The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why are some Rivens astronomically expensive?

(XBOX)Lightningclaw11

Like others have stated, getting a really good riven mod is rare. 

There are no mods like them in game. Why use a basic crit damage mod....when you can use a mod with crit damage, toxin, and attack speed? It's 3 regular mods in 1 mod. That opens possibilities and modding choice that would never be available using regular game mods. 

Rivens literally give you extra mod slots. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, (XBOX)ECCHO SIERRA said:

I don't even know how many times I've seen people lose their S#&$ because they don't understand this.

"ARE YOU CRAZY THATS MORE MONEY THAN BALDURS GATE 3 REEEE OMG BBQ WTF 111!!!"

and on the flipside of that there are people straight up not worried about spending cash either.

I knew somebody who had a job, I won't say what it was, but it was Healthcare related, who would just buy plat outright (from DE i don't mean real money trades) because he made enough per hour he didn't think grinding was worth the time.

Just because a transaction doesn't make sense to one person doesn't mean it doesn't to everyone else.

I've run into people like that too.

I few years ago when I was actively selling rivens I had a return customer that would message me something like "I got another 4k plat what you got?". Eventually I started finding them specific rivens and I would get a finders fee. They would also check my listings online and offer significantly higher than asking price if I took the listing down and held it until they could log on. They had a good job, not much time to play and wanted nice things without having to do the leg work. It was a mutually beneficial arrangement. 

• Like 1

Capitalism, supply and demand. Min-maxers looking for that hit of dopamine. Torid, Laetum, Verglas, Glaive, and Ceramic Dagger are some of the highest in demand while nobody is out here asking for a Stug riven outside of a meme build. Three days of running Cephalon Simaris scan targets for a chance at a 600p+ pay day is so very worth it right now.

Wheres My Money GIF

• Like 1

3 hours ago, (PSN)Magician_NG said:

Capitalism, supply and demand. Min-maxers looking for that hit of dopamine. Torid, Laetum, Verglas, Glaive, and Ceramic Dagger are some of the highest in demand while nobody is out here asking for a Stug riven outside of a meme build. Three days of running Cephalon Simaris scan targets for a chance at a 600p+ pay day is so very worth it right now.

Wheres My Money GIF

Hilarious, I did exactly that, got a verglas riven, posted it, and got a pm for 600 offer yesterday.

2 hours ago, (XBOX)ECCHO SIERRA said:

I wonder how efficient that actually is compared to other "plat farms right now". 

It's ok for a quick chunk of plat if you're gonna not spend it right away. 

But actually farming only for verglas would take forever because of the daily standing and finding buyers every time. 

I'm sure some "ultra elite" gamer is doing that, but not me. It's a one off sale and I won't be farming another.

On 2024-09-25 at 3:32 AM, Berzerkules said:

Generally the people spending thousands of plat on a riven aren't buying plat. They have already earned enough plat through trading to buy whatever they want and know they can make more plat whenever they want. 

Just because it would cost $100 to purchase enough plat from DE to purchase a riven does not mean that riven is worth $100. There is no way to cash out plat for money so once plat is in the game it holds no monetary value. Once you realize plat is worthless it becomes a lot easier to throw thousands of plat at a single mod. 

It was both. I don't suppose anyone remembers the Riven Mafia?

Most veterans have 6 digits. The Riven Mafia were not just veterans but market farmers so likely in the upper 6 digits. They combined their plat to corner the Riven market vastly increasing price like any market farmer. I made most my plat from selling my progress, extra event mods and similar.

Making the amount of plat we used to make, esp how we made it simply isn't realistic anymore. This of course leads into my own theory of why DE doesn't make real veteran content. They want our plat out of the economy. Excessive Plat does having meaning but only if those players are active.

That small group showed DE how much damage veterans could do to the economy so now everything is worth nothing. In DE's attempt to profit off a near-lootbox mechanic they accidentally devalued their own premium currency. It's also likely why most gains are now weekly bound.

Excessive Plat might not mean anything to some players. I treat it like a high score myself but DE very much cares.

Hi tenno I will try to explain (I will assume you are new tenno)

Earning plat in warframe is easy and can be done in many ways (at almost any point in game perhaps a bit harder when you are new and a bit under-geared it gets easier fast)

that being said 200 plat can be earned in less than 1h (even faster if u lucky) I would recommend you do see market place (to see what sells)

Some rivens are so good that they change stats on some weapons to the point its beyond awesome (depending on roll ofc)

No matter how much IRL money you have or dont warframe is super fair free game and PLATINUM can be traded to other players 

If you ever get god roll you will understand it and u can still get everything for FREE

Game is deep and when u get a bit better grasp on market you will see how fun actually trading /plat and playing for free is.

We support DE with real money (on stuff we want) because its Free game for everybody rich and poor and everybody in middle. We want to see it live forever. 

59 minutes ago, TennoPain said:

Hi tenno I will try to explain (I will assume you are new tenno)

Earning plat in warframe is easy and can be done in many ways (at almost any point in game perhaps a bit harder when you are new and a bit under-geared it gets easier fast)

that being said 200 plat can be earned in less than 1h (even faster if u lucky) I would recommend you do see market place (to see what sells)

Some rivens are so good that they change stats on some weapons to the point its beyond awesome (depending on roll ofc)

No matter how much IRL money you have or dont warframe is super fair free game and PLATINUM can be traded to other players 

If you ever get god roll you will understand it and u can still get everything for FREE

Game is deep and when u get a bit better grasp on market you will see how fun actually trading /plat and playing for free is.

We support DE with real money (on stuff we want) because its Free game for everybody rich and poor and everybody in middle. We want to see it live forever. 

I am not new (or at the very least not that new), I'm a returning player. I am aware of how to get plat, and have been earning plat from trading rare prime parts & sets and rare mods the past couple months. I have access to steel path but haven't touched it outside of circuit because I want to make sure my main builds are fully complete first (Arcane farming is gonna be fuuuuuuun). Mods are all done and shards are finished for Sevagoth, arcanes are done for my melee and secondary. Just contemplating on what other arcane to run on Sevagoth and trying to finish Longbow Sharpshot for Cinta. I've already thanked everyone for explaining the riven prices to me, but ty again :]

I've also mainly been using warframe market ever since I started trading and have cross-save all setup, and even helped others set it up too when they didn't have it. I only decided to open trading chat for quick responses on selling/buying rivens because most people on market forget about their listings for rivens and never take it down when they do sell it off. Sometimes people do naturally get bored of the game and don't touch it for awhile, and then respond way later. Tried to buy an Epitaph riven off someone before and they didn't respond until 2 weeks later because they got bored and got really into the new Final Fantasy game that came out, it's natural for people to shift interest.