Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

whats the likelihood we get a proper paladin aesthetic frame in the future

i know we technially ave oberon but he really doesnt fit the bill..

we have so many frames that are dense in their chosen aesthetic. Mesa is a gunslinger, Hydroid is a pirate, Styanax is a greek/roman soldier, etc

and the best we have for paladin is..oberon. his "hallowed ground" sprouts some flowers on the ground.

as it stands right now styanax fills the roll of paladin better than oberon does.

Edited by llShiifTll
  • Like 1

• llShiifTll changed the title to whats the likelihood we get a proper paladin aesthetic frame in the future

I'm not really against a Warframe with a straight-up old medieval knight aesthetic, we have stuff that gets close but nothing that screams "knight on horseback". That's probably what I would expect a Dagath Deluxe to look like personally.

As for the actual Paladin theme from D&D and the like? Oberon literally has Smite, healing, he's fairly tough and comes with his own mace. Outside of Hallowed Grounds aesthetic, nothing else in his kit really goes against that concept. He very much fits the bill of a Paladin in most forms of media.

Oberon could use some changes to his Energy economy, a buff to his armor from Renewal, some tweaks to Smite's orb coverage and duration as well as making Reckoning just remove armor without Hallowed Ground, but his theme is obviously still pretty solid.

Edited by Greysmog
  • Like 1

You will want to expand on what you expect in your paladin , 

Is it just the appearance or playstyle ?

If I compare D&D , the major things that set a paladin apart from other classes is that it is an effective halfcaster for support/healing ,with good Armor , good martial ability 

And the special Auras provide a lot of versatile feature and smite also give them the ocassional burst of damage.

So a high Armor , hybrid support , weapon platform frame is what you are looking for ? 

Which wears heavy Armor and rides a horse aesthetically ?

• Like 2

My understanding of a Paladin is bizarre... it's a magic knight that can make lots of hammers fly in a spiral around himself. The hammers smash into nearby enemies and do insane amounts of damage. Oh, and the knight has magic auras too.

Spoiler

Yeah, I don't know what Blizzard was thinking. They probably ran out of ideas and just shoehorned this into their Paladin concept.

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, 0_The_F00l said:

If I compare D&D , the major things that set a paladin apart from other classes is that it is an effective halfcaster for support/healing ,with good Armor , good martial ability 

And the special Auras provide a lot of versatile feature and smite also give them the ocassional burst of damage.

So a high Armor , hybrid support , weapon platform frame is what you are looking for ? 

Which wears heavy Armor and rides a horse aesthetically ?

im not familiar with dnd at all so my experience with paladin is from popular video games. WoW, final fantasy, adjacnt "paladin-like" classes(templar, crusader, etc. something like harrow is too far in the "priest" aesthetic). mostly working with either holy, lighting, or in some cases fire damage. obviously wf doesnt have holy damage, so maybe can do lightning themed abilities and set energy color to a holy yellow.

heavy armor clad. works either with a giant 2h sword/hammer or a shield (again, where styanax fits the mold of paladin better than oberon, spears + shield, grants squad overguard with augment, grants energy recovery)

horse, can take it or leave it, probably doesnt work as well in warframe so id rather leave it (see: merulina/k-drives/kaithe)

i recognize the paladin as a supporter but also be able to hold their own in combat as well. wow is my most played mmo, and ive always been a retribution paladin, which is the damage dealer specialization (it actually kinda irks me when a game has a paladin type class but straight up do not allow them to be a dps role, like ffxiv)

as long a the warframe is designed to be visually kinda paladin-y, the rest can be heavily substituted via the modding system and helminth and stuff like that

i only just recently got styanax and due to how closely he parallels a paladin theme he quickly became my new main. if he had a bit more of a holy aesthetic to him it'd be my 10/10

Edited by llShiifTll

2 minutes ago, llShiifTll said:

im not familiar with dnd at all so my experience with paladin is from popular video games. WoW, final fantasy, adjacnt "paladin-like" classes(templar, crusader, etc). mostly working with either holy, lighting, or in some cases fire damage. obviously wf doesnt have holy damage, so maybe can do lightning themed abilities and set energy color to a holy yellow.

heavy armor clad. works either with a giant 2h sword/hammer or a shield (again, where styanax fits the mold of paladin better than oberon, spears + shield, grants squad overguard with augment, grants energy recovery)

horse, can take it or leave it, probably doesnt work as well in warframe so id rather leave it (see: merulina/k-drives/kaithe)

i recognize the paladin as a supporter but also be able to hold their own in combat as well. wow is my most played mmo, and ive always been a retribution paladin, which is the damage dealer specialization (it actually kinda irks me when a game has a paladin type class but straight up do not allow them to be a dps role, like ffxiv)

as long a the warframe is designed to be visually kinda paladin-y, the rest can be heavily substituted via the modding system and helminth and stuff like that

i only just recently got styanax and due to how closely he parallels a paladin theme he quickly became my new main. if he had a bit more of a holy aesthetic to him it'd be my 10/10

Hmmm , there are a few options if your major thing is appearances with the ability have self weapon buffs and give supporting heals.

And sounds more like you need a skin for Oberon than a new frame as he does exactly that if built right.

Close second would be excalibur (one of the hundreds of skins paired with the right attachments should fit the bill)

possibly followed by chroma,

And very distant would be vauban with his deluxe.

Kullervo too maybe after he gets a few skins.

5 minutes ago, 0_The_F00l said:

Hmmm , there are a few options if your major thing is appearances with the ability have self weapon buffs and give supporting heals.

And sounds more like you need a skin for Oberon than a new frame as he does exactly that if built right.

Close second would be excalibur (one of the hundreds of skins paired with the right attachments should fit the bill)

possibly followed by chroma,

And very distant would be vauban with his deluxe.

Kullervo too maybe after he gets a few skins.

maybe not so much healing support as healing support is fairly weak in warframe. youre either doing low level missions and dont need heals or youre fighting enemies that if a bullet connects to red health bar youre dead. theres not much in between

thats why i did immediately vibe with styanax because he does really good damage, generates overguard, can not only fully armor strip but also shield strip as well, and regens energy for whole party.

and as much as i love the playstyle, i would still prefer it if the warframes actual abilities were also paladin themed. like oberons hallowed ground just..sprouts flowers.

I mean, if we're talking the DnD aesthetic, I'm not quite sure the design space room. Oberon has a knightly aesthetic, especially the prime (I might not like the Silva and Aegis prime, but a mace and shield are extremely knight and paladin-y), whilst coming out with light from the gods and healing those around him. He gets some Druid in there too, but even Dungeons and Dragons accepts this as a valid Paladin with 5e's Oath of the Ancients. 

As for an armoured warrior armed with almighty weapon and shield, rallying forth their allies in the fight for goodness and justice... that's like, what, two steps from Styanax? Yeah sure he's more of a Greek Demigod in terms of his visual aesthetic and the names and whatnot, but if a Paladin doesn't mean healing auras and radiant smites like Oberon, or an almighty warrior of justice bolstering allies and wielding divine weapons... I'm not really sure what you're looking for.

1 hour ago, nslay said:

My understanding of a Paladin is bizarre... it's a magic knight that can make lots of hammers fly in a spiral around himself. The hammers smash into nearby enemies and do insane amounts of damage. Oh, and the knight has magic auras too.

Hide contents

Yeah, I don't know what Blizzard was thinking. They probably ran out of ideas and just shoehorned this into their Paladin concept.

Nah, most of this is kinda cribbed from Dungeons and Dragons. Not necessarily the flying part, but ever since their introduction DnD Paladins have been holy knights (Lawful Good for the overwhelming majority of the game's existence only easing up with the release of the fifth edition) with magical auras that improve their abilities. From what I've seen about the Warcraft setting, there's a lot of stuff cribbed from DnD. Not that it's a bad thing, because DnD cribbed a ton from other sources like Tolkien and Jack Vance, that's just how fantasy do.

5 minutes ago, Loza03 said:

As for an armoured warrior armed with almighty weapon and shield, rallying forth their allies in the fight for goodness and justice... that's like, what, two steps from Styanax? Yeah sure he's more of a Greek Demigod in terms of his visual aesthetic and the names and whatnot, but if a Paladin doesn't mean healing auras and radiant smites like Oberon, or an almighty warrior of justice bolstering allies and wielding divine weapons... I'm not really sure what you're looking for.

yeah, idk if you read my other posts but i mention styanax and how he feels infinitely closer to a paladin to me than Oberon. I only recently got styanax and he quickly became my main. His skills are paladin-adjacent (in terms of name and animation) and his gameplay loop hit most of the paladin nails on the head for me.

that said having an actual frame designed from the ground up to be a paladin would be nice (again, im not familiar with dnd specifically, moreso what youd get from a warcraft/final fantasy/BDO/general MMORPG paladin/templar/crusader)

at the end of the day, Styanax's design style *is* just a greek/roman soldier. as close as it comes to being a full paladin, it's not quite there.

the last new warframe we got is a literal brick of concrete. we can get a dedicated paladin

1 hour ago, llShiifTll said:

maybe not so much healing support as healing support is fairly weak in warframe. youre either doing low level missions and dont need heals or youre fighting enemies that if a bullet connects to red health bar youre dead. theres not much in between

thats why i did immediately vibe with styanax because he does really good damage, generates overguard, can not only fully armor strip but also shield strip as well, and regens energy for whole party.

and as much as i love the playstyle, i would still prefer it if the warframes actual abilities were also paladin themed. like oberons hallowed ground just..sprouts flowers.

Sounds like you don't actually want a paladin but an eldritch knight if I am being honest. But that's an issue with defining what a paladin is 

Mostly martial focus but some self support buffs is what you want, there are plenty of those but since aesthetics is your ask , you want to look at skins for some of the martial frames.

10 hours ago, llShiifTll said:

yeah, idk if you read my other posts but i mention styanax and how he feels infinitely closer to a paladin to me than Oberon. I only recently got styanax and he quickly became my main. His skills are paladin-adjacent (in terms of name and animation) and his gameplay loop hit most of the paladin nails on the head for me.

that said having an actual frame designed from the ground up to be a paladin would be nice (again, im not familiar with dnd specifically, moreso what youd get from a warcraft/final fantasy/BDO/general MMORPG paladin/templar/crusader)

at the end of the day, Styanax's design style *is* just a greek/roman soldier. as close as it comes to being a full paladin, it's not quite there.

the last new warframe we got is a literal brick of concrete. we can get a dedicated paladin

The question still remains 'what would that look like'? If not Oberon or Styanax. If you just want the aesthetics, I don't doubt some good fashionframe would do the trick nicely for Styanax. Colour his energy gold for example, and you have holy light attacks. And the most critical identifier for his classical design is his helmet, so some of his alternate helmets and some well-placed attachments would probably help.

Ultimately though, my question remains 'what do you actually want that doesn't already exist?'. We have several Warframes which call on the aesthetic of an armoured warrior: Excalibur has been noted before, and Styanax of course. Oberon blends classic knightly designs into the more naturalistic edge, Harrow is a warpriest, and Protea leans on some knight aesthetics too to get the combat in her combat engineer. We can't forget Dagath either here, fitting the bill as the antipaladin/blackguard/oathbreaker/hellknight (whichever your preferred 'evil paladin' name is) with her undead knight vibes on top of her Dullahan inspirations. And of course Kullervo is an armoured soldier too, though he's far from a knight or Paladin. And as noted, the ability vibes exist pretty widely too, and several even combine the two.

If you can suggest how you'd produce a Paladin that has a meaningful distinction, I'd love to see it.

55 minutes ago, Loza03 said:

The question still remains 'what would that look like'? If not Oberon or Styanax. If you just want the aesthetics, I don't doubt some good fashionframe would do the trick nicely for Styanax. Colour his energy gold for example, and you have holy light attacks. And the most critical identifier for his classical design is his helmet, so some of his alternate helmets and some well-placed attachments would probably help.

Ultimately though, my question remains 'what do you actually want that doesn't already exist?'. We have several Warframes which call on the aesthetic of an armoured warrior: Excalibur has been noted before, and Styanax of course. Oberon blends classic knightly designs into the more naturalistic edge, Harrow is a warpriest, and Protea leans on some knight aesthetics too to get the combat in her combat engineer. We can't forget Dagath either here, fitting the bill as the antipaladin/blackguard/oathbreaker/hellknight (whichever your preferred 'evil paladin' name is) with her undead knight vibes on top of her Dullahan inspirations. And of course Kullervo is an armoured soldier too, though he's far from a knight or Paladin. And as noted, the ability vibes exist pretty widely too, and several even combine the two.

If you can suggest how you'd produce a Paladin that has a meaningful distinction, I'd love to see it.

pretty much Oberons entire kit of abilities, but not nature themed in their animation. as i mentioned before his Hallowed Ground just sprouts flowers on the floor.

all of his abilities fit the paladin bill, but his lore and his animations are obviously more druidic/nature based than anything else, as well as his actual physical design

so a warframe that has a pretty heavily armor appearance (not quite like rhino whos just a beefcake, but having a more knightly appearance. as a side note, not even excalibur scratches this itch. he's also just another space ninja in his little jumpsuit), has abilities themed after Paladin lore in both name and animation design

Styanax does come close to what I'm looking for in terms of gameplay, but his physical design and abilities are still just roman/greek soldier at the end of the day.

I have done the best I can to fashionframe Styanax to a paladin but I dont have a ton of attachments for him to really kit him out. the best I was able to do was color him and his energy and throw on repala syandana. he doesnt have a ton of variety offered in his skins yet as he's fairly new, and i'm still not entirely sold on his new skin coming up.

26 minutes ago, llShiifTll said:

pretty much Oberons entire kit of abilities, but not nature themed in their animation. as i mentioned before his Hallowed Ground just sprouts flowers on the floor.

all of his abilities fit the paladin bill, but his lore and his animations are obviously more druidic/nature based than anything else, as well as his actual physical design

so a warframe that has a pretty heavily armor appearance (not quite like rhino whos just a beefcake, but having a more knightly appearance. as a side note, not even excalibur scratches this itch. he's also just another space ninja in his little jumpsuit), has abilities themed after Paladin lore in both name and animation design

Styanax does come close to what I'm looking for in terms of gameplay, but his physical design and abilities are still just roman/greek soldier at the end of the day.

I have done the best I can to fashionframe Styanax to a paladin but I dont have a ton of attachments for him to really kit him out. the best I was able to do was color him and his energy and throw on repala syandana. he doesnt have a ton of variety offered in his skins yet as he's fairly new, and i'm still not entirely sold on his new skin coming up.

Well you see there's your problem. You have a frame that already exists that does Paladin things, looks like an armoured knight (albeit a warrior of nature) and is even referred to as a Paladin in some marketing. DE making another frame that does this would be redundant.

Your best bet is to hope for an Oberon Deluxe that changes the effect of his 3. There's frames out there with more than one deluxe after all.

7 minutes ago, Loza03 said:

Well you see there's your problem. You have a frame that already exists that does Paladin things, looks like an armoured knight (albeit a warrior of nature) and is even referred to as a Paladin in some marketing. DE making another frame that does this would be redundant.

Your best bet is to hope for an Oberon Deluxe that changes the effect of his 3. There's frames out there with more than one deluxe after all.

but oberon doesn't look like an armored knight. he still just looks like a space ninja. his deluxe skin leans into the druidic theme with the tree branches and crap.

but if he did get a skin that leaned more into the paladin theme that'd be cool.

you also mentioned a deluxe skin that changes the effect of his ability. do deluxe skins to that? i dont actually own any deluxe skins

Broadly speaking you're not going to see much that looks like armored knights because the lore of what Warframes are isn't conducive to that; an important aspect of Warframes is that their flesh has the durability of steel, rendering external armor superfluous.

Deluxe skins seem like the only place you'll ever be able to live this fantasy, since Deluxe skins are just for fun and not based in the game's lore.  The closest thing I can think of to a knight aesthetic would be Frost's deluxe skin.  If that doesn't do it for you, you just might be out of luck.

4 minutes ago, llShiifTll said:

but oberon doesn't look like an armored knight. he still just looks like a space ninja. his deluxe skin leans into the druidic theme with the tree branches and crap.

but if he did get a skin that leaned more into the paladin theme that'd be cool.

you also mentioned a deluxe skin that changes the effect of his ability. do deluxe skins to that? i dont actually own any deluxe skins

Deluxe skins don't usually, but DE have started going crazy with them lately so it's not out of the realm.

And yes, Oberons's base skin does fit more into the original WF aesthetic (which makes sense for his release date), but he has a proper helmet, shoulder guards, gauntlets, and of course there's his prime which leans into this further.

What do you mean when you say 'armour'?

2 minutes ago, Loza03 said:

What do you mean when you say 'armour'?

Looking at styanax again, He has his soldier helmet and shoulderguards and a breastplate and gauntlets. his #2 summons his shield to strip enemy defenses, his #1 and #4 uses his spears.

all of that but a with a more visually distinctly "paladin" aesthetic.

Similar to this. It doesn't have to be that over the top and flashy obviously, but designed with that general aesthetic.

16 hours ago, 0_The_F00l said:

Almost certainly the appearance 

The thing about Oberon is he's a paladin wearing a druid skin. His moveset has got all the paladin staples, down to literally Smiting Evil, while his dress sense is 100% druid, being the hooved nature guardian

And I for one am curious what the inversion would be, the armored holy knight with druidic magic instead