Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Best gloomer?

MaxTunnerX

Question

What warframe is the best gloomer? AKA which frame has the best synergy with gloom and can do more than just gloom? I use it on several of my frames and I find it frustrating as there are way too many compromises to be made. Either it drains energy too fast or it doesnt have range or it doesnt have strength. And just for your info,
I dont care about the lifesteal, I just want to slow down enemies for mobile defense and similar game modes.

Edited by MaxTunnerX

24 answers to this question

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, (PSN)iuvenilis said:

Probably Hildryn. She can completely ignore energy simply by tapping pillage. And she's easily built for high strength and high range. I use a gloom hildy build to cheese the archon excavation (and similar) missions.

I expected someone would mention Hildryn one way or another but I must say it really looks promising and I dont know why I havent thought about her before. Ill try it out.

10 minutes ago, Mazifet said:

Equinox. Combined with her 3rd augment night form grants 99% enemy slow and a lot of ehp/healing

Interesting idea. Equinox is too high IQ/complicated frame for me though so Im not even gonna try right now :D maybe later.

Edited by MaxTunnerX

Posted (edited)

@(PSN)iuvenilis Ive tried Hildryn and it seems to work. Although pillage does nothing for me. If Im glooming, the shields go down super quickly, when I kill the enemies in gloom radius the shields go up super quickly, but tapping pillage does nothing for me for some reason.

Edited by MaxTunnerX

Garuda, replace Blood Altar with Gloom, activate it, it spends energy, you use her BloodLetting (3rd) to restore large amounts of energy and the next enemy you shoot should recover more than the health consumes from BloodLetting due to Gloom`s health leech effect.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, MaxTunnerX said:

pillage does nothing for me for some reason

Hm, are you fighting against infested? If so, I think you also need blazing pillage. Against all other factions, they all have shield/armor, so pillage should work on them.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, (PSN)iuvenilis said:

Hm, are you fighting against infested? If so, I think you also need blazing pillage. Against all other factions, they all have shield/armor, so pillage should work on them.

I was fighting random grineer on earth normal mode. Maybe they are too weak to give me anything worthwile?

EDIT: Ive tried it on SP enemies in simulacrum and it worked much better, so I was right. Low level enemies just dont do.

Edited by MaxTunnerX

None of the mentioned frames are good because they will spec into range highly. I do not see how slowing the enemies in big range is such a great idea. It is literally only useful in 1,5 mission modes (Interception and to some degree Mobile Defence). All other modes you really do not want enemies stuck on the edges of your screen. You want to come close and maybe get cced in your direct vicinity (or objective - like stationery/operator Defense or Exctractor). 

So I would rather stick to low range frames that can use Gloom's  Leech as a survivability tool, rather than look for a slow application. CC-meta is dead long time ago, nowdays best cc is killing the enemy.

Garuda the best choice. Since she can be builded for every kind of builds and her Bloodletting frees player from energy orb pick up/Arcane Energize...

Edited by -MElHiOR-

Hildryn is candidate number one. Having it based on shields means that it will have uptime while also acting as decent tank option for mobile defense and stuff. My main go-to helminth option that I use, use it for roar archon hunts and perspicacity no-hack spy missions she just doesn't care about energy. But its kinda a one-trick pony but that is what's needed for those lame mission types.

Any way of sustaining energy would be the second option. There are a couple of direct options like Dispensary Sevagoth, Protea, Garuda etc. Could maybe try Trin but the energy drain from gloom means she can't use EV to restore it at the same time. But those are susceptible to stuff like Fire eximus units.

Put it on the 4 and you can take advantage of precision intensify+other strength options not called Blind Rage while using overextended so that you can get maximum range and slow but without the huge energy drain that Blind Rage adds due to the huge strength loss overextended would've provided if not for precision intensify.

Two options that can work really well depending on your KPS if you want something more than Gloom slow for mobile defense targets:

Nekros, put it on its first and his entire kit has synergies with each other, range for gloom and terrify, health regen from gloom to offset health drain from despoil. Desecrate to upkeep energy drain for Gloom. Shadows are there that can take advantage of whatever stats you have. Passive for health gain.

Archon flow, an energy orb a day keeps gloom active. Tons of options here. This was how I discovered the huge untapped potential in Archon Staff Wukong since the twin wielding the staff activates all of the archon mods, mainly archon flow, in which the provided energy orb can be used to upkeep both the exalted weapon's energy drain as well as Gloom or any other subsume ability.

2 hours ago, MaxTunnerX said:

I was fighting random grineer on earth normal mode. Maybe they are too weak to give me anything worthwile?

EDIT: Ive tried it on SP enemies in simulacrum and it worked much better, so I was right. Low level enemies just dont do.

Ah yup, it's quite likely Haven was killing them before pillage could do anything.

As others have mentioned, Garuda is also a top contender for infinite Gloom.

Mostly comes down to personal preference. Do you like their gameplay loop, do you like their fashion frame. You might like Garuda for certain missions/enemies, while favouring Hildy for others. I lean towards Hildy for the armor/shield strip, but that's basically redundant against low levels and infested.

Happy hunting, tenno.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, (PSN)iuvenilis said:

Ah yup, it's quite likely Haven was killing them before pillage could do anything.

As others have mentioned, Garuda is also a top contender for infinite Gloom.

Mostly comes down to personal preference. Do you like their gameplay loop, do you like their fashion frame. You might like Garuda for certain missions/enemies, while favouring Hildy for others. I lean towards Hildy for the armor/shield strip, but that's basically redundant against low levels and infested.

Happy hunting, tenno.

I didnt use haven at all. Anyway, Garuda seems interesting too, but I find her disgusting so Ill probably stick with Hildryn. Thank you and everyone else for the tips.

Edited by MaxTunnerX

12 hours ago, MaxTunnerX said:

which frame has the best synergy with gloom

The passives of Ember and Protea are nice to boost your Str a good bit,
letting you easily skip Blind Rage in your quest for max slowdown while also using Overextended.

Especially for stationary situations like MD, Protea's Dispensary then also greatly helps in keeping up your Energy.

Day form Equinox, boosting not just her own but also the Squad's Str with her Augment'd 3, has also worked out well for me.

11 hours ago, Zakkhar said:

I do not see how slowing the enemies in big range is such a great idea. It is literally only useful in 1,5 mission modes (Interception and to some degree Mobile Defence).

... which is exactly the usage case TC is after.

Also, I disagree on mass CC only being useful in such limited situations, there's plenty room for it all over the game.

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, NinjaZeku said:

The passives of Ember and Protea are nice to boost your Str a good bit,
letting you easily skip Blind Rage in your quest for max slowdown while also using Overextended.

Especially for stationary situations like MD, Protea's Dispensary then also greatly helps in keeping up your Energy.

Day form Equinox, boosting not just her own but also the Squad's Str with her Augment'd 3, has also worked out well for me.

... which is exactly the usage case TC is after.

Also, I disagree on mass CC only being useful in such limited situations, there's plenty room for it all over the game.

Hehe, ty for more tips. And yeah, I wanted to post the same thing, mobile defense and similar things are the reason why Im looking for this. And even though CC got rekt by nerfs (stupid eximus), it still works on most of the enemies you meet. Maybe not when youre in 999 level or whatever some people play, but I definitely dont, neither I play any kind of endurance runs or whatever.

Edited by MaxTunnerX

Banshee. The combination of Gloom and Silence turns enemies into defenseless and unresponsive piles of flesh. It's one of the very few ways to safely deal with level-cap infested because she becomes almost immortal.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MaxTunnerX said:

I was fighting random grineer on earth normal mode. Maybe they are too weak to give me anything worthwile

Hildryn only gains shields at the end of the pillage cycle. FYI so low level are probably dying too quickly. I recently learned this having been using Hildryn with elemental ward set to electricity. If you have range for your 3, the electricity cc's enemies in range. Pretty good all-around frame for 80% of content. Hildryn would be a great frame if one could replace both her 4 and her 1.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, (XBOX)Player244024418 said:

Hildryn only gains shields at the end of the pillage cycle. FYI so low level are probably dying too quickly. I recently learned this having been using Hildryn with elemental ward set to electricity. If you have range for your 3, the electricity cc's enemies in range. Pretty good all-around frame for 80% of content. Hildryn would be a great frame if one could replace both her 4 and her 1.

Yeah I have also noticed this, but at low levels, even when I didnt touch enemies at all and didnt use any other ability than gloom, I didnt get any visible shield boost.

1 hour ago, Zakkhar said:

Then slow nova basic kit is superior in every case.

Except that literally requires you to play Nova, which fails the very basic requirement I have. Gloom works with more than just 1 frame.

Edited by MaxTunnerX

1 hour ago, VibingCat said:

Banshee. The combination of Gloom and Silence turns enemies into defenseless and unresponsive piles of flesh. It's one of the very few ways to safely deal with level-cap infested because she becomes almost immortal.

Hmmm 🤔 this seems rather interesting, or even fascinating.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, VibingCat said:

Hell yeah. Do you want my build?

Nah its okay. Anyway, Ive never really used silence before, always thought it only made guns silent or something but its actually pretty neat. And this combo of yours is very sadistic I must say, although very effective.

2 hours ago, MaxTunnerX said:

Nah its okay. Anyway, Ive never really used silence before, always thought it only made guns silent or something but its actually pretty neat. And this combo of yours is very sadistic I must say, although very effective.

Together with Breach Surge, it's the only Helminth ability that offers protection from eximus. With lower range, it's also great at stunning enemies for two seconds. If you're a solo player, I wholeheartedly recommend it. It does not silence your weapons though.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, VibingCat said:

Oh by the way, this combo is not only funny and ridiculous, but it helps with pain in the a55 modes as well, like defection that I have just done. I felt like playing a hybrid of Qui-gon-jin and a nuclear bomb, "you didnt see anything" applied everywhere as the grineer guys just run past the enemies lmao. 10/10. And I havent even run out of energy once, not in any mission I have played with this combo today.

Edited by MaxTunnerX
  • Like 1