The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Universal "Dreamer's Bond" emboldens a lazy homogenization of modding while undermining all other Auras alongside Aura Forma

Voltage

Just now, Xylia said:

What is there to teach?

This question alone makes me think you're looking at this from the wrong perspective.

To you, the modding system makes sense, but to new players coming in, it simply doesn't.

What's to teach is not the mechanical 'put card in slot' and never has been, that's just being obtuse about things, and you know it.

Just this last four to five months I've watched over forty 'New Player Tries Warframe' streamers/youtubers, many of them actually intelligent people that were making really good choices and could actually read on-screen prompts and information given to them, even if that's just by context clues. (Like selecting a mod and then seeing the mod slot Polarity light up green to show it fits there, and seeing it reduce the cost of the mod when they do, for one example.)

Modding is opaque in why it does what it does. Because, specifically:

12 minutes ago, Xylia said:

Each mod tells you exactly what it does

No, it doesn't.

A straight damage mod? Sure. An Elemental Damage mod, and why it's actually more powerful than an IPS Damage mod? Not clear. What is Status in the context of Warframe? Which ones work, why does putting a mod in one slot produce one type of damage, while putting it in another produce a different one (gas/electric versus corrosive/heat)? What is Multi-shot and why does it affect Beams differently to Hitscan, or even why does it not affect AoE the same way it affects either of the previous two?

This isn't a case of 'read what it says on the tin' and away you go. And it hasn't been. Ever.

And then the more pertinent thing, beyond your own points about knowing what mods are out there and why there's such a barrier to entry: The Damage System and why some types of Damage are considered more 'universal', why Status can override raw Damage, how to combine it with Warframes...

There's so much to modding and just on basic weapons.

While no amount of actual Tutorials or Walkthroughs can really do anything to cover the vast unexplained about the Warframe damage and modding system...

Literally any attempt by DE to explain it more than they have so far is a point towards eventually de-mystifying it.

So.

In the context of the thread; This is baby's first Aura mod. The same way the Taxon is baby's first Sentinel, and you get other basic damage mods in the Vor's Prize quest, and you can farm the early boss fights for your first non-starter weapons and Warframes.

You don't naturally pick up an Aura mod from the game for some time. And having one that you can slot on to have a passive effect you can see on screen, and have it get better when you're playing with other new players in a visible way (energy and health regen getting faster with others there), it's...

It's something.

It's better than nothing.

And the statement I was replying to, specifically, of it being in some way encouraging 'lazy' builds? That just... how? When you have to go out of your way in Warframe to make a build not 'lazy' in the way OP means it. When the players at the stage of the game where this mod is given to them, and where this mod actually makes a difference, are ones that genuinely need a little more help.

It's a silly point of view to have. 

• Like 3

RE:Birdframe:

I think you were misunderstanding what I was saying.

On a pure mechanical level, clicking the cards and slotting them in, is not hard to understand at all. Click the card, drop it in a slot, capacity goes down by the same as the number on the card. Pretty simple and straightforward and even you agree with me there.

The polarities? Well when you grab a card, the right one lights up green, the wrong one lights up red. It's pretty easy to tell what that means. Match the polarities and the card costs half as much to put on there.

If someone can't "understand" that basic concept then they're a lost cause already. sorry to be mean, but.... if you play video games and you can't understand how the modding system works on a mechanical level, then maybe video games aren't your thing. Or maybe you should be playing Hello Kitty or something.

That leads us to the rest of your post about how hard it is to understand the ludicrously over-complex system of WHAT mods you should be slotting onto your equipment.

Is it DE's job to try to teach you that? I don't know. Maybe? Is it feasible? Absolutely not.

I'm a Grandmaster. I played since just after Warframe first went public on Steam, and played pretty solidly up until just before Railjack before I started taking my hiatuses. When Damage 2.0 came out, and how they overcomplicated EVERYTHING, that really turned me off hard on the game. I tried to soldier on through it, having a friend who had nothing better to do with his time than to study and play Warframe for 10+ hours a day while I worked at an actual RL job (he didn't have a job) giving me suggestions as to what I should put on my weapons.

Otherwise I just threw stuff that sounded obvious on there. Still do, kinda. My builds probably downright suck, and that's because of the stupid over-complicated system that they use.

Don't get me wrong: I am not speaking out against the newbie aura mod. I actually like it, it gives a buff that I believe should exist on all warframes even without the Aura mod. Energy (and I would argue Health!) Regen is just something natural that should always exist; you should be able to merely increase it with mods like you do armor, health, or shields. Give everyone a passive 1/sec energy and health regen out of the box, and have mods add to it (and adjust the mods accordingly to keep the same balance). It would help newbies out a lot.

My post was more directed at how utterly hopeless the idea of trying to teach newbies what mods to put on their stuff actually is. The first several mods you get are no-brainers, obviously. Redirection, Vitality, Fast Deflection, Serration, etc. But then they start showering you with stuff like +raw damage and the newbie gets the wrong idea that they should mod for raw damage first after the general damage. A part of me wonders if DE even knows what you should be modding for when they do this kind of stuff, or do they mislead newbies intentionally?

Either way, the system is so ludicrously complex I doubt any in-game guide other than maybe Duviri Experience can possibly give you any hint on how to properly mod your stuff. I never really paid TOO much attention to it, but the Default Mods in Duviri seem good. Why? Iunno. /shrug But I've seen weapons that I thought were weak AF do absolutely ludicrous damage to the Level 40+ enemies in there, I'm like "wtf!?" when these (what I assumed were) "weak" weapons are just shredding level 40-50 enemies like they are nothing.

I just shoot crap in there and not ask too many questions.

I gave up trying to understand the system a long time ago. I tend to throw Serration on it, if it's a high crit, I'll mod for crit otherwise I'll stack an element of some kind on it whatever I feel like it and hope it's good enough. Thankfully, Nataruk exists for anything I really need heavy power for.

EDIT: The problem with the Duviri Experience, though, is that it keeps giving me mods that I don't have and I don't feel like pulling up the wiki for 15 minutes before I do each Duviri to look up the plethora of mods that it slots on my stuff that I don't own to figure out where I get them.

So even Duviri Experience sucks as a modding tutorial because it's assuming you have stuff that you don't have, and doesn't tell you what you should do when you DON'T have said stuff.

Edited by Xylia

44 minutes ago, Xylia said:

My post was more directed at how utterly hopeless the idea of trying to teach newbies what mods to put on their stuff actually is.

So was mine. This Aura is another one of those 'no brainer' ones, and comes at a point where things like Auras will actually start to matter for new players.

Any attempt by DE to help explain their modding system, no matter how small, is better than what we have now.

And OP trying to say that this is a bad thing?

Let's agree to verbally smack them upside the face.

Oh, definitely I agree that the "newbie aura mod" is a good thing. And they chose the best effect they could, +energy and +health, though slower than their dedicated counterparts. Makes complete sense as survivability is probably a newbie needs the most early-on, but yet the mod isn't so powerful that you're gonna wanna keep it.

I imagine, about the time they get Energy Siphon, they're gonna want that instead, by then they should have enough Redirection/Vitality/Fast Deflection that they won't need the health regen (and/or the piddly amount the mod gives won't make much of a difference by then).

So that said, I *really* don't get what the OP is on about.

Edited by Xylia

On 2024-02-20 at 10:12 PM, Voltage said:

Likewise, it resurfaces what we saw for many years (and still today to an extent) with Steel Charge (and eventually Power Donation, although more niche) adding 9 (18 when polarized) modding capacity as opposed to every other Aura adding 7 (14 when polarized).

I have the same feedback with this issue, as 90% of my builds will always use Steel Charge since the fact that it adds  9 (18 when polarized) to the modding capacity and everyone and their grandmother wants more modding capacity (at least for players who are low MR, since a level 30 player wouldn't have this issue, at least I don't think so).

So my gripe is that DE needs to either, allow ALL Aura mods to add what  Steel Charge adds or a much less ideal fix is to "Nerf" the 9 (18 when polarized) to both SC and PD, but of course not one will want that.

But that's just my take on such

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Circle_of_Psi said:

I have the same feedback with this issue, as 90% of my builds will always use Steel Charge since the fact that it adds  9 (18 when polarized) to the modding capacity and everyone and their grandmother wants more modding capacity (at least for players who are low MR, since a level 30 player wouldn't have this issue, at least I don't think so).

So my gripe is that DE needs to either, allow ALL Aura mods to add what  Steel Charge adds or a much less ideal fix is to "Nerf" the 9 (18 when polarized) to both SC and PD, but of course not one will want that.

But that's just my take on such

I'd reckon the reason why Steel Charge adds more capacity is because melee tends to (except for Glaives and the like) have way shorter range than primaries or secondaries in general. If you use Steel Charge over Rifle Amp or the secondary equivalent, you're sacrificing a lot of range for some capacity.

Making the auras have the same capacity kinda defeats this design altogether.

Edited by Xylia

10 hours ago, Xylia said:

I'd reckon the reason why Steel Charge adds more capacity is because melee tends to (except for Glaives and the like) have way shorter range than primaries or secondaries in general. If you use Steel Charge over Rifle Amp or the secondary equivalent, you're sacrificing a lot of range for some capacity.

Hm, I can see that yeah, Good point

Just a shame, since most of my builds always have Steel Charge even if I don't have a meele weapon, due to that higher capacity. But that might just be cuz I suck at modding xD

13 hours ago, Xylia said:

Isn't it simply because Steel Charge used to be a rank 10 mod, and when it got reduced by 5 ranks, the capacity became 9 instead of 14?

I don't think there's any real balance behind it, they just didn't make it consistent 10 years ago and left it alone. Power Donation feels more questionable to me than Steel Charge.

@Birdframe_Prime I am not sure why you believe this new Aura teaches new players anything. The mod's bonus is helpful and I don't mind it being added for those players. A universal polarity doesn't teach players about polarities, and instead shows them that equipping this Aura will permanently save you Forma and Aura Forma. Players should be encouraged to graduate through mechanics by being shown how this system works. I said that in my post. I am absolutely agreeing with you on "teaching players". A free universal "this gives capacity on any Warframe" mod is not educational, it's simply a crutch, and it undermines several layers of gear later in the game. That does no player a beneficial service, it just holds their hand well past the portion of the game where they do need help.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Voltage said:

Isn't it simply because Steel Charge used to be a rank 10 mod, and when it got reduced by 5 ranks, the capacity became 9 instead of 14?

I don't think there's any real balance behind it, they just didn't make it consistent 10 years ago and left it alone. Power Donation feels more questionable to me than Steel Charge.

@Birdframe_Prime I am not sure why you believe this new Aura teaches new players anything. The mod's bonus is helpful and I don't mind it being added for those players. A universal polarity doesn't teach players about polarities, and instead shows them that equipping this Aura will permanently save you Forma and Aura Forma. Players should be encouraged to graduate through mechanics by being shown how this system works. I said that in my post. I am absolutely agreeing with you on "teaching players". A free universal "this gives capacity on any Warframe" mod is not educational, it's simply a crutch, and it undermines several layers of gear later in the game. That does no player a beneficial service, it just holds their hand well past the portion of the game where they do need help.

The aura "saves you forma"?

How?

Are you trying to tell me that a piddly 14 (IIRC?) capacity is going to make you not wanna forma your frame? lol

Now, the Aura Forma... not too many newbies know what that is, and again, as I said above... once the newbie gets ahold of Energy Siphon and enough Redirection and Vitality, they're going to want the increased Energy Regen that Energy Siphon has. But they'll go "but my warframe has the wrong polarity, but I want energy siphon!" and that's where the Aura Forma comes in.

By then, they'll either see an Aura Forma listed in Nightwave and go "OH I want one of those! That way I can use Energy Siphon!" (assuming their frame didn't already have the correct polarity) or they'll see it on the Market, one of the two and they'll probably find out about their existence that way.

Edited by Xylia

1 hour ago, Xylia said:

The aura "saves you forma"?

How?

Are you trying to tell me that a piddly 14 (IIRC?) capacity is going to make you not wanna forma your frame? lol

Now, the Aura Forma... not too many newbies know what that is, and again, as I said above... once the newbie gets ahold of Energy Siphon and enough Redirection and Vitality, they're going to want the increased Energy Regen that Energy Siphon has. But they'll go "but my warframe has the wrong polarity, but I want energy siphon!" and that's where the Aura Forma comes in.

By then, they'll either see an Aura Forma listed in Nightwave and go "OH I want one of those! That way I can use Energy Siphon!" (assuming their frame didn't already have the correct polarity) or they'll see it on the Market, one of the two and they'll probably find out about their existence that way.

Saving Forma/Aura Forma on the Aura slot specifically. Out of 97 Non-Prime and Prime Warframes, 93 can have their Aura polarity functionally ignored by simply having this mod. The only exceptions to this are vanilla Excalibur, vanilla Nekros, vanilla Protea and vanilla Sevagoth.

Aura Forma is not used by newer players. The appeal of the item is a later game enhancement to allow any Aura mod to give you its capacity bonus. This mod undermines that functionality by saying "You can just not spend that expensive Forma or re-leveling if you just slot this instead". Because the game has always been very easy and relaxed, Aura Mods don't offer enough bonus for you to consider this move unless you're really looking to min-max, which is a minority of the playerbase. Players looking to seek pure maximization will graduate away from this Aura. However, it adds reliance on it that undermines progression to the Aura Mods pool if the player chooses.

Anecdotally, players will often go this route, as you see Mesa's using Pistol Amp which adds the most negligible amount of damage to Regulators as opposed to the bonus of Energy Siphon, Corrosive Projection, Brief Respite, or other Aura choices. There is nothing wrong with approaching an Aura slot as a matching game. Choosing the best bonus for the polarity given is where players start at. This mod completely removes needing to make that decision. Before we had Aura Forma, polarizing an Aura slot to Naramon was a graduation in maximizing the Aura slot (as all the most helpful bonuses were Naramon outside of Steel Charge purely for its oversighted capacity increase). Later on players graduated to Aura Forma to open more options. This mod is a regression and teaches players a bad habit of ignoring the polarity altogether for the capacity bonus. My goal with this thread was to change the way Aura Mods are approached by players at all levels of the game to feel like a graduated process with an end result of true diversity. This is why I made the suggestion to make all Aura and Stance mods a single polarity, adding a standardized modding capacity, and moving Aura Forma to an earlier acquisition, with reduced crafting costs, and a proper tutorial for the system.

I feel like way too many people commenting on here are picking apart one statement out of my thread to say how anti-player it is, but then writing a comment asking for the exact same thing the scope of this thread discusses. I am not asking to remove the bonus DE's intentions aim to make with no improvement to Auras. I am not asking to make new players' time worse and/or more grindy. I want new players to be taught mechanics appropriately and with good habits so that they can get more out of this game in a positive way. The universal polarity on the Aura fundamentally acts in the same way Damaged Mods did years prior. This is nothing more than just another confusing outlier added to Warframe that does nobody a real service long-term in their playtime. 

Edited by Voltage
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Voltage said:

I am not sure why you believe this new Aura teaches new players anything.

So, quick question; when is the first Aura mod available in a non-RNG fashion? And what is it?

The thing it teaches is absolutely tiny; it's 'What is an Aura Mod and what does one of those do?'

Sure you can find these things out on the wiki, and you might have found one earlier, but this is the first actually acquired one on the star chart.

As I said, it's the absolute minimum that can be done towards that.

On 2024-02-20 at 4:12 PM, Voltage said:

This mod concerned me when I first saw a picture of it, but became more alarming as I read the patch notes.

I understand this mod is half as good as both Energy Siphon for energy regeneration and Rejuvenation for health regeneration comparatively. Having both bonuses under one mod is questionable for what it serves to new players. However, it's not a game-breaking amount of regeneration, even in a full squad (+1.2 Energy Regen/s, +6 Health Regen/s), so I don't really mind that it's being added in the first place. The other skepticism I had was the Madurai polarity. At first glance, this looks odd (instead of Naramon or Vazarin) and reminds me of Cold, Status Chance, and GunCO mods having Vazarin. However, this was cleared up in the patch notes as Mag and Volt possess Madurai Aura polarities (and Excalibur has no Aura polarity). Okay, makes sense, even if a little bit of an outlier.

(Source)

This is what bothers me about this mod: 

(Source)

This decision encourages a lazy modding decision for new players for the rest of the game (and to many existing players) and undermines Aura Forma as a meaningful reward for builds (which has already been undermined once before in Saint of Altra (2019) by being added to the Market). Likewise, it resurfaces what we saw for many years (and still today to an extent) with Steel Charge (and eventually Power Donation, although more niche) adding 9 (18 when polarized) modding capacity as opposed to every other Aura adding 7 (14 when polarized).

I mentioned this in feedback 6 years ago, and a portion of it still holds merit today:

(Source)

To modernize my initial suggestions (given in 2017 we did not have Aura or Stance Forma), this is how I would approach this:

1. Standardize the modding capacity gained from Aura and Stance mods. I mention Stances as these mods function similarly to Auras, and we now have melee Exilus mods as well as Exalted melee lacking the capacity boost. Parity between capacity boosting mods is important.
    1. Add this polarity by default to all Exalted melee Stance slots and Exalted Stance mods.
  2. Add a new polarity that is shared between Aura and Stance mods (Plexus/Railjack included).
    1. All base Warframes (with the exception of Protea) will not have this polarity installed by default.
    2. All Prime Warframes, Excalibur Umbra, Plexus/Railjack, and Protea will have this polarity installed by default.
  3. Teach new players through the modding tutorial using Dreamer's Bond and one free Aura Forma. Improve the new player experience in a meaningful way by giving the player both Dreamer's Bond and one Aura Forma in tandem while explaining the purpose. This teaches the player more about polarities, the fact vanilla Warframes do not have these by default, add a proper buff to Prime gear, and properly set up players for The New War with their Railjack without robbing them of critical mechanical experience by way of the introduction of Dreamer's Bond. To force this interaction to occur early in progression for mechanical education without creating a massive grind for releveling a Warframe, the player could be automatically leveled to rank 30 on solely their starter Warframe while completing the tutorial, and the player would then be explained Mods, Aura Mods, Aura Forma, normal Forma, polarities, Affinity, leveling, and Mastery Rank at the same time. This would give them a much needed capacity boost in early content while explaining very basic modding choices.
  4. Remove Stance Forma from the game and give all melee Stance slots this new Aura/Stance polarity. These were never sold for Platinum, and their usage has always been niche (Dark Split-Sword) or for a completionist checkmark with no real benefit to the player's arsenal. Unlike Aura Mods, there are always best in-slot stances due to forced procs and damage multipliers. Using a stance outside of this purpose has always been for flavor. Players have always matched polarities or reapplied Forma to slot the best stance for the given melee family (such as Sovereign Outcast for Tonfas). I have installed Stance Forma on every melee in the game with the exception of Zaws, and I rather see them removed if it means standardizing modding to reflect a more streamlined user experience.
  5. Relocate Aura Forma from Arbitrations to Starchart rotation rewards. This gives all players an acceptable avenue to farm these items. Newer players can install them on their earned Warframes throughout the game within this reward path while existing players have a reliable method of earning blueprints through natural gameplay. Arbitration players would receive an updated drop table that removes this bloat item in favor of more of what Arbitrations offer. Given these were added to the Market for Platinum many years ago, their value as a rotation reward during Arbitrations has been eroded almost entirely.
  6. Reduce the Forma cost for crafting Aura Forma from 4 to 2.
  7. Reduce the Market cost for Aura Forma from 80 to 60 for a single and keep the bundle unchanged at 150.

A major part of the new player experience is first impressions with teaching mechanics, and adding a starter Aura that lets them bypass the entire polarity system for Auras indefinitely isn't doing them a service long-term. Introducing players to the Universal polarity in the early game (along with the rest of the polarities) through a larger set of changes would give them a healthier perspective to Warframe modding and also benefit everyone else going forward.

Dreamer's Bond soon becoming the only Universal Aura is not only the lowest-hanging fruit for a change, but the proposed encourages the laziest modding perspective for the entirety of Warframe for so many players while completely neglecting why this initial concern had arisen to begin with. Now is the time to address this, and the game deserves better.

Cheers, Voltage.

I don't think Dreamer's Bond will become the newbie meta, but I do agree that if they're gonna Cross the Rubicon anyway, then they might as well go all in. Change all Warframe Auras, Melee Stances, and the Railjack Aura to the Universal Polarity; and make them all give the same buff to capacity. Even as a PC player I hate the sheer mountain of tedious grind for the meta, so I'll gladly accept all the streamlining I can get. I'd much rather have fun finding new things and fighting new enemies than wasting time grinding the same thing for hours on end.

On 2024-02-23 at 5:43 PM, Xylia said:

What is there to teach?

Each mod tells you exactly what it does, and you put little cards on until you can't afford to put cards on anymore, you rank them up, etc. IIRC the newbie tips already tell you how to do all this.

Now, what mods to put on your Frames and weapons, well....

I don't think you're going to cover that with any in-game guide. The problem is, that they made damage and enemy defenses way too complex for the average player to ever understand, and they put in way too many misleading mods and/or misleading stats.

The whole modding system is just too over-complicated and way over-bloated. The # of different mods in the game is just mind-boggling, and it's kinda like the talent tree system in World of Warcraft -- THOUSANDS of possible combinations, but there's only a handful that are ever going to be any good.

Mods end up being a barrier to entry and if you're missing certain high performing mods, then mods just end being a barrier to you overcoming harder content. You can have the frames, and the weapons, but if you just can't get some 0.01% chance mod to drop, you're SOL if it's a key mod that changes everything.

For example, I mentioned Energy Nexus above. It's a really powerful mod. I was amazed at just how good this mod is compared to Energy Siphon. Not only does it regen energy like twice as fast, maybe almost three times as fast, but it ALSO allows you to put Rifle Amp or Steel Charge on, instead which means you ALSO do more damage.

Now, I got the mod by pure chance and I didn't know it existed, and while I was typing that post earlier, I looked it up on wiki and... yeah.

It's like a 1% drop chance from some of the hardest enemies in non-Steel Path.

There are plenty of other mods like this, that drop either from rare mobs, or difficult mobs with 1% (or less, IIRC) drop chance. I remember trying to farm my first +Warframe Power mod (it was called Focus then, I forget what it's called now). It took literal months because it refused to drop for me, and without it, several of my frames' performance was rather poor while everybody else was just smashing stuff.

And then, there's just pure, unadulterated bloat. Even with the mod type filters, it can take ages trying to find mods. For some strange reason, mods are NOT in alphabetical order half of the time and with there being no button to automatically sell unranked duplicates of normal mods, it's a pain and a hassle to find the mods you want while you're modding your gear, having to scroll through a ton of useless crap that you keep "just in case you might need ammo drum someday" to find the ones you want.

I think we just need a mod rework or something. Cut some of the useless chaff out, refund players for any endo/credits spent on such mods, or what-not, I dunno. But it's just getting absurd.

EDIT: Really now? It's 2024 and the forums STILL don't support BBCode... /eyeroll

I'm a veteran of the first contact with Fortuna, and lemme tell you: I'm SUPER lazy. I legit just bum off guys like TheKengineer for my builds because I cannot wrap my head around how this game does modding. Additive multipliers, multiplicative multipliers, somehow adding percentages together makes a smaller percentage number the actual bonus. It all goes way over my head. I seriously can't be bothered to learn it all and will gladly take leech accusations if it means I can spend more time playing and less time figuring out what something does.
And I wholeheartedly agree: Warframe as a whole is bloated. Not just the modding. I honestly want DE to just stop making the next shiny new distraction and focus on modernizing their 11 year old game. If that means it'll be a long time until they make new content, then so be it. I just want the game to be streamlined and not have patches of "oh yeah, that definitely shows its age".

I can’t be bothered with modding aswell. I do understand almost all of concepts, but build weapons with bane mods for each faction - nope. I just make one build and attend to not changing it. 

Auras in Warframe overall worthless, with few exceptions, their bonus is so minisque it will make no difference at lvl200+ content. And yes I’m lazy, I don’t have stockpile of formas, almost always I slot Steel Charge aura for extra capacity because it can save me 1-2 polarities. I’ve never made aura forma, it’s just useless because I can just slap madurai polarity there and I won’t change Steel Charge there ever again. 

This mod is good for newbies, I can understand why it exists, but baming on “lazy design” is ridiculous in the game that is way too complicated. When I was playing it in 2014-2015 I was a poor student that had a lot of free time and I did invest into complicated mechanics and for every hour in the game I were spending 3 hours on wiki, today I just wanna play my favorite game I don’t have luxury of reading wiki 8 hours per day.  I just SLAP my lazy builds and go SLAP my enemies.