The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Dev Workshop: Koumei & the Five Fates - New Player Experience and Quality of Life

[DE]Taylor

1 hour ago, [DE]Taylor said:

1 - Void Relics now display owned and crafted status of their possible rewards! 

ea955c9a1e913a9b789f0b1ce61c48d1.png

Players can now easily see crafted/owned status of items from their Relics when viewed in the Void Relic selection screen and on-hover as mission rewards. This functionality also applies to the Relic Reward selection screen upon successfully cracking a Relic.

How will components of Crafted items show up? If I own the Epitaph Prime, but the Epitaph Prime Barrel shows up as Unowned that's incredibly unhelpful and confusing. It should show if it's Crafted and/or if it's Owned. Crafted if you own the Item it makes, Owned if you have that part itself, and both if you own the Item it crafts and have an extra of that part.

Also, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, add the Crafted/Owned Icons to the reward screen too.

Edit: I'm blind, they are! YAY!

Edited by MerlintheAgeless
  • Like 5

these are really nice changes but they don't address the 2 biggest complaints, slots and craft times

what about giving new players 5 warframe slots and 10 weapon slots by default? it's not much anyway and that's the issue most of my friends have had with the game. they're not gonna buy plat or be smart with their starter plat until later

and craft times are too long. make a new item that autocompletes a build and costs the same amount of plat as the rush feature in the foundry and then give new players like 5 of them for free. this is kind of a bandaid solution anyway but it would be better than nothing, having limited time to play then seeing you need to wait 3 days to even try your new warframe really sucks

Edited by tomwork27
typos
  • Like 13

1 hour ago, [DE]Taylor said:

image.png

Dev Workshop: Koumei & the Five Fates - New Player Experience and Quality of Life

Warframe has introduced more than 10 years of systems and mechanics, leaving players with a variety of content to explore. For players who are just starting their Warframe journey, this depth can be overwhelming, causing many to rely on community tutorials and friendly neighborhood Tenno in Q&A Chat. We’ve made efforts to improve new player onboarding over the years, but 2024 has seen a concerted effort on this front especially. 

Recap of New Player Experience Changes Thus Far:

Reveal hidden contents
  • Update 35.1: 
    • Solaris United & Vox Solaris Syndicate Sacrifice Changes, added Dreamer’s Bond Aura Mod, and various Quest improvements.
  • Dante Unbound - Update 35.5:
    • Reduced Quest crafting build times, reworked Railjack Market bundle, improved Mote Amp Acquisition, and various Quest and Junction improvements.
  • Jade Shadows - Update 36:
    • Debt Bond drop rate rework, Voidrig acquisition improvements, added Awakening checkpoints, improved resource and blueprint location descriptions, moved Duviri to Uranus Junction, and various Quest and Junction improvements. 
  • The Lotus Eaters - Update 36.1
    • New player combat improvements, increased Enemy Sense on landscapes, reworked Excavation objective text and waypoints, and various Quest improvements.

Every major update this year has included New Player Experience improvements of some sort, and Koumei & the Five Fates is no different! Let’s take a look at what to expect:

Quest Changes:

• When selecting your Starter Warframe in the Awakening Quest, stats will no longer be displayed by default in on-hover Ability descriptions. These stats have been moved to a separate tab in this on-hover pop-up. 
    • This change is part of an ongoing effort to elevate critical information for new players while reducing extraneous details that could lead to information overload. 
  • Reduced the hacking puzzle speed in Awakening and Vor’s Prize. 
    • Since players are learning how to use Grineer Hacking consoles for the first time, this change allows them to get used to the mechanic without it feeling too punishing or overwhelming. 
  • Incubating your first Kubrow in Howl of the Kubrow will now only take 60 seconds instead of the original 48 hours.
    • Many Quest crafting requirements were reduced across the board with Dante Unbound earlier this year. Now Howl of the Kubrow also meets this standard!

New Player Quality of Life Changes:

• Unowned Mods viewed in the Codex will now show their full descriptions and drop locations.
    • Currently, undiscovered Mods show the Mod’s name and “??????” in lieu of their description. Players who are interested in these Mods would have to go to external sources to learn more about them. With Koumei’s launch, they can read their Description and Drop location in the Codex regardless of ownership. 
  • Selling an unmastered item from your Inventory will now display a pop-up message recommending them to rank it up to Level 30 (or Level 40 for overleveled equipment like the Paracesis) before attempting to sell it!
    • This is another method of educating players on the Mastery Rank system and helping new and old players not miss out on Mastery before selling their gear.
      ddfe5eee4e2a3bd9b65f6cd8b1a408f4.png
  • Unlocking an Ability will now show the Input needed to cast it in the “Ability Unlocked” pop-up!
    • New Tenno who Rank up their Warframes have little context for what “Radial Blind” means without venturing into the Abilities screen, but now they will be directed to test out these unlocks via the input on-screen. This change applies to all players regardless of Mastery Rank, so everyone should benefit from this Quality of Life change while Ranking up new Warframes!
      5343b3909b725920268ce920f6b79797.jpg
  • If a piece of equipment in a player’s loadout has 10+ unused Mod capacity and an unused Mod slot, a warning symbol will appear next to it in the Loadout section of the Navigation screen. This only applies to weapons with 10-30 unused Mod Capacity (or 10-40 for Lich/Sister weapons), and will not appear if you are Mastery Rank 30 or higher.  
    • The goal of this change is to encourage new players to Mod their equipment, and learn about Mod capacity as they continue to level up their equipment. 
      c07ef4b40ef99b775a6031838922bfa2.png
    • Not included in the screenshot above: > MR 5 players will see an “Empty Mods” pop-up and an on-hover tooltip to explain the reason for this icon. 
  • Open Landscape Maps now feature a Legend for the Advanced Map view and new icons for the Extraction Points (ie. Cetus, Fortuna, and Necralisk).
    • Open Landscapes operate differently from normal Warframe missions, which can be hard for new players to grasp at first. Saya’s Vigil has received changes to reinforce the “Enter and Exit through the Cetus Doors” mechanic, and this addition expands upon that goal. 
      23957d871a0cee60f1bf9085b54b9b4d.jpg
  • Fish resource descriptions have been updated to indicate where players can find the Fish that the resource is earned from. Fish descriptions (accessed via Chat Linking) have also been updated to list relevant information to secure the catch. 
  • Added illustrative diagrams to modding tips in the Upgrade and Mod menus, and updated these tips to offer relevant information for players learning about Modding.  

General Quality of Life Changes:

In addition to our New Player Experience changes, Koumei brings a bevy of general improvements that apply to all Tenno!

1 - Void Relics now display owned and crafted status of their possible rewards! 

ea955c9a1e913a9b789f0b1ce61c48d1.png

Players can now easily see crafted/owned status of items from their Relics when viewed in the Void Relic selection screen and on-hover as mission rewards. This functionality also applies to the Relic Reward selection screen upon successfully cracking a Relic.

2 - Tenno can now favorite equipment in their Arsenal!

d315ba1320c9f904477392b76a5114a8.png

When browsing equipment in your Arsenal, you now have the option to “Favorite” Warframes, Weapons, Cosmetics, and more. Favorited Equipment appear at the top of the list when equipping items in your Arsenal, ensuring you always know right where to find them. Never lose track of that one Revenant Prime that you love more than the others ever again!

3 - The Fusion screen has received a refresh to simplify UI elements and bring the fused Mod to the forefront.

cb51585342426d5658daf14306d8be31.png

Players can now also Fuse any non-max rank Mods via the Upgrade Screen. Doing so brings up the same Fusion menu to streamline any changes you make to your builds.

bbcbd5eace14bbf06c05389a3a0c27ea.png

4 - Settings that are not set to Default are now marked with a diamond indicator in the Settings menu.

c4bfe1881bfb7f97bbb1be72d15f1052.jpg

If you want to reset that particular setting to Default, you can interact with that indicator to do so! Also, the “Reset to Defaults” option in the Settings menu will now only apply defaults to the current Settings tab.

5 - Purchasing Arcanes from a Vendor now displays how many Arcanes you own per rank.

92ce2847af494f45c2704458fcab0177.png

Each filled diamond icon represents one rank! Also added the rank UI element to Arcanes in the Vendor wares to more clearly indicate that they are unranked. 

Looking Forward:

If you’ve offered advice to new players, asked questions about what to do next in-game, shared feedback in our Forums / Reddit, or even streamed your first foray into Warframe — you have helped us further refine our New Player Experience. There is still room for improvement, so here’s a look at just some of the changes we’re working on that won’t make it in for Koumei:

• Improving Quests menu in the Codex to clearly distinguish Story, Warframe, and Side Quests. 
  • Adding small narrative introductions to planets and their Assassination targets as players move through the Star Chart.
  • Further adjustments to Awakening, Vor’s Prize, and other early-game Quests.
  • Curating our loading screen tips to player progression. 
    • Ex: Players during Vor’s Prize will only see tips focused on beginner controls and mechanics. 

This is only a small snippet of what our team has been discussing, but we don’t want to over-promise! Should you wish to provide us with feedback on how to improve our New Player Experience, we’ve added a dedicated “New Player Experience” subforum to our Feedback forums: 

https://forums.warframe.com/forum/1994-new-player-experience/

Thanks for reading, Tenno! :community:

Any possibility you guys will need fixing waypoints? More specifically the way points leading you to a downed teammate, when they go into last gasp their marker gets stuck on the last doorway it was on

• Like 7

Speaking of new player experience there is one thing I can think of that will also benefit long-time players.

Could we get better logic for Parallax air support? When using it with a new player in a squad it can ping upwards of a dozen scannable items making it a pain for everyone since the new players are attracted to the new highlighted items thus veering them off of the objective and it is very unhelpful for everyone else who already has those items scanned since didn't deploy the air support for that reason.

• Like 4

dont know if this is quite related, but can we please get a UI indication of which items are equipped? If I have 2 rank 5 arcanes and want to trade one, I have to blindly guess which is the one I want to trade and which is equipped. If I guess wrong I get the pop up stating that this one is equipped, but it would be super helpful if I didn't have to struggle through the menu like that. Same goes for mods of the same rank etc. Additionally, can we please be able to fuse arcanes mid-trade so i dont have to cancel and be like "oops i have to fuse these so I can fit them in the trade menu for you"

• Like 8

These are very nice changes! On this note, when will we be able to "hide crafted" much like "hide owned" and "hide mastered" as a filter when viewing vendors and similar UIs? That would be a major QoL for players tracking their inventory and hiding items that can only be earned once (like a majority of Nightwave offerings, crafted cosmetics, etc.). Similarly, this feature would include parts of items already crafted/owned, such as Vauban blueprints from Nightwave offerings when the player owns Vauban.

2 hours ago, [DE]Taylor said:

5 - Purchasing Arcanes from a Vendor now displays how many Arcanes you own per rank.

92ce2847af494f45c2704458fcab0177.png

Each filled diamond icon represents one rank! Also added the rank UI element to Arcanes in the Vendor wares to more clearly indicate that they are unranked. 

Will this UI change be available for the trading UI as well? It's a major annoyance to have no indication on owned Arcanes and what is currently equipped when trading duplicates.

Edited by Voltage
  • Like 10

34 minutes ago, tomwork27 said:

these are really nice changes but they don't address the 2 biggest complaints, slots and craft times

what about giving new players 5 warframe slots and 10 weapon slots by default? it's not much anyway and that's the issue most of my friends have had with the game. they're not gonna buy plat or be smart with their starter plat until later

and craft times are too long. make a new item that autocompletes a build and costs the same amount of plat as the rush feature in the foundry and then give new players like 5 of them for free. this is kind of a bandaid solution anyway but it would be better than nothing, having limited time to play then seeing you need to wait 3 days to even try your new warframe really sucks

I agreed with this I did have a friend who wanted to get a few more frames early but just didn't have the slots for them and I told them to spend the free 50plat on slots but seeing how many frames we have now the first 2 slots just seems so low.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PublikDomain said:

Good god we're so close to having underclocking.

Yes! I would love that, especially for the mods you can only get one of such as the Thermia mods and log-in mods. I have them intentionally set at rank 8 so that I don't run into capacity issues since you can't get another one.

E: While this does involve forma I don't see this impacting that bottom line unlike the other suggestions that I'm seeing posted here. There is still the chance DE wants to ensure players farm multiple of the same mod to do this in which case can we please get something else for the one-ofs mods then?

Edited by Numerounius
  • Like 3

Begging you, move those 15 Loadout slots from MR30 Level up to all Odd MR's Level ups, since they dont give Loadout slot, only Even MR's give one. This massively killed my desire to have multiple warframes for making individual builds when i was new player, especially since loadout slots are 20 plat, when i barely had plat to buy Warframe/Weapon/Pet slots

• Like 3

hace 1 hora, _Rai-Zen_ dijo:

Can you reconsider bringing back old heavy attack? (always heavy slam is annoying when using incarnon melees + its abused by wukong players [aka once again wukong will be as top played.] If ya change it soon there will be less rewiew bombing so please bring old heavy attack back)

And you have a problem with people playing Wukong because...

• Like 3