Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Strict Nat

[DE]Glen

It looks like there is something wrong directly in game, because once it says all systems nominal, 10 minutes later STRICT NAT bullS#&$. 10 minut later all systems nominal again. With that amount of players they have, there should be dedicated servers, Look Warthunder, they have about same amount of people and they have dedicated servers even for private games.

DE has been futzing about with adding dedicated servers for the new quest hubs, apparently this has been triggering strict NAT alerts for the occasional player.

as for dedicated servers... as much as i'd love to see that happen... currently a game requires 1mbps for 3 players. (or 1.33 for 4)

scale that up with the number of active players and you can see that hosting costs would be prohibitive for DE to manage when the alternative is for the player base to front that cost (as we are now)

if they were to go that route, they'd obviously need to reduce the netcode bloat, and they've shown very little interest in doing that since they're not footing the bill...

if they were to go that route, they'd obviously need to reduce the netcode bloat, and they've shown very little interest in doing that since they're not footing the bill...

Because releasing new weapons and frames and maps is so much more important. Right? Right?! 

Ofc it would cost money, but strangely enough, f2p games with similar amount of players have no problem doing it. It's all about priorities. Maybe people would pay money if game actually works everytime they want to play and not just sometimes. Just now i had to wait an hour for Strict Nat to go away and i got back all systems nominal to be able to actually join some games and not having "failed to join session" everytime i want to play. Maybe if they fixed those problems p2p could work. But not only they are using the worst possible system, it doesn't even work properly. And all they talk about is meele 2.0. Guess what, fix game before making content.

Edited by senrimer

For those who wonder why they can join only certain people, there are 3 Types of NAT:

Open NATs can connect to any of the three types. --> Probably the least common type

Moderate can only connect to open and moderate. --> Probably the most common type

Strict can ONLY connect to open.

Moderate/Strict Nat problems are caused by your ISP using Private IP addresses. To have an open NAT you need to be switched to a Public IP address. This means that all traffic coming to your Public IP address is transparently forwarded to you. You should contact your ISP and ask about this. My ISP offered this service for additional 3eur/month, since then no more “Failed to join” messages and i can play with guild mates i couldn’t before.

To test what your NAT status is you can use Open Port Check (http://portforward.com/help/portcheck.htm). If your router is properly set up and you still getting port not open you are behind a strict NAT. Don’t trust the in-game Analyze Network, its not reliable.

For those who wonder why they can join only certain people, there are 3 Types of NAT:

Open NATs can connect to any of the three types. --> Probably the least common type

Moderate can only connect to open and moderate. --> Probably the most common type

Strict can ONLY connect to open.

Moderate/Strict Nat problems are caused by your ISP using Private IP addresses. To have an open NAT you need to be switched to a Public IP address. This means that all traffic coming to your Public IP address is transparently forwarded to you. You should contact your ISP and ask about this. My ISP offered this service for additional 3eur/month, since then no more “Failed to join” messages and i can play with guild mates i couldn’t before.

To test what your NAT status is you can use Open Port Check (http://portforward.com/help/portcheck.htm). If your router is properly set up and you still getting port not open you are behind a strict NAT. Don’t trust the in-game Analyze Network, its not reliable.

your isp is charging an extortion fee to give you full access to the internet and not be put under carrier grade nat?

um... find a new isp.

• 4 weeks later...

a cable modem is a straight-through system without configuration necessary in most cases. it simply supplies a live IP address to the router in-line to your network.

assuming your router is showing a live IP, then configuring it alone should be sufficient.

if your modem is supplying a private IP address, the best solution would be to configure it for a DMZ to your router.

at that point your router can handle the rest and you only need to figure it from then on.

so ill set my router to be the dmz host?

this would mean that your modem has routing functionality and assumes you have access to it by hooking it directly to a pc.

but if all of the above is true, yes.

at that point your router has full access to incoming traffic and can port-forward to other systems.

yes, it will differ.

connect your system directly to the modem, if your ip address is something like

192.168.X.X 

or

10.0.X.X

then your modem is giving out a non-live-ip address and is acting as a router.

you should then be able to connect to it directly (assuming your isp allows you to) 

and you can modify the settings accordingly.

if you're connecting through a router then you aren't looking at your modem, you're looking at your ROUTER.

Thanks, telnet command worked on Thompson TG1700 (fiber) router + ONT. I find the router menu a crap to forward ports. Only telnet via Admin permissions running CMD and Admin login on Router config. menu, worked as a good solution. Thnks!

Edited by wasupdude

looks like DE wont fix this due to its 7% of ppl... game is now UNPLAYABLE, the longer it takes to fix this, the more ppl will stop, if u wana lose everyone, go pull a GameFist

it would cost DE upwards to 5-7 employees per year to host all the games instead of a p2p system. leaves more money for development.

if your router sucks, get a better router (or preferably build your own -- considering 99.99% of commodity routers seem to be buggy, insecure or outright cracked by some government agency)

if your ISP sucks... well... unless you have an alternative then you're screwed. call your congressman / senator and start demanding net neutrality and certain fundamental controls of your data connection.

in most cases, it's your router that is the problem. (isolated incidents caused by DE's new code not withstanding)

Edited by xethier

My router is a linux box with an antenna. It handles our network just fine and I've forwarded the necessary ports (3960, 3962) but the game still does not recognize the ports as open. I do not nor will not use upnp it's not secure. I haven't been able to join any of my clan-member's games or vice versa. It's extremely frustrating, is there anything else I can do to help resolve this issue? Any help is greatly appreciated.

My router is a linux box with an antenna. It handles our network just fine and I've forwarded the necessary ports (3960, 3962) but the game still does not recognize the ports as open. I do not nor will not use upnp it's not secure. I haven't been able to join any of my clan-member's games or vice versa. It's extremely frustrating, is there anything else I can do to help resolve this issue? Any help is greatly appreciated.

which flavor of linux are you running?

is this a specific distro designed as a router or a home-brew?

have you specified UDP and not TCP?

other than making sure your IP address is correctly correlated with the forwarded ports (with wifi, unless it's MAC address is a reserved lease, it can be problematic) the only other thing i can recommend is to dig into your distro and see if there are any problems with UDP forwards.

edit:

also, check your ISP to see if they're doing any funny business. it's becoming all too common these days.

Edited by xethier

other than making sure your IP address is correctly correlated with the forwarded ports (with wifi, unless it's MAC address is a reserved lease, it can be problematic) the only other thing i can recommend is to dig into your distro and see if there are any problems with UDP forwards.

edit:

also, check your ISP to see if they're doing any funny business. it's becoming all too common these days.

it's nothing to do with my ISP that's for sure as I hard-connect the line to the computer bypassing the router  and the problem ceases. I have tested this using wire-shark packet sniffer and the following UDP port scanner,

[link]http://www.base64online.com/port-check.php[/udp]

Whenever I run a UDP port scan on 3960 and 3962 the ports are indeed open AND I can see the packest received and sent in wireshark.

Now whenever I log into Warframe the message,

Strict NAT detected, UPnP disabled. Please forward the UDP ports 3690 & 3962 etc...

I also do not see any pakcets whatsoever incoming on those ports, so nothing is being blocked on my end the packets are never even sent. As I paly the game I then went ahead and invited people until a number of them got the "Failed to join session" error, and during those instances no UDP packets were sent on either of those ports whatsoever. I'm starting to think there is something faulty in your net code guys because there is nothing wrong on my end as far as I can tell in terms of port accessibility.

it's nothing to do with my ISP that's for sure as I hard-connect the line to the computer bypassing the router  and the problem ceases. I have tested this using wire-shark packet sniffer and the following UDP port scanner,

[link]http://www.base64online.com/port-check.php[/udp]

Whenever I run a UDP port scan on 3960 and 3962 the ports are indeed open AND I can see the packest received and sent in wireshark.

Now whenever I log into Warframe the message,

I also do not see any pakcets whatsoever incoming on those ports, so nothing is being blocked on my end the packets are never even sent. As I paly the game I then went ahead and invited people until a number of them got the "Failed to join session" error, and during those instances no UDP packets were sent on either of those ports whatsoever. I'm starting to think there is something faulty in your net code guys because there is nothing wrong on my end as far as I can tell in terms of port accessibility.

there are a number of things faulty in the netcode.

you might try an alternate port range. i can't remember them offhand, check warframe's settings to see what is available.

Welp I suddenly can't start warframe anymore. While sitting at the galaxy map I got a strict nat error so I relogged - and now when the game starts I immediately get a "cannot join session" error before the login screen even appears. 

Checked my NAT and ports and they're in the clear still soo....

• 5 weeks later...