Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Trading Etiquette with other players.

Starvald-Demelain

Question

Good evening Tenno,

Had a quick question, I am attempting to acquire some mods that have been frustrating me for a while. Specifically some of the Orokin vault mods like critical delay. I decided I would purchase that mod from a player, and I am using the recommended market. My question is one of etiquette: When I copy the given text, I assume I am to whisper the seller in-game? Then is it customary for them to invite, or me to invite? Additionally, how is the trade performed, technically? I am not sure where I should be clicking to start trade, or select silver etc. Finally, is there a reputation/vouch system to post about the satisfactory trade? This community has been very nice so far, but I am scarred from several super negative interactions trading with players in Diablo 2 so I wanted to do my due diligence first.

Thanks!

8 answers to this question

If you're using wfmarket, the copied text acts as a whisper. Then if I get a response, I just ask if they want an invite, and usually whoever one of us invited the other will handle starting the trade itself. No real hard rules about it

Reputation is optional, I've never really bothered or asked for any

• Like 3

As mentioned, the copy/paste text includes the command and user name in it, so when you past it into your chat box, it will automatically send the whisper to the person who posted the listing. An important thing to note is that you should not modify the copy/paste message, especially not by changing the price in the message, as that is against the wf.m Terms of Service. If you want to haggle, or have any questions, notes, or additions (like if the person is selling multiple copies and you want to buy multiple) then do those things in a follow-up message.

In my experience, it's usually the person who posted the listing on warframe.market who sends the invite. This tends to be most convenient and smoothest way to handle things, because people like me post many orders and wait in our dojo for responses to come in, and sometimes we get slammed with many trade requests simultaneously. It can be a bit of a hassle and slow down everyone's transactions if I have to join someone else's squad and load into a foreign dojo. To say nothing of the fact that I may have a queue of people already in my squad waiting to trade.

If you don't get a response within a minute or so, you can send a follow-up message, which can include a question about whether they want to invite, or if you they want you to invite them. Sometimes people may miss the original message, or accidentally close your tab (something that is stupidly easy to do, due to some questionable UI design).

Often, the player who posted the listing will fire off an invite when they receive the copy/paste message, which you can accept without needing to say anything unless something goes wrong (like a failed connection).

As for how the trade is conducted, I would look up a video on the process on YouTube, or maybe read the wiki. It's fairly straight forward though. Usually the person whose dojo it is will use the Trading Post to invite the other player to a trading session. (Most dojos have the Trading Post within range of the spawn-in location for the dojo.) Once both players agree to the session, there will be two rows of six boxes, the top row is what you're offering, and the bottom row is what your partner is offering. Click any of the top boxes and choose the appropriate selection. Once both players have put up everything for the agreed upon trade, click the Accept button in the middle, then confirm the trade. Done.

A couple things to do before sending the message: enable two-factor authentication, and make sure you meet the Mastery Rank requirements (if any) for the equipment/parts/blueprints you are receiving, or if you want to trade a Riven mod, you have to be MR 8. But if you fail to double check this, most players will be understanding. Edit: Also, make  sure you have enough credits to cover the trade tax for the item. For most items, the trade tax is 8k credits or less; for a few things, like legendary mods and arcanes, it can be significantly higher, up to 2.1 million credits for a rank 5 legendary arcane.

On the wf.m site, there is reputation, there's a reputation tab on the user's profile page that you can use to leave rep, and there is a column indicating rep on the site where orders are listed. I wouldn't be too concerned about traders that have low rep, as if you pay attention to what is being traded, it's pretty hard to get scammed and almost everyone is honest. And most people don't bother leaving rep (it's like 1 in 10). But it's a nice thing to do if you have the time, and the trader was quick and friendly (as most are).

Edited by Tukka
  • Like 4

Overall, trading is pretty chill, so I would recommend not stressing about it.  Especially if you're not haggling, then you've both already agreed on the transaction and both of you just want to finish the trade as pleasantly as possible.  If you ever find yourself lost or confused mid-trade, just let the other player know what you don't understand and they'll help you through it, if not because they're a kind person then simply because helping you with that gets them the platinum they're after.

14 hours ago, Starvald-Demelain said:

When I copy the given text, I assume I am to whisper the seller in-game?

The text you copy is a pre-formatted whisper.  If you just put it in any chat box and press Enter, it will send the message to the player.

Then is it customary for them to invite, or me to invite?

There is no norm.  You send the message above and then you wait for them to reply.  They might just choose to invite you immediately, or they might ask you to invite them, or they might ask you to give them a second, etc.  Just treat it as you would any conversation between two people who are trying to navigate an exchange of goods in the alley behind a Safeway.

Additionally, how is the trade performed, technically? I am not sure where I should be clicking to start trade, or select silver etc.

Generally, a trade between two players will be performed in one of their Dojos.  If it's their Dojo, they are responsible for starting the trade, because they're the one who knows where the trading kiosk in their Dojo is.  If you invite them to your Dojo, then it's generally your job to start the trade.

You start the trade by going to the trading kiosk in your Dojo.  Use it, and once the other player is loaded in, you'll be able to select them and start a trade.  Be warned that if one of you is cross-play and the other isn't, you will not be able to trade, so if you have any difficulties this might be the reason why.

Finally, is there a reputation/vouch system to post about the satisfactory trade?

The Warframe Market site has a reputation system, but in my experience most players don't seem to actually bother with it.  Presumably because it's just more work to do and that can be a pain in the butt when all we both want is to do a trade.  But I'm sure there are some people who do use it, and I can't speak for them.

• Like 2

I am sorry to hear about your experiences in other games. 

Other people have already given good answers already, my experiences with Warframe players is that most are very chill, friendly types. I understand your concern and desire to know etiquette and pay due diligence all the same though too. 

I wouldn't say there is a norm regarding who invites who. Its one of those things that can just be discussed in the moment. I personally usually like to go with whatever the other person is comfortable. Some people will like to send an invite after any sort of message, and if they don't, I like to ask them, a question like "My dojo or yours?", since I am in a clan with my own dojo. Some people may not have a dojo though, but travelling to one, can be more convenient than the alternative. Generally though its the sort of thing that can be discussed between you and the other party. 

Actually I just realised I shouldn't assume you know what a Dojo is. Dojos are basically a customisable home space for clans. Not a bad idea to join a clan and to have access to a dojo. You can also start your own, but it might take extra time and resources, but you know, some people enjoy that. There are ways to trade without dojos, but if you don't have one, asking the player you contact to use their dojo should be fine. If they are a seller, they probably do have a dojo. Most people as far as I am aware, usually do have a dojo. Dojos also have trading posts. Which is the in game physical location, where you can access a console, and it will ask you if you want to trade with another player, and then you can select them and request a trade. If you are with a more experienced trader, especially if you are at their dojo, they'll probably get to it first and make the request to you, in which case you just need to accept. 

The user interface is pretty intuitive from there, as far as asking you want you want to trade and how to proceed. I can't make the promise that every person will be super kind, friendly and welcoming, but... if you communicate to people that you don't trade much and are still learning, most will be accomodating and do their best to help you. 

Plus if you have questions or worries, its totally okay to voice them here or ask about them here as well. 

All the best to you. 

In general, the seller invites. This is because sellers usually sell multiple items, while buyers most of the time buy 1 or a few items at once. So the seller doesn't have to travel all the time.

If you're unsure about trading and how it works, try it out with some cheaper items. The way Warframe has set it up, you basically cannot do a bad or cheat trade, unless you were not paying attention. There are several warnings on screen.

Most traders are nice. Some buyers are not.

Also you can look at reputation (in warframe.market). If you have a choice, trade with someone who has a higher reputation.

Depending on the mod amount it will be stressful to find sellers, most of the cheapest sellers are silent players, warframemarket bots, scammers, sellers with connection problems, loading screen disputes, toxity etc.

I've been trying for more than 40 minutes to complete the purchase of 3 sets and the experience is horrible.

On 2024-03-23 at 5:52 PM, UnstarPrime said:

haggling

Hisses in swedish like a vampire exposed to sunlight.

The posted price is what im paying or selling it for.

This word has made me cancel trades both as a buyer and seller.

Might he a cultural thing. 

12 hours ago, -ShadowRadiance- said:

Hisses in swedish like a vampire exposed to sunlight.

The posted price is what im paying or selling it for.

This word has made me cancel trades both as a buyer and seller.

Might he a cultural thing. 

Haggling for one item is meh, but asking for a discount if you buy several items is acceptable (set listed as set doesnt count)