Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Easiest way to fix host migrarion

Oedius

Let us rejoin the squad we just disconnected from.

You give us the option to rejoin when the game crashes. So why not when there's a host migration? I'm tired of getting kicked out of an endurance session halfway to level cap and making everyone extract and start all the way from scratch again. DE is taking the right step with circuit progress being saved (though that's something that should've been released with Duviri last year. idk what they were thinking making an all or nothing gamemode when connectivity issues are as bad as it is for so many people) so hopefully that's a sign that this could already be somewhere on the table.

Letting us rejoin a squad after a host migration makes the game more accessible for everyone, even people with crap internet or hardware. Which by the way, is the vast majority of the world's population.

I doubt anyone would exploit it, maybe adding a timer could help prevent it. Plus it's already in the game, so why not give us the pop up option mid-host migration.

Anyways, that's just my 2cents.

Something to think about before releasing the Android version of the game for sure.

edit: for clarification, It's more to fix a user getting disconnected from the host not vice versa.

Edited by Oedius
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Slayer-. said:

We already sort of have that option for when we drop from a mission but it only works now and then to rejoin the last session.

Yeah I noticed that. But it doesn't work on host migrations, just hard kicks to orbiter/logged out/game crash. Which happens far less often than host migrations in my experience. 😭

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Oedius said:

Yeah I noticed that. But it doesn't work on host migrations, just hard kicks to orbiter/logged out/game crash. Which happens far less often than host migrations in my experience. 😭

Yeah host migrations suck, and I'm glad I very rarely suffer them, I'm normally the host with my rock solid connection, but when it does, I normally end up back in the mission to continue, only a handful of times I've been dropped right back to the ship.

Wouldnt work since a failed migrations likely results in data getting lost which is tied to the group you were in, so the game doesnt have the data to tell which group you were in when the migration occured and failed. Which is also probably a reason why the migration fails in the first place.

edit: When you simply get booted or anything else that doesnt trigger a migration the game kicks in to keep track of things.

Edited by SneakyErvin
  • Like 1

It sucks the most if you're doing missions that benefit from full squads and long time investments. Such as void cascade, SP void fissures with steel essence farm, Circuit, railjack, SP lua thrax and kuva survival farms, etc. But letting us re-squad up would make it pretty much a non-issue and the mechanisms to make it work are almost all there afaik. But it's gotten to the point where I just don't feel like ever doing void cascade, SP circuit or endless SP void fissures anymore due to the connectivity issues. And that really sucks because those are my favorite activities, especially with friends and over voice comms.

Just now, SneakyErvin said:

Wouldnt work since a failed migrations likely results in data getting lost which is tied to the group you were in, so the game doesnt have the data to tell which group you were in when the migration occured and failed. Which is also probably a reason why the migration fails in the first place.

Failed migrations let me reconnect. Successful host migrations don't let me reconnect. Which is what I'm begging DE to add.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Oedius said:

Failed migrations let me reconnect. Successful host migrations don't let me reconnect. Which is what I'm begging DE to add.

My failed migrations always turn to poo. I mean I get the message but reconnecting never works, it always ends up in a session not found or similar message. I cant recall what I've seen regarding successful migrations since I cant recall dropping after one. I do know though that eventually the game simply stops trying to migrate, which is why I often head for extraction the moment a migration has happened and is successful (unless I end up as host). Since if someone else drops and forces another one we may just be dumped out of the mission.

I have trash internet where I live and host migrations were a constant thing when I was running endurance in a group. 

I would alt+f4 as host migration started before I got put in my own game. When I relogged I could join the squad but I lost all mission rewards. 

I gave up rewards just so I could lvl cap with friends. S#&$ty solution but if your main goal is to have fun first and rewards come second it works.

Considering that a migration happens after someone's connection failed I'd imagine that DE wouldn't want to strain an already strained setup by reintroducing connections. Especially as it is possible for issues to occur due to a client's connection. And if the problematic connection caused an issue letting them reconnect could result in looping the same problem until a migration fails.

If I'm the host and pull my cable out there's nothing that can be done to salvage the mission. My PC had all the information.

That's not usually where I've seen host migration fail though. It's often when the host decides to leave a mission and others stay. Or they join Circuit still oblivious to the fact you can see your loadout before joining and then leave because they don't have a good selection. All this is cross platform connection code failing.

Basic functionality of the game is pretty bad right now. The UI is constantly moving my chat box and the mouse position on mission complete is random.

The core issue is you fail to connect to the new host. It doesn't matter how many tries you do, you'll never connect to that new host. This has nothing to do with warframe itself. It's on the user's end. All users not just one.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Xzorn said:

If I'm the host and pull my cable out there's nothing that can be done to salvage the mission. My PC had all the information.

That's not usually where I've seen host migration fail though. It's often when the host decides to leave a mission and others stay. Or they join Circuit still oblivious to the fact you can see your loadout before joining and then leave because they don't have a good selection. All this is cross platform connection code failing.

Basic functionality of the game is pretty bad right now. The UI is constantly moving my chat box and the mouse position on mission complete is random.

Non-hosts have synced log files with the host which is why when a host disconnects I still keep all of my progress/rewards and am able to continue the mission solo or with the rest of the squad. But i agree basic functionality is scuffed right now.

5 hours ago, ominumi said:

The core issue is you fail to connect to the new host. It doesn't matter how many tries you do, you'll never connect to that new host. This has nothing to do with warframe itself. It's on the user's end. All users not just one.

Edited for clarification. I want this feature not so much for when a host disconnects and leaves the rest of the squad. Rather, I want players who disconnect from the host's session to be able to rejoin. Not sure why I worded it so weird in the original post. I mean if we could have both that would be ideal, but the latter i think would be easier to implement first.

13 hours ago, Berzerkules said:

I have trash internet where I live and host migrations were a constant thing when I was running endurance in a group. 

I would alt+f4 as host migration started before I got put in my own game. When I relogged I could join the squad but I lost all mission rewards. 

I gave up rewards just so I could lvl cap with friends. S#&$ty solution but if your main goal is to have fun first and rewards come second it works.

I've been doing this a lot aswell. It works 50/50 for me.

Edited by Oedius

9 hours ago, Oedius said:

Non-hosts have synced log files with the host which is why when a host disconnects I still keep all of my progress/rewards and am able to continue the mission solo or with the rest of the squad. But i agree basic functionality is scuffed right now.

Edited for clarification. I want this feature not so much for when a host disconnects and leaves the rest of the squad. Rather, I want players who disconnect from the host's session to be able to rejoin. Not sure why I worded it so weird in the original post. I mean if we could have both that would be ideal, but the latter i think would be easier to implement first.

I've been doing this a lot aswell. It works 50/50 for me.

I understand what you are saying. After a host migration there's times players fail to connect to the new host. It's near impossible for DE to fix this issue. Even if we have an option to try to connect to the new host, it'll still end up in failure. No matter how many attempt because the issue is on the user's end. Bad connection, poorly router setup,, Firewall configuration. PSN. There's just too many points of failure that's out of DE's hands.

• Like 1