that is when it detects that you got it in-game when the Steam application is properly running. After that it doesn't care and DE Support can't do anything about it other than tell you to go to Steam support which in it's Habitual Defensive crouch will direct you back to DE Support.

That actually depends on whether or not the game dev just slapped the API on and left it with default settings. It is entirely possible for a game dev to setup the API to check in an ongoing manner, and thus catch any achievements that were missed for any of a variety of reasons (game bug, player was in offline mode, etc etc etc). Examples that I've personally seen (not inclusive of all, just a couple) are:

• Checking when the game is launched (this is primarily only for games that don't have third party accounts)
  • Checking when the player logs into their account (if third party, like Warframe is)
  • Checking all possible achievements whenever a new one is obtained in the game (this is the most common method)
  • Etc

8 hours ago, Hexerin said:

I have most certainly survived nights out there. Many, many times. I was an Eidolon hunter for a good long while there, after all.

But did you stay on the plains before the night started and stayed until it was over? Cause that's how you get that achievement, and not dying of course.

• Like 4

On 10/15/2023 at 3:32 AM, Myscho said:

Since DE add them and they dont bother fixing. Used SAM to fix few

Yep, just use SAM to fix what you should have. I doubt it's an issue with Steam or DE and more so how achievements would be handled by a live service game.