The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Lessons To Learn From Black Myth Wukong

Mikhael222

47 minutes ago, Xycelium said:

I swear the only people I've seen that complain about these companies, particularly SBI in particular, are either grifters who make everything into a culture war phenomenon to both simultaneously say that politics should stay out of video games while carrying out a political agenda of their own, or genuine bigots who can't stand to see anything involving a minority group in media.

Congratulations, you've hit on the secret: the "culture war" is a grift aimed at the terminally online. It can be safely ignored -- and by that I mean getting as many people as possible to ignore it makes the world a safer place

• Like 4

vor 12 Stunden schrieb Mikhael222:

The Wukong warframe used to be one of my favorite warframes to play with..... until it was nerfed in that rework back in 2018 or whenever it was.  And then Primed Range was also nerfed, making it basically useless, not even amusing for a low-level/just-for-fun build.

Like millions of other gamers, I pre-ordered Black Myth Wukong at full price.  I wanted to play it Day One of release, and I was not disappointed.  The environments are beautiful.  The combat is fluid and feels great.  The abilities are awesome.  I'm not saying DE should copy the game exactly, but DE could certainly take a lot of inspiration from BMW.

1. The Immobilize Spell.  Works well in BMW because it focuses on single-boss combat, but Warframe obviously involves fighting hordes of enemies.  Perhaps Wukong could hold the button to cast an immobilize-like spell on a single target, or tap the same ability button to freeze every enemy within a radius for half the time.
2. The Cloud Walker Spell.  The Wukong warframe has always had this, but the rework nerfed it.  Just un-nerf it.  Make it last longer.  Also, a temporary crit chance after exiting the cloud walker would be cool.
3. The Clone Spell.  I know that the Wukong warframe has "Celestial Twin" in the rework, but to be honest, I always thought it was kinda' pointless.  I liked in BMW that Wukong's clone spell summoned at least a half-dozen clones.  I know that Warframe has to think about server/bandwidth cost, so perhaps, as a trade, spawning multiple Wukongs could prevent the use of spawning any specters from the gear wheel.
4. The Invincibility Spell.  Okay I'll admit the original Wukong Defy could have been a bit broken at times.  With enough duration, you could be invincible for several minutes.  That being said, the BMW version of invincibility is pretty awesome.  You basically become an iron statue for a few seconds, and any enemy that tries to hit you gets knocked back.
5. Stop Taking Advice From Sweet Baby Inc. (Or Similar) Consultants.  Game Science earned an "overwhelmingly positive" rating on Steam from the real "modern audience." I readily spent $60 on BMW, but haven't spent a dime on platinum in several months because frankly, I'm tired and annoyed from rainbows, bunny ears, deluxe skins with unappealing taste (i.e. Wisp, Baruuk, Styanax), and mopey giants caressing each other because they haven't got a clue, a hobby, a life, or whatever is the problem.

The goals are different. The game is about a strong character with good skills. But Warframe is about ruination so that Wukong disappears from the top list. Hence these embarrassing lies in the forum about the supposed Wukong AFK army (which never existed) or that in Asia every group consists of 4 Wukongs. Although I rarely saw even 1 Wukong there for days.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xycelium said:

Ya know, I skimmed over this earlier and wasn't really going to give this my time and attention; however, I genuinely want to ask some of you;

Do some of y'all really see consultation companies as a threat towards game development?

I swear the only people I've seen that complain about these companies, particularly SBI in particular, are either grifters who make everything into a culture war phenomenon to both simultaneously say that politics should stay out of video games while carrying out a political agenda of their own, or genuine bigots who can't stand to see anything involving a minority group in media.

As a certified and proud bigot, I can agree with what you said about grifters making this into a career even though they have the same beliefs that you do and it makes me laugh when they say nonsense like "politics should stay out of video games" when games and media have always been a platform to spread beliefs and ideologies or manipulate/normalize trends.

• Like 2

The op's paragraphs are mostly a long winded way of saying  "unnerf Wukong" and I get the impression that the real point of this post is to complain about Warframe being "woke".

On the other hand some people's knee jerk reaction to call Black Myth Wukong a failure of a game created by awful devs is misguided. This culture war battle is so forced and artificial

edit: typo

Edited by HanShan7
  • Like 1

And here I thought all Wukong really needed was for Iron Staff to be switched to his first ability with a flat 25 energy cost and his clone to be switched to his fourth ability as a channeled ability that ONLY uses his Iron Staff, which would allow for enough incentive to re-buff the clone's damage output since it's a lot easier to balance the clone around just a single weapon as opposed to every weapon in the game.

Oh, and maybe an augment that reduces the damage of Celestial Twin by like 30-40% but spawns two additional clones that would be called "Splitting Hairs".  Almost feels like a missed opportunity.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Venus-Venera said:

It's hardly possible because too many resources are required and hosts often have old hardware (in my experience). 🙂
and even masterpieces like Doom (2D engine) with mods have difficulties. 🙂

The Switch is able to run Age of Calamity and Fire Emblem Heroes. So it's still possible. The problem is warframe's gaming engine doesn't function like that. It doesn't do shorthanded approach.

5 hours ago, Venus-Venera said:

It's hardly possible because too many resources are required and hosts often have old hardware (in my experience). 🙂
and even masterpieces like Doom (2D engine) with mods have difficulties. 🙂

2 hours ago, ominumi said:

The Switch is able to run Age of Calamity and Fire Emblem Heroes. So it's still possible. The problem is warframe's gaming engine doesn't function like that. It doesn't do shorthanded approach.

The real issue isn't resources but enemy behavior, in a game design sense

Enemies from Dynasty Warriors (Hyrule Warriors included) aren't allowed to even attack you 99% of the time. They're a test of your efficiency. Imagine if all 200 Crewmen and Moas would literally just stand around staring at you while the one or two Eximus that also spawned spammed their Eximus powers. Whereas in Warframe, all 40 enemies who have spawned will attack ceaselessly and relentlessly with their individual cooldowns

• Like 1

18 hours ago, TARINunit9 said:

Those aren't two groups of people, they're the same group of people. The people complaining about "woke" ARE the people thinking everything should cater to their way of thinking. I don't want to get deep into the weeds on this forum, but the people who think Black Myth Wukong had literally any parallels to the American/British online culture war (or indeed that the online culture war does anything in the real world at all) seriously need to reevaluate their free time. They won't, but they need to

I have no idea why you're trying to change the point I made, while being hostile toward me despite the fact that it sounds like we're on the same side.

Wukong in Black Myth is the only playable character thoguh (minus the transformations): all the devs effectively only had one moveset to make and perfect, so naturally he's gonna have a way better kit and feeling to our Wukong, who is limited to 4 powers and has to compete with over 50 other frames.

personally I think he's fine now, except for his 4 being underpowered, but that applies to nearly all frames with exalted weapons.

2 hours ago, MrDugan said:

I have no idea why you're trying to change the point I made, while being hostile toward me despite the fact that it sounds like we're on the same side.

I was agreeing with your overall point but correcting a detail, that's all

7 hours ago, TARINunit9 said:

The real issue isn't resources but enemy behavior, in a game design sense

Enemies from Dynasty Warriors (Hyrule Warriors included) aren't allowed to even attack you 99% of the time. They're a test of your efficiency. Imagine if all 200 Crewmen and Moas would literally just stand around staring at you while the one or two Eximus that also spawned spammed their Eximus powers. Whereas in Warframe, all 40 enemies who have spawned will attack ceaselessly and relentlessly with their individual cooldowns

Equips Ivara. Go Invis. Huh? Everyone is just staring at me not attacking. Oh wait Eximus spam.

20 hours ago, Venus-Venera said:

The goals are different. The game is about a strong character with good skills. But Warframe is about ruination so that Wukong disappears from the top list. Hence these embarrassing lies in the forum about the supposed Wukong AFK army (which never existed) or that in Asia every group consists of 4 Wukongs. Although I rarely saw even 1 Wukong there for days.

I'm from the Philippines and whenever I play 4 out of 5 games I play have at least 1 Wukong and 1 out of those 4 games I'm the only one that isn't a Wukong because I main Rhino. I don't know if my testimony would be enough but I see it all the time. The only place I rarely see Wukong is in SP Circuit where I think I see him around 1 every 10 games or so.

GS had awesome ideas years ago shame they went for money grab but ''our DE'' are on next level they have respect for us as humans beings that being said we could learn from many games i for one would like to expand on races in warframe atp i kinda feel claustophobic compared to other sci fi games and i did not like design of sentients so if anything could have been learned its from GS i (game science) wukong itself not so much a few things perhaps 

An age to think outside the box should come again and leave humanity humanoids /humans (yes i know how it sounds) but not to follow the path of anime. An idea or 2 but not too much.